IIMA PGPX Queries

Hi Guys,

I am Tarun, a current student PGPX student.

If you have any queries, I would be happy to answer them.

Tarun

Hello Tarun,

Congratulations!

Can you tell us a bit about your background - education, work experience, career goal?
Why did you choose the PGPX over other 1 yr management programs in the country?

Finally, in your opinion, is a 1 yr program sufficient to change tracks from say, a technical job to a management position? Would you do better if you had another year?

Thanks!

Hi,

Could u plz let me know abt ur profile, work-ex. n what diff. had made u got into pgpx compared to other applicants. Also, plz throw some light on how r the placements...the ultimate thing for a wannabe MBA.

Vijay.

Hi Tarun,

This is my profile :

BE (ELectrical) - NIT/REC
Diploma in Biz Mgmt - ICFAI
Work Exp : 6yrs n 10 months (IT)
Internation exposure : short stints in UK n Australia (in Months)
Team Management roles 4 the past 3 years.

I have not appeared for GMAT yet. Plannin to do in the first week of July in time for the Aug 10 application submission deadline.

What chance do i stand for PGPX 2007-08, atleast in terms of the profile assuming i target for 720+ in GMAT.

I also wantd to know about Leadership Profiling. Can u tell me what happens there..

Please can you answer my queries.

Thanks.
Bharath.

mba05 and Vijay,

My background -
BTech in computers from REC
7.5 years of work ex (around 3 years in India and 4 years in US)
I want to go back to IT at a middle management level.

I wanted to work in India so I had shortlisted only 2 b-schools - IIMA (PGPX) and ISB
I was more keen on IIMA due to the course content and the fact that PGPX was a course for people who wanted to move into middle/senior management. Also IIMA brand was also at the back of my mind.

The only thing I was apprehensive was that it was the first batch. Still I preferred it over ISB.

I am not sure how many ppl will be able to make a career shift. Lets wait and watch. But in case you are very sure about a career change and can afford a 2 year programme then go for it. Talkint to ISB students I have realised that shifting is not very easy(even though many ppl do it... stilll the percentage is very less).

Vijay - I am not sure what was my USP. But if you introspect you might have something that would have been different from others. Everyone has something that differenciates him/her from others.

Also I can't comment on the placements as it is the first batch. But I can assure you that it will be awesome as the batch is unbelieveable.

Thanks,
Tarun

Hi Bharath,

You have a good profile. If you can get decent GMAT (say 700+) and write good essays, you have a good chance.

Leadership profiling, I assume, is a part of interview and you need not worry if you have had leadership experience.

All the best!!!!

Tarun

Hi Tarun,

This is my profile :

BE (ELectrical) - NIT/REC
Diploma in Biz Mgmt - ICFAI
Work Exp : 6yrs n 10 months (IT)
Internation exposure : short stints in UK n Australia (in Months)
Team Management roles 4 the past 3 years.

I have not appeared for GMAT yet. Plannin to do in the first week of July in time for the Aug 10 application submission deadline.

What chance do i stand for PGPX 2007-08, atleast in terms of the profile assuming i target for 720+ in GMAT.

I also wantd to know about Leadership Profiling. Can u tell me what happens there..

Please can you answer my queries.

Thanks.
Bharath.

Hi guys

Planning to take the GMAT on July 15th, shooting for August 5th as form submittal date.

Has anyone started working on their form yet? The essays etc?

Tarun, we are looking forward to you and your classmates for further guidance on this. Let us know of any pitfalls, etc, as this is a very important first step.

Thanks.

Pinak.

Hello tarun,
Congratulations for coming in PGPX. and highly appreciate that inspite of busy schedule you have taken this initiative.
I will be grateful if you can clarify some of my doubts:
Qs 1: How much IIMA pgpz give weightage to one's undergrad school?
Qs2: What are the min criteria for selection?
Qs 3: From which Industry what most people are from?
Qs 4: How they percieve IT applicants? What kind of profile they expect
of IT people in order to take admission in PGPX?

Thanks

Regds
HMG

Hi Guys,

I am Tarun, a current student PGPX student.

If you have any queries, I would be happy to answer them.

Tarun

hi pgpxguy
i have a query .i have around 5 years of exp. in nuclear industry in india.but i did not have any international exposure.will it be a handicap for me.i have got 720 in gmat and 3.8 gpa.
pm

Hi,

Thanks.
1. IIMA gives some weightage to both undergrad school and marks but I have seen them rejecting ppl from IIT and selecting ppl from private colleges. It all depends on the total profile. I don't think a no name undergrad school is a negative but a big name like IIT is a definite positive.

2. Min criteria should be there on the website. Normally it is your age and around 7 years of work ex.

3. I guess around 50% people are from IT. Rest are CA's, Army officers, Air force officers, guys from manufacturing etc.

4. Nothing against IT guys but looks like it is more competitive pool as lot many IT guys apply. This is just my observation. Here the IT guys would have average work-ex of around 8-9 years with around 700 average GMAT.

