IIM Indore GD/PI Experiences

tomorrow i go in for my I stuff. i think we in blr are the first batch to head in for our Gd/PI. the form is really detailed and wants to know all sorts of behaviourial stuff and life experiences! strange. gotta go and fill in my form now. …

tomorrow i go in for my I stuff. i think we in blr are the first batch to head in for our Gd/PI. the form is really detailed and wants to know all sorts of behaviourial stuff and life experiences!

strange. gotta go and fill in my form now.

wish me all the best!
and ATB to everyone else

hey..

ATB to u and do share ur GD/pi experiences ASAP..
mine scheduled for iimi 11mar..delhi.

ANEEK

tomorrow i go in for my I stuff. i think we in blr are the first batch to head in for our Gd/PI. the form is really detailed and wants to know all sorts of behaviourial stuff and life experiences!

strange. gotta go and fill in my form now.

wish me all the best!
and ATB to everyone else

All the best folks. Hope to see some of you in the hillstation.

Hi
I guess I am the first one to post my I experience.Am disappointed with my performance,but there was not much i cd do better. :(
Was at Blr on the 19th.
Here goes:
9: 45 was sposed to be the start,but it started soem 45 mins late.

GD:
Case study.
Ceo chooses 3 member committee for recruitemnt of admn staff.Is hoping sister companys cfo's son gets selected.Cfos son smiles thru the interview and just replies in monosyllables.committee rejects him.Ceo asks em to reconsider and get bck to him.
They dont get back to him.New committee is formed and cfos son is selected.
Wht shd the chief of teh old committee do now ?

My contribution:
Started off,gave quite a few suggestions.Added on to everyones points.Decent performance.except tht there was a 5 sec silence in our group.Which doesnt speak too well of the Gd :(.
My summary stank,,,cdnt even reach half way thru.(written summary)

Interview:
3 ppl panel.
One slightly older gentleman,he was the smartest i felt.One darkish man with moustaches,he seemed like the techie,,,and on short dark man who hardly spoke.

int : Pls introduce yourself
me : did in detail

int : wht is posions distr ?
me : dont know sir,never studied it(clearly mentioned in form I HAVE NEVER STUDIED STATS)

int : wht is periodic funcn,math equation
me : explained wht it was,didnt know eqn.
Have example of sinx

int : draw sinx with period pie.
me : drew

int: period= 2 pie
me : drew

int : cosx?
me: drew?

int : what is VLSI ?
me: told in detail.

int : wht distinguishes it frm LSI
me: told ,didnt know exxact no. of components on chip so said in excess of 10,000

interviewr opened my mrksheets.picked out a subject called manufactruing processes frm II yr.I am frm, elect and telecom bckgrnd.i had 31 and passed this subject with grace marks,,,
int : askd abt diff processes ?
me: I KNEW NOTHING :(,,,,totally blank on teh subject,,,,its been 6 bl**dy yrs tht i stiudied this.and i didnt know it tehn also.

int : how are mechanical processes used in electronics
me: started abt diff digital families and was abt to talk abt power dissipation when,,,

int : enough enough,thts all iwanted to kow
me: yes sir

int : wht was your fave subject
me: digital electronics

int: abt to ask something but said i think my colleague has asked u enuff.Tell me abt your job,and how u do it.
me: explained it to him in detail

int : wht do u like besides all tht we asked u ,,,like hobbies
me: writing drawing travelling,thnaks to dad being in the army

int: so where all have u travelled
me: told

int : tell me there is something connecting france and england,wht is it ?
me: sir its a water body called the english cahnnel

int: something goes frm under it ?
me: sir teh euro rail goes frm under it !

int: does it stop anywhere between paris and london
me: sir it does stop in brussels i.e beligium,i am not aware of any other places

int: so u liek watching movies eh
me: sir

int: latest movie ?
me: sir swades in a hall and philadellphia on tv

int : have u seen the LAst emperor ?
me : nope

int: Oscars ,,wht r they ?
me: spoke abt them,how they are determined,points of contention,,,other guilds.Recently concluded BAFTA.

int: wht important category do they not cover
me: dont know abt technical categories cos i only concentrate on the popuilar ones,,,there shdve been a best actor in neagtive role,,,cos seldon teh best actor in negativbe role gts teh oscar,,,an its doninated by the best "heroes"
I dont know if best screen play and editring categories r there ? but i wdnt know tht cos i dont have ny idea of technical awards

int: so are there any women cms in india,how many and whom?
me: named ethem frm diff states,4 in number

int: wht parties respectively
me: told them

int: wht is a cantonemnt,origin of teh word?
me: told them,british origin.

int : so wd u liek to ask us something vani ?
me: abt exxhnage progarm,,lotts of detail

int: so how many calls,(i'm already leavin here)
me: LACKI

int: laughs,,oh u didnt get blr cos ure sis is in blr,,,
me: sir,,LAGUH

thats it
so tell me ?????

hi,
I was really waiting for u r experience to get on the net. I cehcked the net 5 times from morning. Though i have exams starting from 2moro, thanx buddy for u r prompt post. I think u r int was cool, and u ll get advantage of being in the first batch. i think u ll convert.

Hrishi

I don't really understand why u r feeling down. U r interview has went decently, according to me. From ur descriptions, I couldnt really guess who handlded the ivs.

Anyway, junta, pls don't feel sad or bad abt saying no. Somone toldme "NO" to 20% of the questions is quite common in IIM iv.s

ATB!

Hey friends,

Plz do mention ur percentile and acad background while posting ur int experiences....all the best!

hi there. was at bangalore at 9.15 on thw 20th. three people - one bored, rheumy sardar, one dark upright moustached fellow, and one huge, pale funny-looking chap. the last guy did all the roll-calling, explaining etc.

My background: MBBS, Percentile 99.27, Xth 91, XIIth 91, College: 64

CASE: Shubha joins a company after her PGP. she has to leave the confort of her home and ome and live alone in the city, hoping to learn adn become self-confident at the same time. the company has a democratic work culture. when her immediate boss ashok goes on leave, he allocates her a new supervisor called suresh. the latter does not give her much work but later complains to ashok that she is incompetent. ashok notices that suresh is using her to do her personal work and shubha seems to be happy doing these petty tasks. she evens refuses to do some work allocated to her by ashok. ashok complaines to the CEO. shubha refuses to do the CEO's bidding as well as she thinks she must only please her immediate supervisor. she is asked to resign, failing which she wil be terminated. what should shubha do?

was a peaceful GD with four people from my Time group, and one girl...(the pretty girl went to some other group :()

PI:
Sardarji (S), Middle guy (M), and Biggie (B)

S: why do you want to do an MBA?
Me: blah blah blah

S: why not health mgmt or hospital mgmt.
Me: explained

S: gave up after 2-3 min with 'well the decision is yours'

S; tell me about community medicine, public health, forensic medicine..

S: (pseudo med. Q)..thyroid hormones, stem cell research, colour blindness, carcinoma, edema etc.

Me: answered with aplomb

shifts to M

M: talks about photography, what camera i use, film and film speeds

Me: know and tell all

shifts to B

B gives me an integration and differentiation problem
I do the first but am not sure so i say so, although he can see my answer. tell him that i cant do the second one (have marked as such in the form) - although my math scores from 10th and 12th are 99 and 96 resp. ...dont knwo if thats good or bad...

asks me about the trajectory of a thrown ball but i cant give him the equation of a parabola

B: health min. of india
Me: dont know (who knows ramodoss?)

M: health min. of karnataka
Me: dont know (still dont know)

B: how many calls?
tell him

S: are you from bangalore?
Me: no sir, i am from kashmir, now settled here

S: that explains your name

they indicate that the IV is over so i thank them and leave

dont know wht to think

TIP: irrespective of work-ex., they are concentrating on acads, acads and acads so be prepped.

