IIMB (2006-2008) GD/PI Queries

Hi all, Please feel free to post all ur queries about the second round of process at IIMB… we will try to get answer to all ur queries asap… Regards Mohit Gupta

Hi all,

Please feel free to post all ur queries about the second round of process at IIMB....
we will try to get answer to all ur queries asap....

Regards
Mohit Gupta

Hi,

I am one of the persons who has just a single B call. I really hope to convert this one. Could you please let me know what would increase my chances, i.e what are the typical things they look for in the PI and in the GD.

I have 2.5 years of work ex in Software industry. I heard B looks for recommendation letters from your bosses/profs etc. Is that true, and if so when is the best time to start getting recos (i.e is it before or after GD/PIs?).

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Whoami

Hi,

I am one of the persons who has just a single B call. I really hope to convert this one. Could you please let me know what would increase my chances, i.e what are the typical things they look for in the PI and in the GD.

I have 2.5 years of work ex in Software industry. I heard B looks for recommendation letters from your bosses/profs etc. Is that true, and if so when is the best time to start getting recos (i.e is it before or after GD/PIs?).

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Whoami

Hi,

Cool man !!! I was also one of those who had a single IIM Call last year...
I think that B has made some serious calculations inside and is giving calls based on that
Surely this is not an arbit call .. becos our batch is performing superbly at IIMB...
neways coming to point...
1. Get this out of mind that u have only one IIM Call.... Last year i also thought that i had no chance of converting this... nothing is like this.. u stand equal chance as any other guy...
2. Now if i am not wrong then B send calls in 1:4 approximately so its 1000 odd calls for 240 odd seats... and last year they did a welcome change by replacing GD with a Case study... Cases are mostly HR types so that its a level playing field for all the people...
3. Recos are imp but not the ultimate thing... its more of a hygiene factor.. so get 2 from seniors (considering u have work exp) and 1 from college faculty...
4. Prepare in and out... interviews were generally chill out... but they test ur clarity and ur purpose for doing MBA....

Regards
Mohit

I too got a solitary call from IIM-B. I have a work-ex of 27 months as on date.
Please let me know what all should I do from today to convert this call.

I too got a solitary call from IIM-B. I have a work-ex of 27 months as on date.
Please let me know what all should I do from today to convert this call.

Be advised that last year B had Case based GDs and I guess the same would continue this time as well. So make sure you start preparing for the same ( in case you are going to a coaching centre .... they would take care i guess ).

You will be required to write an SOP stating why you would like to do an MBA@ B ... I suggest you start thinking about this as it would open up a number of issues that will be helpful to crack your interviews as well ....

and lastly ...make sure you celebrate ur call !!!!!

I heard B looks for recommendation letters from your bosses/profs etc. Is that true, and if so when is the best time to start getting recos (i.e is it before or after GD/PIs?).

Yes B looks for reco letters. You will be asked to send these ( and also a form with a few Q + SOP ) BEFORE gd / pi . Last year we were asked to send them by feb20th or something. For all other institutes you would be carrying the form to the interview table yourself.

What makes things different at B is that the panel is already fammiliar with your form , so a large part of the interview could be based on what you write ( as it was in my case).

So to get the process starting, you could approach your manager with the 'good news' sometime soon !
hai
I have got 18 months of work ex and i hv got calls from B and K.I would like to know abt recos.when should i submit them?Can u brief me reg the contents expected in a reco and also abt PI.Do they stress on technical questions or its more on why MBA and all that?

Sirs, I am a fresher and have got a solitary call from IIM B this time. Was surprised initially but saw some more people in the same category here.
Please clarify a few doubts regarding the next stage of selection:

1. Do freshers stand less chance as compared to work ex people in GD/PI?

2. Is it important to join a coaching institute and prepare for GD/PI. Am asking this because my project is in progress in my college. Will have to take leave for that purpose.

3. In general what chance do i stand vis a vis others(mostly people with work ex i presume)? Will it be on level grounds?

Will highly appreciate ur help in this regard sir. Thanks in advance

Oh well perhaps this is the right place to ask....a consolidated list of call getters have been put up on the notice board right...? is it possible for you guys to tell us how many ppl have been called...?if possible witht he split up of sex and age ratios as applicable? i know it's a bit too much to ask..but if you could....

hai
I have got 18 months of work ex and i hv got calls from B and K.I would like to know abt recos.when should i submit them?Can u brief me reg the contents expected in a reco and also abt PI.Do they stress on technical questions or its more on why MBA and all that?

u can submit them along with ur form which will come for the GD/PI.
Reco can be of any format... can focus on ur strenghts... excellent work performance..
ur commitment etc... PI is not generally stressful and technical ... it shold be more on ur work exp and personal front.. yes it will be more of why MBA (atleast that was the case with me)

Cheer!!!!
Sirs, I am a fresher and have got a solitary call from IIM B this time. Was surprised initially but saw some more people in the same category here.
Please clarify a few doubts regarding the next stage of selection:

1. Do freshers stand less chance as compared to work ex people in GD/PI?

2. Is it important to join a coaching institute and prepare for GD/PI. Am asking this because my project is in progress in my college. Will have to take leave for that purpose.

3. In general what chance do i stand vis a vis others(mostly people with work ex i presume)? Will it be on level grounds?

Will highly appreciate ur help in this regard sir. Thanks in advance

1. Yes they do have man !!! almost 50 + % junta in ou batch are freshers.
2. preferably yes... go for a good one and that too try to join a batch of only IIM call getters.. as IIM gd/pi are of different level... and also u might get some who share the same group on D day ( i had 4 ppl whom i knew very closely in my group :))
3. it will be totally level playing ground... remove all these myths from ur mind and put best efforts for the next round

ATB
Monuguru
Oxymoron Says
Oh well perhaps this is the right place to ask....a consolidated list of call getters have been put up on the notice board right...? is it possible for you guys to tell us how many ppl have been called...?if possible witht he split up of sex and age ratios as applicable? i know it's a bit too much to ask..but if you could....

Last year it was 1:4.. considering the same it should be 1000 odd calls for 240 odd seats..
sex ratio no clue... right now most of us are enjoying rare term II break back at home.. i will reaching institute on coming sunday... will try to get info if possible.. :))
PS: We have some 42-43 gals in batch of 233
ATB
Monuguru
@monoguru: I was referring to the sex ratio of the calls..not the converts...:) i mean wont they put up a notice board or something with the call getters name? Thought they did that last year...:whatthat:

thanks a lot for the prompt reply sir. The news of 50+ % freshers is very encouraging. Will definitely put my best foot forward and hope things click.

Oxymoron Says
@monoguru: I was referring to the sex ratio of the calls..not the converts...:) i mean wont they put up a notice board or something with the call getters name? Thought they did that last year...:whatthat:

will check when i return on campus... but i think u can explorate the ratio of the final batch to the one who called... means if there is any pre determined ratio (which i dont think is there) than it should have been followed while giving calls also

regards
monuguru

got a lone call from IIMB i am almost a fresher having joined my company recently and i want to know what are my chances in the gd?
also can someone say me where to get the individual scores?

Let me assure all the "Single call letters" , it is only because you are good that you got a call ! obviously they wouldnt send a call letter to somebody who doesnt stand a chance( or somebody they are not interested in). would they ??

Last year too, we had a lot of people who had only a B call , and quite of few of them converted that. Mohit ( monuguru ) is one of those guys !

From last year onwards B has been using a slightly different selection criteria. Instead of looking only at CAT scores, they are giving a heavy weightage to factors like academic background, work ex etc ...which is why you would find a lot of people who have other calls not having a B call ....and vice versa.

So stop thinking about chances / probabilities of selection / rejection. Prepare well and crack the interview ! ATB

Hi Monu guru, is there any way you could answer this question with afirmation.
my case study is- i applied only for A & B and no other institute. Both have not called .A not calling has bothered me,But B has a bit. Any chances that they come out with another list??
a Second probable's list or something.

i was wondering if somebody could post the actual number of total calls made by iimb this year..
would be of great help
cheers