IIM Calcutta - PGPEX VI- Admission process and Beyond

Hello Everyone, We are current students of PGPEX-V and would like to welcome you all to this new forum and hope that the forum proves to be a good companion for your journey. We are starting this thread to answer your queries regarding t…

Hello Everyone,

We are current students of PGPEX-V and would like to welcome you all to this new forum and hope that the forum proves to be a good companion for your journey.

We are starting this thread to answer your queries regarding the PGPEX VI admission process, course structure, batch profile, life @ IIMC and any other relevant query. Application process for PGPEX VI would be starting soon.

Please feel free to post your queries.

Thanks,
PGPEX-V batch

Best of luck to all who are in the process of applying for year 2012-2013 !!

Hi

I am 29 M with 7+ years if experience in IT industry currently working as Senior Business Analyst. My GMAT score is 740 (AWA 5.0). Academics good. Extra curricular: NGO work. Kindly help to evaluate my profile.

Also please elaborate bit more on application process. Information like essays and when we need to submit them, recommendations requirement etc. would be very helpful for us to prepare for admission at IIMC.

Appreciate your help
Thanks
Chetan

Hi

I am 29 M with 7+ years if experience in IT industry currently working as Senior Business Analyst. My GMAT score is 740 (AWA 5.0). Academics good. Extra curricular: NGO work. Kindly help to evaluate my profile.

Also please elaborate bit more on application process. Information like essays and when we need to submit them, recommendations requirement etc. would be very helpful for us to prepare for admission at IIMC.

Appreciate your help
Thanks
Chetan

Chetan,

It is really difficult to access one profile and comment about his/her selection chances. We can help you out by bringing forward few facts gained through our experience with application process last year.
Your GMAT is good but you belong to IT applicants, which is largest pool of applicants. It will help you if you can differentiate yourself in application/essays/interview from rest of the pool. Say, your NGO work should help you out here.

IIMC will post the admission schedule at its website. Keep on checking the site for the application information.

Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM-C)

Last year, application was available for downloading by end of June. Both Essays and Recommendations were integral part of the application process. There were 3 essays to be filled along with 2 recommendations. 31st August was the last day of application submission. Guideline for filling up the recommendations were mentioned in the application itself.

I hope this helps!

Hi IIMCPGPEX,

I saw that the average experience is about 8.1 years for the current batch and I would be just on the margin of eligibility criteria of 5 yrs. Also, I have knowhow about the global telecom scenario though not a specific role related global exposure as I have been handling indian clients primarily. Would like to know how would it impact my application.

What all qualities does the admission panel seek in a candidate for the PGPEX?

Appreciate your inputs.
BR//
Naman

Hi Guys,

Please evaluate my chances for course starting next yr 2012-13 . Please provide realistic chances. Profile :

Exp : 9+ (by April 2012) Overseas: 6 months
GMAT : 670/5.0(AWA)
Employers : CapGemini (Current), PwC Kolkata, TCS Kolkata
Extra curricular : Decent in School.
Xth : 77(Rajasthan State Board); XIIth : 74(Rajasthan State Board); Engg : 80% (Avg College- 2002)
Certs and Awards : Few technical certs & PMP, ITIL

Work exp in multiple domain and various roles including Team Lead, Business Development, Tech lead,Business Analystetc

Currently : Project & Tech Lead for multimillion dollar projects.

I do have good experience in domestic and non US UK market for lots of IT consulting and business process improvement work.

Thanks, Nishant

Hi IIMCPGPEX,

I saw that the average experience is about 8.1 years for the current batch and I would be just on the margin of eligibility criteria of 5 yrs. Also, I have knowhow about the global telecom scenario though not a specific role related global exposure as I have been handling indian clients primarily. Would like to know how would it impact my application.

What all qualities does the admission panel seek in a candidate for the PGPEX?

