IIM Lucknow Final Placements 2008

With a graduating batch of 256 students to be placed this year, IIM Lucknow went into final placements with an air of optimism. This optimism crystallized into reality at the end of Slot Two, as there was wide-spread jubilation on campus with the …

With a graduating batch of 256 students to be placed this year, IIM Lucknow went into final placements with an air of optimism. This optimism crystallized into reality at the end of Slot Two, as there was wide-spread jubilation on campus with the hallowed mark of hundred percent placements being reached rather effortlessly.

Placements began in November, with companies awarding Pre-Placement Offers (PPO) to their summer interns. The number of PPOs was 90, up from last year's figure of 65. PPOs were given to students by investment banks like JP Morgan, London, Citigroup, HK, BNP Paribas, Edelweiss Capital, Kotak I-Bank etc...

Prominent recruiters in Higher End Placement Process (known as HEPP for relatively higher work experience students) were Standard Chartered Bank, TSMG, Aditya Birla Group, KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, Headstrong Consulting, Cap Gemini, Yes Bank, Infosys, Cognizant, IBM, Hinduja and Essar.

The trend depicted over the last few years continued with key additions to the list of recruiters in HEPP. Ernst & Young Dubai, Lehman Brothers, Barclays, Deloitte, Citibank, Unitech were some of the new recruiters visiting campus for lateral candidates. A prominent number of recruiters offered international locations to their hires.

This year's HEPP has witnessed Consulting firms make IIM Lucknow their strong-hold with consulting giants Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, TSMG, Cap Gemini, Headstrong Consulting, Hewitt Associates, Cognizant and IBM making over large number of offers.

With a large number of candidates looking towards financial institutions to pursue their careers, the Lateral Placements at IIM Lucknow did not disappoint with Standard Chartered, Lehman Brothers, Barclays, Yes Bank, among others, offering choicest job profiles. Candidates with prior work experience were hired for higher management profiles. The marked difference this year that position of a Vice-President is being offered by one of the leading tele-communications firm.

A total of 554 offers were made to 256 students, including 32 international offers. Final Placements this year saw a number of consulting firms like McKinsey & Co., AT Kearney, Ernst & Young, Accenture, Deloitte Consulting, Frost & Sullivan, Hewitt, KPMG, PriceWaterhouseCoopers , TAS and Bristlecone visiting the campus.

IIM Lucknow continued to attract the best organizations in the banking and financial sector and these companies offered a wide spectrum of roles for the students. The major recruiters in this sector included O3 Capital, Avendus Advisors, Lehman Brothers, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Calyon Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, ABN Amro, and ICICI Bank.

The stand-out achievement was the number of I-Banks that participated in the process this year, marking the rise of IIM Lucknow as a recruitment hub for the investment banks, brokerage houses and trading firms.All of them offered client facing roles. Enam Investment Bank, Kotak Securities, Kotak Investment Bank, ICICI Securities, Avendus Advisors, Edelweiss Capital, Angel Broking and O3 Capital were such firms that chose IIM Lucknow for their requirements. Financial Advisory profiles were also offered by consulting companies like E&Y; and PWC.

As has been a trend in the past, placements in the field of sales and marketing attracted the best organizations in the world. Corporates such as HUL, P&G;, Johnson & Johnson, Nestle, GlaxoSmithKline, Tata Group, ITC, Marico, Pepsi, Coke, Dabur and Cadbury recruited students in large numbers to spearhead their marketing initiatives. Also media companies like NDTV and Viacom18 recruited from campus.

The number of International offers stood at 32 with companies like Mckinsey, JP Morgan, Citigroup, P&G;, Frost & Sullivan, ICICI, E&Y; offering positions in locations like London, HK, Singapore, Middle East etc...

This year also saw the third Agri Business Management batch passing out 100% again with flying colours. Various organizations participating in the ABM placement process were ITC, Reliance Industries, Cadbury, ICICI Prudential, ICICI Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and Reliance ADAG among others.

Prof. Pankaj Kumar, Chairman, Placements, attributes this to excellent pedagogy, competencies and values that students acquire at IIM Lucknow. With the economy on a high these students are bound to make the best out of it and lead the way towards a progressive nation.

With this year's placements, IIM Lucknow has yet again proved its standing as one of the top B-schools in the country and has proven to be a preferred destination for organizations, which hand-pick not more than 2-3 B-schools to recruit from. Companies like Mckinsey and AT Kearney fall under this category. If the trend continues, IIM Lucknow students are bound to leave their foot-marks on the global landscape and make the nation proud.

