IIM admissions through GMAT

I am a final year Electronic Engineering student at a prominent university in the UK with a GMAT of 720, AWA 5.0 . I’ve consistently been in the top 2% of my class and was a research intern at Siemens Corporate Research this summer. I have a prett…

I am a final year Electronic Engineering student at a prominent university in the UK with a GMAT of 720, AWA 5.0 . I've consistently been in the top 2% of my class and was a research intern at Siemens Corporate Research this summer. I have a pretty good/varied extra curricular record- (National junior champion in a particular sport in a particular country, Captain/Member of three sports teams at school/university for several years, Chief Editor of the hall magazine and a stint of the student council as secretary). If it counts, I'm 21 and have spent my life in seven countries ( three years each !!) and am well versed in five languages. I'm keen on doing an MBA but would the lack of any work experience spell doom for my application or can I still be hopeful of an admit ? I'm planning on applying to IIM-A,B,C through the GMAT channel as well as ISB. What do you think are my chances ?
Just as a query, would you think it's worthwhile for me to even contemplate applying to a few MBA programs in the US, say Harvard or Stanford ? It's just that they say work experience is desirable, but not necessary.
Candid comments on both my queries please.

Thanks

any comments anyone ??? plz speak up.....

lefty Says
any comments anyone ??? plz speak up.....

Dear,
Most folks are sleeping at this time in India. If you are presently in U.K., do keep in mind the time difference of 5.30 hours before posting. You'll certainly get some response by the morning.

i get your point scorpio, but have ppl been sleeping non-stop since 1.5 days ?? :whatthat:

hey..ur gmat score is impressive....

but for applying to stanford..harvard, kellogs u have have a min of 2 yrs of relevant workex...though the avg work ex in these colleges is around 6-8 yrs....for mba in US relevant workex plays major role...how u have grown in ur career is important....infact in any international mba workex is of paramount importance....gmat score can be compromised if one has shown enterprenurship in personal growth....u can visit bschool sites for their respective criteria......also, do work in haste as u have said u r doing engg from a reputed uni...have a workex of at least 3-4 yrs then jump into management, then it wud make more sense to u.....

craziest_20: point taken, i more than agree that work-ex is crucial to make the most out of an MBA, but some schools do accept freshers, most notably MIT's Sloan School. I got this mail yesterday from the director of MBA admissions,MIT, as a response to a similar query sent to him.
Dear XXX,
Your background, as you have described it, sounds attractive and I would encourage you to apply. While the majority (~ 99%) of our applicants have at least 2 years of work experience, your profile would be competitive for the 1% who apply directly after undergraduation.

YYYY

So my point is it's rare, but not utterly impossible.
how about my chances at the IIM's ? Do they press for work experience as well ??

I think IIM - A PGPX ( thats the 1 yr program) for 2006 has already finalised its class. I'm giving my GMAT on Dec. 8.

Apart from applying to ISB for a 1 yr MBA which are the other good B'scools for 1 yr MBA in India in 2006 ??

XLRI ? Great lakes ?

Kumar

craziest_20: point taken, i more than agree that work-ex is crucial to make the most out of an MBA, but some schools do accept freshers, most notably MIT's Sloan School. I got this mail yesterday from the director of MBA admissions,MIT, as a response to a similar query sent to him.
Dear XXX,
Your background, as you have described it, sounds attractive and I would encourage you to apply. While the majority (~ 99%) of our applicants have at least 2 years of work experience, your profile would be competitive for the 1% who apply directly after undergraduation.

YYYY

So my point is it's rare, but not utterly impossible.
how about my chances at the IIM's ? Do they press for work experience as well ??

wow damn impressive profile . IIM's A,B,C wont press for work-experience infact about 50-55 % of the batch dont have work-exp . But ISB is similar to US B-School's . It requires min 2yrs exp but will take in students straight after undergraduation in exceptional cases . And mind you ISB's is a 1 yr MBA .

For ISB ave GMAT score is 690.For ave GMAT score for IIM's and all PM ne IIMite.

Hope it helps..

Hi deepu,
thanks for the encouraging reply and all the info.
hope to make it !!

Lefty,

yours is an impressive profile, no doubt. You can apply to IIM's regular two year PGP course through GMAT score. Check out IIMA website for more details.

My 2 cents.
Not sure if PGPX, ISB or any other 1 year course is ideally suited for you. I feel you might benefit a lot more from a 2 year course both from academics and business understanding point of view. The summer internship in a 2 year course will do no harm either.

If you wish to pursue your career in India immidiately after MBA then IIMs are a good choice. Else look for courses in US.

Cheers
Gulls

gulls,
i plan to apply oNLY for the PGP program at the IIM's and not PGPX. kumar81 digressed w/o reading my post carefully !!
I am more than eager to return to india and feel an MBA at the IIMs would be an ideal stepping stone to a good career in India.

lefty

Hi Lefty,

I did read ur post carefully but I did not have much idea abt the 2 yr MBA, hence i did not comment on it. But yes, a 2 yr MBA at the IIM - A,B,C is definitely preferable over ISB. I think other than ABC, ISB would be better as they follow the Harvard model of schooling.

I'm a CA with 4 yrs of experience (3 years - post graduation - B.Com; 1 year - post CA) and am looking for a 1 year MBA ( i think 2 yrs will be too much for me ) so wanted to know wat are the other options besides ISB. I checked the IIM-A PGPX and was surprised to see that the admissions were over so i posted a msg to c if anyone knows more abt 1 yr MBA programs

All the best Lefty

oops, sorry bout that kumar81 ! good luck on your GMAT.

Hey lefty,

Is the Official Guide 10th and 11th edition enuf for a good score in GMAT ?

Kumar,

Apart from PGPX ,ISB,XLRI and Great Lakes , SP Jain will start 1 year MBA program for the session of 2006-07. The admissions process has begun. The grapevine is that IIMB C are also starting a 1yr programs in 2007.

I have PGPX admit offer for the first batch of 2006. Happy to discuss further if you need any help.

Cheers
G

Hi Lefty,

I did read ur post carefully but I did not have much idea abt the 2 yr MBA, hence i did not comment on it. But yes, a 2 yr MBA at the IIM - A,B,C is definitely preferable over ISB. I think other than ABC, ISB would be better as they follow the Harvard model of schooling.

I'm a CA with 4 yrs of experience (3 years - post graduation - B.Com; 1 year - post CA) and am looking for a 1 year MBA ( i think 2 yrs will be too much for me ) so wanted to know wat are the other options besides ISB. I checked the IIM-A PGPX and was surprised to see that the admissions were over so i posted a msg to c if anyone knows more abt 1 yr MBA programs

All the best Lefty

kumar, I completely relied the 10th edition of the Official Guide and it sufficed ( for my definition of a good score-720) big time. So I'd suggest if you practice each and every question of all the sections on the book, you should be grand.
all the best!!

Hey lefty,

Is the Official Guide 10th and 11th edition enuf for a good score in GMAT ?

gulls,

I have a friend who is in dubai spjain - 1 yr program...u referring to the same one ? I don't think that it is good...

just met him some time back during Diwali and he wasn't too happy with it....yeah but it adds the MBA tag so its ok...and 1 yr....

IIMB on site says 1 yr mba in Singapore...dunno wat happened to that...not yet takeoff i guess...

so i guess ISB still comes to the best option for 2006 ...?

Kumar

Kumar,

No, this course is in India.

Cheers
G