IFMR Chennai - Queries

*Hello Everybody, My name is Vasanth Srinivasa; I am a student of the Post Graduate Diploma in Management course (2005-07 batch) at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai. I am starting this thread with 2 intentions…

Hello Everybody,

My name is Vasanth Srinivasa; I am a student of the Post Graduate Diploma in Management course (2005-07 batch) at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai.

I am starting this thread with 2 intentions,

to help answer any queries regarding IFMR and

to inform all of you interested about the student activities at IFMR.

IFMR is a premier management institute and an institute of National Importance (
Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India) promoted by ICICI bank and the House of Kothari's and other corporates. It is one of the top 20 B-schools in India and also one of the top 5 B-Schools in Tamil Nadu.

The latest initiative by the students at IFMR is the Annual B-School event christened "Abhyudaya", which connotes Sunrise in Sanskrit. It is a 2 day event scheduled for the 18th and the 19th of February, 2006. Around 55 colleges have been invited all over the country, and there are many stakes to compete for.

This year the focus of the event is on "Rural Rethinc", which forms the theme for the highlight of this year's fest- the Industry Seminar. This theme has been chosen keeping in mind the increasing focus by the corporate houses on the rural sector of the nation.

I request you all to participate in the event and post your queries to:

In case you wish to have further information about our Institute, you can write in to me on this thread or you could also mail me at

Our Website address for the event is: www.ifmr.ac.in/abhyudaya

Please do visit it, and participate in the event.

Thank you.

Edited By oxymoron :
** No maild ids....

can you please post about the likely CAT cut off and placement scenario at IFMR

Hello Everybody,
My name is Vasanth Srinivasa; I am a student of the Post Graduate Diploma in Management course (2005-07 batch) at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai.
I am starting this thread with 2 intentions,
to help answer any queries regarding IFMR and
to inform all of you interested about the student activities at IFMR.
IFMR is a premier management institute and an institute of National Importance (Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India) promoted by ICICI bank and the House of Kothari's and other corporates. It is one of the top 20 B-schools in India and also one of the top 5 B-Schools in Tamil Nadu.
The latest initiative by the students at IFMR is the Annual B-School event christened "Abhyudaya", which connotes Sunrise in Sanskrit. It is a 2 day event scheduled for the 18th and the 19th of February, 2006. Around 55 colleges have been invited all over the country, and there are many stakes to compete for.
This year the focus of the event is on "Rural Rethinc", which forms the theme for the highlight of this year's fest- the Industry Seminar. This theme has been chosen keeping in mind the increasing focus by the corporate houses on the rural sector of the nation.
I request you all to participate in the event and post your queries to:

In case you wish to have further information about our Institute, you can write in to me on this thread or you could also mail me at

Our Website address for the event is: www.ifmr.ac.in/abhyudaya
Please do visit it, and participate in the event.
Thank you.

Edited By oxymoron :
** No maild ids....

Welcome to PG dear, no multiple threads on IFMR please, you can give your introduction on the currently running thread on IFMR.

I think this thread should be continued..
Because its a new thread and started by a student of IFMR...

And the old one should be locked...

Hi all,
This is pooran from Gurgaon.This is my first post to PG.
About me: Engg. with good acads but only 85.32 in CAT.
Pls suggest me whether i shd go ahead with this score or not.
If yes, do they prefer a person with finance/commerce as his/her background.

Tell me about the no. of seats and students profile.

:

hello pooran,
well u have just managed to clear ifmr's cutoff, 85ile. you can send in your application. They have no such preferences. In fact we have an almost equal ratio of engg to non engg. Seats are about 40. Student profile, as in Work Ex is less compared to non work ex about 45:55.

Hi Pooran,
To add on to vasanth's post i would like to give some more information on the student profile, the male to female ratio is 66:34, work exp to without work exp is 55:45, engg to non-engg is 55:45 and the average CAT score for last year's selected students were 88 percentile though it might go up this year as the min. cutoff was 80 percentile last yr. Any other clarification do revert back. All the best.

hello seniors

can u tell me something about the gd/pi process and the course of advanced finance.do u have placements for the 1 year advanced finance course.i am very much interested in finance.i have a cat percentile of 98.27 and got a call from mdi.for the finance course is the interview separate.thank u in advance

hello vasant,utpal n all the guys who r studying in IFMR kindly help me on this......i got 86.30 %ile with 20 mnths of exp......the problem is that my interview is lined up at FORE on 27th so the probability of making it at Chennai on 27TH or 28TH IS EXTREMELY BLEAK..........can they consider changing the date of interview?.....any help will be appreciated...thanx

Hi Vasanth,
Are all the people above 85%ile applying for the course going to be called on 27th & 28th FEB?? Or are they going to shortlist candidates for GD/PI??

I asked this question considering the last date for the submission of the application form. I would send the duely complete .pdf form on Monday along with d.d. And then the form will reach them thru courier in 3-4 days (i guess it takes that much from Vadodara).

SO in short when will they display the shortlisted canditates list?? and if it is so will they display it on the website or thru mail(hardcopy)??

PLEASE REPLY.

Hello Anoop,

The 1 yr PGPF course in Advanced Finance, is supported by ICICI bank, in the sense that the top 10 students of this course are recruited by ICICI bank for their Treasury operations etc. For this you would need to apply for the PGPF program and then you would have a written test, followed by a GD/PI seperately. You can visit our Website www.ifmr.ac.in, and download the form for this course. The placements at ICICI are comparable to the IIMs etc. Last yr the average salary was around Rs.6.18 lacs. The course fee last yr was around Rs.4.10 lacs. Wish you all the best.

hi buddy(theunkindmonk vbmenu_register("postmenu_382909", true); ),
Well i am not so sure about the change in the interview date. I suggest you call up our office and ask the Co-ordinator, as he would be the right person to let you know if they can accomodate such a change. You can be honest abt the clash of calls, and if you are lucky they just might make allowances for you.All the Best.

Hi Nazar,
The institute would be shortlisting candidates for the GD/PI based upon your cat %ile and the application form that you would have filled and sent in. If you are shortlisted, then they will send you an E-mail confirming so, and also a letter. I guess they would let out the shortlist by around the 22nd at most, considering that 20th is the last date for applying, and the GDs scheduled for the 27th and 28th. All the Best.

Hello Anoop,

The 1 yr PGPF course in Advanced Finance, is supported by ICICI bank, in the sense that the top 10 students of this course are recruited by ICICI bank for their Treasury operations etc. For this you would need to apply for the PGPF program and then you would have a written test, followed by a GD/PI seperately. You can visit our Website www.ifmr.ac.in, and download the form for this course. The placements at ICICI are comparable to the IIMs etc. Last yr the average salary was around Rs.6.18 lacs. The course fee last yr was around Rs.4.10 lacs. Wish you all the best.

hi vasanth

what is the written test like?what are the kind of things asked in it?is it an aptitude test?will the gd/ pi be more related to finance.do i have to prepare anything special for that interview. do enlighten me on the 2yr program as well.thank u
Hi Nazar,
The institute would be shortlisting candidates for the GD/PI based upon your cat %ile and the application form that you would have filled and sent in. If you are shortlisted, then they will send you an E-mail confirming so, and also a letter. I guess they would let out the shortlist by around the 22nd at most, considering that 20th is the last date for applying, and the GDs scheduled for the 27th and 28th. All the Best.

what is the last date to apply
is it 20
or 28th
plzz confirm

hi all,
I am swabhiman patnayak pgdbm class of 2007 IFMR CHENNAI. IFMR has a 100 % placements in top companies like ICICI,ITC,SATYAM,RELIANCE,HCL etc.Batch of 2006 are all placed with average salary being 4.6 lacs and the highest being 5.68 lacs.ICICI recruited eight students with a salary of 5.3 lacs .Any queiries regarding the placements GD/PI ,summmer placements etc are welcomed from all of you.

Regards
swabhiman patnayak

hi ifmr seniors
can anyone tell me whether IFMR has sectional cut off?im planning to apply to PGDBM n opt for marketing later on.my verbal %le is really high n Quant is really low.overall is 89%le.so in a dilemma whether to apply or not?

want this info for a friend.... is IFMR really strict on 85%ile in CAT or will they even consider 80+ in CAT??? its at Kothari Road right??? whats the batch profile like??

Hi seniors,
Can you thorw light on
1)the GD topics last year and the expected ones this year..??
2) the whole process of GD(no of people per batch)??
3) the PI questions last year??
4) any special preference given to localites or people from within state??
As GDs are just 2 weeks away..... an early response would be welcomed.:satisfie: