IIM I - Queries/FAQs

Dudes and Dudettes, Congratulations to all the chappies with calls. You are now one step away from 'I’tehood. Feel free to post any questions you might have about the GDs, PIs, insti, weather … anything. Me and Sachkal will get back to yo…

Dudes and Dudettes,

Congratulations to all the chappies with calls. You are now one step away from 'I'tehood.
Feel free to post any questions you might have about the GDs, PIs, insti, weather ... anything. Me and Sachkal will get back to you at the earliest...

~Neal

hi neal
well, its funny that i am the first one to post a reply here because i haven't got a call from I, but the pt is that i have calls from all the other 5 (making me BLACK) but no I :!: :shock:
i am just so curious to know what happened.... can u help?? btw, i am a fresher... cud it be that they don't have my data loaded on their server? lol just a thot....
(btw, there are atleast 2 more ppl like me on this forum, if not more....)

well mini i guess that cant be the reason coz even i am a fresher.. n i just got Indore call. there's dfntly something more to it...mebbe the indivdl cutoffs r overtly diff.!

sid

hey Mini/Sid,

Well there were several incidences last year of chaps gettin I as their only call. Now theses guys were invariably people with work ex. IF you think about it, if people with work ex get singular I calls, then its logical that some freshers would probably miss the BLACK I by a whIsker.

The current batch at I is heavily biased toward work-ex. More than 50% have over 2yrs. Guess the freshers here did the same special thing as you did Sid...dont ask me what the hell it was...

~neal

Okay, I have some questions.

Me got 1.5 work ex, and good acads.

1) Is there anything like I has only case-studies in GDs? Last year, I heard (from harrypotter here) that there was a huge page of case study given, and it took a lot of time for candidates to agree on whats exepcted out of the study. In simple terms, is case-study a norm in I?
2) What is the CAT percentile range of students currently in I (I've heard of guys with 96% in IIMI). Is it true? Just F.My.I sake.
3) What is the normal duration of interview, the focal point?
4) Excusez moi if I sound ignorant, is the weightage of CAT, GD and interview known, or is it 'guess'able? Intuitions would be more than enuf!
5) Any q's on acads (boy, Im from Elec. don't even ask me what a transistor is ), work-related?
6) Weightage given to extra-curriculars?

ok, lemme stop here
Hey, Thanks very much for answering our queries. You'd be blessed.

Hey Scorpy,
Here's my inquisitive buggation..

I graduated in 2003, after which I have worked as a photojournalist for 7 months with a major newspaper.. my workex in that sense, is unconventional. Partly, I have always been unsure of how this kind of workex would be taken at a management interview. I didnt write abt the workex in my CAT form as I had only started out back then.

1) Are there people in your batch who have workex in an area that is purely creative?

2) Would disclosing a journalistic workex at the interview go against me? Should I rather keep mum about it and say that I sat at home (collecting IMS pencils ) after graduation?

A

Here goes...
1) Is there anything like I has only case-studies in GDs? Last year, I heard (from harrypotter here) that there was a huge page of case study given, and it took a lot of time for candidates to agree on whats exepcted out of the study. In simple terms, is case-study a norm in I?
Case Studies are more the rule than exception at I. Unless they decide to shake things up drastically, you're almost certain to get a case. And well it isn't really huge or anything, just a page or so...very manageable.
2) What is the CAT percentile range of students currently in I (I've heard of guys with 96% in IIMI). Is it true? Just F.My.I sake.
Well from what I know, the first listers were invariably 98.5+ ers. There were a couple of guys in the third list with about 97 - 97.5.
3) What is the normal duration of interview, the focal point?
Last time around the inteviews lasted for about 30 minutes.
4) Excusez moi if I sound ignorant, is the weightage of CAT, GD and interview known, or is it 'guess'able? Intuitions would be more than enuf!
Hmmm, a CAT score above 98.5 percentile and decent GD/PIs shud get you through. Gut feel is that GDs carry quite a bit of weightage....these chaps are really strung out on their cases ... love them with a passion.
5) Any q's on acads (boy, Im from Elec. don't even ask me what a transistor is ), work-related?
hehehehe..welcome ot the club of Engineers who have no freakin clue about what they did during their BEs. See if you got work ex you will be questioned on your work profile. There could be a few questions from ur acads, but its OK to not know em. Though I suggest you better look up the transistor thing!
6) Weightage given to extra-curriculars?
Well one can never be sure about this, but we have a pretty eclectic bunch here, someone a national player in this or that, someones a dramatist etc etc...it does make an impresion

