IIFT essay-GDPI preparation thread [2012-14 batch]

Hello all, Please use this thread to discuss about the preparation of the next stage of admission process. Ask your queries about the process here, and we will try and resolve them as much as we can. We will also provide some study material to s…

Hello all,
Please use this thread to discuss about the preparation of the next stage of admission process. Ask your queries about the process here, and we will try and resolve them as much as we can. We will also provide some study material to study from time to time.

All the best !!:)

The subsequent process will consist of-
Essay writing - You will be given a topic related to any current issue or any issue relevant to the social, political or economic situations. You will be given around 20 minutes for this stage of admission process.

Group Discussion - Group Discussion in IIFT is very unique. It goes on for around 45 minutes to 1 hour depending upon the panel. There are around 10 people in the group. Initially everyone will be given a chance to express his/her views on the topic for 2 minutes. After that the discussion will be made open for another 20-30 minutes. Not only this, you will also have to play the role of a moderator at some point of time. The sequence of getting to moderate the group is upto the discretion of the panel. While you are a moderator, you will have to make sure that the discussion is going in the right direction and there is no fish market.

Personal Interview - - The Personal Interview is for an overall personality assessment evaluating one's communication skills and general awareness. In interview, Questions are asked mainly from these three basic areas - Self based questions (around your personality, strengths, leadership skills etc.), Careers vision questions (short and long term vision, goal oriented etc.) and Knowledge based questions (Largely around your area of work and study and general awareness). The CV form that you will fill is also of a great importance. So write your answers carefully and honestly. Also start introspecting the questions like -
Why MBA?
Why IIFT?
Short term and long term objectives of life?
Why low academics? (for those who have low scores)
Why MBA after job? (for people with work-ex)
Why MBA after, lets say, computer science engineering? (for freshers)
etc etc.

Following are the links of last 2 year's essay and GDPI experience thread. Go through them to get an idea of the process-

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2011iift-gd-pi-essay-discussion-2011-2013-25062527
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iift-2010-2012-essay-gd-pi-experiences-25049744

Start filling your CV form, which I am attaching again with this post.

We have our end-term exams till 22nd Dec, so we might be late in responding for now.

Respected sir,
Thanks a lot for the thread.
Is this CV form the "official" one?
Do we need to fill it and mail it?

I have only 56.22% in my BE. What is the best possible answer to the "low scores" question?

1)My marks were quite good in the context of my college (DCE), one of the most competitive colleges in the country.
2)I have 97%ile in GATE (MTech entrance test that checks 4 yrs of engineering knowledge in MCQ format), which is not all that bad. Infact, I'm reasonably good in many of my core subjects, and am confident about any academic questions in the PI.

There is a question in the CV form "mention any 2 incidents where you showed team-building skills". I'm afraid the only leadership I have had was in class 2 when I was the group leader for a science project. (group of 4 ppl including me). Should this be mentioned?

Respected sir,
Thanks a lot for the thread.
Is this CV form the "official" one?
Do we need to fill it and mail it?

I have only 56.22% in my BE. What is the best possible answer to the "low scores" question?

1)My marks were quite good in the context of my college (DCE), one of the most competitive colleges in the country.
2)I have 97%ile in GATE (MTech entrance test that checks 4 yrs of engineering knowledge in MCQ format), which is not all that bad. Infact, I'm reasonably good in many of my core subjects, and am confident about any academic questions in the PI.

There is a question in the CV form "mention any 2 incidents where you showed team-building skills". I'm afraid the only leadership I have had was in class 2 when I was the group leader for a science project. (group of 4 ppl including me). Should this be mentioned?

The CV form is most likely gonna remain the same as the one that has been put up by Prince....u will receive the official CV form through post and email soon....a demo version of the same has been uploaded by us so that u all can think abt the answers against each of the questions and not fill it in a fizzy.... Once u receive the official form from IIFT, u will need to fill it and send it back to IIFT within the stipulated time that wud be mentioned...

Question regarding the BE % might crop up in the interview...u need to justify it to the panel , just the way u did it to us... dont worry much, u r coming from a good college....just be prepared with ur answer...

Dont mention stuff that u did in Class 2....I m pretty sure that as u said that u have been active in various extra-curriculars, there wud be a number of occasions when u worked in a team or mite have led them sometimes as well...bring forth the idea that u like working in a team,etc...

Hope dat helps...get back in case of any query...

Cheers
ayandas Says
I m pretty sure that as u said that u have been active in various extra-curriculars

Thanks for your timely and patient reply...
But I think I wasn't clear earlier..I have NO extra curriculars!:-(
My passions are literature,quizzing,computer gaming but I'm afraid I haven't been involved in many "group activities"...this is my main concern, besides the acads..
Thanks for your timely and patient reply...
But I think I wasn't clear earlier..I have NO extra curriculars!:-(
My passions are literature,quizzing,computer gaming but I'm afraid I haven't been involved in many "group activities"...this is my main concern, besides the acads..

You might have been involved in certain academic projects involving a group while doing your graduation. You can portray that project as the time when you realized the importance of team coordination and dynamics of working in a team. See everyone can't be good at everything. So while in an interview, you can always take the interviews to your strong areas, which is literature, quizzing in your case. Show them your passion about these activities !!
prince31jain Says
You might have been involved in certain academic projects involving a group while doing your graduation. Show them your passion about these activities !!

Senior I have sent u a PM can u tell me what should i do.... thanks in advance.
The subsequent process will consist of-
Essay writing - You will be given a topic related to any current issue or any issue relevant to the social, political or economic situations. You will be given around 20 minutes for this stage of admission process.

