Important Alert For Mumbaites wrt Epidemic Alert

HI Friends, Just got this in mail. BMC has sounded an epidemic alert in Mumbai. This is for those who interacted / waded through floods in the past few days. To protect yourselves from diseases like plague, dengue, leptospriosis, etc. pleas…

thnx for tht prompt alert ..:thumbsup:
already forwaded as an corporate mail chain...so tht ppl r b aware of this..

-Dilip-

Thanx for the information.

Wasnt aware B4, But now got aware.

Hey thx man will pass the message around .. and hope people dont fall prey to any rumours .. lots of it doing the rounds .. it is all peaceful and calm now ...

Rumours ..??

You mean like this?

Hey it jus wont stop rainin...all you guys out there please pray for us...
the rains jus seem to be gettin from bad to worse.

just heard in the FM the rains may get worse as b4. ppl ve been alerted to stay at home rather than hanging out.........

dont u guyz think it would b better if we consult a doctor before we go ahead with these medications??
i waded thru neck deep water in vile parle..
right now in pune..will go back to mumbai as and when situation gets better.

ur rite jumbo
this thing was shown 2day on TV too but it said its better 2 consult 2 a doc b4 taking these med. As far as rohit i knw ur not a doc so dont spread such rumors we already see the consequences of rumors. it might happen that even u may be got caught here

@rohit dont take it seriously

but its better 2 consult some doc

btw did u gave TIME mock

maybe estranged guy is right abt medicine....but y take chances....better to consult doctor before taking any medicine.
i hve been getting brown drinkning water for 2 days and cant find bisleri....rains suck big time.

Ya..

No ****ing electricity for days.

Work is so badly affected. How to explain to customers in the US that we don't have a proper drainage system.. had ppl asking for refunds b'coz wasn't able to reply to email.

Perhaps one should take solace in the fact that I could hear the calm sound of the waves lapping right outside my window. Didn't have to go to the beach for that..

BMC has sounded an epidemic alert in Mumbai. This is for those who interacted / waded through floods in the past few days. To protect yourselves from diseases like plague, dengue, leptospriosis, etc. please take the following medication :
Please pass on this message.

thnx for tht prompt alert ..:thumbsup:
already forwaded as an corporate mail chain...so tht ppl r b aware of this..

axterix Says
Hey thx man will pass the message around ..

Thanks to people's generous efforts, there is now a shortage of Doxycycline in Mumbai since it is being hoarded, and those poor junta who actually need it won't get it.
The BMC has blamed it on chain emails and sms'es. Today's HT for details.

Don't mean to be judgemental, but ..

Rohit,

The point of my post was there is no need for stocking essential drugs when one doesn't need it. And that it *might* be prudent to desist from imploring people to do so.

If someone from the forum is ill, they will go to a doctor, who will tell them what to do without having to Google it up first.

Obviously the drug you mentioned is the correct drug, or so many poor people wouldn't be needing it all of a sudden. But since there is no point in expecting the BMC to come up with enough Doxycycline for the entire city, the availiable resources must not be tied up with people who have no need for it.

And no-one is blaming you personally. Discretion, as always, remains the better part of valour.

estranged_gnrs Says
...encryption of data fails in a 64 bit processor and if it resides in a whorish kind of atmoshere,many bugs...

I consider it beneath my level to respond to that.
"64BitWhore"| Says
The point of my post was there is no need for stocking essential drugs when one doesn't need it. And that it *might* be prudent to desist from imploring people to do so.

|"estranged_gnrs" Says
BMC has sounded an epidemic alert in Mumbai. This is for those who interacted / waded through floods in the past few days. To protect yourselves from diseases like plague, dengue, leptospriosis..

Well considering the fact that the whole of mumbai was inundated wouldnt the sentence in bold face indicate almost everyone in mumbai who had ventured out that day?:) Surely ,I mean surely all said and done one cannot ignore the self preservation aspect.....if it was a canard I would have stood up with you but considering the fact that the likelihood of epidemic is high for *everyone* surely passing on such messages cannot be construed as lacking in discretion....:)
Just my 2p.....
Well considering the fact that the whole of mumbai was inundated wouldnt the sentence in bold face indicate almost everyone in mumbai who had ventured out that day?:) Surely ,I mean surely all said and done one cannot ignore the self preservation aspect.....if it was a canard I would have stood up with you but considering the fact that the likelihood of epidemic is high for *everyone* surely passing on such messages cannot be construed as lacking in discretion....:)
Just my 2p.....

Good point. Almost everyone was affected, in one way or the other. Regarding the medication, I checked up with the Medical Supt. @ Bhagwati hospital , he said taking the doses wasn't absolutely necessary, but as a precaution you could do it. Although even I didn't know how the email/message started off , as far as I know everyone checked with their doc before going forward with the medication.

The original concept of warning citizens against the possibility of Leptospriosis is a good thing. But

estranged_gnrs Says
please take the following medication :
..self medication ?

I continue to maintain that it is incorrect to advise self-medication in a public forum. A description of the threat, followed by the symptoms and an exhortation to visit a doctor if the symptoms appear.. to me this seems like the tone to adopt.

But like PG says, if we can rely on people to always consult their doctors then I stand corrected.

What about the induced(?) shortage of the particular medicine; was it desirable to name the drug rather than just the diseases? Haven't made up my mind on this.. any comments?

ha ha :-)) that was irresponsibly funny!

64BitWhore Says
If someone from the forum is ill, they will go to a doctor, who will tell them what to do without having to Google it up first.
is what I said, I meant this as a statement against self-medication, not Google!

Again, no intention to blame you personally.. it's ridiculous to do so.

There were two points I wished to make.
1) Not to ask people to take medicine, but tell them about symptoms and refer to a doctor.
2) Not to ask people to buy medicine since panic-stockpiling will lead to unavailiability.

I think now that point 1) is unnecessary .. since everyone thinks people will consult doctors anyways. About 2) it has already happened.

I think the underlying problem is our (mine included) readiness to hit the "Fwd:" and "Send" buttons without reflecting on the consequences. Can't blame anyone, but most members of PG have both an high IQ and high responsibility and should know better. In case it was anywhere else I would not have commented.

Anyways, I have nothing more to add on this so will shut up now :-)

Cheers, and I hope no one you know falls prey to illness..
Hail the spirit of the city!

'Coz I do n we got that mail from Corporate.

:grin: