IIM Calcutta Summers 2007

So here it is gentlemen, the IIM Calcutta Summers thread. Here are a few partial snippets IIM grad to get Rs 10 lakh for summer job - The Times of India PS: This is November’s news, not some recycled March report :wink: Our Day Zero was…

So here it is gentlemen, the IIM Calcutta Summers thread. Here are a few partial snippets

IIM grad to get Rs 10 lakh for summer job - The Times of India

PS: This is November's news, not some recycled March report ;)

Our Day Zero was over today and it has broken all records ever set in the Indian B school setup.The official day zero report should be out soon and I'll duly put it out here, but fact is the sheer numbers in terms of firms and offers were incredible. Stipends look like Annual salaries! We of course have the maximum number of investment banks across campuses and if

We have a nice little ceremony here after Day zero is over. Every single person who is placed is called out whereon he heads to sign the placement register thereby officially signing out of the placement process. People gather around and cheer each other as the names are announced. Makes you feel rather good I must say.

Day 1 begins tommorow and it is bound to be a crazily hectic process. All of us who have been placed are pitching in as Infrastructure guys, Food and Beverage chaps, The fetchers (who carry students in bikes from interview to interview), The trackers (locate students). And of course an intricately designed control system with specially selected volunteers for each company. The logistics involved in carrying out this process is more complex than a rocket launch. Atleast you don't have 5 astronauts fighting for one rocket there

More details as and when they emerge and keep an eye on CNN-IBN. You might just notice me:). I am done with the process of course and looking forward to zooming around in bikes carrying fellow batch mates.

A small editing error above, anyways a few pieces of information

1. 33 Slot Zero firms (27+6) Highest across campuses (We know!)

2. Over a hundred ACCEPTS (Not OFFERS!!, make it a +/- 5 btw not very sure)

3. Maximum number of investment banks ever in the history of Bschools in India

4. Morgan Stanley, London starts hiring outside the Ivy league (Harvard, Wharton..) in the US for the first time in IIM-C

5. 4 firms recruit exclusively from IIM-C (incl. MS) . Can't name them now

6. Positions of Associate (takes a normal recruit 2-3 years to reach that level) offered to multiple candidates (Of course they had relevant workex)

7. Simply put this is one placement performance no media machinations can overshadow. IIMC has outdone itself. And what makes it more special is that it has managed to place one thirds of the largest batch (315) ever across campuses in Slot Zero!

Will keep adding reports as and when they are online. And btw I am done with my process. Managed to do pretty well for myself. 😉

so where are you heading to

catguy Says
so where are you heading to

He is heading to Goldman Sachs.:)

Congs Junta! 😁

CS: Congs for Goldman Sachs. u deserve it.

What abt other folks? DesiGuru? catasp2005?

catasp : ML

DG: AICTE
Project title : TO revamp the national wastes

Congs Junta! 😁

CS: Congs for Goldman Sachs. u deserve it.

What abt other folks? DesiGuru? catasp2005?

congo to one and all from IIMC

congo to everyone from Joka

Awesome placement figures guys !!

Congrats to one and all !

Ramesh

Rock on IIMC 😃

Mridul

Great show IIMC

One subtle thing in the link is that IIMC has come out of typical Indian mentality of comparisions between the first 3 alphabets of English language!

They are talking about rubbing shoulders with HWS people :thumbsup:

Way to go IIMC. Keep the spirit up

Truly awesome summerz,wonder how the final plcmnt. scene would be 😃 !!!

catasp - ML, location : ?
aaradhya - JPMC, London!!
who is john galt? - ?
others......................?

as anand pointed out, its so important to identify one's competition. and Joka has H/W/S on its radar :thumbsup: !!

cheers!!