Thanks,
Tarun

Hello tarun,
Congratulations for coming in PGPX. and highly appreciate that inspite of busy schedule you have taken this initiative.
I will be grateful if you can clarify some of my doubts:
Qs 1: How much IIMA pgpz give weightage to one's undergrad school?
Qs2: What are the min criteria for selection?
Qs 3: From which Industry what most people are from?
Qs 4: How they percieve IT applicants? What kind of profile they expect
of IT people in order to take admission in PGPX?

Thanks

Regds
HMG

Hi Pramod,

International work-ex is not a must but it is desirable. Still there are many people here who don't have international work-ex. The only problem might be you less work ex. Still try your best. In case your profile is very good (esp. if you have some managerial work ex), with a 720 GMAT you have a fair chance of making it.

All the best.

Tarun

hi pgpxguy
i have a query .i have around 5 years of exp. in nuclear industry in india.but i did not have any international exposure.will it be a handicap for me.i have got 720 in gmat and 3.8 gpa.
pm

HI guys ,
I am Suman , here's my profile

Ex: 5 yrs (IT)
GMAT : 690
Current Role : Managerial
International Exp : 1/2 year

I have decided to go for a 1 yr MBA.(isb/iima pgpx/iimc pgpex)
let me know about pgpx as they want guys with 7 yrs.

Regards
Suman Ray

Hi tarun,

Will you please assess my profile and give your opinion about my chance to get admission in PGPX.

Education: CA
Experience : 12 years ( 6 years in Corporate Finance and 6 years in SAP consulting)
International Experience : 3 years as on 31.03.2007
Role: Project Management
GMAT Score : 660 (Too bad)

I have rescheduled my GMAT again on 24th July but I am not sure whether I will be able to improve my score.

Please give your opinion whether I must improve my GMAT score or in your batch there are people with this GMAT score.

Regards
Convio

hi convio,

tarun's been a busy b'day boy oflate 😃 so let me answer your question.

my take is that your profile is impressive. your fin. background coupled with consulting exposure should be a good fit. we have 5 CAs in the class and buggers are much sought after assets here .....there have been times when many of us techies have felt like liabilities in the first two terms.:)

back it up with strong essays and also apply to God's school of Management.:)

All the best.

cheers
mukul

hi tarun

thanks for opening up this group. is there someone called Jaikrishnan in current pgpx batch ?

Hi Tarun and Mukul,

Thanks for opening this thread. I gave my GMAT exam last week. Got a score of 670. Verbal really killed me. Not the score I expected. Was aiming for a score around 700. Anyways - wanted to check on my chances for PGPX 2007.

I have around 11 years of experience in IT. I am currently in managerial role and have been in this position for around 2 years now. Have a bachelors degree in Engineering - Computers with a CGPA of 8.2/10.

Should I try to improve on my score? I think it is on the lower side looking at another thread that Tarun started earlier this year.

Suggestions???

Thanks
Vicky

hi vick

if possible, gun for a higher score (700+). last yr with the same score, institute asked me to comeback with a higher score, with all my diversity mantras/ploys . but i had only 6 yrs workex last yr agst your 11 yrs, so cant say - but why take risk ??

cheers:) 😃

Most people will say that GMAT score is not the only criteria for admission to a B-school and its true to an extent ...However its also the first criteria to screen people ....

One can expect that lot of IT junta will apply so if you have a story which is very different and can make an impact ...this score will do ..otherwise please retake GMAT.

Cheers
Mukul

Hi Tarun and Mukul,

Thanks for opening this thread. I gave my GMAT exam last week. Got a score of 670. Verbal really killed me. Not the score I expected. Was aiming for a score around 700. Anyways - wanted to check on my chances for PGPX 2007.

I have around 11 years of experience in IT. I am currently in managerial role and have been in this position for around 2 years now. Have a bachelors degree in Engineering - Computers with a CGPA of 8.2/10.

Should I try to improve on my score? I think it is on the lower side looking at another thread that Tarun started earlier this year.

Suggestions???

Thanks
Vicky
Hi Mukul and Tarun,
Many thanks to both of you for taking time out and answering the PGPX aspirants questions and assessing their profile.
How about my chances for getting a interview call ? Here's my profile;
-------------------------------------------------
GMAT: 700
Worexperience: 9 years 4 months
3.5 years at a largest automotive company in India (R&D; experience)
6 years at an engineering software company
Worked with sales, marketing and development
Education:: M.Tech (Mech. Engg.) from IIT-K, B.E (Mech. Engg.) from Pune Univ.
Academics: 73% in B.E
CGPA: 8.0/10.0 in M.Tech
Managerial Experience: Team leader for a team of 14 engineers.
(Resposible for hiring, promotion, growth, issues, project delivery, client satisfaction)
Awards/Papers: 4 research papers and 1 award from worlds number 1 automotive company.
Extra-curicular: Nothing except interest in sports. No community service.
----------------------------------------------
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you guys would have.
Thanks & best regards
Neta