IIMs cold shoulder many CAT toppers

Hello there,m a 3rd year btech student. I recently came across an article (whose title i’ve borrowed for this thread) in a prominent newspaper, which was discussing the admission criterias of our top B-schools…in that i came across the fact that…

Hello there,m a 3rd year btech student. I recently came across an article (whose title i've borrowed for this thread) in a prominent newspaper, which was discussing the admission criterias of our top B-schools...in that i came across the fact that the various IIMs following their own different admission criteria has left scores of high-scoring aspirants in a spin. They have illustrated a few names with excellent academic profiles who notched excellent scores at the CAT but have not got the calls for group discussion and personal interview from the IIMs. While understanding the fact that different IIMs have different criterias with regard to work experience, academic background, performance in aptitude test, gender of the candidates etc. Considering that newspapers may not always be a 100% reliable, but as an aspirant myself its kind of unsettling. Also its difficult to fathom as to why even with such impressive track records so...if any of you could throw some light as to whether such cases do occur and if yes then why?... I'm not trying to be oversmart inquiring into the intimate details of selection process, just asking a little help as to what might have been the possible reasons so that I and my friends are well prepared for the interviews and not left cursing our luck like the fellows in the article :P....

Diya: cracking the code of shortlisting is harder than cracking CAT. There are factors beyond our comprehension. I feel that each IIM tries to outdo other by innovating the shortlisting process, rather than taking the old route. Remember, what we read in the papers is sometimes half baked truth, a CAT topper may have some shortcoming in his/her profile which is never highlighted. Dont break your head with these stuffs and continue with your preparation. Hard work pays, and it sure will, in ways beyond our comprehension. ATB

i know and thats why i mentioned in my post that "considering that newspapers may not be a 100% reliable...."....at ny rate...all i wanted was to see what people have to share on this particular notion...nyhow thank you for your response...:)