Prof. Kumar reiterates the institute's decision of NOT disclosing salary figures and de-emphasizing it has paid off. It is being highly appreciated by the recruiters, students and society at large and eventually helped in matching the profiles among the students and recruiters which is the main focus of placements at IIML.

Batch after batch, a large number of students start their own ventures and, therefore, don't participate in the placement process. This year again, more than six students are embarking on endeavours in various sectors such as financial services, hospitality, etc. This re-emphasizes the institute's philosophy of creating more entrepreneurs and business leaders.

P.S:- IIML doesnt reveal the salary figures but it would be worth noting that the average salary is about 20% higher than last year's figures and highest among any institute this year till now. The highest domestic salary has created a record of sorts among the IIMs

congrats :)
Significant improvement in I-Banking placements by the look of it

congrats :)
Significant improvement in I-Banking placements by the look of it

Yup around 30 offers in Indian I-Banks alone...

Great show Lucknow :)
Awesome growth in IBs and Consulting :thumbsup:

@krishsuraj - where r u headed ?
And where is our very own Anand Vaidya :)

btw - about the salaries ...
take a stand .. reveal or not to reveal ... higher than others and maximum are subjective words ... and 20% higher than last time when we don't know what last years figures were is of little use 😃

If you have those figures, please let us know 😃

Great show Lucknow :)
Awesome growth in IBs and Consulting :thumbsup:

@krishsuraj - where r u headed ?
And where is our very own Anand Vaidya :)

btw - about the salaries ...
take a stand .. reveal or not to reveal ... higher than others and maximum are subjective words ... and 20% higher than last time when we don't know what last years figures were is of little use 😃

If you have those figures, please let us know :)

I'm heading to Enam Investment Bank in Mumbai
Anand is heading to an actuarial profile in ICICI prudential....
And regarding salary, by 'Higher than others' I mean higher than the currently disclosed ones. Nothing subjective about it. I am unfortunately bound by college rules :(
Last year it increased by around 20% ( which was mentioned in the report) and this year again by around 20%, Since we had disclosed salaries of last to last year, it can be calculated 😁
I'm heading to Enam Investment Bank in Mumbai
Anand is heading to an actuarial profile in ICICI prudential....
And regarding salary, by 'Higher than others' I mean higher than the currently disclosed ones. Nothing subjective about it. I am unfortunately bound by college rules :(
Last year it increased by around 20% ( which was mentioned in the report) and this year again by around 20%, Since we had disclosed salaries of last to last year, it can be calculated :D

The average Indian salary in 2006 was 8.74
source MBA Placement 2006 Placement 2007 Placement 2005 | MBA placement | Business Schools MBA Schools Business Colleges
So, an increase of 20% for 2007 and 2008 makes it around 12.6
Going by the placement figures of various b schools, I dont think that this fig. is the highest(Kindly correct me, if i am wrong)
The average Indian salary in 2006 was 8.74
source MBA Placement 2006 Placement 2007 Placement 2005 | MBA placement | Business Schools MBA Schools Business Colleges
So, an increase of 20% for 2007 and 2008 makes it around 12.6
Going by the placement figures of various b schools, I dont think that this fig. is the highest(Kindly correct me, if i am wrong)

Yup, made a mistake in reporting last year's hike. The info can be found here...
B-schools salaries hit the roof

thats my point man ..
If L students know the Avg salaries, I dont see the point of the non disclosure ..
It is fine if the college authorities do not even tell you what the average is, but if you know it and your juniors know it and you put 20 % rise over two years so every1 can calculate it, there is no point to non disclosure na ..

White and Black rakho yaar sab ... Gray is a color not often to be used 😃

Just a quick update from my side:

Thanks to a late waitlist movement, I will be joining Lehman Brothers, Mumbai in Equity Research division. :)

Same movement has resulted in Cricket team-full of IIML students (11 students) joining Procter & Gamble Singapore and Mumbai offices. 😁

Just a quick update from my side: Thanks to a late waitlist movement, I will be joining Lehman Brothers, Mumbai in Equity Research division. :)
Same movement has resulted in Cricket team-full of IIML students (11 students) joining Procter & Gamble Singapore and Mumbai offices. :D

@anandv - just curious - what do you mean by a "waitlist movement"? How does it operate?
babooshka Says
@anandv - just curious - what do you mean by a "waitlist movement"? How does it operate?

