IIMA PGPX Class of 2011 aspirants!

Hi all, This thread is for the aspirants of the Numero uno 1 year MBA program of India- IIMA PGPX. Want to clear some misconceptions about PGPX. There is no minimum work ex as eligibility criteria as it is for other IIMs one year program…

Hi all, This thread is for the aspirants of the Numero uno 1 year MBA program of India- IIMA PGPX.

Want to clear some misconceptions about PGPX.

There is no minimum work ex as eligibility criteria as it is for other IIMs one year programmes.
The average work-ex is 6-7 yrs, but even with 3 yrs work-ex, guys have got the admit.
Minimum age should be 27 at time of joining.
Next year the batch strength will most likely increase to 160.
The number of applicants is only 1400.
The average GMAT is 728 so u have got good chances if ur Gmat is around the average.
They want more women candidates to go up the rankings.
they want more diverse candidates for the same reason.

so All the Best to all the applicants.

My profile:
GMAT 720. Edu: B. Tech, M.S. Exp. 4 years in IT industry. Age 26.
Goal: IIMA PGPX Class of 2011

IIMA has a new campus with new classrooms and hostels for this PGPX course. Hope that IIMA debuts in top 15 in next FT rankings. Since IIMA has 30% higher salary than ISB for last 2 batches.

Good Initiative Dude, however too early as the admission process will start in Apr'09.

I vouch, PGPX is the best option (one year Indian MBA) for professionals having 5 yrs + exp.

I am one of the PGPX IV admits, and will try to provide my suggesstion, provided time permits as PGPX has a very rigorous curriculum and demands 100% dedication.

ATB guys,

PGPX_aspirant11 Says
IIMA has a new campus with new classrooms and hostels for this PGPX course. Hope that IIMA debuts in top 15 in next FT rankings. Since IIMA has 30% higher salary than ISB for last 2 batches.
Hi all, This thread is for the aspirants of the Numero uno 1 year MBA program of India- IIMA PGPX.

There is no minimum work ex as eligibility criteria as it is for other IIMs one year programmes.
The average work-ex is 6-7 yrs, but even with 3 yrs work-ex, guys have got the admit.
The average GMAT is 728 so u have got good chances if ur Gmat is around the average.

My profile:

Hi, thanks for taking the initiative to set up this thread and also for clearing up the misconcepts/sharing facts. I didn't know there was no minimum work ex required in PGPx !

anyway, i am planning to apply for IIM A, B & C (again) this year. My profile GMAT , B.E, Exp: 10 Yrs IT industry, Engineering Manager, Age 33, Goal: Admit to either of A, B or C this year.

but since min work ex is not required with preference to females and i am not from army or any fancy "diverse" background, my chances at IIM-A might be quite slim.

will give it a shot !!

Hi guys,

I am one of the deferees from PGPX-IV and will be joining the PGPX program in 2010. Good to see that the group has a headstart. Can we put PGPX-V in the title?

All the best to all aspirants. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

The average GMAT of 728 was a misquote by the newspaper journalist. All the current admitted students took a poll and judged it too high. Quite a few high GMAT scorers (750+) were rejected by IIMA.

Number of applicants was about 1600+ last year.

My profile
Age- Will be 31 at joining
M.S.- US
Will have 7 years exp in 2010, all in the USA, mainly in Engineering and IT-Functional
GMAT 710.

Regards,
Satish

My profile:

Hi,

I am also an aspirant.
Profile: 5+ years IIM
GMAT : 740.

Can you please share your profile

Cheers
Sunil.

Good Initiative Dude, however too early as the admission process will start in Apr'09.

I vouch, PGPX is best one year MBA in India for professionals having 5 yrs + exp.

I am one of the PGPX IV admits, and will try to provide my suggesstion, provided time permits as PGPX has a very rigorous curriculum and demands 100% dedication.

ATB guys,

Hello Satish,
Can you please share your interview experience on this thread? Any particulary reason for deffering your admission?

I am planning on applying later this year to PGPX. I have a BTech in Chemical Engg from IITM, Ph.D in Chemical Engg, 5 years of R&D; experience in US. 730 in GMAT; good acads and extra-curriculars.

Regards
RS

Hi guys,

I am one of the deferees from PGPX-IV and will be joining the PGPX program in 2010. Good to see that the group has a headstart. Can we put PGPX-V in the title?

All the best to all aspirants. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

The average GMAT of 728 was a misquote by the newspaper journalist. All the current admitted students took a poll and judged it too high. Quite a few high GMAT scorers (750+) were rejected by IIMA.

Number of applicants was about 1600+ last year.

My profile
Age- Will be 31 at joining
M.S.- US
Will have 7 years exp in 2010, all in the USA, mainly in Engineering and IT-Functional
GMAT 710.

Regards,
Satish

PGPX adcom generally prefers higher workex professionals, but it counts PG (such as MS) duration also for total work exp. This year one person with 3.5 yrs also got the admission offer.

So keep your hope alive.

A piece of information on Minimum (approx.) GMAT score(remember GMAT is just one of the criterio for shortlisting) for PGPX IV:

Non IT Male: 690
Non IT Female: 680
IT Male: 700 to 720 (a lot depends on the applicant's profile)
IT Female: 680 to 710 (a lot depends on the applicant's profile)

Please read the above with a variation of +/- 10

PGPX IV consists 30% from IT pool, while in PGPX III, the IT share was 50%.

Hi,

I am also an aspirant.
Profile: 5+ years IIM
GMAT : 740.

Can you please share your profile

Cheers
Sunil.

Hi All

I am also in race. Last yr I could not make after interview. I interacted extensively with one professor during interview and found following what IIM-A look for in candidates:

1) No point for communication skill, however candidate should be vocal and able to articulate on diverse topics
2) Candidate must have proof to handle rigorous study i.e. GMAT score, good academic
3) Candidate must have managerial experience - project manager, leading position etc
4) Good achievement in school and in a leadership position
5) chance of placement - so higher salary or very unique profile may be proven double edge sword

GMAT - 680+ you may expect call if you application reflects to be favorable for most of above points

Hello Satish,
Can you please share your interview experience on this thread? Any particulary reason for deffering your admission?

I am planning on applying later this year to PGPX. I have a BTech in Chemical Engg from IITM, Ph.D in Chemical Engg, 5 years of R&D; experience in US. 730 in GMAT; good acads and extra-curriculars.

Regards
RS

Hello RS,
At this stage, I would not even think about the interview . In case you are still interested, you will find the details of mine as well as lot of other interview experience in the previous batch's Pagalguy forum. The thread header is "PGPX IV - 2009-10: Application Process and Beyond". Let me know if you have any questions after going through that.

I had to defer my admission for quite a few reasons. I am from Atlanta, GA. After I got the admit, there was not enough time to sell my condo. The market was down and there was no movement on it. Also, there were other personal reasons which made it diffcult to wrap up my stay in the US.

You have a good profile. All the best with your application.

Satish

Hello Satish,

Thanks for sharing your profile and congrats on getting accepted last year. I would love to get your thoughts on my profile:

GMAT: 710
Work Experience: 8 years in 2010 all in the US
Industry: Healthcare research and strategy consulting
Education: MS (US) GPA 3.3 and Bachelors of Engineering from India

I had a few questions regarding the admission process and I was wondering if you could share your email address with me.

Thanks,
SC

Hello Satish,

Thanks for sharing your profile and congrats on getting accepted last year. I would love to get your thoughts on my profile:

GMAT: 710
Work Experience: 8 years in 2010 all in the US
Industry: Healthcare research and strategy consulting
Education: MS (US) GPA 3.3 and Bachelors of Engineering from India

I had a few questions regarding the admission process and I was wondering if you could share your email address with me.

Thanks,
SC

Hello SC,
You have a great educational and professional profile. Generally, there are fewer applicants from healthcare or the medical profession. That gives you some exclusivity.

My email address is [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Satish

Hi guys,
My name is Sriram and I am also one of the deferrals of PGPX-IV. I will be joining with you guys... I want to help anyone who is interested. If there is anything that you want from me please let me know. Good luck with GMAT/applications.

Sriram

Hi,

Count on me ...
My Profile:
Btech (Chem). Age -31 years
Work Experience -10 years in Sales & Marketing, Currently in an MNC based in India as Key Account Manager handing portfolio's worth $10 Mln.
GMAT - Planning to take by June.
Looking forward for fruitful discussion

Ranga

Hi folks,

Thanks for this initiative! I am still trying to decide if I should apply; I need your advice on this.
My profile in summer 2010 will be:
28 yrs + 2 yrs exp in semiconductor process R&D; (US) + PhD (US) + B. Tech. (IIT).
No titular managerial experience as such, and reasonable extra-curricular and co-curricular credentials.
Please advice on,
1. Will I get anything out of the program without substantial managerial experience? Is the managerial experience invoked in the curriculum or at the time of placements or both? I suppose whether I get admitted will reflect this; but the PGPX admissions team sent me an email response saying my candidacy will be competitive.
2. Is the placement process designed to facilitate a switch in industries given how? I ask this since there is no industry for my background (semiconductor process) in India. I suppose one option could be consulting ...
Would the ISB PGP be a better fit for my profile?