ATB

My background: IIT-Kgp 2002 Mech work ex: 2.5 yrs software
My weakness: no clue abt thermo or fluid mech
Case Study was Ok .. started off well.. spoke 3-4 time
I was 7th for interview. three fellow A B and C
As soon as I entered the room somebody called out (I am still not seated)
A: so Mr Kumar how may types of Boiler are there?
Me: I am glad he didn't ask me what is a boiler. Smiles and tell him I have no clue and I am bad at thermo but good at prob stats OR etc.
All three panelist smile and the fellow tell me Mera number bhee aayega!
A: Asks what is an MPFI..
Me: tells him about normal fuel injection and some vague clue about what MPFI should be and instinctively I am close to being correct.
(meanwhile B asks for my file and starts studying it)
A: what is moment of inertia?
Me: (what the heck that was 7 yrs ago.. never toched again) I think for a while and explains him in bits how to get that (This I should/could have done better)
A: Asks about the axis thm?
Me: luckily recalled that told him..
A: what is I*alpha?
Me: (goofed up) don't know!
A: You are an IITian do a dimensional analysis and tell me?
Me: I did and got dimensions of energy.. Told him it is energy!
A: which energy?
Me: Rotational (should have been Torque dimensions are same)
A:Ask about Laminar flow..
me:tells him what is is..
A: Ask a question about flow in a pipe and ask me define parameters ...I am still thinking whether I read these words during my graduation.
ME: Sir you can check my marsheet... only three P's I scored in graduation are in Thermo Fluid and Prime Movers (But I am still I good mech engineer with 7.8 cg!!)
A: tests my patience with 3-4 more question in fluid and thermo
I keep on saying I don't know most of time..
At this point A closes the form I have given him Now he plays on my strength.
A:Ok what are types of probability distribtion
Explains well..
B: gives me a sort of case of smapling study and asks me to define some parameters.
me: Took some time and explained decently..
A: some more cross question
handled well mostly
B: You want to cross a river ask me for depth I'll tell you either mod, median or Mean what do you want.
me: I wouldn't like to bet my life on eithr of values.
Simles..
C:(He speaks) you play chess.. who is current champion
ME: tells him Kasporov/... tells him ELO of Kasporov and V Anand ! ask about more GMs' tells him a couple more.
A: ask me since when is Kasporov ruling..
Me: perhaps since 94.. no clue..
So this is over.. they tell me it is nice to meet you.. me leaving..
B suddenly: what are other calls
I tell him a LACKI
he say best of luck for 'other' calls !!
Thats' it.. no intro ..MBA ...no work Ex question(damn I am there for 2.5 yrs)
So seems like I should do thermo before going for other what say??

had my IIM - I interview today...
my background : Mechanical engineer from IIT Delhi, 2 years of work ex in software..

reached there by 9.00 AM.. 21 people - divided into 3 groups of 7 each... 3 panels of 2 interviewers each...
my grp of 7 was taken to a room for G.D... some case study about a guy who is having problem running his business.. hes in deep shit - what to do ?
i started off, talking about some of the problems.. cooool GD... everyone got a chance to speak... no probs at all... then we were asked to write a summary - 5 mins for writing summary, -ve marks if u exceed even 1 sec after 5 mins r over...

Then came the interview... 2 people A1, A2 and me... i enter the room...
me - may i come in?
A1 - yeah yeah.. come in... please be seated...
me - thank you sir..
A1 - So Mr. Manu you have done ur engineering from IIT Delhi
me - yes sir...
A1 - and you come from Rajasthan?
me - No sir, U.P
A1 - who is the CM of UP?
me - Mulayam singh yadav...
A1 - what r the problems that UP faces?
me - political instability, poverty, population, agriculture etc etc etc... tried to to say something abt all this...
A1 - so u had a 8 CGPA in IIT... goood very good... (he misunderstood my last sem SPGA to be total CGPA... good for me )
A1 - Mr. Manu you are earning soo well, then why do you want to do an MBA ?
me - some general stuff.... technical + management... blah blah blah....
A2 - give me your file / certificates...
A1 - yeah... continue...
me - some more stuff.... blah blah blah....
A1 - what are ur job responsibilities over here?
me - some generic stuff.... blah blah blah....

now A1 keeps quite and A2 takes over...

