IIFT (2006-2008) GDPI Experience & Analysis.

Hi guys, IIFT GDPIs have started n I am very anxious to know ur experiences…:satisfie: Please give your inputs here so that it can help people like me who are giving it at a later date… Thanks…

Hi guys,

IIFT GDPIs have started n I am very anxious to know ur experiences...:satisfie:

Please give your inputs here so that it can help people like me who are giving it at a later date...

Thanks...

had my gd/interview at coffee board bangalore 9.30 am
total candidates 24-25
initially we were asked to write a essay - duration about 20 min
topic- morality and consumerism

after that the group was spilt into 2 grps.
each grp had 2 iift profs..
the topic for the gd was "fdi in retail" for both the grps and it was held simultaneoulsy in diff rooms
duration of the gd 1 hour:wow:

first each of the participants are asked to speak on the topic for a min and a half.
after that each person is supposed to act as the moderator and moderate the gd for a duration of 3 min..moderate means to basically just control the flow of the discussion
initially after every 3 minthey intervened and said that the next guy is the mod but after about 4 people when they real;ised that guys werent still managing time themselves, they bought a buzzer and just kept shifting it to the front of each person after a while..which basically means ur time as the mod starts
for the interviews the panels are swapped.so that they arent prejudiced by anyone s gd performances ( their own words)

each interview was taking about 15 to max 20 min..
our grp had 11 boys ( all engineers) and one gal ( bbm)
my interview was in the afternoon..
panel 3 people..all males..
the questions asked to me were..
1. why am i not working now ( had resigned for cat)
2. what about my cat results.
mentioned i had 2 calls..they said what is the proof:wow: and that i could be trying to show of.( all this was in a pretty cordial way)
told them that alli could do was give them my cat reg no:)

3. why a sudden dip in acads in btech:satisfie:
4. any dream company or sector u wanna work in
5. whta is an atomiser ( i am a mech engg)
6. what is gravity ..whats is acceleration..diff ..silly q i know but i think i kinda fumbled in teh difference part!!!1:neutral:
7. looked into my form and asked me about my stated career objectives, whether i was willing to work in a psu etc
8. what will i do if they dont take me..

that was about it for me..
for all teh others to the interview was a pretty cordial affair.
qs ranging from why mba, why iift, why do u wanna do mba after enginering etc..

for some reason they kept tellinga lot of poeple when they entered that they thought they were very bright ..well everybody said " thank u "

well all in all everyone was left with no particular feelings..for it was almost the same exp for all..
jidesh

had my gd/interview at coffee board bangalore 9.30 am
total candidates 24-25

Thanks a lot buddy for taking out your time to share your experience...

I hav some questions...

1.) Did they emphasise too much on the written form that we had sent... N to what extent did they grill you..

2.) You said you were asked technical questions.. How much experience did u have... I have exp of 20 months... Shud I prepare the technical stuff...

3.) Did they ask for your degree, experience n Extra curricular certificates for verifications..

4.) What else do we have to go there with...

Best of luck for the Final results....
Just got back home from the IIFT GD/PI!
Well, heres my experience.
9:30 AM got to wtc just in the nick of time!
Two guys (one bald and the other normal) announced names:
There were 3 batches.
ESSAY Writing begins: TOPIC: MORALITY AND CONSUMERISM.
Scribbled kuchbhee!
20 minutes later, the paper was snatched.
GD: Topic: FDI in Retail, is it good for the Indian economy
There were 2 rounds to the GD:
Round 1: Participants were asked to give their views on the topic.
But in my pool most of the jokers started like this
FDI is good for retail..
SO I gave the FDI definition and basic introduction..
Most of the guys overshot the time period
Round 2: Free for all discussion, with each guy playing moderator for 3 minutes.
I was really lucky to have a fish market type GD, and on top of it 3-4 losers were belligerently putting forth their points.
Entered 10-15 times in the GD, pitched in with the structure
OVERall a very long and boring experience!
TEA AND SNACKS
My PI @ 3 PM (Man: M, Lady 1: L1, Lady 2: L2)
L1: Introduce urself.
A: Blah.
L1: What are u doing rite now?
A: Working
L1: What do you do @ CL (my workplace)?
A: Blah.
L1: Y did you leave ur ex-job?
A: Blah
M: What other calls do you have?
M: You had many other job options, but y didnt u join in those places.
L2: Since u are in mkting, y an mba in mkting?
Blah. Also explained about my love for autos and the need to know abt mkting for setting up my own ancillary unit and .
L1: What are the major ancillary units in India and how are they performing?
A: Sona, Bforge.Sundaram clayton wh/ won the deming, extremely competitive, and good quality of .
L1: What do you think ails the India auto ancillary industry?
A: Small scale production, gave GMs halol plants example as to how difficult it is to find makers for the scale of their production, gave taveras eg. Also told em abt the avg size of auto ancill.. industry in India. Labour problems (Toyota-Kirloskar Lockout)
L1: What do you think is the need of pursuing MBA (IB) for setting up ur own auto ancillary unit?
A: Gave them a nice explanation regarding the global nature of the market, subjects like International Marketing, International Brand Management. Wh/ would help understand the nature of the international competitors.
M: Name some latest advances in the field of Autos
A: CRDI, VVTI, eMPFI.
M: These are quite old technologies, name some new ones.
A: Well the latest advances are used in F1 engines, told abt the aerodynamic design aspects of the new cars of Ferrari, Williams, Renault.
M: (Cutting me short) name the ones wh/ are currently in use
A: eMPFI, CRDI, VVTI,.. the other advances are in test & are not marketed.
M: What is a hybrid car?
A: electric + fuel drive gave toyatas example
M: Name Toyotas hybrid car?
A: dont know.:(
M: Detroit auto expo?
A: Im not aware of any specific developments in it:(
M: Have u heard of a company in blore wh/ manufactures a car running on a different energy source?
A: Reva, I spoke a lot about it
M: Y isnt it successful.
A: Poor mkting..
L1: What do you think of the Ktaka debacle?
A: Gave details abt Gowda Issue, dharma singh resignation (Family problem resulting in Govt Toppling!).
L1: Your views on it
A: Political instability and bad governance practices.
M: What is political instability?
A: Ability of a govt to fulfill its term and quota of promises.
M: Isnt that dictatorship?
A: Govts are elected because the candidates make certain promises, they must fulfill those promises while in power (it is the ppl who want the issues tackled, so it is a democracy).
L1:What are your views on the politicians being appointed governers?
A: Buta issue, jharkhand debacle,.
M: Is it only bihar and jharkhand?
A: A similar but less significant incident also occoured in Goa (parrikar issue).
L1: Who do u think should be appointed as governers?
A: Unbiased, senior administrators.
M: What if you arent selected this time?
A: Will gain experience in an automobile firm and try to achieve my goal.
ATB to you all

I hav some questions...

1.) Did they emphasise too much on the written form that we had sent... N to what extent did they grill you..

2.) You said you were asked technical questions.. How much experience did u have... I have exp of 20 months... Shud I prepare the technical stuff...

3.) Did they ask for your degree, experience n Extra curricular certificates for verifications..

4.) What else do we have to go there with...

1. not much was asked on teh written form though everybody in the panel was going thru it in detail. atmost 2 or 3 q from it thats all. no grilling.
2. i have 9 months work exp. and well there were guys with lesser work exp who werent asked anything tech, people with 2 yrs exp who had a pure hr interview so really cant say...but a few were asked about teh project they work in about their clients etc ( out of the 11 almost all were software guys )

3. no verification of any sort was done. even though all had their certis with them none wre asked.

4. nothing mor ethat u need. take a notepad along for the gd..they dont give any paper
dress except for a guy with a suit everyone was in normal formas ( ties included) ..

gd s i guess are gonna be knowledge based..and in all prob eco related.so do look up whats hap recently..for this fdi in retail thing is just about a week old!!

atb to the others who are yet to have the gd/pi
jidesh

Thanks Jidesh n Vivekanands.
Seems that both of u were in the same grp... :smile:

Thanks a lot once again...

hi vivekanand
how long did ur iview last?
were all the workex guys grilled in tech or were asked bout their job?
were u asked q's frm the form?
finally how long did the gds last n were all batches given same topic?
i have my gd/pi on 31st at wtc
is it easy 2 get there frm CST

Thanks Jidesh n Vivekanands.
Seems that both of u were in the same grp... :smile:

Thanks a lot once again...

