IIM Calcutta PGPEX III : Admission process and beyond...

Hey guys, With just two more weeks to go before IIMC starts the application process for its third batch of PGPEX, I thought this would probably be the right time to kick-start this thread. Will be glad to be of any assistance on this subject. …

Hey guys,
With just two more weeks to go before IIMC starts the application process for its third batch of PGPEX, I thought this would probably be the right time to kick-start this thread. Will be glad to be of any assistance on this subject.
BTW, there is also a fairly active yahoo group exclusively meant for IIMC PGPEX aspirants iimc-pgpex : IIM Calcutta PGPEX. Chances are that you will find answers to most of your questions in its recent posts. Many current students and a large number of aspirants are already a part of it. All are welcome to join.
Regards,
Alttitude

hi altitude

are you in the current batch ? thanks for starting the thread

Yep, I'm a part of current PGPEX II batch

alttitude Says
Yep, I'm a part of current PGPEX II batch

Thanks Alttitude for starting the thread.

I will appreciate if you can share some strategies for cracking the verbal section.

Thanks
Ash.

Is there an entrance test for this program? Don't they accept CAT or GMAT scores?
Now I am woefully out of touch with quant, verbal, etc 😞

Hey guys,
With just two more weeks to go before IIMC starts the application process for its third batch of PGPEX, I thought this would probably be the right time to kick-start this thread. Will be glad to be of any assistance on this subject.
BTW, there is also a fairly active yahoo group exclusively meant for IIMC PGPEX aspirants iimc-pgpex : IIM Calcutta PGPEX. Chances are that you will find answers to most of your questions in its recent posts. Many current students and a large number of aspirants are already a part of it. All are welcome to join.
Regards,
Alttitude

Good to see u starting the thread and thanks a lot for that

I would like to share my profile here and ask you gew questions which may be useful to others also.

I am a Design Engineer (Automotive Sector) having work experience of 5 years by March 2009.

I am in UK from Sep 2006 and will be here till March 2009.

My GMAT - 690 V-36 Apt-47

Awa- 4/6

Now my questions:

How versatile is it being a Design Engineer (not IT) working for a Engineering Services Company ?

Since my GMAT is on lower side, what other factors do i need to concentrate so as to make my application strong?

Also my experience is only 5 years , will this be a disadvantage for me to get shortlisted for the interview? I have applied for IIMA PGPEX already and waiting for the IIMC announcement.

How important is the GMAT score for getting shortlisted?

What is the avg exp for your batch and avg GMAT?

Hope to get all the answers :smile:

Cheers.

hi all,

I'm Chinmay, 9 yrs exp, System Software, Semiconductor industry
Didn't make it to IIMC last year beyond the IV.
Will be re-appearing for GMAT in May.
Current Score: 690

I do not have significant "management" experience and neither am I designated as a manager.
I would like to know from current students if there are people with more of a techie experience and how much importance does adcom lay on previous management exp.

Thanx
Chinmay

Suggestions Pleeez...............

Hi Guys,I am Sajjan from Bangalore, nice to be here afterv a long time.I am a Telecom Engineer with 3 years of experience
I am planning to pursue 1 yr Excecutive program in international Business from IIM-C.

Can anyone tell me if there is a good weightage for this course?
Would a person get recognision after completing this course?

Is there an entrance test for this program? Don't they accept CAT or GMAT scores?
Now I am woefully out of touch with quant, verbal, etc :(

Yep, they accept only GMAT scores taken within the last 36 months at the time of application...refer the following link for more information...this webpage will be updated shortly with the datails of our batch...
OurWeb :: IIM Calcutta PGPEX
Good to see u starting the thread and thanks a lot for that

I would like to share my profile here and ask you gew questions which may be useful to others also.

I am a Design Engineer (Automotive Sector) having work experience of 5 years by March 2009.

I am in UK from Sep 2006 and will be here till March 2009.

My GMAT - 690 V-36 Apt-47

Awa- 4/6

Now my questions:

How versatile is it being a Design Engineer (not IT) working for a Engineering Services Company ?

Since my GMAT is on lower side, what other factors do i need to concentrate so as to make my application strong?

Also my experience is only 5 years , will this be a disadvantage for me to get shortlisted for the interview? I have applied for IIMA PGPEX already and waiting for the IIMC announcement.

How important is the GMAT score for getting shortlisted?

What is the avg exp for your batch and avg GMAT?

Hope to get all the answers :smile:

Cheers.

