IIM Calcutta 2012 Criteria- "No" to mediocre?

So Finally IIM calcutta,popular IIM among mediocre category has revealed short listing criteria of 2012-2014. mediocre students got little bit disappointed with this IIM’s criteria. Hitherto IIM C had been only hope for mediocre brethren till last…

So Finally IIM calcutta,popular IIM among mediocre category has revealed short listing criteria of 2012-2014. mediocre students got little bit disappointed with this IIM's criteria. Hitherto IIM C had been only hope for mediocre brethren till last some years. After IIMA started to give more weightage to Academic performance, All other IIMs were also following A's policy to give major weightage to academic peformace except IIM C. But now time has changed. now IIMc has also decided to give 20% weightage to academic performance.
80% to CAT,
10% to SSC,
10% to HSC..

So now minimum 70% would be needed both in SSC as well as in HSC to get short listed for GD/PI at IIMC.
So it seems that many 99 percentile getters will move forward to MDI, SPJAIN, NITIE and other Prestigious non IIMs.
XLRI and FMS is also not bad deal at all as XLRI has highest base of CEO alumni...

thats very sad man!

i want to raise two points here

1. IIM-C did only consider CAT scores till now but that doesn't mean that it catered to mediocre category students. Getting a 99.6+ percentile in CAT and then clearing the interview process i think ensures that you are not mediocre.

2. This year also they have given very less weight-age to academics and for percentages above 81 you get full marks. so i think in academics their criteria is very generous, as getting 81% in 10th or 12th is not that big a deal. the CAT score will still be the deciding factor.

1. IIM-C did only consider CAT scores till now but that doesn't mean that it catered to mediocre category students. Getting a 99.6+ percentile in CAT and then clearing the interview process i think ensures that you are not mediocre.

2. This year also they have given very less weight-age to academics and for percentages above 81 you get full marks. so i think in academics their criteria is very generous, as getting 81% in 10th or 12th is not that big a deal. the CAT score will still be the deciding factor.

Ya right.. but now atleast those students who have marks between 70-80 in 10th as well as in 12th , and want to apply to IIMC .. they must have to achieve upto 99.6 percentile to get in IIMC..

Do not open new thread, use below thread:
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/shortlisting-criteria-2011-25070278

Tarun, I think mediocreroxx was only referring to the introduction of considerably higher weight-age to academics as a criterion by IIM-C (as opposed to the minimum 50% stipulated by all IIMs). 'Mediocrity' as a term simply can't be quantified. Does one get classified under it just on the basis of their high school examination score being below 80%? Or does one really step out of it because they have managed to secure over 99.6%ile? In my opinion, no exam in the world can bracket you into a particular order of intelligence quotient. 😃

Please continue here http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/shortlisting-criteria-2011-25070278

Please avoid opening new threads if a thread is already existing for the same purpose. Please use search option in home page to find the same.

Thanks.