Iift (2005-2007) Gd/pi Experience, Analysis Etc.

Hi friends IIFT gd/pi are starting today in kolkata so guys who are done with it please post your experiences here good luck to all pgiites for their gd/pi:smile:

Hi friends

IIFT gd/pi are starting today in kolkata
so guys who are done with it please post your experiences here

good luck to all pgiites for their gd/pi:smile:

HI guys,

Whoever completed just post the experiences. It will be very much useful to others. Pls give the topic of essay , GD and interview qustions and timings of each session.

Thanx,
CATullus.

hey guys....those who r done wit ur gd/pi/essay 2day, pls post ur experiences..... ppl waitin out here 2 know whts new this yr....

ne1 frm IITF who could help ?????
post ur experiences n tips here .......

Allah ke naam pe thoda tips de de baba,
Bhagwan tera bhala karega!!!!

Sanchayan.

o.k !!! ... first interview of the year done with !! 😃

started of with an essay 'is globalisation a myth?' ...the we had the wierd gd !!
topic was 'is china a threat to indian industry?' ...am saying it was wierd bcos everyone got a chance to be the moderator after every 3 mins ...a bell was passed arnd ,,,and the moderator had to ring it to catch evryone elses attention !!!!
i dunno what they tried to get out of this ,,,became more chaotic than evr !:whatthat:

Interview was pretty smooth ...kept grilling me abt what i'd written in the form .
4 panelists ...one was thru out staring at the ceiling ...another one pretended to be asleep!!:grab:

lets see what happens ...have to wait for the results now!!

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE!!!

..hey hw many ppl were called 2day...and hw many were ther at each GD!!>.
...asked abt acads???
..sutapa

Where are all the PGites who had IIFT interview?

Pls post.

It helps others.

o.k !!! ... first interview of the year done with !! 😃

started of with an essay 'is globalisation a myth?' ...the we had the wierd gd !!
topic was 'is china a threat to indian industry?' ...am saying it was wierd bcos everyone got a chance to be the moderator after every 3 mins ...a bell was passed arnd ,,,and the moderator had to ring it to catch evryone elses attention !!!!
i dunno what they tried to get out of this ,,,became more chaotic than evr !:whatthat:

Interview was pretty smooth ...kept grilling me abt what i'd written in the form .
4 panelists ...one was thru out staring at the ceiling ...another one pretended to be asleep!!:grab:

lets see what happens ...have to wait for the results now!!

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE!!!

hey can u tell us the approx duration of each stage i.e. how much time was given for essay writing, duration of GD and PI..

i hv heard gd in iift is for about an hr..culd not believe ..how can it go so long..

thanx

Hi ppl.... had my interview today in Chennai along with Gaurab.

Started off with an essay on "Children on the information highway"... all of 20 minutes for that.

Then had a GD on "Do we really need FDI?" Each of us spoke for about a minute initially,and then it was an open discussion. Quite an orderly GD on the whole... everybody got a chance to speak. Lasted an hour.
Then went on to the PI's... was second to be interviewed. The panel had 4 people on it, one lady and three gents. Quite a friendly lot..... didn't pressure me too much. Some of the q's I got were:

1) What are the two best things about you? (asked a few q's based on my answer)
2) If I were to ask you to speak for a minute on international business and it's implications, what would you say?
3) Do you think a knowledge of international business is essential for everyone?
4) Do you think there's a growing awareness of the need for commerce education? (am a b.com grad)
5) Describe the nature of the job u held and the reponsibilities involved.
6) Did your acctng background help you at work? (said yes)
7) Give a few examples
Tell us what you know about WTO and it's functions
Moved on to extra curric.... was a mag editor in coll
9) Tell us something about the magazine you brought out
10) How many ppl worked with you?
11) Why do you need your juniors to work on a job like this?
12) How did you go about it?
13) can you give us the name of a scientific method of ordering events and executing them? (smiled blankly and sweetly and said no:) )
14) Did you face a situation where you felt compelled to show some favouritism?
15) have you ever faced an ethical dilemma, where you stood to gain by committing a misdeed? (said no, worst i did was bribe a watchman with 20 bucks ... come on yaar, I haven't lived that long!)

They then thanked me and told me I could leave..... took around half an hour all together. This is all I can remember right now...... hope it helps all those who're preparing for their rounds.... good luck ppl!

Teena

hey thanks teena...pl anybody else yar pl come up with ur experiences....do tell us the gd topics n the questions in the interview...im sure il post my experience after 20 th...sos yar...i screwed mdi gd/pi....fms no real hope...same 4 iit bn nitie..so guys pl iift is the only chance i have

i have one small query... are the panel asking for ur cv. or is the form u sent them enough for them....coz i have to make a few updates in my cv....which i've been postponing for some time...

hey can u tell us the approx duration of each stage i.e. how much time was given for essay writing, duration of GD and PI..

i hv heard gd in iift is for about an hr..culd not believe ..how can it go so long..

thanx

hi !! ... well...the essay was 20 mins ...gd took abt 1 hr 15 mins ...got extended that long bcos they introduced the buzzer/bell system in kolkata !! ...it still turned into a fish market at times

my interview was max 20 mins ... kept grilling me abt the form . tried to stress me out by telling me am not a good team person ...am not fit for management ...i smiled and gave my defence !! ...they seemed satisfied!! lets see what happens now!!

any idea when the reults will be out ???

Hey Guys in Kolkata
Is that lady who is a very senior person at IIFT(think thats Mrs Vijaya Katti) and a pretty grey haired gentleman(another senior guy) there in the Kolkata panel????

Nikhil

Hi Friends,

This is my first post in IIFT section.

I had my GD/PI on last Friday (18th) at Chennai.
Essay topic - What should India do to succeed in international competitions like Olympics
GD - Should mercy killing be allowed in India.
13 people for 45 minutes GD. I did not have a good GD. Could not come up with many points. Just one or two only from me.
PI - Mine was the last PI of the day and they were in a bit of a hurry to get rid of me. Asked something abt my interests - F1 and exports in Kerala. I have written in my CV that my aim is to become an entrepreneur. I guess that was the last nail in my coffin. They talked abt some other institue (GR 100 or something like that) and asked me that I should try for that. The point was clear .

Anyway, kept up with the charade for some 20 mins or so.:x

No hope at all.

Bye for now and best of luck for the rest.

intv venue: Bengal Chamber of Commerce
intv time :9:30
essay topic : "Coalition Politics is here to stay"
GD group: 13 people.
GD Topic: Globalization:Is it good or bad.
GD Format: One minute opening statement followed with a everyone getting a chance to play the Board Chairman for 3 mins. The

Chairman needed to summarize at the end of 3 mins.almost an 1 hour affair.
Misc Point: The Moderators got uninterested in the proceedings within 30 mins of the GD.So get ur good points across early.

Then a cup of coffee and choclate biscuits.

PI: 4 member panel.
One chap was trying to stress out.
Mentioned values in intro.was grilled a lot.it seemed they were fox hunting trying to catch loopholes in my value

esystem,citing bizarre examples.
asked me about what i felt about Ravi Shankar being nominated for the Noble.
Again,freshers who are placed,learn ur job offer by heart.
was asked about other calls too.

Misc Point: PI is comfortable.main stress on form.

Overall Impression: Everyone go and give in your best coz I am already out of the race and so competition becomes easier by

one. IN the essay round,take care to be quick.they say 20 mins ,300 words but take it away by the 15th minute itself.I

couldn't complete my essay,the bush beater that I am.

tata

hi ppl,

gd/pi sessions for iift kicked off in bangalore today. was the first to be interviewed, so i guess it falls on me to be the first to post as well . there were about 15 in the group. we were asked to write an essay first. the topic was dull, importance of ethics in industry. next up was the gd, the topic being 'is disinvestment destabilizing the indian economy?' each one was given two minutes to speak and then the gd was thrown open. we probably hit a new low in gd standards, because the panelists cut us off after hardly 15 minutes. we really didnt have much to talk about, and the discussion was dull as dishwater . the interview was really cool, though. questions were asked based on our answers in the cv form. a few general questions like why mba-ib, why iift etc were thrown in. not much on acads, and almost no gk questions. i was out in 15 minutes. no idea on how well i have done, because the questions were pretty general in nature. those of u who have ur interviews scheduled for the next couple of days. it would help if u can substantiate what u have written in ur form. give concrete examples and good reasons. if u dont have any, cook up some good ones:) . all the best!

