IIM Ahmedabad Summers 2007

Howdy Guys !!! Last to join the bandwagon…but worth the wait definitely ! I really wont go into any “IIMA is the best” marketing. Now that the placements are over, I am finally allowed to write about it here and give details. So Heres th…

Howdy Guys !!!

Last to join the bandwagon....but worth the wait definitely ! I really wont go into any "IIMA is the best" marketing. Now that the placements are over, I am finally allowed to write about it here and give details.
So Heres the placement snippet from todays TOI :

110 out of 246 students bagged international placements
For the first time, international companies attended all three two-day phases of placements

Indian companies offering over Rs 1 lakh per month

A plum summer job in international cities like New York, Boston or London, with a pay packet of more than Rs 3 lakh every month. Its not a dream, just one of the choices you get if youre a student of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
With no less than 110 among the 246-strong 2006-08 batch of IIM-A students getting international summer placements as the event concluded on Thursday, these managers surely are going places.
It was also the first time that foreign companies thronged the campus during all the three two-day phases of summer placements. Top international finance and consulting firms like Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, Lehman Brothers, Citigroup and Barclays were the main players wooing the students for the two-month-long summer placements. Topping the list of recruiters was Lehman Brothers with 17 acceptances. Merrill Lynch got 10, JP Morgan and Barclays had 11 each, and the Citigroup got 9.
The day one recorded a 60 per cent jump in international placement offers. To top it, the positions being offered at the entry level too have been getting better. For example, Deutsche Bank, Lehman Brothers and Barclays Capital recruited IIM-A students for associate positions.
On the other hand, Indian companies made an appearance in the second phase that kicked off on November 13, but could recruit only around 20 students even after offering over Rs 1 lakh a month.
Among the remaining students, 40 went to consultation firms and 35 to the marketing sector that had players like Hindustan Lever Limited,
Procter and Gamble, Marico and Asian Paints among others. Information Technology sector attracted 18 students. Eleven investment banks netted 82 students and 7 consulting firms recruited 26 students. But then, there were students who chose to swim upstream with Neela Nageshwar Vittal planning to join a start-up company in Bangalore and P Song Lal Khaul, who is eager to work for an NGO in north-east India during the summers. Khaul says: I want to work for a worthy social cause.

PS: Theres a typo in the report...Meryll actually took 14.

Its a short and sweet report...Will post more reports if i get my hands on them.

And as for me :)

Me going to BCG, Boston Consulting Group.

Had foreign offers from Morgan Stanley (Hong Kong) (Informal) and DPWN (Germany) (Official) but rejected both of them. I was not really interested in I- banks at all (funny, i know for an IIMA guy) and had always wanted to try out consults and hence BCG was kind of my dream company. :)

Location would be most probably Nariman Point, Mumbai. Might be Delhi as well...not sure as yet.

how many slot 0 (day zero) accepts...?

Had foreign offers from Morgan Stanley (Hong Kong) (Informal) and DPWN (Germany) (Official) but rejected both of them. I was not really interested in I- banks at all (funny, i know for an IIMA guy) and had always wanted to try out consults and hence BCG was kind of my dream company. :)

Location would be most probably Nariman Point, Mumbai. Might be Delhi as well...not sure as yet.

Hey Vinz, 😃 Great going! Congratulations on your dream job. Do well.

Gusshow WIMWI

Stealing shrikanthk's words :

WIMWI guys have BCG and McK as back-up options

hence BCG was kind of my dream company. :)

Heartiest Congratulations buddy!! 😃

Mumbai it shud be....will have a nice time spreading insanity

cheers!!
As expected excellent placements, Congratulations guys!:)

Heres the official Report from the Placement Committee of IIM-A:

IIM Ahmedabad Summer Internship Recruitments 2006

November 17th, Ahmedabad The summer recruitment process for the batch of 2006-08 was conducted between November 11th and 16th, and was divided among three slots, each lasting for two days.
IIMA retained its position as a preferred choice for recruiters worldwide, as a staggering 120 students (49% of the 246 students appearing for placements) got placed by the end of the much coveted Slot Zero of placements. 101 more students were placed by Slot One. A large percentage of the students (110 students out of 246) are going to international locations for their summer internships. (See Chart 1 for batch profile)
Elevation in job roles
Along with an unprecedented 60% increase in the number of Slot Zero offers (compared to 73 last year), there has been a substantial elevation in the roles being offered at entry level. Deutsche Bank, Lehman Brothers and Barclays Capital recruited for Associate positions, i.e. at par with Ivy League B-school grads.
Devashish Chakravarty, Coordinator of the Student Placement Committee, said, The elevation in roles is a natural extension of IIMAs reputation as a global brand, and its position as one of the best B-schools in the world.
Large numbers and exclusivity
The biggest recruiters on Slot Zero were Lehman Brothers (17), Merrill Lynch (14), JP Morgan (11), Barclays (11) and Citigroup (9). Slot Zero saw 25 companies on campus, which included 11 investment banks and 7 consulting firms. In Slot Zero, 82 students got placed in investment banks while 26 students opted for consulting firms. A number of the firms recruited exclusively in IIMA in addition to a few select B-Schools worldwide.
Sectors and Diversity
Faculty Chairperson for Placements, Prof. PK Sinha, says, The summer internship is a mandatory academic requirement wherein the student is able to gain relevant hands-on experience in a role of his/her interest. There is an increasingly wider choice of functions, responsibilities and geographies available for the students who are thus able to maximize their learning from the internship. The diversity across sectors has resulted in students getting greater choice amongst finance, consulting, marketing, IT, operations, general management and private equity firms. The international locations being offered for summer internships this year are New York, Boston, London, Brussels, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, among others.
A large number of companies made international offers across slots. Professor Bakul Dholakia, Director, IIMA said The consistency in the quality of students across the batch and across the Slots enabled the students to secure international placements even in Slot 1 and Slot 2..

The road less traveled changing trends
Of late, students at IIMA have shown an increased interest in starting their own business, or joining startup firms which would give them valuable exposure across functions, and higher levels of responsibility in a very short time. This year, based on student interest, a Startup Fair was organized for students on October 29th, in which about 40 first year students interacted with 5 startups and 2 venture capital firms (See Table 4 for details).
Raghavendra Reddy and Sourav Roy, members of the Placement Committee, said, The whole idea of the fair was to give the student adequate choice to make his career decisions and explore greater opportunities, and this is what sets us apart from other leading b-schools across the world.
Neela Nageshwar Vittal, a first year student, is planning to join a tech startup based out of Bangalore for summers. He says, I plan to start something of my own in the future, and summer internship is a good time for me to experiment and explore.
P Song Lal Khan Khual, another first year student who opted out of the formal process, plans to join an NGO in North-East India for the summers. He says, I always wanted to work for a meaningful social cause, and the internship will also help me understand the working of an NGO.

Yep....the above report was released in the afternoon to us !! Had gone for a movie...just came back and saw it :)

Adding the following details to it :

Slot
Students
Zero
One
Two
Total

Sector
Students
%
Finance
57%
Consulting
17%
Marketing
14%
IT
7%
Other
5%
Total

Thanx guys....We all will indeed spread insanity in mumbai, come this summer.

Rohit, really looking forward to meet u for the first time 😃

ahh... brilliant work sire 😃 dogbert consultacy service eh goody !! u still owe me ur IIM A party u know... !!! Time for a pune pg meet after summers methinks :)
all u wimwians goin to consults or banks kya !! not many goin to marketing ??

he he he...another lesson that copy paste doesnt always work....
and i still dont know why this thread doesnt have edit/delete options :)

Anyways, here it goes again :

Slotwise Acceptances

SLOT STUDENTS

0 120
1 101
2 25

Sector Wise Breakup

SECTOR STUDENTS %

Finance 139 57
Consulting 40 17
Marketing 35 14
IT 8 7
Others 14 5

Great summers!!! :)

The best part is when students get profiles of their own liking. Congrats!!!

Great summers!!! :)

The best part is when students get profiles of their own liking. Congrats!!!

Thanks!
I didnt get a summer of my liking 😞 I am going back to IT whereas I wanted to do something different. Doesn't matter nevertheless. Looking forward to the summer internship experience 😃

If politically ok, can some one mention about the number of offer/accepts for DB, GS and MS? Was MS hiring for HK only or other locations as well? Thanks in advance.