IIM Kozhikode call getters - Queries?

Hi Guys…congrats to everyone whos got a call! For people who missed out, do take it in your stride and dont give up. Feel free to post any queries abt IIM-K here…will be glad to answer them. We would be coming up with a structured mentor…

Hi Guys...congrats to everyone whos got a call! For people who missed out, do take it in your stride and dont give up.

Feel free to post any queries abt IIM-K here....will be glad to answer them. We would be coming up with a structured mentoring scheme for the call getters soon where you guys can get in touch with IIMK students anytime you have any queries.

All the best for the GD/PI preps...

cheers
raul

(PS: Mods, started a new thread to help us track the queries better!)

Hi guys!

Congratulations on getting a GD/PI call from God's Own Campus! :D

We'd be happy to answer any of your queries about IIMK, the course, the exchange programmes, the placements, other general stuff, etc.

Also, the current first year students are on holiday and are in various cities across the country.
We can get some first years students or some alumni to speak to you or meet you and answer any queries you have with regard to K.

Mail me at [email protected] if you would like to meet/speak to any IIMK alum/student in your city.

Cheers,
Ron

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the initative taken in responding to queries.

I am new to the forum and will definitely be posting a lot of queries in due course of time( I have just got a single IIM call i.e IIMK ). So I gotta make sure I convert it.

I understand that you guys are busy with your exams so all the best for the same.

STJ

Hi guys,
This is the list of pgites who have got a call from IIM K so far.

shashi, amparanoid, stingrae, whocarez, has2bme, fragileninja, praps4u(c), hanoz, floydian_25, idwivedi, rohit_anand, DrStrangelove, This_is_neo, vbadhan, willitbenow, sganediwalla(c), ayan, sssss, sandyee4u, madiyer and yours truly (c). 21 in all and (c) indicates GD-PI in chennai.

Raul, PG and others have to help us. Raul.. thanks for taking up the initiative. Some of us have got only this single call (me for sure) and to convert it requires an extra bit of effort. My first list of queries to you guys in IIM K.

1. I had got a %ile of 97.54 with VA pulling me down. I suppose my workex of 27 months helped me get the call. What is the balance between the people with work ex and freshers in IIM K? Tilted in favor of work ex?
2. This is my first shot, so do excuse me asking this. Is there any "Usually followed" dress code to be adhered to? Will the interview panel have any data about us prior to us handing over the Interview-Data-Form? Do %iles matter at this stage or is it a level playing field?

Guys, I am aware that you are having your exams currently. No need for a quick reply, but certainly do reply.

Looking forward to the promised interaction,

Srini

Hey Srini/Thomas..

congrats on the call..yes, IIMK does put a premium on workex so you can be sure that there are quite a few like you. Last year, quite a few people with only a K call made it in, so prepare well and give it your best shot. IIMK is definitely a place worth coming to...I gave up a nice high-paying-IT-job to come here and its been worth it all the while.

The batch profiles vary from year to year...our seniors are 60:40 in favor of freshers while our batch is exactly the opposite! For the incoming batch, we expect the intake to be 180 so it would mostly be a balanced batch profile.

For the GD/interview, you can wear formals with a tie (dont expect the interview panel to be dressed smartly though!!). I dont think the interview panel would have any sort of information on you apart from the 3-4 page form you submit. For people with workex, some part of the interview would definitely focus on your work while for freshers it would focus on acads, fundas etc.
Percentiles do matter..but only to a limited extent. If you crack your GD and interview, then you can be sure that you are in despite a lower percentile.

HTH..all the best for your GD/interviews..
cheers
raul

Hi Guys,

I am also amongst the lucky or rather unlucky(to have missed better %les by whisker ) . Got only call i.e K with only 97.8%le I am still doubtfull whether IIMK is worth joing or we shld sit for one more year. I have Exp of close to 3 yrs now... I heard its always look for a better city also. Say if you have a choice between SPJain , IITB SOM and IIMK what shld you go for.With my exp and Backgrnd(IIT)shld I wait for one more year and aim for A,B or C. : : K Junta please advise without any Bias.

hi!
Congratulations to all call getters!!Hope to c most of the PG junta at K.
akschandr , the final decision is gonna be yours but trust me an IIM tag means much more than getting to be in a better city.
All the best for your GD/PI.