Appreciate your inputs.
BR//
Naman

IIMC do take people who have 5.x experience for PGPEX course. As far as you meet eligibility critera, no. of experience years do not matter. It is the quality of experience in those no. of years that will count. If you have experience in Telecom industry, you can project that in your application. It will add diversity to your portfolio.
Admission panel looks for the applicant who can be groomed as future leader. You can get a drift from the contents of the application & interview experience. Have a look at last year PG threads for interview experience.
Hi Guys,

Please evaluate my chances for course starting next yr 2012-13 . Please provide realistic chances. Profile :

Exp : 9+ (by April 2012) Overseas: 6 months
GMAT : 670/5.0(AWA)
Employers : CapGemini (Current), PwC Kolkata, TCS Kolkata
Extra curricular : Decent in School.
Xth : 77(Rajasthan State Board); XIIth : 74(Rajasthan State Board); Engg : 80% (Avg College- 2002)
Certs and Awards : Few technical certs & PMP, ITIL

Work exp in multiple domain and various roles including Team Lead, Business Development, Tech lead,Business Analystetc

Currently : Project & Tech Lead for multimillion dollar projects.

I do have good experience in domestic and non US UK market for lots of IT consulting and business process improvement work.

Thanks, Nishant

Nishant,

Since IT industry sends largest no. of applicants, there is a very tough competition out there. On average, IT applicant with 700+ score has better chances to get selected.
Having said that, if you have something unique about your profile, you can project that in your application/essays. That would help you.

Hi,

I actually have certain queries and am in a bit of dilemma about my applications for 1 year mba programs.

Hope you can help me out a little bit. Let me give me a short intro about myself:

Age 27.5
B.E. Metallurgy (82.6)
GMAT 730/5.5 (April 2011)
Occupation: Manufacturing Industry & Project (5 yrs as on date)
Extra Curricular: Doing voluntary Educational work

Keeping in mind my the profile that i have could you please answer my following questions:

1. Is the Job ex and age sufficient for PGPX IIMA or for PGPEX IIM Cal?
2. What is the comparison pool like? I mean will i be compared with all other applicants or just the manufacturing guys?
3. Approximately by when does the admission process start?
4. I went through the last years application form of PGPEX IIMC, Do we need to send a printed hard copy or a hand written one?
5. If short listed for PGPX IIMA what are the type of essays that I may be asked to write? I ask this so that i can start preparing from now.
6. I actually want to speak to few of the current students about their experiences at IIMC. Just hoping to get to know the college better. How can I contact them?

Thanks
anindya

Thanks IIMCPGPEX

Your reply was very helpful..Looking forward to apply to IIMC once application is open

Hi,

I actually have certain queries and am in a bit of dilemma about my applications for 1 year mba programs.

Hope you can help me out a little bit. Let me give me a short intro about myself:

Age 27.5
B.E. Metallurgy (82.6)

Keeping in mind my the profile that i have could you please answer my following questions:

2. What is the comparison pool like? I mean will i be compared with all other applicants or just the manufacturing guys?
4. I went through the last years application form of PGPEX IIMC, Do we need to send a printed hard copy or a hand written one?
5. If short listed for PGPX IIMA what are the type of essays that I may be asked to write? I ask this so that i can start preparing from now.
6. I actually want to speak to few of the current students about their experiences at IIMC. Just hoping to get to know the college better. How can I contact them?

Thanks
anindya

Hello Anindya,
See my comments -
> I can give first hand information on IIMC, and info on IIMA based on my limited experience. IIMC insists on 5 years of work post ed work experience, while IIMA insists on min applicant age of 27 years. The average work ex in IIM Kolkata is about 9 years.
> Majority of the folks are from IT background and we do have people from manufacturing background.
> Application starts sometime in May and last date for submitting filled application forms is usually around the end of May. Check up IIM Calcutta PGPEX Program for more update info.
> You can send either a printed / handwritten application.
> Usual topics are Why MBA + 1 essay on achievement / challenges + Strengths / Weaknesses. Probably you can post this to IIMA PGPx forum on PaGalGuY.
6. I actually want to some of the current students about their experiences at IIMC. Just hoping to get to know the college better. How can I contact them?
> You can post on this forum and the current PGPEx Puys will be glad to provide the clarification you need.

Good luck.

I thank you very much for the help...

Could you elaborate about the importance of extracurricular activities? I have been deeply involved in a certain kind of work for the past 7 years but it is not through any NGO or company CSR. My point is how should i present it?