Even after the placements were over, P&G; thought that they should recruit one more person from IIML. So they gave offer to one more candidate.
Why did P&G; do so? I am not sure, but maybe at the end of hiring cycle across all IIMs, they might have felt that they are one person short. My guess though :D

So that guy left Lehman. And I was WL 1 at LB.

QED 😁
thats my point man ..
If L students know the Avg salaries, I dont see the point of the non disclosure ..
It is fine if the college authorities do not even tell you what the average is, but if you know it and your juniors know it and you put 20 % rise over two years so every1 can calculate it, there is no point to non disclosure na ..

White and Black rakho yaar sab ... Gray is a color not often to be used :)

The point is, IIML has taken a conscious decision not to woo students with salaries. People know that if they come here, they will not need to worry about salaries. We want people to focus on the type of companies that they want to join when they come to IIML.
We do not feel the need to indulge in this war of placement figures with other b-skools. Everyone knows how these figures are manipulated at the highest levels of authority. As it is, placements of laterals, foreign placements etc are all mixed while giving an 'average figure'. Also, figures for Mark guys will be different from that of Fin guys. Therefore, no point in giving out misleading figures and compromising on your reputation.
Hence, while joining IIML, a person should look at someone with a comparitive profile when he joined IIML and where that person ended up. Or you can look at your target companies and what kind of people they have recruited from here.
The point is, IIML has taken a conscious decision not to woo students with salaries. People know that if they come here, they will not need to worry about salaries. We want people to focus on the type of companies that they want to join when they come to IIML.
We do not feel the need to indulge in this war of placement figures with other b-skools. Everyone knows how these figures are manipulated at the highest levels of authority. As it is, placements of laterals, foreign placements etc are all mixed while giving an 'average figure'. Also, figures for Mark guys will be different from that of Fin guys. Therefore, no point in giving out misleading figures and compromising on your reputation.
Hence, while joining IIML, a person should look at someone with a comparitive profile when he joined IIML and where that person ended up. Or you can look at your target companies and what kind of people they have recruited from here.

and if any of u still wants a detailed post with facts and figures for the placements of IIM-L-2008 , just pm me
and if any of u still wants a detailed post with facts and figures for the placements of IIM-L-2008 , just pm me
We got this from one of the seniors of IIM-L(2006-0 , which establishes beyond doubt why L is much much better that I,K,FMS and XL .
This is already distributed among a lot of people on IIM-L thread of 2008 GD/PI queries

Take this is as a warning: No discussion about comparisons of B-schools or mud slinging on any of them.

Hi I would request the moderators to be a little bit open minded abt any discussion as along it does not offend anyone or any B school

their should be no Mudslinging agreed, but their should be allowed guidance from people who have authentic information abt various B schools

This will help the Puys here to take all pieces of authentic information before making a decision

The mods are correct. There is a difference. Authentic information can be distributed. But mentioning other B School names etc and "higher than I, K etc" in the forum complicates the whole issue and will finally end up in mud slinging and the naive "my school is best" fights. There are enough threads on this and enough fights on this.

@ Himanshu: Just mention that you have some info on L placements and you can share it with others through PM.

Hi I would request the moderators to be a little bit open minded abt any discussion as along it does not offend anyone or any B school

their should be no Mudslinging agreed, but their should be allowed guidance from people who have authentic information abt various B schools

This will help the Puys here to take all pieces of authentic information before making a decision

and how will u make sure that these people are giving u AUTHENTIC information?

See you have to let information flow.Let everybody express his views.The beat groups are where you provide freedom and not curtail it.

Regarding the B school comparison , Did'nt we do the same thing when PG did PG rankings

The approach is very simple and clear .if some body wants to chose an option X over Y
and he gets says 15 opinions for and 5 opionions against.,it makes his decision
simple

Regarding the authencity of the information ,its to the person to then confirm the facts
mentioned in this thread.

Moreover regarding the discpline let people openly say that today this X school is better
than Y due to placements ,faculty etc etc

The only think that needs to be taken care that it does not become a cat fight between two perons,which generally results in problems

this is not d proper place to discuss bout all these.......

infact comparison between b schools isnt allowed anywhere in this forum....a rule of pg is a rule n we r forced to listen to it..........

thanks..........