What is the chance that a student gets a final job from the same company where he/she takes up Summers. Should be pretty high..right?

aaradhya - JPMC, London!!

cheers!!

dude... if my bosses were to read this, I'd be fired ... I'm going to Citigroup, not JPMC 😃

as for the question about joining the same company in finals, if they like your work, they give you a pre placement offer (PPO). This means no more sitting for placements, giving 20 interviews in a space of 7 hours.... and more importantly, acads cease to matter... So everyone here will have a PPO first and foremost on their minds right now
dude... if my bosses were to read this, I'd be fired ... I'm going to Citigroup, not JPMC 😃

oops... seems like every foreign bank has given LON-DON location? can you name all those who have done so? Citi,Morgan Stanley ...!!??

P.S. Absence of Edit button:neutral: .....??
convolutedsignal Says
>

this one should be called...from being CS to be in GS, eh!

amazing placements and congrats CS and the Joka Junta. wonder what you guys eat for breakfast 😉
this one should be called...from being CS to be in GS, eh!

amazing placements and congrats CS and the Joka Junta. wonder what you guys eat for breakfast 😉

Thanks Quinty

Sorry for not updating this thread but the day has been crazy here. I'll just be hopelessly useless and copy paste the links below. Will give a detailed description when its all over.

Summer placements soar at IIM-C
Moneycontrol India > News > Catching them young > > Management > IIM Calcutta, recruit, recruiting, recruitment, MBA, management, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, placement, internship, summer jobs
IIM-C students bag dream summer jobs : Bell the CAT, IIM, Kolkata, placements, summer jobs : IBNLive.com : CNN-IBN
The Telegraph - Calcutta : Frontpage

And finally

IIM-C students bag dream summer jobs : IBNLIVE Videos

A nice little video that captures the mood then, with bikes zipping around the campus! I have been one of those "fetchers" who zip around in bikes carrying people around. Been amazing fun managed to clock 67 kms inside the campus before my tyre blew!

This thread simply does not allow me to post!! Anyways Slot-1 is over here. It has been quite clearly better than last year ;). And of course more than 70% of the people are done with their placements. Tommorow the final round of placements begin.(Slot-2)

The strangest thing about IIM placements are the way in which we slot companies. Slot-0 international big ticket names, slot-1 multinational big ticket names and slot-3, national big ticket names. Now for the outsiders it may seem like Slot-2 is well err...not so highly regarded. But Let me just give you an idea of how ridiculously weird this "slotting" business is..

Among the companies we have tommorow lie some of the biggest and best places to work in anywhere in the world. All that this terminology of "slotting" has achieved is creating barriers in the minds of students as to the companies they choose.

For example let's take a guy who is pretty keen on marketing but hasn't managed to get called by HLL or P&G; or any of the big marketing firms. Now logically he should wait for the next tier of marketing firms like ITC or Marico both excellent companies anyday if you want a career in marketing.
However what ends up happening is that the guy who is unwilling to shift to a Slot-2 firm over a slot-1 firm, jumps to the nearest bank or financial services firm (which are dime-a-dozen in IIMC btw). Now he has the "better" slot. But has he made the right decision?

As I was saying Slot-2 starts tommorow, and if US Tech (with foreign offers!), ITC, Coke and Marico and whole lot of similar names are Slot-2, then there is something wrong with the system or maybe we just need a less definitive "slotting".

Neways placements for all the 315 Jokaiites should be over by tommorow or day after maximum. The final report will come out by then and I will be more than glad to share it with you :). Back to work now. New set of shortlists out!

oops... seems like every foreign bank has given LON-DON location? can you name all those who have done so? Citi,Morgan Stanley ...!!??
P.S. Absence of Edit button:neutral: .....??

London positions (actually all of em offer New york too in case u r interested)

Goldman Sachs
Citigroup (Double smilies thanks to IIMB)
Morgan Stanley
Lehman Brothers
Merill Lynch
HSBC
Barclays Capital
Deutsche Bank
JP Morgan
ABN Amro
UBS

Hopefully haven't missed out on too many names. Of course Mckinsey was offering London/NYC positions too! and Bloomberg offered NYC. ICICI, P&G;, TAS, Olam international , Al Shayah all offered international positions ranging from Canada to the Middle east to Asia Pacific!

No shortage of International firms. Its just a question of choosing what you want and being very clear about it! At 23 though that's a tough call!