IIM L GD/PI queries - splash em here

So with the first hurdle out of the way it is time to gear up for the next battle. congratulations to all the call getters and an invitation to splash all ypur queries regarding IIM L GD/PI or otherise too here :smiley: and all of us here at L w…

So with the first hurdle out of the way it is time to gear up for the next battle. congratulations to all the call getters and an invitation to splash all ypur queries regarding IIM L GD/PI or otherise too here 😃 and all of us here at L will make best efforts to satiate your appetite.

adios

rohit

i was wondering if somebody could post the exact number of total calls made out by iiml this time around
this would really help a lot
cheers

i was wondering if somebody could post the exact number of total calls made out by iiml this time around
cheers

Same question ... What could be the approx Student to seat ratio (this year & also last year).

I observed that many PGites have 'L' in their call list, so am wondering if this ratio is high this year .. please clear this doubt.
cheers

Well these things are actually not known even to us so its more or less speculation. considering that thr are 260 seats at L so 1:4 ratio for givin calls seems quite ok. That'll make it somewhere just more than 1000 calls. so that maybe the mathematics the profs do over here . in nay case u can always take no. of gd/pi calls to be around 1100-1200.

BTW just to help you ppl i'll put few things i remeber about my L GD/PI...u can get loads of more gyaan from the L GD/PI thread of last year...

GD was on "shud capital puishment be banned in India?". 9-10 studs, eachone had to write one page on same before the GD and then GD for 15 mins or so ( if i can recall correctly). MY interview was based on currics...in fact I almost felt that I am appearing for my JOB interview 😃 ..then general awareness followed.....of course L as usual stressed on things like ethics and CSR...so be ready for that...

adios

rohit

PS: keep splashing your queries

hey rohit i got only one 1 L call

my acads
x 88%
xii 95%
engg 69%

extra
GS of college
lead guitarist
Martial arts black belt...with national level competitions

so does getting one call mean that you........you even have lesser chance of getting through..because your percentile low......?

P.S. do you know sudeep mehrotra neha grover ..in your batch...they are from my city....

So how long does the interview usually take?

And I have been working for 2-3 months so how much will I be asked about my work?

so does getting one call mean that you........you even have lesser chance of getting through..because your percentile low......?

Percentile does play some role in selection that is my opinion. But how much I dunno and again its purely my personal opinion. U seem to have a good profile, so u do have as good a chance as anyone else out there.
I know it is easier to say that forget that one call and that u need only one call to convert et al.... but all I'll say is CAT is history now. ur percentiles will come in a day or 2...slog like hell...work hard for the next 2 months u've before GD/PI...leverage ur strengths...eliminate (or atleast reduce) ur weaknesses.....just believe that u deserve to be at IIM and rest all will automatically follow.....

btw yes stakes somewat increase wen u've 1 call but then one of my frnds here had some 98 odd %ile with only L n K. he cracked both of them and today is among best students here at L....

neha grover is a senior..sudeep i dunno...

so dun worry abt one call....just work hard..real hard and leave the rest to GOD :)

adios

rohit
PS: ppl for L GD/Pi do brush up ur acads....most ppl do get quizzed on acads so dun neglect em :)...i know it is painful 😁 but need to do that 😃

got 16.66% 1/6 calls from IIMs .. only L gave me a call.i guess only L has the capacity to spot a genius

Jokes apart !! .. I know I got thru L just bcoz i got 22 in DI/LR .and didn't get others bcoz of VA(13) Total -50 i want to convert it desperately ... 100% conversion >afterall at the end of the day i can study at only one place

MY backgrnd
X-91% - rank holder
X11 - 80 % -
IIT Kgp - 80 % with a minor degree
(dept rank -2 )

extra curric--- Avg

How is IIM L GD/PI different from other IIMs ? WHat should be my addition to the general preparation process .

Just for my info :: In the current yr how many foreign placements took place ?

thanks rohit.......
your comment on my profile was a real confidence booster...
by the way i am working in SIEMENS ...6 months now.(will it count)
also won district level competitions every year held in college....

i hope to get through L....
any gyan.....how to start with it

sidharth

How important is you CAT percentile here?

Hi,

I am a fresher with ICT (Information and Communication Technology) background.

I have solid acads and am expecting a high CAT score (~65).
But I have hardly anything in the name of extra currics. I am not into sports or music and have reading as my only hobby.
Will this kind of too much acads-focussed profile hurt me?