Malini

Hi guys,
This is the list of pgites who have got a call from IIM K so far.

shashi, amparanoid, stingrae, whocarez, has2bme, fragileninja, praps4u(c), hanoz, floydian_25, idwivedi, rohit_anand, DrStrangelove, This_is_neo, vbadhan, willitbenow, sganediwalla(c), ayan, sssss, sandyee4u, madiyer and yours truly (c). 21 in all and (c) indicates GD-PI in chennai.

Raul, PG and others have to help us. Raul.. thanks for taking up the initiative. Some of us have got only this single call (me for sure) and to convert it requires an extra bit of effort. My first list of queries to you guys in IIM K.

1. I had got a %ile of 97.54 with VA pulling me down. I suppose my workex of 27 months helped me get the call. What is the balance between the people with work ex and freshers in IIM K? Tilted in favor of work ex?
2. This is my first shot, so do excuse me asking this. Is there any "Usually followed" dress code to be adhered to? Will the interview panel have any data about us prior to us handing over the Interview-Data-Form? Do %iles matter at this stage or is it a level playing field?

Guys, I am aware that you are having your exams currently. No need for a quick reply, but certainly do reply.

Looking forward to the promised interaction,

Srini

Me too at Chennai 9:00 am on Feburary 24th.

I have a percentile of 98 odd. Have work experience of about 25 months in the IT industry.

Here is one for the kind guys willing to answer stupid questions :)

What exactly should I be preparing for the interview? I am an electrical and Electronics engineer. Should I study Electrical subjects or should I build up on experience?

Sorry for this one...
Just read on some thread that IIMB has sent out 960 calls. Any idea of the number of calls IIMK has sent out??

sorry in the beginning coz my question might offend u guys frm K.
i got 99.67%ile n due 2 my 89.09%ile in DI. i cud manage calls only frm I n K. i obviously expected much more frm such a %ile considering ppl with lower overall n just 91%ile in DI (that is, 0.66 mark more than mine) got calls frm as many as 4 inst.
anyways, this post is not 2 crib about that. the only reason i mentioned it is that since i missed out on 4 calls coz of just .66 mark, should i try 4 CAT next yr n strive 4 A or B??? coz i know that i will b able 2 achieve that considering this time, i took CAT with my hectic academic schedule.
OR is IIMK (or IIMI for that matter) as good as or not much lower than IIMA n IIMB???? coz students at my college keep pitying me 4 getting calls frm IIMI n IIMk as if i have done some crime. one even asked me 2 find a well n jump in it.
wat i feel is that though I n k r new but still they r IIMs. i want u ppl 2 elaborate upon the 2 questions i have posed.

PS:dont feel offended by any of the statements made here coz i m expressing just wat the general perception is. i mean v always say its ABCLIK n they r gud in that order.

Hi there,

Congrats 2 all the call getters! And 4 guys who didn't make it this time around, there r lots of us here and at other IIMs who've made it in the 2nd or even 3d attempt. I'm one of them myself :wink:

belldecat: "i missed out on 4 calls coz of just .66 mark, should i try 4 CAT next yr n strive 4 A or B???" Check out my experiences on the forum. Just because u've cracked CAT once doesn't mean u can do it every year. And with each passing year ur career options get narrowed down due to ur workex. I'd say K is worth joining 4 sure. Whether u'll make it 2 A/B/C next year? Nobody can predict that - not even u! I thought I was a shooin 4 all 6 calls the 2nd time i prepared bcoz i'd managed 5 calls in my 1st shot with 2 weeks of prep I ended up with just MDI 😞 3d time i got A, C, L and K. Finally ended up here. If you are hell bent on Goldman Sachs, then don't bother coming here But unless u r an IITian/CA i don't think u hv a shot at IB anywhere else either.

idwivedi: No clue man - but our guess is 1000+ And ur kinda profile i perfect 4 K 😁 Brush up on concepts like the Math that applies 2 ur subject. I was asked Fourier series and Laplace transforms and how they are used in electronics.