WAKE UP DUDE, HE IS IN BANGALORE (COFFEE BOARD BANGALORE) AND I'M IN MUMBAI (MVIRDC WTC FLOOR 30TH). I guess the same GD/Topic was given to both CITIES/ALL GROUPS.
By the way got fragged in XAT(just scored 92 percentile) :(:(:(
hi vivekanand
how long did ur iview last?
were all the workex guys grilled in tech or were asked bout their job?
were u asked q's frm the form?
finally how long did the gds last n were all batches given same topic?
i have my gd/pi on 31st at wtc
is it easy 2 get there frm CST

My interview lasted for 30 minutes, but guys were chucked out in 10 mins, I wanted to stretch the interview; so I kept giving cues like the Automobile thing and ....
Many ppl were asked q's from the form, in fact the interviewer has a copy of ur form and he/she reads it during the interview.
The Gd's were a painful affair and lasted for 45 mins to 1 hr.
It is very easy to get there from CST, there's a separate bus stop for WTC, catch bus no. 2.
Finally a word of advise to all of you, refrain from making the GD a fish market, because there was a point in my GD wherein the group was making so much noise that the judges left the room to have a breather. And in the PI, just be urself. U can make them grill u in acads, or u can even make them ask u stuff (like in my case Autos, a friend was grilled on Saurav Ganguly for 20 minutes)......
Overall, catch a good night's sleep and be at your best there!

i guess these were interviews on two different location, bmby and bangalore...
hey ppl, are the interviews stress int. or they are going abt it casually...

WAKE UP DUDE, HE IS IN BANGALORE (COFFEE BOARD BANGALORE) AND I'M IN MUMBAI (MVIRDC WTC FLOOR 30TH). I guess the same GD/Topic was given to both CITIES/ALL GROUPS.
By the way got fragged in XAT

Sorry buddy.. But I think tht was not quite evident from ur earlier post that u were from Mumbai.....

Anyways.. its news tht both centres had same Essay n to top it.. the same GD Topic...:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Wht r these IIFT guys up to..

hey ppl
we had so many interviews today and only 2 posts...
ppl please help those like me whu have interview at a later date...

hey guys... thanks for the interview posts...

i have my interview on feb 2 in bangalore.. any of you guys have it at the same time.. i will post my interview experience after that.

thanks

ciao

Hi Junta,
please start pouring in ur experiences....
kyunki sukh baatne se badta hai...
so please...
all r invited and requested to share their experieences....

BEST OF LUCK to those appearing for GD/PI 2morow.:)

bye...

vivekanands dude..remember me i met u at the boot camp..i was the one stumbling in all the gds..arre kinda scared bout de 2 mins talk but think will manage it...
got a big confidence boost today..99.95 in xat:))
neways gd/pi tomm
wish me luck..

vivekanands dude..remember me i met u at the boot camp..i was the one stumbling in all the gds..arre kinda scared bout de 2 mins talk but think will manage it...
got a big confidence boost today..99.95 in xat:))
neways gd/pi tomm
wish me luck..

Hey dude,
I do remember you man. Saw, your XAT results (how did u manage such astronomical scores in XAT), dude XLRI is yours for the taking. After that awesome show u shouldn't really worry about the IIFT GD/PI, cos its yours for the taking. Communicate ur XAT score to the other junta there, you will automatically be given gr8 respect.
Anyway, good luck for the process, and do post your experience.

Hey!!

What happened guys.. Only two PGITES have put their experiences..
Where r others...??:

any feedback for IIFT at kolkata centre?

I have my GD/PI on Thursday 2nd Feb at WTC, Mumbai. By what time can I expect the whole thing to be over?