And now for CB:

1) Are there people in your batch who have workex in an area that is purely creative?
Hmm, not that I know of. There are a couple of people with a years gap though.

2) Would disclosing a journalistic workex at the interview go against me? Should I rather keep mum about it and say that I sat at home (collecting IMS pencils ) after graduation?
Well this is a toughie, cos if you've got a gap then ud beter have a brilliant explanation for it. Then again, what they really look for is consistency, clarity of goals etc...and photojournalism to an MBA isnt exactly seamless. Pretty much between a rock and a hard place.
Since you're in a major newspaper i would try and explain the work ex, somehow build it into my goals and intent .... and im prayin ure an Arts student and not an engineer!
My $0.02

~Neal

hi Neal.. thanks for the help provided.

well, i have some queries

1. How many calls does I issue?
2. Wot kind of placements come to the ppl with 10-11 months experience in S/w?
3. Heard a lot abt the new campus in Rau village, is it functional, can you throw some light on the infrastructure and fecilities available in I?

Thanks in advance ,
Chandoo

Then again, what they really look for is consistency, clarity of goals etc...and photojournalism to an MBA isnt exactly seamless. Pretty much between a rock and a hard place.
Since you're in a major newspaper i would try and explain the work ex, somehow build it into my goals and intent .... and im prayin ure an Arts student and not an engineer!

Thanks, Neal.
My apprehensions proved right.. & on top of it, I am an engineer (almost)

So Neal, you say that between faking a one-year-gap and disclosing my workex, the second is preferrable. Hmm.. it only gets better ... the confusion ;)

Q) Does Idr have placements in media-related companies? (I'd include production houses, MR, Advertising/New media, Integrated-media orgs etc in that)

Hi Neal,

My date for interview is clashing. How can I get it rescheduled ?
How difficuly it is do this.

thanks,
velocity.

Could anyone enlighten me on how to request for interview resheduling ?
Saying that it clashes with some other insti isn't to hard to hear ?

-velocity.

hey guys

got a call from i. now this may snd real ignorant but how many ppl does i call for how many seats, i dont have wex and have bbm BG does that imp or harm my chances? :

kk

hi

got my IIMI interview schedule on 7th april,IIFT at 2 pm...but HEY!
my IIMC inetrview is also on the 7th at IMI at 11 am :
hey i can't afford to miss any of these as i have only C,L,I....
how do i get it rescheduled and what should i quote a smy reason????
hope i don't get into the bad books of I asking them to change my interview
schedule than asking C

oh and thanx for the fabulous effort u guys at I are putting 4 us 😁

kindly help and reply soon

thanks
strider

Phew!!! You guys sure do move fast .....

Here goes ...

Chandoo,

1. How many calls does I issue?
i hear its around 1000 ... for a possible 120 odd seats ... dunno if that might changs courtesy Mr. Joshi. Unlikely.

2. Wot kind of placements come to the ppl with 10-11 months experience in S/w?
We have most of the software majors comin over. Actually most engineers look to change to Fin or Mktg .. and I has only recently increased the batch size from 60 to 120. Since we had only 60 people to place this year we had to turn away many cos. Basically, we guys get to rank the order in which cos come in for placements, If your batch is Fin inclined, you'll have a majority voting for the Banks, mktg oriented would mean FMCGs and so on.
As far as experience is concerned, it does'nt really matter too much. Most cos differentiate wrt sals offered. A chap with work ex is eligible for lateral placements with higher sals.

