IIMB_EPGP Life

Dear All, This is a thread started by current students of IIM Bangalore’s EPGP Program ( 2009 - 2010 ). We would love to talk about what goes on inside the granite walls of L-11, C-21…and also look forward to hearing what you think …

Dear All,

This is a thread started by current students of IIM Bangalore's EPGP Program ( 2009 - 2010 ).

We would love to talk about what goes on inside the granite walls of L-11, C-21....and also look forward to hearing what you think of us...

Hello,
Can you share with us how the EPGP is different or intended to be different from PGPX and PGPEX? What is the advantage expected from EPGP over the other 2 after graduation?

RS

Hello,
Can you share with us how the EPGP is different or intended to be different from PGPX and PGPEX? What is the advantage expected from EPGP over the other 2 after graduation?

RS

RS,

All of these programs are good and I would not like to get into comparison of the programs.

As per my experience following are some of the distinct features of EPGP
1. Focus on emerging markets
2. High focus on experience and diversity
3. Emphasis on humanities and ethics

Regards

Hi Folks, we'll post a sample of our blogs, which are at iimbepgp.wordpress.com

The A to Z of executive education.

Global Management Schools continue to pound their own self-perpetual and never ending educational tread-mills with the urgency of a ferocious marathon runner who sporadically (read weekly) gets exclusionary fits of being a javelin thrower, but still is on course for trying to dish out a personal best that he is not willing to sacrifice for anything. The exams add further congestion to an educational system that is already clogged with information. Doesnt anyone just sit back and think any more on how the principles could have been applied to the real world out there ?? All said and done, the learning curve is still very steep and I like to think I am on-course. Had it not been for the want of more time, I think Id have been even better.
Heres the A to Z of EPGP which is a handy reference dictionary if you want to be a part of this course some day : Incomplete at this stage and will be a work in progress for a long time to come.
A: Analysis

Theres just too much of it. The management education for executives who already are a bit rich when it comes to accepting just about anyones theory but their own, has brought about a welcome touch of the zoological nature to the field of education. The unusual sight of worlds famous management theorists being paraded around like farm animals and getting their haunches prodded and teeth checked by a management student to see if their theory will have any application in the real world, has added something both exciting and disturbing to the general environment of the class.
T: Tangential Discussions

The world tangent has gone through an evolution and has got an altogether new meaning in just a span of little over three weeks. And had there been a bar-chart of tangentiality index in the discussions, the most residents of the world would stand in a liliputian awe in front of the Guliveresque figure of the class. The word Discussion attracts the class attention like a plump zebra attracts that of a lion in a lion enclosure. And the word discussions on the theory taught, gives an impression that the zebra has now smeared itself by wallowing in a myre of an irresistible wilde-beast ketchup to make itself even tastier.
Q: Quizzes

The process of telling the participants of the program that they suck. Ironically, this is something what deep-down all the participants already realize, but this process is known to do it loudly and it does so with disorienting persistence, week-after-week. Also the process and the importance of the word Quiz is a stark change from the quizzes during my engineering days. In the good ol days of my engineering, an entire semester could pass without the teacher mentioning this dreaded word. ( In fact during the long after-lunch quizzes for some of the subjects, the only discernible sign of life in the examination hall was the gentle collective snoring of talented individuals who couldnt wait to take on the professional world in capacity of an engineer.)
( to be continued if alive )
Disclaimer: I am enjoying my stay here, the class environment is absolutely terrific and the learning for me has been absolutely phenomenal. This is just a humorous take on things and its my subtle way of taking a subtle revenge for the 7.5 million quizzes that I have been made to take in the past three weeks or so. Please do not feel offended, angry or dejected, if you are a current or a prospective student and also happen to be a voo-doo practician. To each his own applies in every other possibility.

(By Mohit Mahajan)

This was the first post on our blog: (iimbepgp.blogspot.com)
posted in Feb, before we reached Bangalore

Falling asleep, waiting for the dream

Im going to IIM.
Never thought Id ever utter these words. Except to meet someone, of course. Come to think of it, I dont even have a friend who has gone to an IIM. All m friends are busy administering harmful substances and making carving marks on sick people.
I am a surgeon, still. For another 50 days. Then Ill be a student doing 1 yr EPGP course at Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore. Im still coming to terms with it, trying not to get carried away by the feeling.
Thankfully there is already a community of admits, and their brilliance keeps me grounded. I was selected in R2, and when I joined the Yahoo group, there was already so much buzz, so many activities, and so much going on that it took me a few days to just get my bearings around the group. The guys and gals have been doing a fantastic job. There are already committees and dedicated committee members doing a lot of legwork (and brain-work) for all our sake. Kudos to them, too many to name here, but they and everyone else know who they are.
Right now the majority of us is going through the process of securing a loan in a risk-averse climate. Through efforts of IIM and the group we have been able to secure a collateral free loan, but it was not easy.
There were a lot of study groups when I joined but I wonder how much people ae studying now. I hope not much, because Im not. After obsessing over the MBA application process Im now freaking out with movies. Will watch Slumdog soon, but saw Danny Boyles Trainspotting recently.. mind blowing. A few scenes are bound to stick with you foreever
I think thats enough rambling for a day, and hope to catch up later.

Kutton!! Main tumhara khoon pee jaaonga!

Is that how you start a presentation to a group of investors to convince them that Bangalore urgently needs more Dog grooming parlors ?
The exercise given to the class was to make a case for setting up Dog grooming parlors before a group of VCsConsidering that the course was being taught by a prof who spent majority of her life between Europe and US, and was sitting in the audience, this start made sure that she would have something to remember Bollywood and Dharmendra by

Please visit IIMB EPGP for more EPGP blogs.