Hey barkers, welcome on board!
Will try to provide answers to all your questions...here we go...
1. Vesatality component - Decent
2. Focus areas - Extracurriculars, Essays, Try to make the maximum out of your diversity factor - describe challenges of your job in your essays, some occasions when you had a chance to demonstrate leadership etc should be pretty helpful too...
3. Lower experiance - Number of years is obviously an important consideration because the batch average is 9.5 years (10 years in last batch). But having said that, we have admits at that exp level...which means IIMC is open to take you as long as you have other attributes which can be hghlighted and sold to the adcom...My personal advise would be not to worry about it now because you can't change it...focus on your other strengths and try to give a good overall picture...
4. Importance of GMAT - One of the more important criteria. As you know there are so many subjective aspects under scrutiny like diversity, leadership skills, essays, background etc. that are difficult to evaluate, so naturally something more black and white like GMAT score commands due emphasis...
5. Avg exp - 9.5 years, Avg GMAT - 706

ATB for your application!
hi all,

I'm Chinmay, 9 yrs exp, System Software, Semiconductor industry
Didn't make it to IIMC last year beyond the IV.
Will be re-appearing for GMAT in May.
Current Score: 690

I do not have significant "management" experience and neither am I designated as a manager.
I would like to know from current students if there are people with more of a techie experience and how much importance does adcom lay on previous management exp.

Thanx
Chinmay

Hi Chinmay, there are people in my batch who had purely technical b/g. Agreed you were not officially into a management role, but you can still highlight some facts which demonstrate your leadership skills, business acument, extra-curriculars etc.
End of the day you need to be able to substantially differentiate yourself from the rest of the applicants to make it easy for the adcom to prefer you over someone else of similar experiance and background...
ATB!
Suggestions Pleeez...............

Hi Guys,I am Sajjan from Bangalore, nice to be here afterv a long time.I am a Telecom Engineer with 3 years of experience
I am planning to pursue 1 yr Excecutive program in international Business from IIM-C.
Can anyone tell me if there is a good weightage for this course?
Would a person get recognision after completing this course?

Hi Sajjan, This forum is meant exclusively for PGPEX and your question is also not very specific, it'd be very difficult to provide an answer...

Hi alttitude,

Thanks for taking time out from your busy study schedule and starting this thread........request your help regarding few queries:

1) When can we expect an official announcement about dates and requirements from IIMC?
2) Any chances of increase in work ex criterion?
3) Workex 5 years is considered till what date? I am a mechanical engg with close to 4.5 years of workex as on date....by Oct 08 I will complete 5 years. Will I be eligible for the program?

My Profile:
GMAT 720
Worked in Automotive and Retail Industries with 2 of the best Brand names.

See below post...sorry for duplication

Hi alttitude,

Thanks for taking time out from your busy study schedule and starting this thread........request your help regarding few queries:

1) When can we expect an official announcement about dates and requirements from IIMC?
2) Any chances of increase in work ex criterion?
3) Workex 5 years is considered till what date? I am a mechanical engg with close to 4.5 years of workex as on date....by Oct 08 I will complete 5 years. Will I be eligible for the program?

My Profile:
GMAT 720
Worked in Automotive and Retail Industries with 2 of the best Brand names.

No problem. About your questions:
1. Most likely on 1st May, if not, definitely within first 4-5 days of May
2. Not that I'm aware of...
3. Last year it was considered as "Completed years and months till 30th Nov 2007" and the program commenced on 1st Dec. This next batch will commence from 1st April 2009 so going by the old logic it should be 31st March 2009...but this is only my personal opinion...please wait for the official announcement to be sure...
Hi Chinmay, there are people in my batch who had purely technical b/g. Agreed you were not officially into a management role, but you can still highlight some facts which demonstrate your leadership skills, business acument, extra-curriculars etc.
End of the day you need to be able to substantially differentiate yourself from the rest of the applicants to make it easy for the adcom to prefer you over someone else of similar experiance and background...
ATB!

hi altitude

i am in the same category as Chinmay as far as getting rejected last year. I think the weakest spot in my application was my GMAT score (590). I am writing it again this year. Do you think that this could have been the foremost reason for my rejection?
hi altitude

i am in the same category as Chinmay as far as getting rejected last year. I think the weakest spot in my application was my GMAT score (590). I am writing it again this year. Do you think that this could have been the foremost reason for my rejection?

Personally I think so, Yes...even if your application would have had several other merits I think this would have been the prima-facie deciding factor...

Hey Altitude,

Any info if IIMC is going to increase the student intake for the next batch?

Thanks.

Hey Altitude,

Any info if IIMC is going to increase the student intake for the next batch?

Thanks.

Yep, its up by 20% (from existing 40 to 48 )if we were to beleive unofficial sources...