IIM Calcutta (IIMC) fielded the second batch of PGPEX-VLM

*Publication:*Economic Times Kolkata; *Date:*Sep 1, 2008; *Section:*Career & Business; *Page Number:*6 IIMC hosts 2nd batch of leadership course *Our Bureau KOLKATA * IIM Calcutta (IIMC) fielded the second batch of one-year residential P…

Publication:Economic Times Kolkata; Date:Sep 1, 2008; Section:Career & Business; Page Number:6

IIMC hosts 2nd batch of leadership course
Our Bureau KOLKATA
IIM Calcutta (IIMC) fielded the second batch of one-year residential Post-Graduate Programme for Executives in Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing (PGPEX VLM) on August 31. This education program has been designed to develop leaders for the manufacturing sector in India by equipping them with state-of-the-art management techniques and skills with cuttingedge technological awareness.
The objectives, content, curriculum and pedagogy has been jointly designed by IIMC, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras, in consultation with the industry, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC) and the HRD ministry in consultation with Prof Shoji Shiba, a world-renowned authority in the field of manufacturing and a faculty of the programme.
This fast-track programme blends the quality management programmes of IIMC, technological prowess of the IITs and classy expertise of Japanese faculty, together with the experience of Indian business leaders.
Japan consul general Fujio Samukawa said: Sooner or later, the world will acknowledge Indian-made products which will be internationally competitive.
IIT Kanpur director Sanjay G. Dhande said the idea behind the programme is to groom students so that they are able to come up with innovative products and develop the Indian manufacturing sector.
IIMC director Sekhar Chaudhury pointed out that the programmes intent is to make Indian manufacturing customer-oriented.
They were speaking at an interactive session with the media at the IIMC campus on Sunday.
The students, who come from an exclusively engineering background, of this batch of PGPEXVLM have been selected on the basis of merit and experience.
The batch comprises around 30 students who have an experience level of over eight years. Four are sponsored. The course fee is placed at Rs 5 lakh with additional expenses for travelling to Japan together with other incidental costs.
IIMC, in collaboration with IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras, had launched this joint IIM-IIT one-year course in August 2007 under the umbrella of NMCC and the HRD ministry, government of India. The programme draws support from the government of Japan by way of deputation of Japanese faculty and industry experts.
The PGPEX-VLM students and faculty are also trained in manufacturing centres of excellence in Japan through a collaboration agreement signed by the prime ministers of India and Japan.
The first batch of the programme was started last year and has just concluded the placement process. Students have swung an average salary of Rs 15 lakh, while the highest offer was pegged at Rs 25 lakh. Companies lapping up the students include PricewaterhouseCooper, Century Plywood, Cummins, Infosys, Jindal Steel, Reliance ADAG, Satyam, Ranbaxy, Tata Power and the like.
Incidentally, a feature of the programme is that no foreign placement is allowed.

can anyone suggest about the program

Hi,
This is Gaurav. One of the PGPEX VLM 2nd Batch Student in IIMC. As far as the course is concerned, it is well made for engineers. More over B.Tech + MBA is a great combination. The programme is specially designed in consultation with CII. It is evident from the fact that placements were great for the first batch were great. The industry has responded well to the programme.
Its a three stage elimination process followed for admissions. Probably the process for the next batch will start from feb'09.

Regards
Gaurav

hi gaurav,
thanx for the response. first time when the program started the examination was conducted by IIM-C and this year the examination was conducted by IIT-K.... next time who will conduct the exams?

also i heard that program will be starting from april... i.e. before u all will complete the course, is it so?

thanx.

hi gaurav,
thanx for the response. first time when the program started the examination was conducted by IIM-C and this year the examination was conducted by IIT-K.... next time who will conduct the exams?

also i heard that program will be starting from april... i.e. before u all will complete the course, is it so?

thanx.

Dear,
This time admissions will be conducted by IIT Madras. All three institutes conduct the admissions by turn every year.
Regarding the session next year, Yes u r right they will start from april 09, that is I guess mainly they are clubbing it with normal PGP @ IIMC.

Regards
Gaurav

hi gaurav,
when r they going to start the third batch for this program? i have also heard that all the admission formalities will be done by IIM-C from this year onwards.
how come this program has so many partners like JICA, NMCC, IIT-K and IIT-M? what role they r playing?

Dear Gaurav,
I have been following the PGPEX-VLMP course for past one year. Thanks for government taking some steps to finally bring manufacturing back on track.My question is that I have four and half years experience and am eligible for applying for this course. I may be sent reply immediately so that I can apply for the forthcoming batch.
Waiting for reply sir,
Thank you,
Pandu

Dear ,
Plz vist the following thread for details, the minimum requirement is B.Tech + 5 yrs exp in manufacturing sector...rest of the details can found from this thread....

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/international-indian-mba-schools-accepting/35882-iim-c-launches-3rd-batch.html#post1288910

Plz reply if u require any further clarification..

Regards
Gaurav

Hi gaurav,
I want to know more about aptitude test conducted for entrance.

Dear seniors,
We know the min (5 yrs) & max (10 yrs) work exp is the eligibility.
But does apprentice training will count in work exp. I'm 2003 graduate. I did apprentice training in April 2004 - Mar'05 and since Mar'05 to till date i'm worked with cement and automotive manufacturing industry. so what should be my work exp? shall my total work exp will include apprentice training of 1 yr or it will exclude because while applying to new job, recruiters doesn't count apprentice training as work exp. please reply?

Hii.. Today shortling date for IIMC vlm course had to disclose, but it's not showing on IIMC website nor I got any email... Can anyone help me how to find result?