askchandr: With 3 years of workex, i'd say it is doubtful if you can switch industries. If it is IT, then head over to K without any hesitation. We have fab IT placements - as good as anybody else or better. And we charge the lowest fees. btw that is sthng not 2 sneezed at. Each lakh of loan needs 1,700 Rs EMI. So if an SP costs u 5 Lakhs, then that is at least 4K extra per month. And what do u gain? Nothing ! What do u lose? The IIM tag

srini: Yeah - ur 27 months of workex will def help u. as far as we know, K is likely to stick to a 60% wrkex 40% freshers ratio.
For the intw, as Raul said, wear a dark pair of formal trousers, light color ful-sleeved shirt (something reasonably sober -not bright yellow, please ), black/brown formal shoes, and a fairly good tie. And do practise wearing a tie and formal clothes so thatyou aren't very stiff and uncomfortable during the intw and gd 😃

Thomas: Nope - we don't hv exams (i'm in term 6) and the Jr batch hv finished their exams and r on their hols.

Best of luck everybody! And keep shooting off any doubts u may have - need not be about K - even intw/gd gyan will be dispensed :wink:

ravi

Hi everyone,
First of all, a big congrats to all the call getters
Hey, if anyone in and around Varanasi wants to get some help/info for the GD/PIs, just mail me ([email protected]). I'm here till the 1st. We can surely chalk out some plans.
Prashant

hey i ama doctor and i am in too. can i have some relevant tips!

are their any other docs at k?
:

Hi Guys,

I heard that IIMK first year guys are presently at different places across the country. Is there anyone from Baroda?? Or for that matter Ahmedabad/Gujarat. In that case I would love to interact with them as I am from Baroda.

And sorry abt the exam gaffe!

STJ

hi guys.. me too in.. n my centre is chennai 27th feb 11:30am.. am frm EEE background with 7 months in TCS nw.. what kinda prep will i need reg my work ex and degree.. i was nt a stud at my engineering.. have a decent 8.52 from P.S.G tech (ppl frm south might knw my college) K juntha pour in ur gyan.. esp the ones with my kinda profile.. sure there ll be quite a few of u..

u guys said the 1st yrs r on hols.. ne1 in mumbai right nw..

Hi dude,

Yeah, you can get in touch with some of the first years in Mumbai - Raul ([email protected]) and Gagandeep ([email protected]).
Incidentally they have similar backgrounds to yours - Gagan was with TCS while Raul was with Cognizant before joining K.

You can also get in touch with some of our alumni at TCS in Mumbai - one of whom is Vipin Mahajan - [email protected]

And of course, you can post queries here on the forum too if you like, so that other applicants with similar questions will get their queries cleared.

Cheers,
Ronald

This_is_neo Says
u guys said the 1st yrs r on hols.. ne1 in mumbai right nw..

Hey Guys...good to see the questions flowing in. I'm currently in mumbai along with some other students and if anyone would like to to meet up, do PM me.

akschandr: Ravi has already replied to your query, but here are my 2 cents. Looks like you have some amount of IT work ex.. do remember that at SPJain you would get Information Systems. If you are interested in Marketing or Finance, then you definitely would not get the freedom to pick your courses like you do at IIM K. I was in a similar position last year and one of the reasons why I chose IIM-K was because I can take all the Finance-Marketing courses that I like here and not have to sit for DBMS/ERP type courses which I already have an idea about. Overall, the course is much more well rounded and flexible than any other non-IIM.

As for comparisions with any other non-IIM, we wouldnt like to indulge in that at all as we are playing for a different league...an amazing 100 acre campus with the best of facilities, gr8 faculty..many from abroad and other IIMs, a successful international exchange program, amazing quality of students ...we are a rapidly improving IIM that is getting better n better with each year....remember, a few years back IIML was in the same position......its only a matter of time before we catch up.

cheers
raul

Hey Guys/Gals

Congratualtions for cracking CAT. I guess most of the queries till now are already answered by Ravi and Raul.
Thomas and other guys residing in and around ahmedabad, for any discussion and any more information u want about IIM K , I would be in ahmedabad on 25th and in Anand(V V Nagar) on 26th. You guys can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] and may be we can fix up time and place where u guys wanna meet. Please let me know ur contact no. in email so that I can contact you. I would also be in mumbai from 30th Dec to 1st january, so if anyone in Mumbai wants to meet just send me an E-mail.
For any other queries too about GD and PI and IIM K please feel free to contact any of us.

All the best for your interviews.

Regards

Ravi
Batch of 2006.