Importance of IIMs

Puys! I often wonder why there’s so much desparation and determination shown by all aspirants for getting the coveted IIM seat. Is it the campus,placements,life? Maybe not. There’s something more to it. I couldn’t find this thread anywhere on the …

Puys! I often wonder why there's so much desparation and determination shown by all aspirants for getting the coveted IIM seat. Is it the campus,placements,life? Maybe not. There's something more to it. I couldn't find this thread anywhere on the forum so decided to start a new one(Mods you can close it if you wish). Why is it sensationalised or given more importance if that's not the right word. Everyone specifically seniors plz throw some light on this. Your insights are important for all aspirants here to get them going and driving.

rahulmn Says
Puys! I often wonder why there's so much desparation and determination shown by all aspirants for getting the coveted IIM seat. Is it the campus,placements,life? Maybe not. There's something more to it. I couldn't find this thread anywhere on the forum so decided to start a new one(Mods you can close it if you wish). Why is it sensationalised or given more importance if that's not the right word. Everyone specifically seniors plz throw some light on this. Your insights are important for all aspirants here to get them going and driving.

As far as I have come to know from my friends in IIMs,there are some top recruiters who prefer only IIMs for recruiting,while there are some who recruit for their front office jobs exclusively from A,B,C and back office from the rest.Also the tag of IIM can get you to a good company more easily after having some experience compared to rest other B-Schools.

sometimes its a lot to do with satisfying your ego.....and a reaffirmation of your IQ.
Some ppl are clear why they want to do MBA. But a few are reaffirmation seekers.

This can be an interesting discussion provided the thread starter (rahulmn) shows up here to actively guide it. As of now I see replies but the thread starter is gayab. I guess we Mods can close it if he is still nowhere to be seen after a couple of days.

sometimes its a lot to do with satisfying your ego.....and a reaffirmation of your IQ.
Some ppl are clear why they want to do MBA. But a few are reaffirmation seekers.

Well said buddy, someone somehow finds the reason to go for CAT(IIM's). Either to fulfill their ego or realise their dream/vision.

its a natural human tendency to go for the best ....and IIMs are the best in India as of now ........no doubt about it ......however the competition being very tough ....its very difficult to crack the CAT on a particular day even if one is sure to crack it (going by his\her practice test results) -so people get disappointed (naturally so) and start criticizing the test procedure and IIMs too .... does not matter though .....what is best is best ......

To add to whatever has been said in this thread,I feel its the peer group that makes a huge difference.Everyone in the batch is very good and that makes a huge difference in terms of

1. Learning
  2. Rub off effect-Even if someone is not that good he goes through with the flow of brilliance of the others and that makes a difference in terms of SIP,final placements and this effect remains when he/she enters the industry.All graduates from that institute are good,he is from that institute...So he must be good-that's the general perception.
  3. Competition-Positive effect

NB: This is purely my opinion.People might agree to disagree.

an IIM call is indeed a coveted one.. the peer learning, the placements, the facilities are indeed worth vying for. but then there is something more to it, which one realises only when one becomes a part of this community.. there is a "SPIRIT", which sets it apart from the others. apart from academics, there is an "INVISIBLE HAND" that constantly pushes you to do the impossible, to broaden one's outlook, to think out of the box, to do things differently. an IIM tag is a very heavy baggage to carry, and expect a lot out of you. but then this is what becomes a driving force to excel; excel in whatever one does. it makes you go the extra mile in search of excellence, and believe me, the experience of travelling that one mile is an experience to treasure all your life.

P.S these are entirely my personal views, with no offences meant to any other institute.

all the best junta. hope the best minds preparing for CAT 2011 make it to the IIMs...

Well, getting into an IIM has always been everyone's dream. Reasons were mentioned earlier ; to add a few :

1. A failed attempt at JEE.
This may seem ridiculous but its the truth. People try to go hard at CAT for revenge. No drawbacks though, it will only push u harder.

2. A mediocre grad college.
Any briefing required ?

3. To back your abilities.

Anyway, I think there are quite a few who look at the deep advantages of graduating from an IIM but I think most of us would agree with the above said points.

Well, getting into an IIM has always been everyone's dream. Reasons were mentioned earlier ; to add a few :

1. A failed attempt at JEE.
This may seem ridiculous but its the truth. People try to go hard at CAT for revenge. No drawbacks though, it will only push u harder.

2. A mediocre grad college.
Any briefing required ?

3. To back your abilities.

You raised a very valid first point, personally I know many of my friends who are trying for IIMs just because of a failure at JEE...my friends younger bro, met me few days back..he is in btech 2nd year at a reputed college and his purpose of getting into the IIM is same, he missed IIT by 4 marks..so ab IIMs ki to aisi ki taisi..nikal ke hi rehna hai

Okay one point I will raise...

''To impress the parents of your soul-mate'' I guess not many will disagree with me:D

It can be otherway round also since the parents are already impressed thats why they want their daughter/Son to be ur soulmate

You raised a very valid first point, personally I know many of my friends who are trying for IIMs just because of a failure at JEE...my friends younger bro, met me few days back..he is in btech 2nd year at a reputed college and his purpose of getting into the IIM is same, he missed IIT by 4 marks..so ab IIMs ki to aisi ki taisi..nikal ke hi rehna hai

''To impress the parents of your soul-mate'' I guess not many will disagree with me:D

So what pushes IIT Guys to go for IIM's , I know India is facing shortage of Quality Enginners.

P.S. I am an Engg.

In all societies there is an idea that if you did XYZ, your "future will be secure". In other words, after doing XYZ, the effort you will have to put for a better life will reduce with growing age. Different types of XYZ in India are,

1. Buying property, because it leads to financial security as appreciation is more than 20% in most cases.

2. Getting a good education - if you are as educated as the average guy in your desired cadre, then you are past that impediment from rising the ranks. In a capitalist economy, it's MBA.

3. Marriage - marrying the right person.

4. Investing in pension funds, etc.

In each of the above cases, one tends to aspire for the best possible within their circumstances. For (2), IIMs comes off as a reasonable product in an Indian scenario. But you must realise that the very best from IITs, etc go for an MS or an education at top US/Europe b-schools which are said to secure your future internationally.

See more often than not, what you are doing is just adding a tag on your name and quite frankly that's what everyone wants.
An important point here is
No one is satisfied with what he has, he thrives for more, and once he dosent get what he wants he feels only "this much" might have been enough.

Let me give you an example:

Say you got 70 in an exam, u thrive for 80 or 90 and then suddenly u get 40 u then wish this 70 would have been enough.
This is human tendency but having said that there's nothing wrong in aiming high. After all it makes u a better person at least in terms of performance 😉

So what pushes IIT Guys to go for IIM's , I know India is facing shortage of Quality Enginners.

P.S. I am an Engg.

Well, I just mentioned one among the thousand reasons :D

That can be answered only by the IIT guys...looking forward to listen from them :)

P.s- I am also an Engg.

This "I missed iit by 4 marks", " just 1 mark" is absolutely crap. In most cases it is not the truth , if at all it is, there's no point cribbing about what has happened, has happened. You cannot get your 4 marks again.
What im saying is try your best ultimately luck and destiny will play its part

The typical, safe 10-step plan people tend to value.

1. Graduate high school, in order to...
2. Go to college, in order to...
3. Graduate college, in order to...
4. Land a safe, decent salaried job, in order to...
5. Meet someone...
6. Get married...
7. Buy your first house
8. Have kids, raise a family
9. Retire from said job...
10. Finally, after years of penny pinching, use your life-savings and retirement funds to die peacefully.

I think IIMs make steps 4, 6, 7, 9 easier and step 10 a lot more comfortable.

IIMs with all the competition that goes into getting in, redefines the criteria for a 'successful' person... I think most people look forward to getting in and getting out.

P.S. My observation... I don't endorse/advocate it

This "I missed iit by 4 marks", " just 1 mark" is absolutely crap. In most cases it is not the truth , if at all it is, there's no point cribbing about what has happened, has happened. You cannot get your 4 marks again.
What im saying is try your best ultimately luck and destiny will play its part

You are right.No point cribbing about it.The fact still remains that one could not clear it;whether by 1 mark or by 10.But then,by the time we engineers(well,most of us) enter final year,we start feeling-" AIEEE/IIT toh nahi phod paya,IIM jarur phod k dikhaunga."

There is a valid point that everybody want to reach at the higher level at any time of his life. When a guy completes graduation from an average institute.....then there is a sudden desire to go for higher degree from a better valued institute.......
I don't think an IITian would even think about doing MBA from an average B-school;)