IIM Lucknow-IPMX 2010-11: Admission Process and Beyond

Hi All, IIM Lucknow has announced the admission process dates for the 3rd batch of its IPMX progam. Please go through the website for details. IIM Lucknow - Noida Campus Some Important date are: Announcement of Programme (download o…

Hi All,

IIM Lucknow has announced the admission process dates for the 3rd batch of its IPMX progam. Please go through the website for details. IIM Lucknow - Noida Campus

Some Important date are:

Announcement of Programme (download of application form from the website) June 28, 2009
Submission of Complete Application
November 10, 2009 by 5 PM Announcement of Short-listed Candidate
for Personal Interview
November 30, 2009
Personal Interview
Second/third week of December, 2009
Announcement of Selected Candidates
First week of January, 2010 Acceptance & Submission of
First Fee Installment
January 23, 2010
Students report on Campus
April 01, 2010
Induction Programme April 2-3, 2010 Commencement of Programme April 05, 2010

I am a student at IIM Lucknow's IPMX program and would be here to help you guys if you have any queries regarding the program and curriculum. I can give you the insight into the institute and the program from time to time along with my batchmates. Time is an extremely rare commodity in IIM's so answers to your queries may take little time occassionaly.

So, Good Luck folks!! I have been there in this situation so I know how it feels. 😃 The whole Application process in itself is a learning process.

thanks for starting this post.
1.Most of the IIM's Have started their one year programs. Can you shed some light if IIML program is in anyway different compared to other peers.
2.since the one year program runs in noida campus, do students particapte in any other activities other than academics( for instance running clubs such as consulting, marketing etc). the advantage of working with PGP students on other activites is not possible bcz of different location?
3.do u guys have to travel to lucknow campus?

I think the one year program in all IIM's differ only by their name. Rest is more or less same. They all follow the similar academic rigor and curriculum is also more or less same. every program has a foreign component. This year IIML is going to Canada and from next year they will go to either Europe or East Asia.

Noida Campus is a great addition to the main campus. Apart from being close to NCR it is also IPMX's own campus as it is the flagship program here. The infrastructure is new and pretty good. We have full cooperation and coordination with the main Lucknow campus too. The students body from both campus are in constant touch. We also have all the clubs like Marketing, Finance, Consulting, Operations, etc which do quite a bit of activities. But since we have time constraints compared to PGP, so a balancing act has to be done. But this year all the committees and clubs have lots of good events in the pipeline.

we have not yet travelled to Lucknow campus, but we do have plans to visit the campus for some events this year and students from Lucknow campus will also visit the Noida Campus later in the year.

Hope it helps answer some of your queries!!

thanks for starting this post.
1.Most of the IIM's Have started their one year programs. Can you shed some light if IIML program is in anyway different compared to other peers.
2.since the one year program runs in noida campus, do students particapte in any other activities other than academics( for instance running clubs such as consulting, marketing etc). the advantage of working with PGP students on other activites is not possible bcz of different location?
3.do u guys have to travel to lucknow campus?

Thanks for this initiative to come forward and answer our queries. I really appreciate your time and willingness to help.

I am targetting GMAT before the appliction deadline - Novemnber. I would be really thankful if you can help me with answers to following questions:

My Profile:

-I have around 10 yrs of work exp with TCS.
-Have good acads as well as have also been managing few projects for quite some time.
-Have worked in US for around 4 yrs.

What is the GMAT score I should be targetting? as well as what are other aspects that would help me?

- Also I would like to know the placement scenario for this program

Thanks a lot for your time.

-

Your profile looks competitive. But having said that profile evaluation is relative to the applicant pool. The avg GMAT for current batch is 700, so crossing the 700 mark in GMAT is always a plus. Aim for 720-730..this would increase your chances to get shortlisted for an interview. Also present your profile in a manner in your application that brings out your objective and passion to do an MBA.

Placements in all IIM's and ISB have been affected by this economic downturn. But things are looking good for the next year. So, hope for the best and I am sure IIM's will sail through this.

Good Luck!

Thanks for this initiative to come forward and answer our queries. I really appreciate your time and willingness to help.

I am targetting GMAT before the appliction deadline - Novemnber. I would be really thankful if you can help me with answers to following questions:

My Profile:

-I have around 10 yrs of work exp with TCS.
-Have good acads as well as have also been managing few projects for quite some time.
-Have worked in US for around 4 yrs.

What is the GMAT score I should be targetting? as well as what are other aspects that would help me?

- Also I would like to know the placement scenario for this program

Thanks a lot for your time.

-

Thanks theCrab for starting this thread. Its really heartwarming to see current students showing the willingness to help the prospective candidates. The insightful responces are really invaluable in this journey as I am already finding in the other IIM forums.

