IIM rejects 2009 - the bounce back thread

This thread is for everybody who got up on the morning of 10th of April, with hopes in their eyes and anxiety in their hearts…but whose hopes got dashed by just 1 sentence - “Sorry. Your name does not figure in the List.” No this is not …

This thread is for everybody who got up on the morning of 10th of April, with hopes in their eyes and anxiety in their hearts...but whose hopes got dashed by just 1 sentence -
"Sorry. Your name does not figure in the List."

No this is not the thread for cribbing...not a thread for criticizing...but a thread for all of us to stand up and bounce back...

yes we will bounce back...come back to life..
We accept defeat gracefully, coz we fought hard, we toiled for a year or maybe two or even 3. We managed our academics, our jobs and went through the ups and downs. Yes, we didnt convert, but we fought. We gave in our best.

I remember my favourite song here -

I get knocked down
But I get up again
Ur never gonna keep me down

Yes u r never gonna keep me down. I will bounce back the next year, and so will my rejected brethren. So dont lose heart and come up with double the enthu and double the energy the next time...coz If u think u can, then u should!!!

We didnt get to write about our profiles at any of the converted threads, so lets just write here and come back next year to c that we finally did get thru. So here I go -

Profile -
10th - 86%
12th - 89%
Grad - NSIT (71%)

Work Exp - 2 years (Energy Consulting)

CAT Percentile - 98.3 over all
Calls - IIM K
Converts - Nil
Rejects - IIM K

Any thing else - Loads of extra curriculars

EDIT - I got through XLRI the next year!!! :)

Hi,

It's with some really great effort that I manage to write this,probably because this was my first attempt and was starry eyed about the whole thing. And I had a disastrous first season. I was rejected in every single interview so far.

Profile:

10th-94.16
12th-77.77
B.Tech-64.38(2006)

Work ex-zero

CAT 08- 99.4

Calls :IIM K,FMS,NITIE,MDI,IMT G,IMI,SIBM
Rejects :IIM K,FMS,NITIE,IMT G,IMI,SIBM

I have 2.5 yr career gap as I had back papers and didn't land a job. This may be the reason why I was rejected. The worst thing is,I still don't know the reason and how are we supposed to bounce back without that? With this profile,is it reasonable to think I can ever make it?

Hi,

It's with some really great effort that I manage to write this,probably because this was my first attempt and was starry eyed about the whole thing. And I had a disastrous first season. I was rejected in every single interview so far.

Profile:

10th-94.16
12th-77.77
B.Tech-64.38(2006)

Work ex-zero

CAT 08- 99.4

Calls :IIM K,FMS,NITIE,MDI,IMT G,IMI,SIBM
Rejects :IIM K,FMS,NITIE,IMT G,IMI,SIBM

I have 2.5 yr career gap as I had back papers and didn't land a job. This may be the reason why I was rejected. The worst thing is,I still don't know the reason and how are we supposed to bounce back without that? With this profile,is it reasonable to think I can ever make it?

any specific reasons u didnt write cat 06 and 07...??...seeing that this was ur first attempt u had an exceptional score... kudos

this is cruel..
but frankly...no 1 shows mercy 2 day...
ull shine 1 day...
my story is not dat bad as u....
but still i can understand ur feelings...
fite....

Dhooper dude,

Wont comment on bouncing back next year (mainly bcoz the process is way too unpredictable)..short-term setbacks will be there, but this attitude of setting them back and marching on will make you a winner for life - I salute your steely resolve bro..cheers!

I'll quote Winston Churchill for all of us whose dreams have not died, and the dreams which shall live again, in full glory, sooner than later:

Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate,
that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength;
that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance.
As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.

Lets just keep the faith and give it our best shots one more time..

if there is anything such as never-say-die,
its time to practice it, dear puy!

if there is anything such as never-say-die,
its time to practice it, dear puy!

eternal...

bulls eye...
this is why puys rock...if not musically...

bleach it out Says
any specific reasons u didnt write cat 06 and 07...??...seeing that this was ur first attempt u had an exceptional score... kudos

Yes. I was never ambitious or serious about anything at all. That's why I had too many back papers. Then it took me some time to clear them all. I applied for CAT 06 but my application got rejected since I didn't attach a certificate which my college refused to give me But I was not at all serious about MBA and forgot all about it.

Then there were some changes in life which made me want to satisfy my ego and I found myself in a position to take a very serious decision about future. CAT and IIMs were the solutions. So, I toiled for it and got a good score and was slightly surprised that I had just one call with that score. I even waived OBC quota to satisfy this ego and to convince myself about my 'principles'.