My iift xperience..
Over all impressed with the process,the panelists,the interview etc...
first the essay..."role of ethics in industry or corporate ...20mins .. 300 words..
full gas...
then the gd which dint go the way the prof expected...
"disinvestment is destabilizing the economy"
started by giving everyone 2 mins to speak ...the 2 mins got stretched quite a bit...
and took a long time in finishing... content wise not tht great....
then the gd and the prof asked us to take turns moderating/facilitating the discussion for 2 mins each...
Nothing happened.... ... gd went on in the normal way ... dint go on for too long...
general performance can be said to be average ... plus it digressed into fdi and what not...
interview there were 2 panels of 3 ppl each ...
the panelists were tking their time with everyone ..probly controlfreak was an exception..mostintviews 30 minssome interviews going to even 40 mins...
personal xperience started by askig about my goals...
what i do currently .."parttime teaching at TIME" ..
.asked me wht i teach ....
said math
..what special abt my teaching
gassed
hrd abt vedic math ...wht do u think abtit..
said not practical to learn and thk of applying vedic math in cat in a short term...some funda...
then came some "ethical" qs...
what if a person comes and says hes starting a company that produces the same kind of prod as mine ..gives me 50% sweat equity ..wud i take it?
gas....
got couple more of qs like this...
answered with ref to situations in my organisation ...
what came out of my cat preps..?which institutes?how do i rank etc??
said iima,xlri,fma,iift,iitb ....
now the IB angle...ur not into this just for Internatonal trade right???(sly grin)...
said something like i expect to e working in an interenational market ..IB is important..
i am constrained by the fact tht diff instis focus on diff things...if i come to iift ill try to gain max by the intnatioanl focus...etcetc...
wht specialization wud i prefer ?
ops...explained
music wht kind of music...
said ghalib to pink floyd....more rock then ghazals...
whats ur fav singer..
live hariharan...cassette jagjit singh...
hrd abt jazz???
said some fundae...
queen pink floyd? ....said pink floyd
ac/dc metallica ? ..said mets... he gave me a nice smile...
u watch sports....dont play...?
said im not very good..tho i understand intricacies well..
asked me to pick 4 players for teh world X1... said gilly,lara,mcgrath,grame smith..
no indians?dravid...
no sachin ?NO...maybe 10 yrs b4 ...tht was a bit tongue in cheek i guess....
THts abt it..
very cordial panelists...everybody coming out is satisfied ..all the more difficult to predict the outcome..
FINGERS CROSSED...
all the best to everyone else.
andy

iift gd/pi in hyd

first n foremost im pretty impressed by their whole gd/pi/essay writin process...its been a wonderful experience altogether...b4 the gd started we had to write an essay on"importance of ethics in industry-corporate"..we were given bout 20 min to write 300 words..well i personally felt tat the time given was sufficient...then v were given a 5 min break after which the gd started...the topic was "Is disinvestment destabilisin the Indian economy"..on the whole i felt that our gd was good ...v did digress from the topic sometimes but v covered all the aspects of the topic...say
wat is disinvestment
implications of disinvestment on the agricultural sector-backbone of the indian economy
disinvestment in strategic n sensitive sectors
view pt of the affected parties
we also discussed the pros which im sure many of my frens wud surely know bout them
now lets come to the interview
i was the first 1 in n my interview was 4 bout 35 min
the questions were
1.talk bout urself
2.4-5 techinical questions in my electronics bg
3.wat is an mnc
4.how does foriegn trade fit into ur career goals
5.im not satisfied with ur prev ans pl elaborate
6.wat did u do aftyer u passed out in 2004- i taught in a school
7.how did it help u grow as a person
8.do u regret not havin taken up on campus placement(i was placed in satyam)
9.don u feel u r better off workin 4 two yrs n then doin ur mba
10. whos ur fav tennis player- roger federer
11.wat do u do in u free time-listen to music
12.music?-rock n heavy metal
13.fav band-pink floyd n black sabbath
14. im still not convinced y i shud give u seat...tell me y shud i give u chance

tats bout it folks i don remem the rest
good luck guys

hi guys,

i had my iift interview on 19th feb,05 at chennai, (my background: b-tech student from iit-madras (ocean engg.))
started at 9.40 essay topic : is coalition politics relevant (something like that..)
gd topic : globalization good or bad
no. of people 12 (1 was absent) total 13 (11boys, 1 girl)
well all gave perspective for 1 min... some were cut back by maam/lady who tried to give info.
during gd well i haven't spoken much....
infact some of them were really off (discussing outsourcing n other extaneous matters)
maam asked me to speak.. gave my points which i have prepared...( some of them from eco book)
overall ok except for couple of guys.. (remem. they were looking for content ,listening skills, body lang. than amount of time spoken)
it was for 45 min , no summary..
next the interviews..
5 in the morn others in the afternoon..
morn guys got relatively easier interviews than noon guys..
any way mine was last but one (girl was the last)
panel 4 people ( 2 iift profs. who were in gd, 1 guy indstralist (alumunus of anna univ.), one other 35 yrs. sort of)

GD EXP. (i'll give as narrative/descriptive ....)
me: enters... (good afternoon ...everybody responded...warmly)
i wore a orange colour shirt...(small check.s..not so bright either...)
lady: so u like dark colours..
me : no , i prefer light colours..
they were looking for some more.
so i quipped gift from my father
lady: did he asked u to wear( no)
me: i wore it because i thought a goodluck to me
lady: smiled (thank God)
anna guy: do you according to ur father
me: i take his advice and choose my decision (which attracts me)
anna guy : is ur father guide or friend or .....
" : what did he say bout iift....
" : how much freedom does he give u..
" : u iitians why shift from ur spec. whe govt. spends some much money, ( he was talking bout some news-article bout iits, u iitsians leave for US, iits are becoming autonomous as govt. is not willing to give funds which r of no use....)
: asked me whether i have written gre,gmat why not ... ur branch has more scope in abroad than india ... and so on ( i gave my reasons for not going abroad..)
: then started asking why not work in india ( shipping) govt. has spent so much money on u...
i gave my reasons
: if ur not taking a job why waste the seat ( prob. somebody in country would have dearly longed for it) {i hardly know anybody who has taken core job from my branch job far the last 5 yrs.}
: asked me where i studied my 10,12th ( all in hyd.)
: if u have studied b.a or b.sc or anything (from nalanda college i.e my 12th std. jr. college) it would have left 1 seat for some guy .... u iitians wasting govt. money establishing some comp. in US no use whatsoever for the country .... giving some lame excuses for infrastructure...
me : if i had studied b.a or b.sc or something from an x college probly. my thinking would hav been limited (basically some crap).. then went to say how iit exp. helped me in my personality... (he then cut and said the iit exp. is not so important as 50% is ur in-born talent....)
i said my career obectives .... and then again back to how i repay my debt to the country.... ur services are not so imp. as in terms of tax-paying ..... and after 4 yrs. of govt. spending u want to work
sitting in as a.c room sitting in front of comp......(becauz. i said my interset is in finance)
ANYHOW the grilling went on for some more time.. ( throughly enjoyed though...) THEN
lady: why iift and what r the imp. features... some courses ....why international shipping/logicstics(as i ve given it as one of the unique features, apart from all international courses...(how the hell do i know)
and then compare iims, iift ( i said reputAtion aside (they said yes yes) course contentwise iift seems to be better because of international perspective....( she said iims offer also all of these ( i thought iift is some what different from iims) n then what i get after 2 yrs. from iift, iims in terms of degree..
asked how many calls i got ( seem to be impressed) and the lady asked whether i have compared iift and iim courses i said no...
they wished me all the best n the lady said get info. on courses u r going to take becauz. iims will grill u on that...
the other 2 hardly asked a question ( everybody were friendly except for anna univ. guy (during grilling)

ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN ON my acads, extra-cur, CV...
I can haardly call it as a interview for bout 20/25 min.

i think i cupped majorly ( 4/10 for g.d, 10/100 for inerview)
junta do give replies..

Finally left spencer plaza ( place of interview) at 3.30 p.m.

ALL THE BEST for the remaining guys..