Just a brief introduction:

30+/M/IT(healthcare domain)/700/8.5 yrs/5 onsite in US and Europe/Program manager in US for last 3yrs/Acads good/ EC good.

A quick question though:
There is no place in the application form where the choice for interview location can be specified. In my situation I may be in different locations depending on work. At what point in time does one specify the preferences and agree to a location if there are multiple possibilities?

Thanks and ATB to all fellow applicants.

The interview location was decided based on your current mailing address last year. In case it is outside India, interview will be conducted over telephone or video conferencing through Skype/Yahoo. You can email the adcom to clarify this issue to be on the safer side.

Good Luck!

Thanks theCrab for starting this thread. Its really heartwarming to see current students showing the willingness to help the prospective candidates. The insightful responces are really invaluable in this journey as I am already finding in the other IIM forums.

Just a brief introduction:

30+/M/IT(healthcare domain)/700/8.5 yrs/5 onsite in US and Europe/Program manager in US for last 3yrs/Acads good/ EC good.

A quick question though:
There is no place in the application form where the choice for interview location can be specified. In my situation I may be in different locations depending on work. At what point in time does one specify the preferences and agree to a location if there are multiple possibilities?

Thanks and ATB to all fellow applicants.
Hello everyone,

I am also aspiring to pursue IPMX course at IIM-L.

Crab, thanks for starting this thread!

A little intro from my side

GMAT 710 (V34, Q51)
Work ex 6 yrs in US (Energy/ Utility industry) - Electrical Engineering
MS from US univ
BE Mumbai Univ - Univ rank
Above avg EC

Crab you indicated that most of the one yr management programs at IIIMs are similar...can you tell what is your experience till date on following points:

1) What is IIML strength?... I do understand all IIMs are great at all the managment areas - finance, general managment, sale & marketing etc.
but for example IIMA well known for General Management, IIMC well known for Finance, IIMB proximity to finance and GM..I am trying to understand the school's strength and allign my expectation with them...

2) It is indicated that IIM-L Noida campus, where IPMX is conducted, is fully supported by faculty from Lucknow campus. Are there enough faculty members for two campuses?

3) IPMX includes an international module..in last batch do you know how many of the students really used this opportunity to travel abroad?

4) Do you have some information about the current batch profile (work ex, industry).

thanks in advance!

Here are your answers:

1) IIML I think cannot be branded as being in good in this or that. As far as my experience the faculty in Finance, Strategy, Operations are very well known in their fields and are very well respected. Faculty in Marketing and General Management are also very good. So, I guess whatever area you want to go into you will find pretty good courses and faculty to teach them.

2) yes, it is fully supported by Lucknow campus faculty. But we do have few adjunct faculty who are from prestigious institutes in and around NCR.

3) International Module is mandatory for everyone in IIML. Its expenses are part of the fee. So, last year the whole batch went to Canada for 4 weeks and we will be leaving to Canada in the last week of July too.

4) The average GMAT for the current batch is 700. Avg. Exp is 9 years. The batch has a diverse profiles from various industries like, Telecom, IT, Retail, Energy, Oil & Gas, BSNL, Army, Govt. Services, Merchant Navy etc..

Hope it helps..

Hello everyone,
I am also aspiring to pursue IPMX course at IIM-L.
Crab, thanks for starting this thread!
A little intro from my side
GMAT 710 (V34, Q51)
Work ex 6 yrs in US (Energy/ Utility industry) - Electrical Engineering
MS from US univ
BE Mumbai Univ - Univ rank
Above avg EC
Crab you indicated that most of the one yr management programs at IIIMs are similar...can you tell what is your experience till date on following points:
1) What is IIML strength?... I do understand all IIMs are great at all the managment areas - finance, general managment, sale & marketing etc.
but for example IIMA well known for General Management, IIMC well known for Finance, IIMB proximity to finance and GM..I am trying to understand the school's strength and allign my expectation with them...
2) It is indicated that IIM-L Noida campus, where IPMX is conducted, is fully supported by faculty from Lucknow campus. Are there enough faculty members for two campuses?
3) IPMX includes an international module..in last batch do you know how many of the students really used this opportunity to travel abroad?
4) Do you have some information about the current batch profile (work ex, industry).
thanks in advance!

Thanks thecrab!
All you said is taken well, however it is a fact that B-schools / engg colleges in India are measured by their placement success.
So would you be able to share some placement stats of previous batch, or would you join the (IIMs + ISB - IIMA) brigade's new found value in not sharing placement stats (which they all shared till last year)?