A2 - so you have this course in IIT, and this course also and this one too... goood... do u remember anything of ur IIT studies...
me - yes sir, some parts of it....
A2 - which courses ?
me - thermal, power plant engineering, IC engines and other courses related to automobiles... i had gr8 interest in automobiles....
A2 - ok... so divide an automobile in diff systems...
me - engine, clutch, break, body etc etc... named 10 - 11 systems...
A2 - we'll start with gear system... tell us something abt it...
me - told them abt its working...
A2 - what is torque. explain to a layman....
me - gave the definition, tried explaning it...
(A2 asked something more on gears n torque, which i didn't knew...)
A2 - what abt hydraulic power steering systems? how do they work and how r they linked to gear systems... (some related questions also)
me - answered them...
A2 - tell us something about MPFI systems...
me - blah blah blah....
some more questions about MPFI, which i didn't knew...
A2 - which power plants have u visited ?
me - Badarpur power plant...
A2 - tell us abt their working....
me - blah blah blah....
A2 - how many types of turbies are there ?
me - told them thatever i knew... not much though....
A2 - how many types of power plants are there?
me - thermal, hydel, nuclear, wind tidal, etc etc.. more about them...
A2 - name some thermal power plants...
me - badarpur... uuur hmmm dont remember any other...
A2 - name some nuclear power plants....
me - hmmm uuuuuhh dont remember....
A2 - u dont remember nuclear power plants... they r sooooooo famous... tarapur etc.
me - yes sir yes sir...
A2 - where do we have wind power plants in India...
me - gujrat and maharashtra....

A2 - okie dokie.... u can leave now... have a biscuit...
me - thanks......
A2 - how many calls do u have ?
me - 5
A2 - which one didn't sent u a call?
me - Bangalore...
A2 - best of luck for all of them :smile:

thats all folks.....

hi all.
I reached at IIMB at 8.15 today morning. three people - one bored, rheumy sardar, one dark upright moustached fellow, and one huge, pale funny-looking chap. the last guy did all the roll-calling, explaining etc.

My background: electrical engg from IITK working in Infosys for last 21 months, Percentile 99.37(verbal 86.14), Xth 90, XIIth 90, College: 7.5

CASE: Satya is working in a company as a trainee.She gets a call from district magistrate rediculing for not delivering the PC on time for which he had paid the whole amount in advance. He was told that the PC will be delivered in 30 days and nothing is delivered even after 45 days. She had a meeting with her ASM(area sales manager) and marketing executive. They knew that the processeing time for any consignment is 60 days but to achieve their sales target they promised him. They are now planning to deliver empty cartons with a slip saying that only someone from he company is going to open it and install it. When they'll actaully get the consigment they will replace it saying that something is wrong. Sathya disagrees but can't do anything. Soon the ASM is removed from the company for some malpractise and the marketing executive takes his place. Sathya feels like leaving the company and look for job somewhere else. What should sathya do?

It was a peaceful GD with eight people without any girl :sad:

PI: I was the the third last person to be interviewed. Almost all had 20min interview. Mine was a bit less.
Sardarji (S), Middle guy (M), and Biggie (B)

B: so you are from allahabad and did your electrical engineering from IIT kanpur? What was your JEE rank?
Me: 237 sir

M: asks for my folder.
I give it to him

B: Your marks of X and XII also seems to be good but how'll you rate your academic performance in IITK? what was your rank?
Me: Sir my rank will be around 30/80 (don't know actually but it should be around 40/100).
[ gave a lot of explaination why my acads suffered in IITK becasue of extra curriculars. He looked to be convinced.]

S: What is an induction motor?
Me: blah blah blah...

S: what is a capacitor? how is it different from starter.
Me: tried to explain that capacitor is the basic component whereas starter is a circuit made using capacitor, resistor and inductor.
[I am not sure what it is actaully?]

