IESE vs ESADE

Hello Everybody, Could somebody please guide me regarding IESE and ESADE both in Barcelona. I need to know which one is a better school? Looking at their profiles and rankings they seem to be nearly the same. I am also looking at the sponsors…

Hello Everybody,

Could somebody please guide me regarding IESE and ESADE both in Barcelona. I need to know which one is a better school? Looking at their profiles and rankings they seem to be nearly the same. I am also looking at the sponsorship and job opportunities criteria. IESE is a more expensive course but admits more candidates. Please correct me if I am wrong. Kindly help!!

Just want to confirm if IESE is a two year program or a 13 month program.
Thanks

There is no doubt that IESE is better than ESADE. IESE is in top 5 european B schools, which includes LBS, IMD, INSEAD, IE. ESADE would be in next league, which inculdes HEC, Cambridge, Oxford, Manchester, may be RSM.

I consider FT Ranking, and according to them, ESADE has consistently improved in recent times,, from 37 in 2005 to 21 in 2008. IESE has consistently maintained 10-15 slot. Latest whichmba ranking has even given it #2 rank, i dont believe that.

IESE is 21 month program, ESADE is 18 month program. IESE is expensive, it is 65k euro and ESADE is 51K euro. There are more scholarships available in ESADE. If you are Indian, then you also need TOFEL for IESE. Culture in ESADE is more open.

IESE is very good in consulting. Other than that both colleges have same salary (95-100K for ESADE, and 105-110k IESE) and job placements (85-90 for ESADE and 90-95 for IESE), of last four years. In addition, in ESADE you have to learn Spainish, which is not mandatory in IESE.

My recommendation -- If you want safe bet or work in English speaking world, go for IESE. If you want adventure or whole world to be your playground, go for ESADE.

Holyy

Hello All, just a word from ESADE...Yes, I work in ESADE Admission & Career Services, so take that to be as biased as you want.

I think that when looking at top MBA programs such as ESADE and IESE, you should concentrate less on which is "better" (anyway - better by which criteria?? rankings are contradictory depending on the methodology...you cannot judge by what the students say regarding which is better, as no one does an MBA at both schools...) - and focus more on which program has a better "fit" for you. You are going to get a top MBA from both schools (they are both consistently ranked in the top 10 in Europe), and the same top global recruiters are recruiting at both schools, but the methodologies and cultures are quite different. You can get a good feel for this by speaking to students, Admissions, and especially by visiting the schools, if possible.

ESADE Admissions

Hello All, just a word from ESADE...Yes, I work in ESADE Admission & Career Services, so take that to be as biased as you want.

I think that when looking at top MBA programs such as ESADE and IESE, you should concentrate less on which is "better" (anyway - better by which criteria?? rankings are contradictory depending on the methodology...you cannot judge by what the students say regarding which is better, as no one does an MBA at both schools...) - and focus more on which program has a better "fit" for you. You are going to get a top MBA from both schools (they are both consistently ranked in the top 10 in Europe), and the same top global recruiters are recruiting at both schools, but the methodologies and cultures are quite different. You can get a good feel for this by speaking to students, Admissions, and especially by visiting the schools, if possible.

ESADE Admissions

Absolutely! Can't agree with you more.... I have a few questions.... It will be great if you could throw some light....

1. How easy is it for Indians in general to find a job in Barcelona post MBA?

2. Esade seems pretty strong for consulting roles post MBA. So for consulting roles, what are the basic criteria companies look for in that part of the world? What I mean is.... Do consulting companies look for people with prior consulting experience or are they open to hiring people who are looking for a career change? Do companies prefer EU students or are they open to hiring non EU students as well?

3. How is the culture at Esade? I have heard about the cooperativeness among the students, vanishing concept of aggressive, selfish students; the openness of knowledge sharing and camaraderie among students, faculty, alumni and visiting professionals; the closeness of the group after graduation. What do u make of it?

I will look forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

1) Hard to tell, as we havent had many Indian students in the past; I have been at ESADE for 7 years and we have only about 5-6 graduates to date. Most of them have gotten jobs outside of India (mostly Europe) post-graduation, but none of them in Spain. Having said that - I think one major impediment is the Spanish language, and perhaps the low salaries offered in Spain is another one. We have definitely had non-EU citizens from around the world working in Spain (North American, Latin American, Eastern Europeans, other Asians...), and we have at least one Indian student interning currently in Barcelona - I am sure it is a question of time!!

2) My position at ESADE includes Career Services - but for Asia (NOT for Asians per se). This means I visit companies throughout Asia, but have little direct interaction with companies in Europe. What the consulting recruiters do seem to agree on, however, is that they are looking for "transferable skills". This means they are looking for proven skills which can be applied in the consulting arena. Certainly, if there are EU students with the skills they are looking for (especially if they have consulting experience) - it is easier for them to hire them than it is for them to hire Indian students. My best advice would be to focus on what your current work experience is giving you in terms of transferable skills, and if you think this isnt enough - definitely make the internship your priority!!

3) Everything I have seen from our students confirms what you state in your message. I am glad the word is getting out, as I feel this is a healthier philosophy in the long run - collaboration between team members and classmates, which transfers to collaboration with work colleagues - competition with your true competitors - people in other companies. I could give you endless examples - my setting up a meeting between a current student and an alumnus from the same country working in exactly the field the current students was interetsted in - and the current student inviting 15 classmates to the same dinner to meet with the alumnus, thus potentially undermining the advantage that he had in having the direct contact with the alumus...just to give you ONE example...

Hope this answers your questions...

1) Hard to tell, as we havent had many Indian students in the past; I have been at ESADE for 7 years and we have only about 5-6 graduates to date. Most of them have gotten jobs outside of India (mostly Europe) post-graduation, but none of them in Spain. Having said that - I think one major impediment is the Spanish language, and perhaps the low salaries offered in Spain is another one. We have definitely had non-EU citizens from around the world working in Spain (North American, Latin American, Eastern Europeans, other Asians...), and we have at least one Indian student interning currently in Barcelona - I am sure it is a question of time!!

2) My position at ESADE includes Career Services - but for Asia (NOT for Asians per se). This means I visit companies throughout Asia, but have little direct interaction with companies in Europe. What the consulting recruiters do seem to agree on, however, is that they are looking for "transferable skills". This means they are looking for proven skills which can be applied in the consulting arena. Certainly, if there are EU students with the skills they are looking for (especially if they have consulting experience) - it is easier for them to hire them than it is for them to hire Indian students. My best advice would be to focus on what your current work experience is giving you in terms of transferable skills, and if you think this isnt enough - definitely make the internship your priority!!

3) Everything I have seen from our students confirms what you state in your message. I am glad the word is getting out, as I feel this is a healthier philosophy in the long run - collaboration between team members and classmates, which transfers to collaboration with work colleagues - competition with your true competitors - people in other companies. I could give you endless examples - my setting up a meeting between a current student and an alumnus from the same country working in exactly the field the current students was interetsted in - and the current student inviting 15 classmates to the same dinner to meet with the alumnus, thus potentially undermining the advantage that he had in having the direct contact with the alumus...just to give you ONE example...

Hope this answers your questions...

Thanks a lot. I am extremely impressed with the way you folks at Esade are doing a great job of show casing your B school and it's culture. Also, your new website, brochures and email updates are fantastic.

I have one last question, In Barcelona, as in the rest of Catalonia, I believe there are two official languages, Catalan and Spanish. So for students who intend to stay back in Barcelona and work, is it required to know both these languages?

You've really done your research :-)

ESADE provides quite complete Spanish classes to help with the language issue - Catalan is of course a plus, but very few of our non-Spanish speaking students have learned any Catalan, and many are working in Barcelona, so doesnt seem to be an issue for international postings (as it shouldnt be...)!!

You've really done your research :-)

ESADE provides quite complete Spanish classes to help with the language issue - Catalan is of course a plus, but very few of our non-Spanish speaking students have learned any Catalan, and many are working in Barcelona, so doesnt seem to be an issue for international postings (as it shouldnt be...)!!

Haha. Yes. 😃 I am looking to pursue an MBA only in a B school that will be a good fit both in terms of culture as well as post MBA career. Presently, I am enjoying my work as it's extremely challenging and exciting. Just before I start applying to B schools, could I will forward my CV to you and seek your advice? Thanks.

You can do that - but if your current work is fun & challenging - I question your need to do the MBA at the present :-)

I can be reached at: [email protected]

You can do that - but if your current work is fun & challenging - I question your need to do the MBA at the present :-)

I can be reached at: [email protected]

Thanks Mary. Will get in touch with you soon.

Your views on IE Madrid?