IIM Shillong

IIM Shillong will start operations from 2008 :: And they will be considering CAT 2007 scores :slight_smile: 60 Seats. Infrastructure : Yes Board of Directors : Yes Faculty : No :: :: :: :: For more details : IIM Shillo…

IIM Shillong will start operations from 2008

And they will be considering CAT 2007 scores :)

60 Seats.

Infrastructure : Yes
Board of Directors : Yes
Faculty : No

For more details : IIM Shillong to begin operations next year=

It is not IIM Shillong but Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management Shillong.

CAT 2007 CANDIDATES TO BE NOTIFIED

A brand new IIM would mean an addition of 60 seats for aspiring management students. However, the HRD ministry is said to have taken seriously-the issue of recent advertisement on the Common Admission Test (CAT) scheduled for November 18, 2007 --as IIM Shillong's name does not figure on the list of IIMs in the advertisement.

In this light, the CAT group which comprises admissions chairpersons of all the six IIMs would meet and sort out the issue on how to notify interested candidates on the commencement of the new IIM.

"The CAT group was not aware of IIM Shillong's commissioning next academic year. Now we might issue a small advertisement or a press release informing interested parties of this new IIM," said a CAT group member.

The last line is interesting!!!

cat_a_gal Says
It is not IIM Shillong but Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management Shillong.

i think it will be considered an iim only considering the fact that many NITs like NIT allahabad (MLNR) have been named differently in the past.

The new IIM will draw students from the north-eastern belt who otherwise flock to metros like Mumbai and Delhi for higher studies.
i found this particular line worth a debtae so bringing it up..so does the seventh iim i.e iim shillong have a preference for north eastern candidates.it's not clearly mentioned but thats what the last few lines of the article try to convey

The new IIM will draw students from the north-eastern belt who otherwise flock to metros like Mumbai and Delhi for higher studies.
i found this particular line worth a debtae so bringing it up..so does the seventh iim i.e iim shillong have a preference for north eastern candidates.it's not clearly mentioned but thats what the last few lines of the article try to convey

No one would forgo a B/L/A/C/K/I seat for the new S..... atleast for a decade or so...

This is interesting..
Its a good idea to have one more IIM, but infrastructure in Shillong is nowhere close to the places where we have IIMs already. There is threat of terrorism as well.

Candidates will not surely leave out other IIMs for Shillong even if they belong to Mehalaya. But it can be a better choice than many other B-schools bcaz of the IIM Brand.

We cant expect it to perform too well in the beginning but slowly this insti will also do well as K and I are doing well.

Initial apprehensions will be there with any institute..I remember same concerns were voiced when IIMK was setup ( Kozhikode is my hometown ) . And, the demand during initial phase was low that ppl in 94 %le range too got calls at that time.. It was setup initially in NITC campus .. But gradually, the true value of IIM brand came into picture and now K is also very much competitive..

I guess in thew long run( may be in a span of 8 yrs or so ) , IIM Shillong too will be among the top. Overall, a good move for the development of North-East.

Ajith

Hmm a new IIM ..er..RGIIM at Shillong throws up a few raised eyebrows, and interesting implications. In the long run, I agree that IIM Shilliong would take some time before it can get upspeed with the other newer IIMs like K and I, and a certain point of time IIM S may give L,I and K a run for their money. However, I wonder what would be the implications for the people giving CAT 2007. Obviously, no body is going to leave L, I, K to go to S; however I wonder if people would be willing to gamble their FMS or MDI or XLRI seats for a chance at IIMS.
IIMS pros:
IIM tag, similar brand value as L,K,I in 5-8 years
IIMS cons:
Low on faculty,infrastructure and resources, first two years will be guinea pigs,
Alumni network will take atleast 6-7 years to taek shape.
Due to location and 'new' college, campus placements for the 2008 batch may be quite low.
Absence of any culture and tradition associated with older colleges.
I believe the coming months would see quite a buzz around this topic.