Thanks!

Hello xlii,
I have a profile similar to yours - BTech, PhD- but with 5 years in R&D; as of today. I am applying to PGPX later this year. Unless you know for sure that 1) what you have done in R&D; over the last 1 year is not the right thing for you and 2) you know what you want to do in your career (ie., what does satisfaction mean to you?) and 3) you know that PGPX will help achieve your career goals, I would suggest that you give yourself some more time in your current R&D; job and obtain some meaningful work experience in industry. This will give you exposure to leading teams and managing projects of increasing complexity in the R&D; environment.

If you have more questions, pm me.

RS

Hi folks,

Thanks for this initiative! I am still trying to decide if I should apply; I need your advice on this.
My profile in summer 2010 will be:
28 yrs + 2 yrs exp in semiconductor process R&D; (US) + PhD (US) + B. Tech. (IIT).
No titular managerial experience as such, and reasonable extra-curricular and co-curricular credentials.
Please advice on,
1. Will I get anything out of the program without substantial managerial experience? Is the managerial experience invoked in the curriculum or at the time of placements or both? I suppose whether I get admitted will reflect this; but the PGPX admissions team sent me an email response saying my candidacy will be competitive.
2. Is the placement process designed to facilitate a switch in industries given how? I ask this since there is no industry for my background (semiconductor process) in India. I suppose one option could be consulting ...
Would the ISB PGP be a better fit for my profile?

Thanks!

Hello All,
This is a great thread, a special thanks to all those guys taking time to answer questions. I am planning on applying for IIMA PGPX 2010-2011 batch and was wondering if someone could give me a general timeline of events ie Deadline for submitting your initial application (Aug 09?) , interview dates(if selected- Sep 09?) and when the actual course begins (May 2010?). I have not taken my GMAT yet.

My profile is
BE in EC (India)
MS in Electical Engg (US) - among top 10 universities.
5-6 years of progressive experience in Telecom industry in the US as RF Engineer (2G,3G,4G)....led a few projects, great recommendations.
Extra Curicullar - OK..

I know I should be aiming for GMAT of 720+. I would'nt categorize my field as IT....though someone else might( any thoughts).....By when should I be done with my GMAT. Last when I checked they had not posed all this info one the IIMA pgpx website........just wanted to get a general idea so I can plan accordingly....thanks

Last year, I think the app form came online in the second week of april. They had to be submitted online by middle of August. Interview shortlist was announced middle of september. Interviews were held in parts of India, UK and Newark during the first two weeks of October. Admission list was published in the second week of November. Course is April to March I think.

Hello All,
This is a great thread, a special thanks to all those guys taking time to answer questions. I am planning on applying for IIMA PGPX 2010-2011 batch and was wondering if someone could give me a general timeline of events ie Deadline for submitting your initial application (Aug 09?) , interview dates(if selected- Sep 09?) and when the actual course begins (May 2010?). I have not taken my GMAT yet.

My profile is
BE in EC (India)
MS in Electical Engg (US) - among top 10 universities.
5-6 years of progressive experience in Telecom industry in the US as RF Engineer (2G,3G,4G)....led a few projects, great recommendations.
Extra Curicullar - OK..

I know I should be aiming for GMAT of 720+. I would'nt categorize my field as IT....though someone else might( any thoughts).....By when should I be done with my GMAT. Last when I checked they had not posed all this info one the IIMA pgpx website........just wanted to get a general idea so I can plan accordingly....thanks

Dear All,

Good to be back on the forum..

Last year, I applied for Executives programs at IIM A, B and C. I got my offers from C and B but A rejected me (post interview).

The economy and my intent of taking the courses offered at A got me to reject the offers from other programs. Given the situation and the opportunity cost (leaving a job and paying a big fee), I was not sure if joining this program will be a best bet especially, that these are short one year programs and economy may take a bit more than that to recover.

Having said that, I was wondering if you have any news on the placements completed in March 2009.

Look forward to a great discussion forum and a preparatin platform.

Best,
Sameer