IIT Kanpur GD-PI Experiences (2011-2013)

Hi all, As the Admission Process kicked off today, we can feel the heat :slight_smile: The day went pretty well and we expect more to come in the coming days. It is always good to interact with the prospective juniors :slight_smile: The candidates who have…

Hi all,

As the Admission Process kicked off today, we can feel the heat :)

The day went pretty well and we expect more to come in the coming days. It is always good to interact with the prospective juniors :)

The candidates who have undergone the process are free to share their experiences over here.

All the best for the results to everyone, and for the GDPI Process to those who are yet to appear.

Do well !!

My GD/PI experience at IIT KANPUR-
Seniors were very helpful n truely saying i admired them fr d kind co-operation they showed.
mine was d 2nd slot i.e. afternoon one,
1.Presentation was just informative in nature,video was d best part especially when they had LINKIN PARK's in the end track played in background.
2.GD was moderate fr me,we had to speak on d challenges posed by globelisation,spoke 3 times.
4.PI-was askd d following questions,answered 5 of them,
-what is inheritance.
-diff between worm n virus wid xample n thier working.
-effect during run time due to data structure chosen
-program for TCP
-was wikileaks a case of hacking or cracking specify.
-diffrnt attacks on RSA
-what is euler's totient
-diffrntiate between one-one nd one to many by drawing graphs

Ohk. . .we have a lot f ques on acads. . . Thnx a lot fr sharing ur xperience. . . !

Seniors were very helpful n truely saying i admired them fr d kind co-operation they showed.
1.Presentation was just informative in nature,video was d best part especially when they had LINKIN PARK's in the end track played in background.
2.GD was moderate fr me,we had to speak on d challenges posed by globelisation,spoke 3 times.
-what is inheritance.
-program for TCP
-diffrnt attacks on RSA
-what is euler's totient

Hi,

Do we have to carry attested copy of call-letter? Can you please give the list of documents verified. Did they ask for attested copies of all documents?

Thanks!!
-what is inheritance.
-program for TCP
-diffrnt attacks on RSA
-what is euler's totient

Why on earth are they asking acads? There are plethora of areas and issues to test us in...and what's up with Euler dude?

@hanisha-No we dnt hav to carry an attestd copy of d call letter,its required in orignl only.
list is as follows-
1.orginal call letter.
2.JMET score card in original nd a copy of it.
3.10th mark sheet nd pass certi both in orgnl nd copies.
4.12th mark sheet nd pass certi both in orgnl nd copies.
5.Degree /provisinal certificate nd sem/year wise mark sheets in orgnl nd copies.
6.Caste certi (if applicable) in orignal nd copy.
7.Non-creamy Layer certi if applicable for OBC.
8.Work xperience certificate(s) like letter of employment nd latest salary slips.
Reaching IIT-K HALL-10,i wuld suggest everyone to book a tempo frm station fr IIT-K as that wuld b d best option,wuld charge around 130 Rs nd wuld take u to HALL-10 inside d campus,PLEASE NOTE-do not leave ur conveyience(auto,taxi)at d main gate as HALL-10 is quite far nd it wuld take almost an hour to walk down to hall-10 frm main gate.

@VIKAS-Actually i too had been wondering as to why they 'focus' more on the technicals,but when i had interactd wid d seniors there a day before it was then that i had realised how important the technicals are in thier management programme
plus as far as knowing the general awareness,aptitude fr management,communctn skills etc is concerend IIT K profs seem to test all that in the GD process,interviews r meant almost entirely to test the technical 'general awareness' nd consistency of d candidate.
Profs are really highly qualified nd there's always a reason behind every question nd process that appears stupid n irrelevent to us at that point of time bt later we realise why nd how important tat was fr judging a candidate-as told by a senior.

my gd/pi was on 12th
thanks to the seniors dey hav realy made d whole process smoother.
process begins wid registration ,followed by their ppt n dn dey divided in
groups.first i had document verification followed by case study n den
pi.
case study: i was the lone girl in my group.d case study was on honda's
sucess in america and d lesson wat india can learn frm dis
we have to present our views for 1 min den followed by open discussion for 4 min.
i opened d discussion n spoke fr a min or so (i didnt remember time bt it ws long) widout any interuption.aftr
dis 2 i entered thrice so overal i was der in active discussion.
now comes d horrible part of interview
it was totaly on technical side fr me
der was a lady n a gentleman
seen my file ,asked me abt my projects
asked me abt programming which i dont knw fr my project
bcoz it is lik 6 pages which i didnt remembered.dey said gud in end
and i realy dnt knw y
any ways here it completes my experience
one special advice fr girls hav ur breakfast dn bfor going to
vh extension der isnt any provision fr meals
else process ws smother!!!
n thanx fr seniors:cheerio::cheerio:

my gd/pi was on 12th
thanks to the seniors dey hav realy made d whole process smoother.
process begins wid registration ,followed by their ppt n dn dey divided in
groups.first i had document verification followed by case study n den
pi.
case study: i was the lone girl in my group.d case study was on honda's
sucess in america and d lesson wat india can learn frm dis
we have to present our views for 1 min den followed by open discussion for 4 min.
i opened d discussion n spoke fr a min or so (i didnt remember time bt it ws long) widout any interuption.aftr
dis 2 i entered thrice so overal i was der in active discussion.
now comes d horrible part of interview
it was totaly on technical side fr me
der was a lady n a gentleman
seen my file ,asked me abt my projects
asked me abt programming which i dont knw fr my project
bcoz it is lik 6 pages which i didnt remembered.dey said gud in end
and i realy dnt knw y
any ways here it completes my experience
one special advice fr girls hav ur breakfast dn bfor going to
vh extension der isnt any provision fr meals
else process ws smother!!!
n thanx fr seniors:cheerio::cheerio:

hey can u plz tel me... as to when do the afternoon session ppl have to report ?? what was your time slot?
-what is inheritance.
-program for TCP
-diffrnt attacks on RSA
-what is euler's totient

hey, when do we have to report for 2pm slot?
rohan1988 Says
hey can u plz tel me... as to when do the afternoon session ppl have to report ?? what was your time slot?

