I took the GMAT today and got 630 :(

I know hardly will anyone read this after seeing a 630…as truth be told, you cannot get pointers from a 630 guy!! i know! But surprisingly, I am not astonished with this score! Not that I am happy about it, but that i am not crying over thi…

I know hardly will anyone read this after seeing a 630...as truth be told, you cannot get pointers from a 630 guy!! i know!

But surprisingly, I am not astonished with this score! Not that I am happy about it, but that i am not crying over this, neither do i want to rush it for a second attempt. None of these thoughts come to my mind.

I got a 31v and 46q... yes, quant was even more pathetic i guess.

My summary and highlights
Manhattan 4 = 670
Manhattan 5 = 700
Manhattan 6 = 720
Manhattan 1 retake = 720 with 45v, 48q, yes some verbal qs were repeated.
GmatPrep 1 = 670 30v, 50q
GmatPrep2 = 660 34v, 47q
GmatPrep Retake = 700 36v, 49q.

To be honest, i did everything it took for my preparation...analysis, applying concepts, advises and what not...

What went wrong was that "I DID NOT APPLY THE CONCEPTS DURING EXAM TIME AND DID IT IN A FASTER PACE THAN USUAL" and finished maths with 5 mins to spare, and didnt face time shortage in verbal...which means---->> did i even think on each question properly...??? why is it that during practice tests i was short of time, and during the G day, i was so fast that i screwed myself royally!!

I agree that maths should have been much much better...even verbal could have been scaled to something like 36+...but it didnt!

To the future takers, one advice: During the last few days, just rely on the actual GMAT questions from OG and GMATPrep, and please be confident enough to apply the basics you have learnt during your preparation!!

GMAT concept is easy...you take your concentration off, or you fail to apply the concepts, you get an easy question...why?... because you screwed the previous one...so just in case you are running out of time in GMAT...stay cool and focus more, as probably you did well and hence the harder questions taking more time.

I'll be glad if people read this.

Will i come back stronger and harder on GMAT...only time will tell and may be my next post on PG~..till then, its good bye and syonara, once and for all!!

Cheers
Siddharth

no wonder u r somewhat sad but i think tht u r throwing all ur deep anger at us :)..... bro , we all r here to help and learn.... if u had godforbid , gotten a 600 we would have been here for u .... thing i like is tht u know what ur mistakes are ... most gmat guys dun know where they went wrong..... atleast u can work on ur mistakes and improve if u want...... please share ur experience with us as much as u can and we r here to support u ..... 😃 i wish u best of luck for ur future !

aliz_khanz Says
no wonder u r somewhat sad but i think tht u r throwing all ur deep anger at us :)..... bro , we all r here to help and learn.... if u had godforbid , gotten a 600 we would have been here for u .... thing i like is tht u know what ur mistakes are ... most gmat guys dun know where they went wrong..... atleast u can work on ur mistakes and improve if u want...... please share ur experience with us as much as u can and we r here to support u ..... 😃 i wish u best of luck for ur future !

if by any means i implied that i am "taking out my anger" on PGites i apologise and i take my words back. this forum has given me a lot of help and support to reach this far, so plz dont get me wrong.

i will be more than eager to help you guys out by sharing my experience.

here it is...
Quant: I got the usual questions, DS questions were a little tricky...since i didnt score well, i wouldnt say that i got the best of the lot questions, but my advice would be that think before you answer and be doubly sure. PS questions may be at times a little difficult to understand, but once you get the qs, plz form the simple equations and solve. this holds good for DS as well. form simple equations and solve!

Verbal: I would advise that you stay cool, think that even if you quant was screwed (may, may not be the case), verbal is a completely different package, and during the break, just try to recollect what you had in mind for verbal before taking the exam. i.e. stick to the basics...focus on doing well in the verbal. rely on your preparation and aim to get a 40... if you are walking in at a test center, i am sure you wouldnt deny that a 40 in verbal is reachable.

SC: GMAT Prep level questions... some a little trickier...get back to the basics, and apply the elimination method when in doubt. try to find the right answer quickly to gain time.

CR: do not jump to the options. a good strategy would be to read the questions first and try to find a reasoning error if any, or else try to get the grasp of the stimulus.
next read the q.
then quickly try to formulate an answer and then read the options. this is because the options will confuse you. try to eliminate the obvious ones and then forget about those. like this u will be able to see the right ans i guess.
be sure to pick the one which answers what is being asked.
do not spend too much time on 1 single question, and then to get it wrong in the end. 2 to 2.5 mins are more than enough i guess.(max limit)

RC: this was relatively easy for me. follow the good old basics. try to understand what the author uncle is saying. dont try to do R&D; in all the details presented, if its boring, try to reason out what author uncle is trying to say by putting in so much effort with all the possible details.
then the answers, you should be able to narrow down on 2. for main idea, plz, never pick the one which states something presented in a one or two liner... more general answers are preferred...you know that best by now.

proof read your ans for RC... you can get ALL CORRECT in RC... its much much easier... atleast for me it was, so am generalising it...

General Advise:
1. DO NOT try to predict the algorithm or the next qs or try to make up your mind based on an easy or difficult qs.
2. DO try to get back to what you did during your preparation to get 'these kind' of questions right.
3. When stumped, get back to basics...or the elimination method and intelligent guess and move on.
4. Chill, and crack it. I didnt do it, but I know its not that difficult as it looks! Please take revenge for me

If you could be specific in asking what you want, it will be easier for me.