Wow, a new IIM. These comes as a bolt in the blue. However, i would like to put forth a few points concerning the CAT 2007 aspirants:

1: CAT notification is already out. And as far as my estimate goes, about 30-40 percent of the aspirants must have already bought the form. However, the form doesn't consist of the option to apply for IIMS. How are they going to incorporate this? I presume one of the answers would be come up with a separate form for IIMS

2: Not many people will be too keen to go for it:

Reasons:
a: Being the fist batch, we really don't know what to expect. (Some of the puys have already enumerated a few of the limitations/ shortcomings of being the first batch)
b: Geographically not very well connected: Lets face it, shillong is not at all well connected and people will surely think of this as a negative factor.
c: Infrastructure and Faculty: Am not sure about this. How are they going to bring the quality to IIM levels?

However, the HRD ministry having thrown its hat in the ring has shown the amount of miscommunication between the IIMs and the ministry.

Anyways, this certainly will be a hot topic of discussion/ contention.

Wow, a new IIM. These comes as a bolt in the blue. However, i would like to put forth a few points concerning the CAT 2007 aspirants:

1: CAT notification is already out. And as far as my estimate goes, about 30-40 percent of the aspirants must have already bought the form. However, the form doesn't consist of the option to apply for IIMS. How are they going to incorporate this? I presume one of the answers would be come up with a separate form for IIMS

2: Not many people will be too keen to go for it:

Reasons:
a: Being the fist batch, we really don't know what to expect. (Some of the puys have already enumerated a few of the limitations/ shortcomings of being the first batch)
b: Geographically not very well connected: Lets face it, shillong is not at all well connected and people will surely think of this as a negative factor.
c: Infrastructure and Faculty: Am not sure about this. How are they going to bring the quality to IIM levels?

However, the HRD ministry having thrown its hat in the ring has shown the amount of miscommunication between the IIMs and the ministry.

Anyways, this certainly will be a hot topic of discussion/ contention.

I disagree with some of your points as elaborated below.......

1. Simple. They ask you to fill the IIM S bubble in the CAT answer sheet. If you are interested, you darken the bubble, otherwise leave it blank. No need for any separate forms.

2a. Its an IIM. Period. Ok, there'll definitely some things missing like culture, but thats not a big problem.

b. Can be a slight issue, but again, the IIM tag can and will make up for it. kozhikode isnt a very big city either ( I know its bigger than shillong ). Plus with air travel being so cheap nowadays, it hardly matters.

c. Can be a problem initially.

The basic thing is that the first 1-2 batches might face a few problems regarding infra. But placements will still be good. Remember that a lot of recruiters go away from the IIMs without getting the number of people they want. The spillover effect will ensure that IIM S has good placements right from the first year ( unless, of course, there's an economic depression then, but then that can hit even the biggies quite hard ). Also remember that small batch sizes means better placements. And within a few years, it'll be giving the bottom 2-3 IIMs a run for their money.

In the end, its gonna be an IIM.

I think I'll take IIM S over any other non-IIM b-school any day.

Cheers,
Harshad

I totally agree wid the points put forth by you all.
according to me, the b-school should be in the vicinity of industry.
Take, IIM-A, B, C and L
I have heard that most of the profs from I,K and L also love to relocate in A or B or C
(for many reasons)
So though students and faculties are given millitary protection in Shillong, it will take far more time for Shillong to be a top-notch IIM. But whn it comes to brand.....doesnt matter from where you are.

Again...is there any need to add RG before Indian Institute of Management. (No offence bt IIM sounds sexier than RGIIM)

wow!!

IIM shillong..........so like IIMA and IIMB this IIM wld be referred to as IIMS
so now IMS can say I+IMS = IIMS
nice advertising move for them
:D

bharath

Just spoke to the acting director of IIM Shillong and what he told me is in the report below or here - http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=56&p2;_articleid=859

No quota for NE students at IIM Shillong

By PaGaLGuY.com News Service
Published: July 27, 2007

The brand new IIM at Shillong, which will begin operations with 60 students starting 2008, will not have reservation for north-eastern students, the institute's Project Director Prof Pramod Tandon told PaGaLGuY.com over phone today.

"The seats at IIM Shillong will be available through the common pool of CAT 2007 admissions," he informed about the seventh IIM, which shall be called Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management (RGIIM), Shillong.

"The special name was chosen on the collective wish of the governments of all north-eastern states," he added. The institute will still be at par with the rest of the IIMs at Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Indore and Lucknow in terms of its status and ownership, said Prof Tandon, who is also the Vice Chancellor of the North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU).

The plan to lay the seventh IIM in north-east India was laid three years ago in order to provide an institute with national stature in that region. The Union HRD Ministry has in the past week issued recruitment advertisements in the media for a Director to head RGIIM, Shillong and more advertisements looking for faculty are expected to be issued in the coming months. A non-recurring expenditure fund of Rs 120 crores has been granted to the IIM, a large part of which will be used to build a campus in Shillong. Until then, the institute will function from the old premises of NEHU in Mayurbhanj complex.

Asked if RGIIM, Shillong's accessibility will be an obstacle in arranging resources and jobs for its students, Prof Tandon said, "These issues will be worked out in due time once a proper administrative team is in place. But on the whole I think that having an IIM in the region will help boost north east India's potential in natural resources, forestry, horticulture and related sectors by a huge margin," Prof Tandon said.

Sources in NEHU said that although RGIIM, Shillong will not have reservation for north east Indian students, having an IIM in the vicinity would get more students from that area to consider higher education in specialized institutes.

The point is simple-->

No matter where the institute is located, it is an IIM. IIM. And IIM Shillong sounds pretty good too 😉 And as far as the infrastrructure and all are concerned, my take is that they are not at all a problem as IIM S would walk in the shoes of IIM I, which was originally a single block of building!

And looking at the way the Indian business is roaring, the placements in IIMS would soon pickup. Probably earlier than what some people have guessed it here... 3-4 years?

Shillong is definitely a good place to have an IIM unless people would get bored with hills, rains and beautiful nature. With an IIM around, the city sure is going to improve. Now, this will take some time... but anyway all this doesn't matter cos--> we are havaing an IIM!

I'm not really sure how many would call this an RGIIM. I prefer an 'IIM-S' 😉 You know.. IIMS sounds more royal than RGIIM!

A NEW IIM....sounds great to all the CAT aspirants as it will give a few more extra seats for getting into the coveted IIMs.But as usual initially you cannot predict the outcome of such a move by the govt...Sure the brand name will play a crucial role but the location will certainly be a factor. North east has long remained as a neglected region despite long and short promises by previous governments to restore its original glory.An IIM in that region sounds a graet idea to start off with but what matters the most will be the resources, infrastructure and ultimately the placement.This will be a testing time for the IIM S authorities as it has to establish itself at par with atleast the bottom three IIMs.Obviously at this stage the students will be in a bit of a dilemma whether to gamble with their future but at the end of the day its going to give the aspirants to do a bit of thinkover on this matter. All the best to all the aspirants appearing in CAT 2007.

so all CAT aspiring junta BLACKI turns BLACKIS
ready for the kill

The point is simple-->

No matter where the institute is located, it is an IIM. IIM. And IIM Shillong sounds pretty good too 😉 And as far as the infrastrructure and all are concerned, my take is that they are not at all a problem as IIM S would walk in the shoes of IIM I, which was originally a single block of building!

And looking at the way the Indian business is roaring, the placements in IIMS would soon pickup. Probably earlier than what some people have guessed it here... 3-4 years?

Shillong is definitely a good place to have an IIM unless people would get bored with hills, rains and beautiful nature. With an IIM around, the city sure is going to improve. Now, this will take some time... but anyway all this doesn't matter cos--> we are havaing an IIM!

I'm not really sure how many would call this an RGIIM. I prefer an 'IIM-S' 😉 You know.. IIMS sounds more royal than RGIIM!

agree with every pt of urs mate .. i dont really think if need to worry abt the faculty and infrastructure at the moment since we can take a call on our joining till mid-may i guess .. and we have a long period to pass through in between .. do all u can and give it a shot .. if u get any other IIM go for it .. else think and start a thread for discussion again by April :-)

And yes i personally found this RG thing not cool .. the name, IIM, is more than enough :-(
Regards,
Contender

And yes i personally found this RG thing not cool .. the name, IIM, is more than enough :-(
Regards,
Contender

Mate, it's a HRD Ministry initiative. And why would AS miss an opportunity to please MADAM..;)

Anirban