I am still not very clear why I want to do my MBA(which may be a very good reason for rejection). I am not sure if I want to write CAT again since nothing much is going to be changed about me in a few months. Every year IIMs come up with some new whimsical idea for shortlisting candidates and we can't predict if they'd look at my DNA profile next year or whether I had flunked my spelling test in LKG ( I wouldn't be surprised if IIM B does).So..with so much uncertainty, writing CAT again and again is like stabbing in the dark hoping to hit jackpot. Most people attempt again and again because they fail to crack CAT,but having come very close to IIM final conversion and losing it sucks big time.

My post is not meant to discourage anyone and you may even find traces of 'sour grapes';)Hope all of you get into IIM next time. I am not going to give you the usual fatalistic crap like "may be something better is awaiting you","everything is for good","when one door closes,other one opens".It never makes you feel any better. I know it as do you. As Winston Churchill says "Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm"(thanks to the puy who has it as his signature).

Friends,

Can anybody give me some hope .....

My profile :
X - 72.8 (CBSE)
XII - 76.4(CBSE)
Engg - 56.8 (with 1yr gap due to illness...and low scoring univeristy)
Work -ex - 20 months with Cognizant
CAT '08 - 98.85 with 4 silly mistakes (CAT '06 - 96.97 with zero preparation)

CAT '09 - I can get 99.5+, and I can bring my work-ex to 2.5 yrs , but with this profile can i ever get an IIM C or IIML convert ?

Top institutes like IIMs, ISB (even foriegn universities) put huge weightages into past acads, which is a cause of immense frustation for many of us. In Indian Universities, marks are not at all standardized and this can hurt us really bad.... What to do?

May be getting a fake marks certificate or a reserved category certificate the only way out....becoz with 57% in engg(even branch topper had 65% in our college) I cant even get a ABCL call(leave alone a final convert) even at 100 percentile CAT score.....

Hi,

Okay,so we didn't get into an IIM. Some of us may try again. I haven't made up my mind myself. But I would like to hear some suggestions,opinions or steps about what all of you are going to do next time that you didn't do this time. Clearly, CAT score is nearly insignificant after getting calls though many IIMs claim to give certain percentage of weightage. Other than improving CAT score what else could be done to get into the 'hallowed precincts'? I feel I need to improve my interpersonal skills and communication skills as in most cases GD did me in.

Kudos for starting this post... Kudos to all those hard fighters...
Well... to start up,
My Profile:
X - 86%
XII - 94.9%
B.Tech - 67.7%(2006)
17 months of exp... Resigned the job in the month of July'08 only to prepare for CAT...

CAT 06 ---> Don't even ask!!!
CAT 07 ---> Pathetic......
CAT 08 ---> Disaster..

I didn't get any IIM call, but I really have the stuff to get into an IIM{I feel so...}
Gave a couple of exams, finally landed in SITM...
Got waitlisted at FMS, SIBM, FORE... a couple more

After introspecting, 3 years of hard end effort is a fruitless pursuit of something unattainable(IIM). Well, I've decided to join SITM for now.. but decided to give CAT'09... Whether I join an IIM or not is secondary, but getting selected in IIM is primary.

Here is what I got inspired from:
"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

Wish me good luck...
Gung Ho!!

hey puys,

don't lose hope..i have been through similar phase and believe me something good is in store for everybody.
I had calls frm XLRI, NMIMS, XIMB, SIBM, SCMHRD in 2006, my last year of grad..coudn't convert any of them.

Then came the mother of all shocks..had calls frm IIM-A,C,K,L and I in 2007 and no converts again..had a work-ex of 6 months at the time of GD/PI..resigned after GD/PI hoping that at least 1 to convert ho jayega..but as was to happen..i was without a job and without any final call

Circa 2008, calls frm IIFT, XLRI, MDI, IMT, XIMB. 11th March 2008- IIFT was the first one to announce my name for the kolkata campus and the jinx was broken then had final calls frm IMT, XIMB and also got thrugh JBIMS.. so finally in mumbai, done with 1 year of MBA.vl start my summers in 25 days.

Friends,

Can anybody give me some hope .....

My profile :
X - 72.8 (CBSE)
XII - 76.4(CBSE)
Engg - 56.8 (with 1yr gap due to illness...and low scoring univeristy)
Work -ex - 20 months with Cognizant
CAT '08 - 98.85 with 4 silly mistakes (CAT '06 - 96.97 with zero preparation)

CAT '09 - I can get 99.5+, and I can bring my work-ex to 2.5 yrs , but with this profile can i ever get an IIM C or IIML convert ?

Top institutes like IIMs, ISB (even foriegn universities) put huge weightages into past acads, which is a cause of immense frustation for many of us. In Indian Universities, marks are not at all standardized and this can hurt us really bad.... What to do?

May be getting a fake marks certificate or a reserved category certificate the only way out....becoz with 57% in engg(even branch topper had 65% in our college) I cant even get a ABCL call(leave alone a final convert) even at 100 percentile CAT score.....

you need hope? read your post again... no prep got you 96.97 in '06

you have it buddy. keep going. call aayegi... and have faith in yourself...

ATB
Guys, I am not one amongst you people. I have been trying for CAT since 2005 but haven't managed to cross even 90%tile even once. I am not an engineer, a simple B.Sc grad. I did a diploma course after my B.Sc and then after 11 months of work experience. Frankly speaking main kahin stand nai karta huun IIMs ki race mein. May even be forced to join ICFAi Hyderabad this year due to some social obligations. Ye kuch lines hain, which have kept me going till now and I hope to take cat again even if I graduate from ICFAI.

, .
, .

, ,
, .
, ,

Thanks puys. : )

can you please make the font size a little bigger?

thank you!

My profile :
X - 79.0 (CBSE)
XII - 77.6(CBSE)
Engg - 78.0 (till 7th sem, still in my final year of b.tech)
CAT '08 - 99.83 (with zero preparation)

calls: I,K
rejects: I,K

what do u think about my chances with these academics in CAT '09?
initially i was very disappointed after getting rejected in both the IIMs, but looking at ur spirit guys, i'm ready to bounce back once again

"My profile :
X - 79.0 (CBSE)
XII - 77.6(CBSE)

initially i was very disappointed after getting rejected in both the IIMs, but looking at ur spirit guys, i'm ready to bounce back once again "

Its my personal opinion that while acads do matter to some extent,it gets redundant beyond a point.
Don't get me wrong,i am NOT saying that the IIM's don't care about your grades.Of course they do as is evident from the calls they issue-but i think it stops there.
I mean the very fact that you got CALLS from IIM-I and IIM-K is no mean feat.
If you have it in you to get a call,you most certainly have it in you to convert that!They called you because they felt you were worth a seat in their great institution.Please keep that in mind,my friend !
Good Luck to you and hope you strike gold with CAT-09 😃

"My profile :
X - 79.0 (CBSE)
XII - 77.6(CBSE)

initially i was very disappointed after getting rejected in both the IIMs, but looking at ur spirit guys, i'm ready to bounce back once again "

Its my personal opinion that while acads do matter to some extent,it gets redundant beyond a point.
Don't get me wrong,i am NOT saying that the IIM's don't care about your grades.Of course they do as is evident from the calls they issue-but i think it stops there.
I mean the very fact that you got CALLS from IIM-I and IIM-K is no mean feat.
If you have it in you to get a call,you most certainly have it in you to convert that!They called you because they felt you were worth a seat in their great institution.Please keep that in mind,my friend !
Good Luck to you and hope you strike gold with CAT-09 :)

Hi,
I think work experience is most important factor in getting selected. Freshers who have 99.5x have no chance of converting IIM. But with work-exp and same percentile ,you get IIM convert. That is only reason why so many appear CAT again. Work-exp plays most important role in getting selected.
Hi,
I think work experience is most important factor in getting selected. Freshers who have 99.5x have no chance of converting IIM. But with work-exp and same percentile ,you get IIM convert. That is only reason why so many appear CAT again. Work-exp plays most important role in getting selected.

I have a different opinion to what my friend italy669 said.
I personally know a friend who got into IIM C, he is a fresher and also had a percentile of 99.4. He got calls from IIM C, K and I. He converted C and I and was waitlisted at K.

So, even a fresher has very good chance of getting into IIM. It all depends on our attitude in the GDPI process.
I have a different opinion to what my friend italy669 said.
I personally know a friend who got into IIM C, he is a fresher and also had a percentile of 99.4. He got calls from IIM C, K and I. He converted C and I and was waitlisted at K.

So, even a fresher has very good chance of getting into IIM. It all depends on our attitude in the GDPI process.

Dude, IIMC is only IIM where gd/pi matters. IIIMA,B are profile and work-exp based.So work-exp is single most important factor for other IIM,say L,I,K. Unless you have 99.8x as fresher or extremely good profile, as a fresher you have less chance..Of course, IIMC director has openly said past academics do not matter.