IIML+1yr or IIMA

Hey guys… I need your opinion on this matter… I have got through IIML this year. I would be going over there(obviously) but have thought of appearing for CAT 2005 from there to give my dream institute IIMA another shot. I feel IIMA is d…

Hey guys...
I need your opinion on this matter..
I have got through IIML this year.
I would be going over there(obviously) but have thought of appearing for CAT 2005 from there to give my dream institute IIMA another shot.
I feel IIMA is definitely worth atleast 2 tries if not more..
Guys please advise on 2 matters
first is it actually possible to study for CAT in IIML.
second will it be worth it if i do get in IIMA next year to drop IIML and move into A
I mean which one is better IIML+1year or IIMA.
Age is not a factor for me.. I'll be turning 21 this year.

Please do give in your opinions... also about IIMB & IIMC
Seniors do pour in...

c'mon yaar.
Why do you dream for IIM A?
First of all answer this question to yourself in a mature way.

I think that you yourself are aware of the advices that people on this forum will be giving to you. (Atleast most of them).

I am no senior...(neither on PG nor at an Insti)..Yet.

Dear Dreammaker, Can u plz elaborate about ur percentile and background? it will help ppl analyze ur profile better.
reply.

Why do you dream for IIM A?

Million dollar question...

Answer it first ,,, seriously !!
Hey guys...
I need your opinion on this matter..
I have got through IIML this year.
I would be going over there(obviously) but have thought of appearing for CAT 2005 from there to give my dream institute IIMA another shot.
I feel IIMA is definitely worth atleast 2 tries if not more..
Guys please advise on 2 matters
first is it actually possible to study for CAT in IIML.
second will it be worth it if i do get in IIMA next year to drop IIML and move into A
I mean which one is better IIML+1year or IIMA.
Age is not a factor for me.. I'll be turning 21 this year.

Please do give in your opinions... also about IIMB & IIMC
Seniors do pour in...

honest advise would be: complete 2 years at IIM-L.. and then if you still feel that you are worth more than a diploma from 'L', then do your 2nd MBA from a top 20 B-school in the world..

And 'L' AFAIK, has a very very demanding curriculum..

cheers,
shalin..

hey, i donno if u r mad or what........

u have got thru 1 of the top 5.........
dont even think of trying again after joining.....
or carry on ur job for 1 year and then try again....for iima...

thts fine.

IIL + 1 == 1 year work ex in management(top company) > iim A

how wud u explain it first to interview panel next year and then to employers?

anyway they say it HEL(L). i dont think u'll get time to study for CAT. and even if u do there is no surity that u'll crack CAT again. (even if u have 100 % this year)

u may end up screwing both IIML and CAT.

juzz chill !

You are into a good institue at par with IIM A.

JUzz concentrate on what u dream that is MBA n not just getting into an institue which is probably few ranks above your present institue.

Man in one year u can probably lay the foundation of a new enterprise.Why waste it on preps.

Believe me there is no end to craving.

Theoreticallyspeaking,
if you land into IIMA next year, then you might post another query next year

I am in IIM-A my dream inst being HAVARD .DOES one get ample time to prepare for GMAT AT IIMA?

I am no senior...(neither on PG nor at an Insti)..Yet.

Dear Dreammaker, Can u plz elaborate about ur percentile and background? it will help ppl analyze ur profile better.
reply.

I had 99.45 percentile this year.
93.25 in verbal(probably thats why I missed out that coveted A call)
I had C,L&I; calls..

Background - B.Com & CA Inter... Due to appear for Final..

I know as far as placements are concerned L is almost at par with A in India atleast but that is not the consideration here...
Another thing I was talking to a friend at IIMB(before the IIM results were out) and he told me that they dont even consider L to be in the competition
how wud u explain it first to interview panel next year and then to employers?

anyway they say it HEL(L). i dont think u'll get time to study for CAT. and even if u do there is no surity that u'll crack CAT again. (even if u have 100 % this year)

u may end up screwing both IIML and CAT.

I know ppl who have trans from L to B.. I know its going to be tough but if somehow I do manage it, is it worth going for it?

In my opinion, it doesnot matter what IIM you pass out from, as far as you are getting an IIM degree (or shd I say any good b-school).
I think it is better for any person to improve his managerial skills and better his competency among potential competitors rather than go for the institute. As someone rightly put it, desire is something that knows no bounds (desire for Harvard it will be, after IIMA). After all, at the end of the day it doesnot matter from which institute you are from...If you are worth it, you'll get it

unless you have ego issues of going to the "no 1" institute, you should join.

there's no difference in the "quality of education"

All those ppl who get 2 top by chance dare 2 think like this..........

Dude u made it 2 iiml bypassing how many ppl u think???? 10-20k!!!
NO 1.49lac ....

JUS respect d wish of GOD n work hard n enjoy @iiml.......

I had 99.45 percentile this year.
93.25 in verbal(probably thats why I missed out that coveted A call)
I had C,L&I; calls..

Background - B.Com & CA Inter... Due to appear for Final..

I know as far as placements are concerned L is almost at par with A in India atleast but that is not the consideration here...
Another thing I was talking to a friend at IIMB(before the IIM results were out) and he told me that they dont even consider L to be in the competition

Well wat kinda competition r u talking bout???the only sorta competition there is created by the mags who cum out with sum fudged surveys and polls.wen u talk bout going for A after spending 1 yr at L u jst need to think bout wat is there at A which u wont b able to find at L?mebbe the faculty at A is sumwat better and A gets better foreign palcements but i think thts all and as u have already mentioned tht u r not worried bout placememts too mcuh so tht shud not b one of the criteria for going to A and evryone knows how much do v listen to our profs .if ya talk bout value addition then i dun think guys at L r in neways second to guys at A so u will get real gud company at L.yes it is correct tht A is at the top spot and L is coupla steps dn but really do u feel tht it is a gud enuf reason for mad slogging for one yr and taking such a big gamble which might make ur CG at L real bad??

Wat i canperceive frm it is tht u r more after the "A is A" thing and so sum kinda ego issue is involved(plzz dont feel offeneded jst sumthing i felt)....so dude jst chill go to L...work hard.....and i dun think u will ever regret ur decision.....
btw jst to add as sum very knowledgeable person( i dun remember who ) once said on the forum tht it is not the guy fmr A B C L....et al who will rule the world and do well in life.it is the guy who will work hard and make mostof the opportuntiy provided to him....

adios
rohit

Pardon me for being so naive, but what is it that you are looking for from IIMA?

I mean you want to do a business management course from an institute that offers top quality faculty, resources and good placements.

IIML definitely meets all these. So I'm definitely missing something or maybe you've got your priorities wrong. No offense intended.

I would really appreciate it if you could answer my query (albeit a naive one).

Hey Dude
I certainly will agree with most of the people that u shud stick to L. I can understand what is going in ur head. U have seen dreams by keeping IIMA in the picture,....I am sure that u must have seen the picture of A building exponential times.....to get the inspiration.......and now when suddenly when u try to see IIML in that picture of ur dreams ...u cannot accept it..
But dude I would say ..got for L......as somebody entioned that u have surpassed 1.49 lacs people for this...so u shud respect it ........u have already said that age is not a problem for u....then why don't u think that after completing ur MBA u can start building ur work ex........and beleive me dude ...in an organization no matter from WHERE u have done ur MBA ...if u cannot provide the numbers ..u cannot survive.....so think abt it..........

Cheers
Hitesh

Guyz I havent posted here a lot of times. .just some 10-20 posts..
but i am an avid reader of pg and go thru atleast for 2 hours a day..
now b4 answering ur question , i m going to have as disclaimers in place.. as this is entirely my opinion..
first of all. . i think most of the people are of opinion that.. an IIM degree is some kinnda rocket which has an ability to catapult you to fame , power and money.. but i beg to differ from this.. yes.. u have the amazing network , luxury of interacting with the finest professors and the best student community.. but apart from that.. what an MBA degree ultimately gives you is the ability to take better decisions, helps you to think in cool headed and better way.. and the entire drill for 2 years of drill helps you to be a better manager.. that IS ALLLLL.. nothing less and nothing more..
however the knowledge imparted would vary in shades of various degrees.. ( im talking abt the top 10 bschools)
how else can u expalain the fact that say an IIT graduate with a mechanical engineering and who specializes in finance in IIM-a goes to say a company like hindustan lever to sell soaps
or coca cola to sell aerated drinks , where is he using the concepts of lever,engines..etc in mechanical or concepts of finance..not many a times he is going to use them...
so why are they most coveted.. because HR managers are INTUTIVELY of the view that.. a person who has cleared the worlds toughest exams like IIT and IIM are the creamest of the cream.. so they are getting the best deal money can get.. and this may not be true in lot of instances.. i personally know iim graduates.. who are doing jobs which does some form of injustice to the IIM brand..
so where is the missing portion .. i think this is where it is.. i talked to my sister who works as head in deutsche bank .( she is a bcom graduate and 32 years) and who visits regularly to iim for recruitement.. she says. that with due respect to all IIMs , what i mainly look for is ( VERBATIM)" the intrinsic value of the students and their attitutude" and this is what makes iim a different from others.. ( read it again.. it should make sense.. )
so i feel that if the person is really worth his salt.. he should make it from anywhere.. be it harvard.. stanford.iim or spjains. or xlri or ximbs..
because one bad day at the iim a interview.. should not and will not make u a less greater person.. than iim a grad...
although this may be cliched.. if we look at the person.. who have really made it big.. right from bill gates, to ambanis to richard branson( virgin airlines- i read his interview and he says.. he does not believe in aptitude test to select canditdates..as he himself was bad at math..but does it make virgin airlines a bad company?????) have made it big BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN WORTH.... and not because of anything else..
well agreed not everyone would have the ability to develop and design DOS.. or build a refinery.. if we are good enough..we can do things.. which we are doing right now.. in a better way to make a difference.. to the society and the world where we live in...
i believe that any good bschool is a place where in ur in position to be recruited by the best companies.. and a person.. who is claiming that iim a is his dream.. should really explain why it is dream..
is it his dream ONLY because he wants to interact with best professors and students- i would call this INTERNAL CONVICTION
or is he trying to VALIDATE( external validation ).. to prove a point..
i feel that the process of validating occurs 2 times.
once when goes to selection for iims
and second time when he .. clears an interview for goldman sachs, mckinsey.. et all..
will a person would be really that interested to get into a school of teaching if say. We had worlds toughest recruitement process for selecting school teachers.. ,
yes he would be.. if we pay salaries the best salaries in the world
well guyz.. these are some pointers to think abt
and im not talking like a sore loser who is not able to clear iim..
these are questions.. which have been lingering in my mind..
any pointers???????

Hey Maverick999 ....well said mate.....

Great post mate. Have to agree with you.

But my point is: a B-school is only a means to an end, and not the end itself.