IIMC GD/PI (2006) : Queries

Hi all , Congratulations on getting IIM Calcutta GD/PI calls. Please post any queries you guys have about the next stage , will try and answer all of them .

Hi all ,
Congratulations on getting IIM Calcutta GD/PI calls. Please post any queries you guys have about the next stage , will try and answer all of them .

Oh well perhaps this is the right place to ask....a consolidated list of call getters have been put up on the notice board right...? is it possible for you guys to tell us how many ppl have been called...?if possible witht he split up of sex and age ratios as applicable? i know it's a bit too much to ask..but if you could....

hi girish, there is no such notice any where in the campus. the info is kept confidential by the adcom. but a general guess is that around 1200 calls would be sent out every year for PGDM and PGDCM togethar.

hey guys

got ALCKI

i am an engineer working with a bank, gonna major in fin

so what sor of profile will iim c look for and how good is it for fin?

hey guys

got ALCKI

Hi ace54,
Congrats on getting 5 calls.
IIMC is considered to be the best b-school for a fin mba. Our finance faculty is world class.
http://www.iimcal.ac.in/faculty/facdept.asp
IIMC does not look for a specific profile as such . Due weightage is assigned to the various parameters such as cat performance , GD/PI , acads and workex ( if any) for the final calls.
hey guys

got ALCKI

Hi ace 54!!!
Every B-school looks for a good balance and variety in the profiles it chooses, so there cannot be any one particular profile that IIMC will look for. Coming to your specific case, I think your profile would probably be unique because you are an engineer with a work ex in the fin sector.There are not many people who have such a profile.
It is definitely an advantage if you are able to showcase it as a strength and carry it off well with good answers in the interviews.

Coming to how good C is for fin, let me answer this from 2 perspectives:
In terms of the faculty, they are simply amazing. There is a lot of scope for value addition..IIMC being a little quanti institute, will obviously hold the edge when it comes to finance and if a recruiter comes for a hard core fin job, he will probably prefer an IIMCian over someone from another institute , given ALL OTHER THINGS REMAINING THE SAME. Historically and even now, IIMC does get the maximum number of offers and companies in areas like private equity, investment banking and hedge funds..
So, the scope is immense..it depends on how you use it:)

~all the best

Congratulations to all the call getters. So you guys must be all set to crack the GD-PIs. Here's a link to get you started. http://indianeconomy.org/

Cheers,
-Mikin:)

hey guys thanx for that bit

would help if i could get some gd topics and some pi questions

also if i am looking for a career ahead which does not have a direct link to my present job profile how will that be viewed?

are we expected to know some stuff regarding the faculty,campus etc because some of my friends who appeared for s p jain were asked those kind of ques

With respect to career changes, industry change etc...it doent really matter much because many people who are working and go for an MBA after that are ones who want a jumpstart in their careers...so it is entirely acceptable that way.
And no!!! There is absolutely no need to know anything about the faculty...that is not the way you are going to impress them:)But you will be expected to have done atleast some kind of homework into why you want to join a particular institute.It would show them that you are serious abt the insti and about the whole process.
~cheers

hey guys thanx for that bit

would help if i could get some gd topics and some pi questions

also if i am looking for a career ahead which does not have a direct link to my present job profile how will that be viewed?

are we expected to know some stuff regarding the faculty,campus etc because some of my friends who appeared for s p jain were asked those kind of ques

Hey man, congratulations on a call from IIM C.

As for GD topics, C has traditionally been the one to give topics that have a bent towards the abstract (for e.g. my topic was "There are no facts, only perceptions"); As for cases I don't recollect any incident of C ever giving a case for GD.

"a career ahead which does not have a direct link to my present job profile"
Most people coming to IIM C are in fact going through this exact same thing, but as far as the interviews is concerned you need to be able to clearly explain the learnings from the job/industry you've been in (both technical and non-technical) and how you would be able to leverage them in the future that you see yourself in.

And no, you DON'T need to know anything about the faculty here at IIM C for the interview - although we would be glad to answer any questions from your side in this regard.

Hope that helps.

hey....can someone tell if itspossible to chenge my PGDCM ATM schedule.... actually i got ATM on 12 march at 11am and K interview on same day at 2pm....both at different locations....so can this be done.....if both reschedulings r possible, then which one shud be changed???? and wats the full procedure???

thanx in advance
regards

Well as far as I know ATM is held only once in every city ...so you would have trouble changing it ....You can try to change the Kozhikhode venue which was successfully done by my friend Ajit last year ...contact him at [email protected] .
The procedure he adopted was very simple ...just give a call to the kozhikode office and ask them for a venue change ...then send a written letter citing the reason and this should suffice ...only you would have to make a couple of calls to confirm that they have recieved your letter and have rescheduled the interview ...they are very helpful and this should not be a problem

hey....can someone tell if itspossible to chenge my PGDCM ATM schedule.... actually i got ATM on 12 march at 11am and K interview on same day at 2pm....both at different locations....so can this be done.....if both reschedulings r possible, then which one shud be changed???? and wats the full procedure???

thanx in advance
regards

thanx in advance
regards

The ATM for the PGDCM course in IIM C is held simultaneously across India - so the question of changing it does not arise.

You can, however, change the interview date/time of the IIM K interview. They are quite accomodating in this regard and there are people here who have got it done; Usually a phone call to the IIM Kozhikode office should do the job - you'll probably be asked to send an e-mail to their office. Shouldn't be a big problem.

Hope that helps.

Thanks to the thread starter!

Hope to make proper use of the thread!

ok i have a question. i graduated in chemical engineering in june 2005. i didnt take up any job because i wanted to solely focus on cat.
exactly which areas should i prepare for with respect to the pi considering i dont have work ex that they can grill me with?

You should be focusing on your acads , as you are a fresher. Develop certain strong areas in your field (chem engg) so that you can speak confidently on those during the interview.
Also , it is not unusual for people to take a break to prepare for CAT. To your credit you did really well in CAT and managed to get gd/pi call(s) . So i dont think the break should go against you , provided you are able to communicate your reasons properly

well i wanna know now that weve got a call from IIMC is wht we do in the gd/pi the deciding factor or will the cat scores be taken into a/c cos im sure ill be 1 of the borderline cases who just managed 2 get a call. asking this Q cos was just going through some GD/PI links of last yr and ppl seem convinced that a high cat score(above 99.90)guarantees them a final call and those with low scores like(99%or so) have a tough time converting the calls,just wanna know how true it is

dhruvv Says
well i wanna know now that weve got a call from IIMC is wht we do in the gd/pi the deciding factor or will the cat scores be taken into a/c cos im sure ill be 1 of the borderline cases who just managed 2 get a call. asking this Q cos was just going through some GD/PI links of last yr and ppl seem convinced that a high cat score(above 99.90)guarantees them a final call and those with low scores like(99%or so) have a tough time converting the calls,just wanna know how true it is

Hi dhruv!!
It is completely untrue that people with 99.9 and above are guaranteed a place into IIM's..there are many people who failed to convert after such a high score. But obviously, a high score is a definite plus point.
But if you are not in that league(statistics will tell u most ppl aren't;-)...not to worry at all...u can be assured that a good performance in the GD/PI will assure you a final call...for example I had a percentile of only 99.37 and got 4 calls(BCLI). I had decent/good GD/Pi's and converted all my calls. So don't really worry about all that now.Just concentrate on cracking the interview and the GD...the offers will flow in:-)
~bhargav

Well Dhruv i may sound a bit philosophical but your question is redundant because suppose for a moment i say that you have no chance at all still you will preparing your best for the interviews as the preparation is the same for all the institutes and i am presuming you have more than 1 calls .
For the facts , here at IIMC there are people who are on the lower side as far as percentile is considered , and most of them are doing pretty well!
Looking quantitatively : the difference between the 99%iler and the 99.90%ile will be at most 15 marks .And suppose %iles carry a weightage of 50% ( I say suppose because i dont know ...its just a GUESS) , then you still have 150 marks left to compete for !! So my advice would be to stop worrying about the issues which u cant influence and start working towards things you can influence .
And by the way , how can u say that u just managed to get the call on the border ...dude not even the %iles are out yet.....maintain confidence and positive outlook ...only that will carry you forward apart from your preparation.
Best of luck and hope that this has helped.

dhruvv Says