IIM Calcutta GD/PI experiences for 2007-2009 batch

The GD/PI process for *IIM Calcutta, *oldest IIM and one of the most prestigious management institute in Asia has started all over India today. Please start pouring in your experiences. Some trivia about IIMC Noted alumni of IIMC: - Ajit Bal…

The GD/PI process for IIM Calcutta, oldest IIM and one of the most prestigious management institute in Asia has started all over India today. Please start pouring in your experiences.
Some trivia about IIMC
Noted alumni of IIMC: -
Ajit Balakrishnan - Founder and CEO of Rediff.com
Arvind Bhambri (1975) - Assoc. Professor in Management and Organization,
Indra Nooyi- Chairman and CEO, Pepsi Co
Krishna Palepu - Professor, HBS.
Mohanbir Sawhney - McCormick Tribune Professor of Technology, Kellogg School of Management
For Placement Reports of IIMC 2005-2007 batch visit http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-calcutta-final-placements-2007-25021644
Also visit http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-calcutta-alumnus-enters-guiness-book-of-world-records-25021284
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please follow this format while posting GD/PI Experiences for the benefit of everyone concerned.
Venue: Delhi/Bangalore/Ahmedabad/Calcutta/Other

PROFILE:

Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years - Country

CAT %ile:
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate

Any other special thing abt u:

GD:
Topic:
Number of Ppl present
Time:
Brief Snapshot of Discussion:
Other Salient Details: As whether summary was asked to be written or not, Time given, and other stuff.

PI:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:

MISC.
Any other relevant detail like they r checking certis, taking attested copies or else.

From What I know till now I think IIMC has finally changed its GD to a case based GD! A good sign as far as I can see. Confirmations from today's candidates required 😃 Make sure you write about your experience here. It would be of great help to this batch as well as the coming batches who aspire for IIMC. Make your small contribution and share your thoughts!

Good Luck to all. Stay Calm and try to enjoy the IIMC GDPI experience.

K

From What I know till now I think IIMC has finally changed its GD to a case based GD! A good sign as far as I can see.
K

That would be great if it is true. I think case based GD is much better than a fish market abstract GD though I am good at abstract topics .

DG, can you confirm this? I ve mine tomorrow in Bangalore.

Reg,
Surya

hey ppl this is my first post om pagal.. thght its tiem to give back ..
anwayz iim calcutta 1st day 1st slot 1st panel 1st person (same case in ahmedabad)

so here goes nothing ..

name : sharad kabra
X : 91.6
XII : 87.2
college : 82 %

no work ex

cat %s
quant: 99.9 something
va : 99
di : 99. somthing
overall : 99.96

GD: Twas a case study .. some bpo firm got lots of projects.. recently upgraded to KPO .. hired so and so number of young CA graduates and software professionals.. do well.. get more projects.. hire more ppl.. suddenly outta the blue 10 CAs and a similar no. of software engs quit.
discuss long term solutions for this attrition problem.

very ok sorts discussion.. calm .. no1 had many points.. they said they wud give 1 min to think but actually gace around 4-5 mins i think. sufficient time to put your points.. asked to summarize.. i was the first.. (AGAIN!) and babbled something for a few seconds and gave up..
all in all pretty average gd for the entire group.. noone stood out.

PI:
very cool professors P1 , P2 and P3

firstly they tried to calm me .. asked about my CPI system in college.. i mentioned i was in the top 15%..
P3: ok so u were in the top 15%.. tell me your percentile

P2: (for good measure) assume there are 50 ppl in ur class (which wasnt needed)

P3: so ur saying ur in 15% right??

moi: wat the fk.. P3 asked me percentile i think..

P2: oh yes yes go on tell me ur percentile..

moi: il need tiem to work it out... (i was thinking of that 50 figure!!! ) dunno y freaked out..

P2: why are u tensed.. jsut think.. its pretty simple..
moi: (finally got it) sir 85..

(smiles all around)

P2: ok tell me something about yourself .. your family background .. your education..

moi : my granddad did this and that.. my father maa blah blah..

P1 : oh your grandfather is Brijbhushan Kabra!! (hes a real popular guitarist.. was hoping panel would know about him )

moi: (all swelled up with pride ).. yup~!!! (ant mein daddu kiske hain!! )

P2: so didnt u grandfaher insist you go in to music??

moi: some philosophy of my very own DADDU.!!

P3: ok so tell me something abt yourself now.. (enugh daddu stuff)

moi: my education this that .. my interests... yip yap

P2: asked about how passionate i was about basketball)

moi: very!!! and some examples...

P2: with so many interests where do you find time to study

moi : (self righteous pompous adage) there is ALWAYS time... hahahahaha

(all smiles all around .. must be thinking haan bacche aa jaa batate hain tujhe kitna time hota hai)

P3 (abrupt) : so what about cheating in school>?

moi: WHATTA... wat do i do about it? i know ppl cheat at school.. wat do i say??

P3 : hmm did u ever get an opportunity to cheat??

moi: cheating is damn simple.. u dont need an opportunity.. but i have never cheated..
(they must be wondering how i know cheating is so simple then, so for good measure i added that plenty of ppl arnd me cheat)

P3: so wat if some1 tried to cheat from u in the exam.. \

moi: well i wont let him.. but im not going to go off to the teacher or anything.... :S (mana fresher hain par 10 saal ke bacche thodi naa hain)

P3: what if threatened you with a weapon...

moi: (WHUH!!) well then i wud let him cheat!! he looks like hes mentally unstable.. he might use the weapon on me next!!!

P3: mentally unstable???

moi: ya as of the moment he must be to be so desperate to threated for an exam!!

(hmms and acknowledges all arnd)

P1: so tell me what do you think of copying of ideas??

moi: i dont think its wrong as long as noone is getting negatively affected due to it... copying of ideas is actually requred.. thats how ideas spread ..

P1: so what do you think of plagiarism

moi: plagiarism negatively affects a person... its not "ethical" copying

P3: hmm suppose some author is dead and another copies from him.. then??
moi: (kyun gade murde ukhaad rahe ho) .. well .. thats wrong because it would negatively affect the environment.. this is not something which is good for the society ( ya i tend to think macroscopic :p)

(agreements all round)

P1 : talks about patenting.. whether thats correct..
moi: smthing smthing

P1: informed me abt some recent development in the pharmaceutical field in india... smthing abt patenting the process of manufacturing of drugs... what effect does it have.. say in cases like HIV...

moi: well when lives of ppl are at stake for the profit of some company.. let the company go to hell!! give them some compensation.. but violate all this nonsense legislation..

P2: so do you know abt stuff going on in this field ( i had been nodding pretty vigorously all the time... put it to me having read that article a week back)

moi: no sir.. i know whats in the news but otherwise nothing..

(nods all round again... )

P2: do u have any questions??

moi: what is this PGDM and PGDCM bullshit.. no1 seems to know!!

(entire panel looks at each other.. puzzled?? amused?? )

they: so what do u think is the difference?? expand PGDCM ..

moi: ?? didnt know the expansion.. !!! kaise na kaise post graduate degree in computer management nikla...

( ??? looks on their faces..)

moi: ok its not computers something else..

P2: tell me the best place to look for this information..

moi: ur website!!

P1: so have u looked..

moi: (jhooth bolna pada) yup.. but still from what i know theres no major difference on the field)

(Was thinking abt this time wat a fool i was to bring this question up)

P1: well the industry preception is the same.. blah blah (basically the same thing written on the site)

moi : (nodding yes so thats it!!) thank you sir ( just wanted to get the hell outta there before i commit suicide again.,... those ppl wud be firm believers in euthanasia i sure)

P1: oh and ya give my regards to your daddu....

moi: sure sir.. (waiting for his name.. .)

P1: just say a professor from iim cal said hi..

thats it then.,,, give ur feedback ppl.. whew that was long.. mother of all posts.. :smilecol:

Your interview look good. Keep your fingers crossed.

Is the case study patter followed in all panels? How many people were in a panel.

GD: Twas a case study .. some bpo firm got lots of projects.. recently upgraded to KPO .. hired so and so number of young CA graduates and software professionals.. do well.. get more projects.. hire more ppl.. suddenly outta the blue 10 CAs and a similar no. of software engs quit.
discuss long term solutions for this attrition problem.

Hey Sharad,

Please give more info about the pattern of the GD as it is new this time.