Group Discussion - Group Discussion in IIFT is very unique. It goes on for around 45 minutes to 1 hour depending upon the panel. There are around 10 people in the group. Initially everyone will be given a chance to express his/her views on the topic for 2 minutes. After that the discussion will be made open for another 20-30 minutes. Not only this, you will also have to play the role of a moderator at some point of time. The sequence of getting to moderate the group is upto the discretion of the panel. While you are a moderator, you will have to make sure that the discussion is going in the right direction and there is no fish market.

Personal Interview - - The Personal Interview is for an overall personality assessment evaluating one's communication skills and general awareness. In interview, Questions are asked mainly from these three basic areas - Self based questions (around your personality, strengths, leadership skills etc.), Careers vision questions (short and long term vision, goal oriented etc.) and Knowledge based questions (Largely around your area of work and study and general awareness). The CV form that you will fill is also of a great importance. So write your answers carefully and honestly. Also start introspecting the questions like -
Why MBA?
Why IIFT?
Short term and long term objectives of life?
Why low academics? (for those who have low scores)
Why MBA after job? (for people with work-ex)
Why MBA after, lets say, computer science engineering? (for freshers)
etc etc.

Following are the links of last 2 year's essay and GDPI experience thread. Go through them to get an idea of the process-

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-exams-xat-iift-irma/other-...-pi-essay.html (IIFT GD/PI/Essay Discussion 2011-2013)

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-exams-xat-iift-irma/other-...-essay-gd.html (IIFT Essay/GD/PI experiences)

Start filling your CV form, which I am attaching again with this post.

We have our end-term exams till 22nd Dec, so we might be late in responding for now.

Any suggestions for the Essay/GD topics?? The links posted are not accessible. Please see. thanks in advance..

@IIFTseniors-
can you please let us know all the sources that we should cover before appearing for the next processes.
Also, please suggest which magazines/ newspapers would be of help to us.

Thanks for the help.

@IIFT seniors

Can u also please suggest the kind of profile a student should project in order to maximise his/her chances of converting the call??

@IIFTseniors-
can you please let us know all the sources that we should cover before appearing for the next processes.
Also, please suggest which magazines/ newspapers would be of help to us.

Thanks for the help.

You should regularly spend 2-3 hours daily from now on reading newspaper. You should read Hindu editorial and Economic Times. Even if you do not understand everything in ET, you should at least glance through the headlines. Online versions of newspapers will also do. Apart from this, stay updated with all the current affairs by reading a newspaper like TOI. Form your opinion about the events, counter those opinions yourself, and come up with counter arguments to have different perspectives.

Also you should have some basic idea about the economic terms like GDP, balance of payment, trade balance, budget deficit, inflation, CPI, WPI etc. You should also be aware of the current repo rate, reverse repo rate, CRR and SLR. Go through the wikipedia pages of WTO, IMF, World Bank etc. Read about the data related to India's exports and imports, goods exported, goods imported, major countries where India exports, major countries from where India imports etc.

This is all what I remember as of now. If I recollect any other important point, I will post it later. 😃
@IIFT seniors

Can u also please suggest the kind of profile a student should project in order to maximise his/her chances of converting the call??

You need not do anything out of the box to convert your call. Just be honest, and put forward your points in a very lucid manner. Whatever your background is, link it with what you want to do ahead in life. Always try and project what you actually are and not form your answers on the basis of what interviewer wants to hear. They want people who are passionate enough and have shown that passion in whatever they have done before. Guide your interview by highlighting your strengths. Read the following article. It will help you.

A definitive guide to IIFT GD-PI Preparation

I wanted to ask that after the topic of GD is given, do they give us some time to think over the topic and write down the points ? (and yeah any pad to actually 'write' down the points? ) or is it like "you topic is . Person A, start ! "

bapuG Says
I wanted to ask that after the topic of GD is given, do they give us some time to think over the topic and write down the points ? (and yeah any pad to actually 'write' down the points? ) or is it like "you topic is . Person A, start ! "

Yes after they tell you the topic, you will get 2 minutes to jot down your points. After that they can start either sequentially or randomly, depending upon the panel.

Hi Puys,

i found the following to be useful to accustom ourselves with the widely used "Financial Terms" or Trade Terms.

These links are just to provide a jump start and by any means are not the complete source of information. One should research as much as possible to increase knowledge database.

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/~wei/teaching/glossary.pdf
what is foreign exchange?

Hi, i have recenlty shifted to Noida from Chennai and want to join TIME and IMS GD PI Classes for IIFT. Please suggest the best center for both institutes in NCR. I heard for TIME, Rajendar Place is the best.

Hello seniors

In particular I have never thought of my goals. But still I know, what is my long term goal.

But short term goals........I am confused....what could be my short term goals and what does a short term actually signifies..........the Goals with in 2-3 years ?

Hello seniors

In particular I have never thought of my goals. But still I know, what is my long term goal.

But short term goals........I am confused....what could be my short term goals and what does a short term actually signifies..........the Goals with in 2-3 years ?

Yes, by short term goals...it means where do u see urself in next 2-3 years time....Long term goals cud be something after 5 years
ayandas Says
Yes, by short term goals...it means where do u see urself in next 2-3 years time....Long term goals cud be something after 5 years

Something after 5 years would be mid-term goals.

I think long term goal would be after 10+ years. Something which we eventually want for ourselves, similar to what Vision is for an organization.
5 years form now, we aspirants would be of age in the range of 28-30 years. Reaching long term career goal by then would be commendable but to a certain extent unachievable.

Eg: Long term goal could be becoming a CEO or owning a successful venture. In short term we will set the grounds for our long term goal, in middle term we would have ensured a kind of path, travelling which we would eventually attain the long term goal.

P.S. thoda philosophical ho gaya.... :banghead: