IIM A Selection Criteria: A Review

Dear Puys, Hope you all are doing well! I hope you all are aware of the criteria for IIM A for last year. We understand IIM’s are constantly reviewing and changing their selection criterion in order to select the best candidates out of a…

Dear Puys,

Hope you all are doing well!

I hope you all are aware of the criteria for IIM A for last year. We understand IIM's are constantly reviewing and changing their selection criterion in order to select the best candidates out of a very talented pool.

But last year their were many deserving candidates who scored exceptionally well in CAT but missed out on call from IIM A just because of less marks in SSC and HSC.

We respect the criteria IIM A is following but I hope you all will agree that for those with slightly less HSC and SSC the dream of getting into IIM A (the most prestigious B school of India) will be over and CAT would just be a formality.

So I am planning to right a humble request letter to IIM A to look into the selection process and see that it is fair for everyone. I hope the people with excellent acads will also agree that skipping out excellent CAT scorers on the basis of 10 and 12 marks is not a very good practice.

Obviously candidates cant change their past but can definitely strive for a good future. I hope you all understand this point.

So I would appreciate your thoughts and would be glad if you all join in. All those who are willing please write their names and carry the chain forward:

1. Tarun Walia

Please use the following spreadsheet to add your names:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aph94RiMzPtpdC02dEdYbTRzbHdNZFlXMU9JY3NyOHc&hl;=en

Waiting for others to join.

Regards,

True

dat will b d best thing to happen if it really does... in 10th or even sometimes in 12th people frm small places don't even know what CAT or an IIM is.... :shocked:
also due to d entrances after 12th guys dont care about the percentage in 12th... so IIMs should be a little considerate.. i guess JOKA follows a good policy...
IIMA plz take notice..
it would be so nice of them.. what say puys...

@tarun
great initiative buddy
atleast you gave it a thought before CAT
last year many deserving people were left out of the race just because of their ssc-hsc marks
i strongly believe that they should disclose the criteria well before the exam
it will help one to understand where he lies and which colleges he fits into
rather than having false hope of getting into a b-school even with a great score
so you can count me in buddy

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh

@tarun
thats a gr8 initiative buddy.
infact criteria wise i think IIMC follows a decent rule,which the other IIM and specially IIMA do not follow.
although i respect their admission criteria but still, ppl genrally do not think of getting into any IIM during their SSC or HSC.
its a kind of weird rule and this shud not be the main criteria for getting into IIM atleast. coz last year many desrving candidates cud not get into the IIM due to this reason only. although i donno whether IIM wud listen to our calls. but still m with you tarun.

and all puys shud also join in for this cause.

so u can count me buddy...

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya.

I too agree with u all...
n not only IIMA, we may request others also.

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal...

I agree with you man.

Add me to the list..
Thanks to True Indian for starting this thread.:

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.

you r right future is in our hand but past is not. so what has happened shall not be given too much weight-age. If we can make our today better,our future will bring new dimension n color to our lives.

Count me in as well ..
1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua

Totally agree with u tarun.....so count me too...Selection on the basis of 10th n 12 th percentage is totally unjustified....Since marking system of all the boards in india are nt equal...Look at the M.P Board 10th result this year where hardly 30% students pass ..On the other side in C.B.S.E more than 9000 students got 90+ %age marks.....So until n unless all the boards don't follow the same marking scheme there is no means to distinguish guys on the basis of marks.........
One more point..CAT is so much popular among guys... since it give chance even a average guy to achieve big in its life....If IIM starts considering past performance ..then it will definitely shattered the dream of many gud students(who may nt have gud acads..bt they are gud in many ways)...

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua
7.Piyush Gupta

cheers.....

Puys thanks for the support and great response, I think it would b better if we add our details here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aph94RiMzPtpdC02dEdYbTRzbHdNZFlXMU9JY3NyOHc&hl;=en

True

@ tarun nice initiation by you:clap:
there are many students like me who never knew what cat was at that point of time. they are testing our skills trough cat , so it isnt so good to leave people with bad acads....hope this chain will continue and bring out a change...I extend my strong support.....
1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua
7.Piyush Gupta
8.Ravi Teja

I agree with you man, even though i got 90% above both in 10th and 12th i believe that students should be given a chance to improve and widen their horizons at any point in their life irrespective of their past academic record .Even GOD says if a man is truly repentant of his sins , he is on the path to atonement , thus GOD also gives everybody a second chance.Thus it's high time IIMA started doing so too.

Visit My blog :- http://footballmasala.blogspot.com/

Hi Puys!!! :-P

Yes...I totally agree with Tarun. It's truly a great initiative that he took.... Everybody did had this at the back of their minds, but still we didn't take this seriously. Its high time now.
Pagal Guy being being BEST Entrance Exams Brain-storming portal, I would like to grab this opportunity.
I'm unable to open the spreadsheet as of now, but don't worry...I'll do the needful soon...

Here I'm, adding myself too in the list:

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua
7.Piyush Gupta
8. Ravi Teja
9. Amrita Dey

CHEERS!!!
Amrita De

Hey puys

I believe these academic institutions are really misusing their autonomy to some extent.Anyway I am not against autonomy,but the thing is that they are based in India,then they have to take the basic reality into the mind.How can they expect a guy from bihar/up board to score 90+ in 10th,12th,where topper gets 79,80..When you know that there is not any single platform to judge the 10th,12th marks as they vary board to board,how can you take these marks into consideration.
It also shows that they donot have confidence in CAT.IIMA and IIMB both should rectify the lacuna this year to make their selection procedure impartial.
Thanks Tarun for taking the initiative.
Pagal Guy as the LARGEST Entrance Exams portal,would be the ideal platform to do so.
Here I'm, adding myself too in the list:

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua
7.Piyush Gupta
8. Ravi Teja
9. Amrita Dey
10.Ashish Choudhary

Cheers
Ashish Choudhary

A very good intiative Tarun, you have a very valid point dude. I am with you too
I am curently in office and the spreadsheet is not accessible here so for the time being adding my name in post. Will be increasing a row of spreadsheet too by the evening

1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua
7.Piyush Gupta
8. Ravi Teja
9. Amrita Dey
10.Ashish Choudhary
11. Randeep Singh

Dear Puys,

Hope you all are doing well!

I hope you all are aware of the criteria for IIM A for last year. We understand IIM's are constantly reviewing and changing their selection criterion in order to select the best candidates out of a very talented pool.

But last year their were many deserving candidates who scored exceptionally well in CAT but missed out on call from IIM A just because of less marks in SSC and HSC.

We respect the criteria IIM A is following but I hope you all will agree that for those with slightly less HSC and SSC the dream of getting into IIM A (the most prestigious B school of India) will be over and CAT would just be a formality.

So I am planning to right a humble request letter to IIM A to look into the selection process and see that it is fair for everyone. I hope the people with excellent acads will also agree that skipping out excellent CAT scorers on the basis of 10 and 12 marks is not a very good practice.

Obviously candidates cant change their past but can definitely strive for a good future. I hope you all understand this point.

So I would appreciate your thoughts and would be glad if you all join in. All those who are willing please write their names and carry the chain forward:

1. Tarun Walia

Please use the following spreadsheet to add your names:

Waiting for others to join.

Regards,

True

With all due repects all your personal feelings. I would say that IIMA( or even B ) for that matter is a deemed university, it has its own way of going abt things.

" many deserving candidates didnt get admission" well i think whoever IIMA thought as deserving(accng to their perspective) got it. Who are we to say who is deserving and who is not.

" see that it is fair to everyone" - why should it be fair to everyone. I personally feel that it should be completely skewed towards those potential managers. now who they think as potential managers is left to them.

And moreover before taking these decisions they'd have had hell lot of discussion. Probably there are many professors at iima who dont agree with this, but now that they've decided it, they'll not change just because some ppl( or even thousands) felt it is wrong.

My point is, there is no point in hitting our head against the wall. And CAT is taken by 2.5 lac students, how big can this list grow??Why create unnecessary hopes??

Even i dont have gr8 acads. so lets move on.

I totally agree... CAT is more about logical and intelligent thinking which are not even tested in SSC or HSC.

Is there any eligible score you need to have in SSC or HSC to sit in CAT??

I beilve if you have eligible score you should be treated equally.
:cheers:

A nice intiative to go ahead with. I agree that IIMA is the supreme body and have every right to float their criterias and select students. I also agree that they must have discusse it a lot as they also want to select the best out of talent pool. But my points are :

1) There is no harm in lobbying this criteria a little more. Nothing is full proof and lobbying makes it better only. Even the constitution has undergone many amendments. In this case IIMA profs had their say and now it's our turn. This wouldn't be showing disrespect to anybody, instead it reflects our managerial capabilities only.

2) The point that i most dislike (and everybody else here i guess) is the overemphasis on SSC and HSC marks. Clearly the differences is in percentages of various borads is an issue but let me add even in the same board this difference can be paramount. As everybody is aware that C.B.S.E is getting lenient by the day in their scoring which results in individual of same capacities but appaearing for exam in two different years ending up with substantial difference in their percentages. Perhaps a better idea would be (if possible) to calculate percentiles of board marks and use that data instead.

So count me in puys for this initiative.

@everybody who thinks it is just hitting our head against the wall - If we stop taking initiatives with the fear of faliure, this world won't get any better (No Offence)

NO COMMENTS...
I am with you all,,,,
1. Tarun Walia
2. Drabir Ghosh
3. Tamal Bhattacharya
4. Anshul Agrawal.
5. Varun Garg.
6. Siddhartha Ray Barua
7.Piyush Gupta
8. Ravi Teja
9. Amrita Dey
10.Ashish Choudhary