IIMB Admission Process Details

Check this out! http://www.iimb.ernet.in/iimb/docs/pgpadmprocess07.pdf CAT cutoffs by IIMB are Sec 1 (Logic and Data) : 85 percentile Sec 2 (Verbal) :85 percentile Sec 3 (Quantitative): 85 percentile Aggregate: 90 percentile …

Check this out!

http://www.iimb.ernet.in/iimb/docs/pgpadmprocess07.pdf

CAT cutoffs by IIMB are

Sec 1 (Logic and Data) : 85 percentile
Sec 2 (Verbal) :85 percentile
Sec 3 (Quantitative): 85 percentile
Aggregate: 90 percentile

For GDPI shortlist

Work Experience/CA = 10 weight
CAT = 20 weight
10th board = 15 weight
12th board = 10 weight
Bachelors = 15 weight
Total = 70

Weights used for GDPI

GD = 7.5 weight
GD Summary = 7.5 weight
PI = 20 weight
Total = 35

Total Score for admission is on 105

The two files from IIMB website is attached.

really happy to see this news.After all the allegations against IIMB for lack of transparency atlast the admissions office has come out with clear cut criterion.Am sure such information will be of tremendous use for the students.The file clears many questions that a lot of us had so far.

prahalad85 Says
really happy to see this news.After all the allegations against IIMB for lack of transparency atlast the admissions office has come out with clear cut criterion.Am sure such information will be of tremendous use for the students.The file clears many questions that a lot of us had so far.

yeah...n this file has compelled me to apply to as many non-iim b schools as much i should....
IIM B use 10th,12th n grad marks for initial screening.... may be rest of them use the approx the same percentage break up in final screening...
may be this explains too that how ppl with such great percentiles with LACK I (lacking B call) calls , would have missed final calls from any of the iims.... A bad news(may be good news that atleast now we know the criteria) for ppl like me who didnt listen to their parents and conc on everything except studies :-/

Oh My Gawd!!!! The doucment seems to be a CAT paper per se... Look at the formula for calculating the weightage of work exp.. This is beyond CAT level..lol...

But on a whole, its a very good move by IIMB.... Atleast many people now would not wait anxiously to see the IIMB shortlist for GDPI as there would be an outright rejection for them before taking the CAT in the first place.. 😃

Hi

Does anyone have a clue as to what should the minimum marks in 10th, 12th and Bachelors be to expect a call from IIM-B?

My profile:
10th - 89.4
12th - 93
B.E. - 70
Work Ex - 0

Also do other IIMs follow similar patterns?

The last statement "IIMB emphasizes consistent and high performance in past academics" says it all.

If only I knew it 5 years ago, I would have studied harder in college.

One more interesting thing to note is the higher weightage given to 10th marks than the 12th marks.
Infact weightage for 10th marks and Bachelors is the same.

Puys, what do u think, what can be the rationale behind this?

Hi

Does anyone have a clue as to what should the minimum marks in 10th, 12th and Bachelors be to expect a call from IIM-B?

My profile:
10th - 89.4
12th - 93
B.E. - 70
Work Ex - 0

Also do other IIMs follow similar patterns?

We do not know whether other IIMs follow similar patterns.

And you cannot know exactly the cutoff for your previous acad marks. That depends on your state board's 90th percentile and the academic profiles of people, who clear the CAT cutoffs.

There is a process though.

Read the following:
"the candidates' percentage scores in the 10th and 12th board exams are standardized by dividing each score by the 90th percentile score obtained in that board" (val)

Then the formula in Phase 1 10) is applied with val taken as from above.

That will give your weighted scores for your boards, which will then be added with the other scores (read CAT, work ex, et al), and a final rank list will be prepared.

Ah finally they'v put it up....!! Way to go...

work-ex score = work-ex * quality of work-ex :)

So now lets assume 2 cases....

Person A - working in something like testing in firm X... for 30 months.
Person B - working in biz development in firm X... for 15 months

Work-ex score of A in Phase 1 = 4.17
Work-ex score of B in Phase 1 = 2.08

Assuming that i'm perceiving the quality of work-ex of person A to be 0.5
Assuming that i'm perceiving the quality of work-ex of person B to be 1.5

Work-ex score of A in Phase 2 = 4.17*.5 = 2.09
Work-ex score of B in Phase 2 = 2.08*1.5 = 3.12

See the 'multiplier' effect ur quality of work ex can have on ur chances of getting into IIMB??

So chuck the current job that u'v taken up so as to 'have a chill time' and prepare for CAT... cauz for all u know, it might be detrimental after all 😉

We do not know whether other IIMs follow similar patterns.

And you cannot know exactly the cutoff of your previous acad marks.

There is a process though.

Read the following:
"the candidates' percentage scores in the 10th and 12th board exams are standardized by dividing each score by the 90th percentile score obtained in that board" (val)

Then the formula in Phase 1 10) is applied with val taken as from above.

That will give your weighted scores for your boards, which will then be added, and a final rank list will be prepared.

So what will be an ideal profile to get a call from B?
i mean 10th,12th,grad score and work ex...of course say wid 99+ in CAT..
One more interesting thing to note is the higher weightage given to 10th marks than the 12th marks.
Infact weightage for 10th marks and Bachelors is the same.

Puys, what do u think, what can be the rationale behind this?

Yes, the rationale seems rather crooked if there is one, and that worries me.

For one, the bachelors weightage process does not distinguish between people from State Engineering boards(say VTU of Karnataka) and deemed universities (say IITs or NITs). A 75%ile guy in an NIT or IIT could be far better than say a 80-85%ile in VTU. (read "could be" again ).

A 12th score however is much more reliable as there is a bigger sample population. But there is less weightage to it. I do not understand. ??:

The only way I see it, why 12th could be lesser than say 10th and bachelors, is a volition theory! Everybody, and I mean almost everybody, slogs off in 12th. 10th and Bachelors calls for more than that- a desire to study, which is given its due more weightage!

To make an ideal profile,
since IIMB divides by 90 percentile in the board.
So, ideally if u score more than 90 percentile in ur board in 10th,12th as well as Bachelors, u must be havign a bright chance. Ofcourse with 99+ in CAT.

That will depend a lot on the population that clears the CAT cutoffs. Say, if most were students, your work-ex will give you the edge. But then thats just speculating.

There is no saying what exactly might get you in and what might not.
Ideal profile( to certainly get a call, as I see it):
Above 90th percentile in all boards and bachelors, 36 months work-ex, and 99+in CAT!

OR

Clear cutoffs, and be among the top 10 candidates in any sectional or the total score, in the nation! (and you may forget about your acads in the call process). The acads will be imp again in the phase 2 (GD PI) anyway.

Good issue u raised there ..

How abt we posting our profiles and start analysing them one by one ?? ;-)

Here comes my profile:

10th : 71 (CBSE)
12th : 77.4(CBSE)
B.E : 68.34 ( 3rd sem score 53 :-O )
Work Ex: 34 Months by December-07 with the biggest ERP product maker( 2.7yrs as a Developer and 7months as a Associate Consultant)
Marital Status :Bachelor, abhi 3-4yrs aur aish maarni hai ;-)

If you think we should analyse then start pouring in ur views else kindly ignore this post :-)

Regards,
Contender

Marital Status :Bachelor, abhi 3-4yrs aur aish maarni hai ;-)

Ab iska weightage kitna hoga??
Check this out!

http://www.iimb.ernet.in/iimb/docs/pgpadmprocess07.pdf

CAT cutoffs by IIMB are

Sec 1 (Logic and Data) : 85 percentile
Sec 2 (Verbal) :85 percentile
Sec 3 (Quantitative): 85 percentile

For GDPI shortlist

Work Experience = 10 weight
CAT = 20 weight
10th board = 15 weight
12th board = 10 weight
Bachelors = 15 weight
Total = 70

Weights used for GDPI

GD = 7.5 weight
GD Summary = 7.5 weight
PI = 20 weight
Total = 35

Total Score for admission is on 105

thaks for the information . now i m sure not to expect the call from iim b

Deciphering this PDF would be a good practice for DI ..
Normalization, standardization, database of 10th 12th and bachelors marks ..
Got to appreciate the person who came up with this :neutral: .
I strongly suspect its some QMIS prof who designed it .

Ajith

Normalization, standardization, database of 10th 12th and bachelors marks ..
Got to appreciate the person who came up with this :neutral: .

Agree that lot of work has been put in coming up with it. But it is not the variables that matter, but the weights given to it that has me thinking. ??:

I mean, IIMB is hopeless for a person who intends to clean his slate, in all integrity. And no, it is not me.

Of course, it is finally their(IIMB's) say that matters, and rightly so. They know more what they can impart to us, than we do. 😃