Also, I like to write and regularly dabble with it. I have also been an editor of the college magazine. So if I mention "writing" as a hobby, what kind of questions can I expect?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Vivek

got 16.66% 1/6 calls from IIMs .. only L gave me a call.i guess only L has the capacity to spot a genius

Jokes apart !! .. I know I got thru L just bcoz i got 22 in DI/LR .and didn't get others bcoz of VA(13) Total -50 i want to convert it desperately ... 100% conversion >afterall at the end of the day i can study at only one place

MY backgrnd
X-91% - rank holder
X11 - 80 % -
IIT Kgp - 80 % with a minor degree
(dept rank -2 )

extra curric--- Avg

How is IIM L GD/PI different from other IIMs ? WHat should be my addition to the general preparation process .

Just for my info :: In the current yr how many foreign placements took place ?

Hey Shryabha,

The situation looks so familiar!
me too got a similar profile.
total - 50
VA -14
qa - 20

X / XII 83/88
B-Tech 8.34 ( IIT Guwahati)

Calls- IIM L
But no complaints , can join only one IIM after all!

@shreyabha
yeah only L has the capacity to judge a true diamond ;)
L's GD/PI is not much different from other GD/PIs....normal current affair topics...some topics may be linked to ethics (as L is always known to stress on ethics part even during interviews)...so i dont think if some extra preparation is needed. However it depends on ur luck then, the prof who took my PI is a ece engioneer so grilled me on acads like hell( no pun intended :)) . other group had a math prof so they were asked some theorems and all...only basic stuff though... so as far as something different is concerned...dunno...mine was a more or less routine (if I can use the word) PI. I'll get other ppl from L to add to this thread once we ppl get back to campus..right now everyone is enjoying the break :)

@im_sid...myself a fresher so difficult to tell if u'll be quizzed on work ex and in what nature....will get some work ex junta to answer that pretty soon. Apart from that every little thing in ypur profile matters but it'll matter only till the extent u are able to leverarge it. Like last year someone said he loves to play AOE and leveraged it well to show how he thinks logically and strategises and blah blah 😃 so its totally upto u how u are able to present ur achievements.

@chintamani....No idea boss.....only the profs know this :)

@keviv...as I said earlier, what is important is how u leverage ur achievements and profile points. if u are good at acads , try to take the PI in that direction. But be sure to know about PRACTICAL applications of ur field as profs will be more interested in that, brush up ur acads thoroughly, even the first sem coz if u say acads is ur strong area u never know which subject might interest the prof. afa not having extra currics is concerened....neva mind...I myslef had very lil extra curric ;)
Writing and reading...hmmm.... u need to be specific...what do u read, why u read that, what value addition from that, fav author, fav genre, fav book, how do u apply that to practical situations if that is possible, what kind of things u write, why u write in the first place, ur roles and responsibilities as the ed, managerial prowess gained from the Ed role, which author has most affected ur writing style, different writing styles (or something similar) that exist in the literary arena...These are some pointers....Just be VERY well prepared on reading and writing part, coz most profs here are themselves avid readers so they know that field pretty well.

In the end just one bit of advice, from my experience last year I learnt that more important than having an achievement, is the way u PRESENT that achievement. At times most trivial of things if presented well can earn u instant recognition by panel and at times best of achievements might be wasted if not presented well.

adios

rohit

thanx for taking the initiative guys :)

I got BLACKI.. :smile: have some general queries here..

a)I am a 2004 passout and have 14 months of workex as of now. What type of questions do they ask As far as the work ex is concerned ?
b)Do they stress on acads ?
c)I heard from some guys they stress on hobbies, my hobbies are slightly different (Reiki,meditation) what types of questions can they ask here?
d)Though I have strong acads.. I don seem to remember anything now.. what all should I be revising.. I mean we have so many subjects in our engg.. what are the subjects they might quiz me on considering the fact that I'm a B.E in Information Technology.
e)I am also a Mensa Scholar, will they give me puzzles to solve ?

cheers,

Hi guys/gals,
First of all, my hearty congratulations to all of you for getting calls from IIM Lucknow. Wishing a very Happy and Prosperous New Year too.

Now that you have successfully reached the second stage it should be very satisfying for u all after a loooong ( longer than 2004) wait for the results to be out.

But believe me r not, you ppl had just half the fun. In the next few months, there will be lots n lots of fun in store for u all. So, gear up for the rollicking rounds of gd/pi's waiting for u all.

Honestly speaking , the next few months will be quite tiresome too. You need to read a lot and be updated with the current affairs atleast. Apart from that, you need revise your acads (for freshers especially) and make better use of your soft skills.