S: why don't we use capacitor in tubelight instead of starter.
Me: sorry I don't know.

S: What are the different types of circuits?
Me: [thinking] something..... give some answer.

S: [he asks somehting which I don't make out anything?]
Me: I don't know sir.

S: didn't you study it in Electrical engineering.
Me: Sir I did only 2 courses in Electrical. Most of them are in electronics and communications.

S: Ok what is a diode?
Me: blah blah

S: what is a triode?
Me: I misunderstood it as transistor and started explaining. so sardar interrupts me in between. I said I forgot what is a triode.

S: what is a thyristor?
Me: blahblah

S: what is a digital circuit?
Me: blahblah...

S: what is an anolog circuit?
Me: I explained him in terms of transisters and diode.

S: is there any anolog circuit in this room?
Me: no sir.

S: look again.
Me: Sir I think you are talking about Electrical anaolog circuit and I am talking about analog circuits in chips. [Tried to explain him but he doesn't seemed to be pleased.]

shifts to B

B: So you are from allahabad. what is allahabad famous for.
Me: blahblah blah

B: what all political parties are there in UP?
Me: majorly 4 sir: BJP and SP, then Congress and BSP.

B: from which party is the CM? his name?
Me: Mulayam singh yadav from SP.

B: what is the population of UP?
Me: don't know sir.

B: what are the major source of revenue for UP?
Me: basically sugarcane and wheat. don't know about the rest sir.

B: what is the mojor source of power generation in india.
Me: Hydro electric followed by thermal and nuclear [does anybody know whether it is thermal or hydroelectric which is the mojor source of power in india?]

shifts to M

M: have you heard about tennessee valley project?
Me: No sir.

M: have you heard about narmada valley project?
Me: Yes sir.

M: still you haven't heard about tennessee valley project?

Me: No sir .

they indicate that the IV is over so i thank them and leave

all of a sudden B asks me if I have all the calls, I say NO I have only IK calls. He wishes me luck and I leave.

dont know wht to think

TIP: irrespective of work-ex., they are concentrating on acads, acads and acads so be prepped.

ATB

hi guys
my indore int on 5 march

thx for all this info

guys
plz tell us more about the case study
as in what points u gave and what did the group says(good points)

rohit

hi all.
B: what is the mojor source of power generation in india.
Me: Hydro electric followed by thermal and nuclear

ATB

hi,

More than 80% of electricity in India is generated from thermal sourc. It is a normal misconception that hydro electricity is the major source of energy.

Hrishi

Nirma

ATB __________________
Tapan

this is a bad criteria to evaluate upon.
especially work ex guys shud not be grilled toooooooo much on the acads.

wat R they up to?

anybody frm commerce backgrnd wid no work ex got his/her iimi gd/intrvw??

puruc Says
anybody frm commerce backgrnd wid no work ex got his/her iimi gd/intrvw??

hi puruc

i m doing b com (h) no work x
my interview on 5 march

how about u

rohit

Woo .. I intws r already started!! .... Mez curious to see how some non-techie gets grilled (read Com/BBA/BMS/etc) ... Wht kinda heavyduty acads can they plough into afa teh alternative courses (n evrythin non-engr can b bracketed in alternative)go i wonder?!

Quo Vadis Says
Woo .. I intws r already started!! .... Mez curious to see how some non-techie gets grilled (read Com/BBA/BMS/etc) ... Wht kinda heavyduty acads can they plough into afa teh alternative courses (n evrythin non-engr can b bracketed in alternative)go i wonder?!

i am an mbbs and got pretty much grilled on my acads; although the Qs. were not common med. doubts, they were pretty easy for me to handle as med. as very intensive, even during practice. remember that these guys knoe their stuff and will grill you and grill you again on your acads....

hi i am a hotel management grad with 11 months of work ex only i as a call
have the inter on 4 of march in delhi 2 pm slot
any one for the same slot
and thanks to all for sharing your ex and all who r having there interviews please post your ex