I also had another question about the type of recommenders. Should I only approach senior managers? Actually I had a senior with whom I worked for 2 years but he quit the company about 2 ago and is presently an alumni of ISB. That was the longest stretch that i worked under 1 single boss. Of course he knows me better that my present managers do. Does he qualify as a good recommender?

Thanks

Hi,

Age 27.5
B.E. Metallurgy (82.6)

Thanks
anindya

Since response has been provided in above post, I am removing the duplicate response from here.
I thank you very much for the help...

Could you elaborate about the importance of extracurricular activities? I have been deeply involved in a certain kind of work for the past 7 years but it is not through any NGO or company CSR. My point is how should i present it?

I also had another question about the type of recommenders. Should I only approach senior managers? Actually I had a senior with whom I worked for 2 years but he quit the company about 2 ago and is presently an alumni of ISB. That was the longest stretch that i worked under 1 single boss. Of course he knows me better that my present managers do. Does he qualify as a good recommender?

Thanks

Consistent and substantial extracurricular activity will show that you have been doing something extra apart from your regular day-to-day job. It can give you a competitive edge in comparison to other applicants. Assumption is that lesser %age of applicants participates in meaningful EC activities.
With respect to representation, you can quote leadership, achievements instances that you had in your ECs.

Ideally, your recommender should know you professionally well. Additionally, if he has been associated with you since last few years that would help. Evaluator would like to know about the recommendation contents which represents latest 'you'. Of course, to be ideal is a difficult preposition, and deviations will be there depending upon individual situation.

PGPEX Applicants,

As time moves on, you can find the imprint of our batch creative juices squeezed as blogs posted at IIMC PGPEX blog site. I am attaching said link as it will provide you the snapshot of college life for batch 5. Happy reading!

IIMC PGPEX Blog

Hello Seniors,

Thanks for starting this thread. Need your suggestion:

I have a family business (a small scale industry employing 15 people) where I used to contribute actively during college days. After college I landed in an IT job and am currently in USA, but still do some consulting for the business back home. Do you think I should project more on my entrepreneur capabilities in the application or will it not count because I never did it full time after graduation?

Experience: 6 years in IT (4 yrs in USA) as of May 2011
GMAT: 680 (Q47, V36, AWA-4.5)
B E : 73.75 %
12th: 68%
10th: 75%
Decent extra curricular with some national level certificates, sports, toastmasters, NCC, etc

For an IT guy, my profile might look average. Any suggestions to add weight to it will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

https://docs.google.com/a/email.iimcal.ac.in/viewer?a=v&pid;=explorer&chrome;=true&srcid;=0Bx0Uc69L_e-NN2RmMmI3NTAtODZjOS00ZDQzLTkyY2ItZmVjOTBhZTU3MTY0&hl;=en

Dear All Aspirants for 2013 PGPEX VI batch,

I am happy to share with you that IIM-C is ranked First in the Business Standard- Indian Management (AIMA) business school survey. The news reported in the Business Standard is attached. The full story will be published in May issue of the Indian Management.

Please go through the link above.

With Best Regards

PGPEX V
IIM Calcutta.
Hello Seniors,

Thanks for starting this thread. Need your suggestion:

I have a family business (a small scale industry employing 15 people) where I used to contribute actively during college days. After college I landed in an IT job and am currently in USA, but still do some consulting for the business back home. Do you think I should project more on my entrepreneur capabilities in the application or will it not count because I never did it full time after graduation?

Experience: 6 years in IT (4 yrs in USA) as of May 2011
GMAT: 680 (Q47, V36, AWA-4.5)
B E : 73.75 %
12th: 68%
10th: 75%
Decent extra curricular with some national level certificates, sports, toastmasters, NCC, etc

For an IT guy, my profile might look average. Any suggestions to add weight to it will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

My guess is that since you are from IT, you will be classified as a IT person with additional work done as an entrepreneur. Having said that, you can definitely share interesting, aspiring stories as an entrepreneur through essays. You can quote your entrepreneurship achievements and leadership qualities in the application also.
Idea is to introspect, present a true picture through applications/essays and share information with evaluator which will provide you competitive advantage vis others.

Thanks for your valuable feedback IIMCPGPEX.