3. Heard a lot abt the new campus in Rau village, is it functional, can you throw some light on the infrastructure and fecilities available in I?
Dude the campus is the piece-de-resistance at I. Awesome. World Class. Breathtaking. Situated on a hilltop (basically the entire hill from its base is fenced off and is I property) it really is a marvel. The Acad blocks are brilliantly aesthetic, the hostel blocks a thrilling maze (took me days to figure out my way ard here) ... all in all 193 acres of bliss! ... i could wax eloquent for days, but well the point is you gotta see it to believe it ...

Vibhavan,

Hi, I am in a similar position. I have taken a year off to focus 100% on CAT. I think it was the right decision, since CAT went off pretty well (and I got calls from BCLKI). But how do I explain it in the interview? Is it okay to say that I took a year off just for CAT?
Dude I really cant answer that, cos any answer is gonna be subjective. You might want to mail nitin ([email protected]) a batchmate with a similar profile and ask him abt it.

CB,

Q) Does Idr have placements in media-related companies? (I'd include production houses, MR, Advertising/New media, Integrated-media orgs etc in that)
Well I guess my reply to Chandoo's question pretty much answers this one. If you have several like minded individuals who vote for Ad agencies than they'll be here. Else, if you are hell bent, Placomm might send your CV to the co offline.

Velocity/Strider,

My date for interview is clashing. How can I get it rescheduled ?
How difficuly it is do this.
Dont have too much idea on this one, but will ask around. You might want to mail the Admissions Officer, Prof. Pranab Pani ([email protected]) regards this. Will get back to you on this one.

kavinkk,
got a call from i. now this may snd real ignorant but how many ppl does i call for how many seats, i dont have wex and have bbm BG does that imp or harm my chances?
Around 1000 as mentioned somewhere earlier. As far as work ex is concerned atleast in my batch they were biased towards people with work ex. But, there are guys with no work ex who made it, so dont worry about things you cant do much about. One thing's for sure, if you have no work ex then expect to be quizzed on your acads.

Keep em pouring in ...
~Neal

Hey CB,

Just checked out your album and Gosh! you are good. Very Good!!
You can definitely leverage that in your interviews. I suggest you build a collage and do up the last two sheets in your certi files. Not too difficult cos u seem to have the creative bent. Trust me, it can create a BIG impression. I had this little collage of small poems I'd written and a couple of pics. 8-10 minutes of excellent airtime at the interview and as far as I'm concerned the clincher! Think about it...

~Neal

Hey CB,
Just checked out your album and Gosh! you are good. Very Good!!
You can definitely leverage that in your interviews. I suggest you build a collage and do up the last two sheets in your certi files. Not too difficult cos u seem to have the creative bent. Trust me, it can create a BIG impression. I had this little collage of small poems I'd written and a couple of pics. 8-10 minutes of excellent airtime at the interview and as far as I'm concerned the clincher! Think about it...
~Neal

Thanks Neal. Your suggestion sounds neat.. it could keep them from asking strange management information that I know s**t about (includes much of the cliched interview grub).. A total lecture time on photography would surely make my day, hopefully theirs too. Hope it 'clicks'

A

Hi guys..
Congrats
Along with Neal, i m here to help u guys out with any queries rgd I...
BOL
Sandeep

Hi Friends,,,

My 2 cents.......

It is absolutely must,, to be thorough with your strong points..like photography etc..one can't afford to miss on that as they give u good leverage..

Just adding a word of caution..

Since you guys are smart to pull the interview towards your strong areas,, remember the guys sitting on the other end of the table are equally so..

So be mentally prepared about not being queried much on your stronger points or whatever you have written as your stronger points.

The point is..don't expect too much and go with open mind..

Feel free to ask more and all the best guys..

cheers
SK

bogeyman Says
So Neal, you say that between faking a one-year-gap and disclosing my workex, the second is preferrable. Hmm.. it only gets better ... the confusion

hey dude, you have got a different work-ex frm the junta ... leverage it to the max ... it works like magic .. i can assure you on this 😉

sachin Says
It is absolutely must,, to be thorough with your strong points..like photography etc..one can't afford to miss on that as they give u good leverage..

But of course be well prepared on all aspects of it

best of luck.