i was in 2pm slot
bus came fr us to take frm d place we stayed at around 12:30
den we headed to ime building,ppt started around 1:15
n i ws d last in my group to interviwd so ws free at around 7 in eve.
i was in 2pm slot
bus came fr us to take frm d place we stayed at around 12:30
den we headed to ime building,ppt started around 1:15
n i ws d last in my group to interviwd so ws free at around 7 in eve.

i have a hotel booked near station, will arrive at 11:20 right time (shtabdi), then will go to hotel n change. shud leav by 12 and reach iit by 1... is that okay.. or late?
rohan1988 Says
i have a hotel booked near station, will arrive at 11:20 right time (shtabdi), then will go to hotel n change. shud leav by 12 and reach iit by 1... is that okay.. or late?

ya its ok bt be sure ur train is on time bcoz trains r getting late
anywaz it is fine 2 reach ime building by 1.dey have a long duration ppt
bfore heading fr further process.....

Hi guys

Hope you have a nice experience of the entire process of GD PIs.

I would like to answer to some of the queries which most of the posts are referring to.
The reporting time of the afternoon slot is 12.30pm. The presentation would start at 1pm and then the GD PI process.

We have bus facilities from Hall 10,7,8,9 and VH extension at 12.30pm to take you from the hostel to IME building.

Good luck for the interview.

Hi,
I had my GD/PI today in the afternoon slot...
The process was very smooth..
I had my PI first...complete technical interview..
--explain binary tree
--how can you perform sorting using binary tree
--explain bubble sort and its complexity
--some questions on data structures(array and arraylist)
then asked me about the CMM level of my company and difference between various CMM levels....
The intervw lasted for about 10 minutes...I was able to answer all of them except the difference in CMM levels questions...One of the guys in the panel was eating apple and asking questions while chewing..I had to ask him twice to repeat the questions....I felt that he was doing it intentionally...

Then we had the GD process...
We were given a caselet on HENRY FORD...how he started the company ford and what all he did... we had to discuss what management skills we learn from him....they randomly called any number to start the monologue...mine was the first name to be called...I spoke for a minute and was stopped when my time was up....the open GD was a complete fish market as only 4 min were given for 11 ppl....

thats it...Thanks a lot to RUBAL,SUMIT,VIJAY,AAYUSH,NEHA,ANKIT,NABARUN and all other seniors..

All the best to everyone:cheerio:

Hi guys

Hope you have a nice experience of the entire process of GD PIs.

I would like to answer to some of the queries which most of the posts are referring to.
The reporting time of the afternoon slot is 12.30pm. The presentation would start at 1pm and then the GD PI process.

We have bus facilities from Hall 10,7,8,9 and VH extension at 12.30pm to take you from the hostel to IME building.

Good luck for the interview.

I arrive at the station at 11:30, how much time will it take for me to reach via auto? will he be knwin the IME building ?
rohan1988 Says
I arrive at the station at 11:30, how much time will it take for me to reach via auto? will he be knwin the IME building ?

You should reach IIT by 12.45pm. Even if he doest know IME building, you can ask the SIS guards the way to IME building inside IIT .

If you are getting late, please call one of the adcom members that you are getting late and would be arriving in some time.

Well en route to delhi now (had my interview today - morning slot)

The process went on smoothly without any signs of hurries and worries whatsover. The seniours were helpful and cordial - thanks! The new IME is surely state of the art (seems to blend well with the picturesque campus)

Coming to the gd the topic of the write up given to our group was - globalisation has reached its peak. Everyone had to speak for 1 min. before 4 mins that was allocated for open dscussion.

PI was a short hr based one for me . So cant judge as to how it went by ..

All in all had a good experience

@VIKAS-Actually i too had been wondering as to why they 'focus' more on the technicals,but when i had interactd wid d seniors there a day before it was then that i had realised how important the technicals are in thier management programme
plus as far as knowing the general awareness,aptitude fr management,communctn skills etc is concerend IIT K profs seem to test all that in the GD process,interviews r meant almost entirely to test the technical 'general awareness' nd consistency of d candidate.
Profs are really highly qualified nd there's always a reason behind every question nd process that appears stupid n irrelevent to us at that point of time bt later we realise why nd how important tat was fr judging a candidate-as told by a senior.

I thought it was an MBA program. They have techy subjects? and this is the reaon one is grilled on ones engineering subjects? My oh my. I have an experience of 2 yrs. Yes I do agree asking one his engineering subjects to see how one has learnt his basics can be justified now and then but grilling everyone on their engineering subjects alone is not what I expected. Sometimes people were asked to draw graphs? Solve trigonometric equations? ? common...stress is ok but then its not an Mtech interview right? Its MBA...I as an aspirant would be more happy to have a peer group that is not just technically sound but brings other qualities to the class too. I really dont get what and where they test other things. An interview is where one generally has a discussion to understand ones reasons and capabilities to see if he would fit into the entire group and see how best he would contribute to the future class. Well going by the interview alone If all they want is technically sound dudes only, I wouldn't make it.
Well as you have said they do seem like exceptionally qualified people who might somehow see management skills in us in how many different we manage to say I don't know. May be...

But then the seniors have done a really coool job in organizing things extremely well. Well done guys...the process and stay was as comfortable as it could get.The IIT K infra is awesomeeee. Presentation was ok.