Another thing - with IIML charging much less than other equivalent institutes, are there some hidden costs? If not, does IIML compromise on any aspects of the program?

Finally, great work to have started this thread - thank you again. :cheerio:

:

Here are your answers:

1) IIML I think cannot be branded as being in good in this or that. As far as my experience the faculty in Finance, Strategy, Operations are very well known in their fields and are very well respected. Faculty in Marketing and General Management are also very good. So, I guess whatever area you want to go into you will find pretty good courses and faculty to teach them.

2) yes, it is fully supported by Lucknow campus faculty. But we do have few adjunct faculty who are from prestigious institutes in and around NCR.

3) International Module is mandatory for everyone in IIML. Its expenses are part of the fee. So, last year the whole batch went to Canada for 4 weeks and we will be leaving to Canada in the last week of July too.

4) The average GMAT for the current batch is 700. Avg. Exp is 9 years. The batch has a diverse profiles from various industries like, Telecom, IT, Retail, Energy, Oil & Gas, BSNL, Army, Govt. Services, Merchant Navy etc..

Hope it helps..

do u guys maintain any blog?
i googled and founud out IIML-IPMX. but it is not active since nov 2008

Placement Stats have been little tricky to collate as few students who didn't get placed by the end of the course have not reported their job stats to the institute. Once the institute has all the information, it will be published. Why would IIML shy away from something which was widespread. Its not that only IIML got affected by this economic downturn.

IIML has increased their fee to 14L, and I think it depends how you look at it. You think IIML is charging less than other institutes and I think that other institute's are over-charging. 😃 Believe me, there are no compromise on the education and facility wise. Infact our infra and facilities are 'arguably' much better than other IIM's as it is built brand new for us.

Our term exams start from 13th so, please excuse me if I don't reply to your queries promptly.

Thanks!

Thanks thecrab!
All you said is taken well, however it is a fact that B-schools / engg colleges in India are measured by their placement success.
So would you be able to share some placement stats of previous batch, or would you join the (IIMs + ISB - IIMA) brigade's new found value in not sharing placement stats (which they all shared till last year)?

Another thing - with IIML charging much less than other equivalent institutes, are there some hidden costs? If not, does IIML compromise on any aspects of the program?

Finally, great work to have started this thread - thank you again. :cheerio:

:

we are working on it. Infact we started our own blog, but we might just continue to maintain the one(which you mentioned) started by last batch. So, PR committee is working on this.

Placement has been THE parameter, no doubt. It's not been discussed that positively since recession hit us all, which brings me to THE fact - Recession has proved beyond doubt how good IIMs are...IIML is no exception.
We had most of the batch placed, with 5 odd still awaiting confirmation, when we joined. Even the job-baggers were allowed to use IIML facilities till convocation and use placecom services for even better jobs. As the pioneer batch dispersed, stats collation has been a head-ache (and no longer a priority with heavy action already midway for our projects / placements). If it comforts you any more: IPMX1 was very well placed relative to economic downturn; IPMX2 batch outlook is very positive and you should get to hear placements before you pay your second installments (and maybe before the placement week / month starts).
A word of caution- In the 25 years of IIML history, nobody other than placecom (including the Director) has come out with figures / statements. Which means that you'll / somebody will need to interact with us personally (not on a public forum) or visit campus to keep abreast of our scenario.

As for IIML charging less......are you kidding, 14L is a huge sum and I'll say fair only because other IIMs are charging more. No compromises - fabulous faculty, caring director, nice infrastructure and an independednt campus! Probably the only thing missing is a family acco (which some of us have availed in another in-campus hostel).

If you are above 15L bracket PLUS expect no less than 150% sal hike (or 10L bracket with 200% expectation) AND have no other reasons to join the course, I'd advise you to rethink. Because IIML is much more than placements - it's a holistic learning environment which you would feel proud to join for the whole year and not just the placement week / month.

All the best.
L....my first choice...

Thanks thecrab!

Finally, great work to have started this thread - thank you again.
:cheerio:

:
We started our own on our institute website, ignoring prev batch's existing blogs. Then PR comm and insti came up with some integration of ideas for variety of things and our blog site has been held up for that.
As a reinforcement, outside of PR comm initiatives, we have come out to support you on PG.

But for impending end-term (13 - 18 July), you should not find us lacking in content / enthu.

I know that this is going to create a debate but its better to face the truth. However hard we may try to hide the truth , it will find its way . The placement in IIML has been pathetic and the same may be confirmed by any of the guys in the first batch. Other IIMs were also hit but IIML reached the nadir. Many candidates returned to their previous organisations without facing even a single interview. One year of Ex MBA, minimum opportunity cost of 20 Lacs and they could not manage a single interview. Its time to face the truth rather than pretending that things are fine/ will be fine. The poor infrastructure , distance from main campus and most of all apathetic attitude of placement administration made things worse in the severe economic downturn. The program was launched without any careful planning and will struggle to pull itself out of the deep trench where it has landed.
I remember a story which will convey the message. Once a king found that all people in a particular village are cutting their nose on their own. He sent the minister to find out the truth. The minister found out that one thief was responsible for this. He had got his nose cut by local governor because he was caught stealing some goods. When he returned to the village , he told his neighbour that he has started seeing God since he has cut his nose. The neighbour cut his nose also but could not see God. The theif said that now the neighbour had cut his nose so he should tell others also that he is seeing God otherwise people will laugh at him. Thus gradually many people cut their nose.

Guys IIML one year is stuck. Wait for things to improve otherwise join the course in haste and repent at leisure.
Best wishes to all

I believe the piece reflects a very small criteria why people join the 1 year courses. Unlike the 2 years where many join due to peer pressure or to adhere to a socially accepted norm(Graduation-MBA-Job), the 1 year course makes one think due to high opportunity cost loss and also to break the status quo when you are well placed in life...well almost. That is to say, its an independent decision taken over a period....one does not rush into such things..

Apart from the tangible parts of the program(salary hike, better company etc), there are many intangibles like creating life long bonds with achievers, rubbing shoulders with such talent that you break your own barriers and capabilities and become more self aware...thats a big thing at least for me...coz I might spend a lifetime thinking I am the best and then have a big fall at an important time in my life....this experience on the other hand is sure to teach u humility....when you see there are tons of others who are at par or above your abilities.....which will work to your advantage later on.....Above all, it makes a better person out of you.

I am sure times have been bad, but to direct the venom towards IIML reflects very constricted dependent thinking....and the fact that people are joining such programs makes it abundantly clear that people look beyond the obvious, look long term instead of the short term...and make a ballworthy(excuse me my freshly minted term )decision...

Lastly, this is not directed at anybody and reflects my own independant thinking without any external influence.

Thanks,
-Sujai

Wow!! 😃 May I know how do you know all this? I respect your opinion, but the fact is that even in IIMA almost 50% guys went back to their previous organisations. So, does that mean IIMA PGPX is also crap. IIMC PGPEX didn't face all this becoz their last batch graduated in November when the effect of recession was not felt seriously. So, just singeling out IIML is wrong. As far as infrastructure is concerned.. I would suggest everyone to come and visit the campus. There has been tremendous improvement. The IIML management has been very serious about IPMX and has made major changes in their strategies to tackle challenges. There has been a major overhaul in different committees which are very crucial for placements. I cannot share the details but everything has been seemlessly integrated with the main campus in Lucknow. The current batch is making sure that mistakes of the past are not repeated and I can assure you guys that things will be much better this year as we have started to see signs of economic recovery.

Everyone who applies to one year MBA's is wise enough to do his/her own ROI calculations. I am not saying come and join IIML...it will be your call to decide if you get the final offer... but all I can say is that you will not regret if you join IIML as things will be totally different than last year.

I know that this is going to create a debate but its better to face the truth. However hard we may try to hide the truth , it will find its way . The placement in IIML has been pathetic and the same may be confirmed by any of the guys in the first batch. Other IIMs were also hit but IIML reached the nadir. Many candidates returned to their previous organisations without facing even a single interview. One year of Ex MBA, minimum opportunity cost of 20 Lacs and they could not manage a single interview. Its time to face the truth rather than pretending that things are fine/ will be fine. The poor infrastructure , distance from main campus and most of all apathetic attitude of placement administration made things worse in the severe economic downturn. The program was launched without any careful planning and will struggle to pull itself out of the deep trench where it has landed.
I remember a story which will convey the message. Once a king found that all people in a particular village are cutting their nose on their own. He sent the minister to find out the truth. The minister found out that one thief was responsible for this. He had got his nose cut by local governor because he was caught stealing some goods. When he returned to the village , he told his neighbour that he has started seeing God since he has cut his nose. The neighbour cut his nose also but could not see God. The theif said that now the neighbour had cut his nose so he should tell others also that he is seeing God otherwise people will laugh at him. Thus gradually many people cut their nose.

Guys IIML one year is stuck. Wait for things to improve otherwise join the course in haste and repent at leisure.
Best wishes to all

Thank you thecrab and 1choice! Undestandably both of you took it to the heart.
Chill - do I not have a right to make inquiries before I commit my time and money to this course!!
Good to hear that your expect your placement offers to start trickling in early - would give us some directions as to what is in store.

Best of luck