Reg,
Surya
anwayz iim calcutta 1st day 1st slot 1st panel 1st person (same case in ahmedabad)

P1: just say a professor from iim cal said hi..

things look gr8 at the look of it...dont forget 2 treat yr daddu after you get through!
Hey Sharad,

Please give more info about the pattern of the GD as it is new this time.

Reg,
Surya

yes it is a case based GD.. i had it in chennai today morning.. n i had the same topic as scarecrow!! wil post my experience soon...

they give 3 min to read the case.. 12 min to discuss(though more time was actually given).. and then 1 min to each to summarize.. u can either summarize the discussion or give your own views..

There were 9 students and 3 profs..

any other doubt regarding gd??

well .. there about 9 people.. they called the discussion a business study.. pretty much like any case study.. ntn all that new..
cooler gdpis than bangalore.. just know abt what u want to talk about.. theyl take care of the rest 😃

Ashish and Sharad,

Thanks a ton.
Other puys having i/vs today...try to mention the names of panelists if you come to know.

Bangalore guys....where art thou?

Surya

Ashish and Sharad,

Thanks a ton.
Other puys having i/vs today...try to mention the names of panelists if you come to know.

Bangalore guys....where art thou?

Surya

wil do that..

bangalore and delhi guys.. can someone plz give us the info as to how many took up ATM(for PGDCM) in your respective centres?

Till now the stats are: Chennai -11 , Kolkata ~ 30 , Mumbai ~ 30. Total ~70.

So the info you provide would be very useful to determine our chances!! Thanks.. n i kno there is a separate thread for PGDCM.. sorry for posting here.

who were the panelist in Delhi ????? someone pls chip in....

As per the green mod's intructions i am posting my exp here 😞

IIMC has finally moved away from an abstract GD to a business scenario one....

Name : Mridul Muralidharan
X : 85
XII : 85.4
B.Tech : 7.23 (CGPA)

Work ex: almost 2 years in IT

CAT
quant: 97.44
va : 97.14
di : 97.82
overall : 99.26

GD:
9 members
3 panellists

Business Scenario

Cyber Guru is a BPO which started off in 2003....It has grown to be a well known company and recently got 3 new projects....Have a small team of CAs in it panel...
Recently it faced a crisis and 10 of the CAs put in its papers...The CEO is in a fix

What should small companies with such attrition and retention issues do???

Moi started the GD...was a peaceful one...well structured...came in a couple of times...was asked to summarise in a random order in the end...Pretty decent performance from my side

Interview
Was the 8th to enter

P1: (Couldn't identify him from the faculty profiles)...might be an alumnus
P2: B. N. Srivastava
P3: Biju Paul Abraham

P1 started asking me about myself and why management, was my starting the GD a preplanned one......handled it quite okay i think
P2 asked me whether I was a thinker or doer, about photography, inflation(went on for some time...), again why management, developed countries in asia, which are the south east asian countries...moi didn't handle this well...
P3 didn't ask anything except for an occasional comment and raising his eyebrows at some of the answers given be me

Overall not a satisfactory interview....Could have done much much much better....went on for around 15 mins....the shortest in the panel....

Mridul

All of you please post your experiences here http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-calcutta-gd-pi-experiences-2007-09-25021772, which was opened way earlier :)

Mridul

Sorry Mridul,

I did not see your thread while opening this one. In fact, there was one other by anand5. Probably because you spelled it as 2007-09 and not 2007-2009.:neutral:. And I did not take enuf pains..

Anyways, mods can merge these threads if possible.. Also this one can be locked and contents transferred over there... Mebbe a PM will have to be dropped to Mahip.. U take care of that.. And inform me so that i can change the link in the sticky thread..

has any interview dealt with acads?

Hey Mridul,

I think you had a very decent PI. Let us know how many panels were there.

Surya

Hey Mridul,

I think you had a very decent PI. Let us know how many panels were there.

Surya

There was only one panel in chennai!

had my IIMC GDPI today.same case as the one mridul mentioned(same group infact:))
will post my PI experiences soon.
and regarding the acads questions,there were hardly any asked by the panel at chennai.
ATB to everyone attending the interviews

had my IIMC GDPI today.same topic as the one mridul mentioned(same group infact:))
will post my PI experiences soon.
and regarding the acads questions,there were hardly any asked by the panel at chennai.
ATB to everyone attending the interviews

it was a case and not a GD... so IIMC finally goes the iimA way!!
anyways what bout summary?? any oral or written summary required??