Speaking about my experience last time around, we had a gd topic of "mnc's effect on the country's economy" (something on those lines) for 8 members. My interview touched every point of my life i.e "Started with genral stuff like tell me abt urself and then into cricket (my hobby) next went into grilling on acads and then into some mathematics basics like differentiation, partial differentiation etc and ended with any questions".The interview went on for arnd 15-20mins.

So, my opinion on the whole experience was be prepared for them to ask anything that interests them at that moment.

Ok then ,thats it from me for now. Rest of it after reaching IIM...Shoot your queries and we will be ready to answer them for you.
All the best for all of you for the next stage of the process.

Rocky :)

IIM Lucknow
Batch of 2007

Hi guys,

Thought I'll take a bit of the load off Rohit's shoulders.

(a) No clue mate. I'm a fresher myself.

(b) You bet! My interview consisted of acads, acads & more acads. The prof asked questions from my first sem to the sixth - all were ques like "what's a feedback amp?" and other such "What's this? What's that?" type questions - all directly from my marksheet.

(c) It is better to mention one hobby and know it in-depth. So guys, read up stuff in relation to your hobby. Dig up info. Keep yourself updated on the current events related to the hobby. The idea here is to make them feel that you are passionate about your interests and that you take teh effort to know more. I wasn't asked anything on my hobbies/extra currics (I had quite a few to tell).

(d) Welcome to IIM GD/PI prep mate! This is probably the case with a vast majority (engg in particular, no offense intended, I'm an engg too). No issues. You have plenty of time to prep. Make sure you have enough knowledge about the major topics so that you can speak for 5 mins or so.

(e) Dunno. I have a feeling they might not. (Disclaimers apply).

A few general thoughts :

1) From my experience, I can say that your 'gut' feeling about how the interview is going to be invariably wrong. I had a super interview at IIMC and I walked out of the interview room feeling absolutely sure that I was headed for Kolkata. I had a 10-mim interview at L, fully on my acads & the profs seemed to be the most disinterested lot on earth. So you never know how your interview is going. Just hang in there, be confident & give it your best.

2) Stick to your strengths. Don't venture guesses on issues you are not aware of. If you don't know, simply say so. With enough mock interviews (the number varies but it was 3 for me) you will be in a position to control your interview to an extent (though this wasnt teh case in my L interview).

3) Knowledge of current affairs is very important. Read up ET, BW & otehrs. I'm sure many would find it esoteric but with a bit of effort, they'll make sense. (Trust me on that guys, ET looked like Greek & Latin to me initially but in a few weeks it was 'readable').

4) These few months are going to be the one of the most important periods in your life. Prepare well and be confident in whatever you say. Work on your GD skills esp since most of us would have had little/no experience prior to this.

All the very best. Will be more than happy to addressyour queries.
Evanescence

thanx for taking the initiative guys :)

I got BLACKI.. :smile: have some general queries here..

a)I am a 2004 passout and have 14 months of workex as of now. What type of questions do they ask As far as the work ex is concerned ?
b)Do they stress on acads ?
c)I heard from some guys they stress on hobbies, my hobbies are slightly different (Reiki,meditation) what types of questions can they ask here?
d)Though I have strong acads.. I don seem to remember anything now.. what all should I be revising.. I mean we have so many subjects in our engg.. what are the subjects they might quiz me on considering the fact that I'm a B.E in Information Technology.
e)I am also a Mensa Scholar, will they give me puzzles to solve ?

cheers,

*just out of curiosity

There seems to be this typical IIML question :" What other calls did you get ".

What does it signify ?

Do they give preference to multiple call getters or to "the long rangers :whatthat: " (myself being one)?

The prof's reply to the candidate's answer also seems to indicate something.

Hi ppl,
I want to know how good is Time,Pune for GD/PI prep. I wrote my CAT from Bangalore but now im working in Pune. I a time student... I hvae got L,K and I calls
I dont mind going to Bombay over weekends for GD/PI classes if Pune is not good.
i am new to Pune and I have no idea abt Pune.
Pune junta pls help.
regards
Suraj

v_carib Says
i was wondering if somebody could post the exact number of total calls made out by iiml this time around this would really help a lot cheers

According to todays TOI/ET, the total number of calls given by IIM Lucknow is 1000.This includes PGP and ABM.Since there are 240 seats for PGP and 60 for ABM, if we assume that the call ratio is the same for both, then around 800 calls have been given for PGP. I am one of those 800 people luck(now)y people by the way.