Thanks,
(Deeply I am embarased to even dare to talk so much after 630)

ur quantitative is not that bad my friend...... 46 is a good score.... u only got badluck at ur verbal....u should work on ur verbal because i have a feeling that if u get this right , u may land at the magical land of 700...even , godforbid , u score 46 in ur quant again but get ur verbal above 42 , there is a chance that u can go beyond 700....

P.S. i think u should remove the question u have posted in the quantitative section because u r really not allowed to do that (according to the rules and regulations of GMAT ) it may cancel ur score ....

if by any means i implied that i am "taking out my anger" on PGites i apologise and i take my words back. this forum has given me a lot of help and support to reach this far, so plz dont get me wrong.

i will be more than eager to help you guys out by sharing my experience.

here it is...
Quant: I got the usual questions, 1 on probablity as well... 6 ppl... 3 member committe to be selected, whats the prob that A,B, and C will be selected. No Std. Deviation for me.
DS questions were a little tricky...since i didnt score well, i wouldnt say that i got the best of the lot questions, but my advice would be that think before you answer and be doubly sure. PS questions may be at times a little difficult to understand, but once you get the qs, plz form the simple equations and solve. this holds good for DS as well. form simple equations and solve!

Verbal: I would advise that you stay cool, think that even if you quant was screwed (may, may not be the case), verbal is a completely different package, and during the break, just try to recollect what you had in mind for verbal before taking the exam. i.e. stick to the basics...focus on doing well in the verbal. rely on your preparation and aim to get a 40... if you are walking in at a test center, i am sure you wouldnt deny that a 40 in verbal is reachable.

SC: GMAT Prep level questions... some a little trickier...get back to the basics, and apply the elimination method when in doubt. try to find the right answer quickly to gain time. Parallelism, Modifiers, Subj-Verb, Comparison..(rates being greater than 'that of' etc) is what I got.

CR: this is important. I got qs on assumption, weaken, strengthen, evaluate and even 1 bold faced.
do not jump to the options. a good strategy would be to read the questions first and try to find a reasoning error if any, or else try to get the grasp of the stimulus.
next read the q.
then quickly try to formulate an answer and then read the options. this is because the options will confuse you. try to eliminate the obvious ones and then forget about those. like this u will be able to see the right ans i guess.
be sure to pick the one which answers what is being asked.
do not spend too much time on 1 single question, and then to get it wrong in the end. 2 to 2.5 mins are more than enough i guess.(max limit)

RC: this was relatively easy for me. follow the good old basics. try to understand what the author uncle is saying. dont try to do R&D; in all the details presented, if its boring, try to reason out what author uncle is trying to say by putting in so much effort with all the possible details.
then the answers, you should be able to narrow down on 2. for main idea, plz, never pick the one which states something presented in a one or two liner... more general answers are preferred...you know that best by now.

proof read your ans for RC... you can get ALL CORRECT in RC... its much much easier... atleast for me it was, so am generalising it...

General Advise:
1. DO NOT try to predict the algorithm or the next qs or try to make up your mind based on an easy or difficult qs.
2. DO try to get back to what you did during your preparation to get 'these kind' of questions right.
3. When stumped, get back to basics...or the elimination method and intelligent guess and move on.
4. Chill, and crack it. I didnt do it, but I know its not that difficult as it looks! Please take revenge for me

If you could be specific in asking what you want, it will be easier for me.

Thanks,
(Deeply I am embarased to even dare to talk so much after 630)

Hey Sidharth,
We will appreciate your thoughts and advice, kudos to u for putting great effort and more for your invaluable bullet points.

@ponds
thanks dude... and good to see a 710 in ur name... i am guessing that ur already in applying mode... all the best... 😃 ...

as far as i am concerned, i think i need time off for myself for some deep thinking and analysis...

ur quantitative is not that bad my friend...... 46 is a good score.... u only got badluck at ur verbal....u should work on ur verbal because i have a feeling that if u get this right , u may land at the magical land of 700...even , godforbid , u score 46 in ur quant again but get ur verbal above 42 , there is a chance that u can go beyond 700....

P.S. i think u should remove the question u have posted in the quantitative section because u r really not allowed to do that (according to the rules and regulations of GMAT ) it may cancel ur score ....

dude let me correct you here...46 is not good in GMAT... i know good or bad is a relative term, but if you think you are not weak in maths, then i would say that 49 is reachable and you should aim for even a 50...i've got 50 in one of the kaplan tests and in gmat prep... so the last thing i would want to see on real gmat is anything below 49...

your overall score is more weighted towards your verbal, but getting a 40+ in verbal is NOT THAT EASY. so i think an average level should be 36v and 49q which makes it 700... the more the better...

all the best!
dude let me correct you here...46 is not good in GMAT... i know good or bad is a relative term, but if you think you are not weak in maths, then i would say that 49 is reachable and you should aim for even a 50...i've got 50 in one of the kaplan tests and in gmat prep... so the last thing i would want to see on real gmat is anything below 49...

your overall score is more weighted towards your verbal, but getting a 40+ in verbal is NOT THAT EASY. so i think an average level should be 36v and 49q which makes it 700... the more the better...

all the best!

Hey Sid,
I am agreed with you 50 in Quant is reachable and gives little more boost to ones score i mean crossing the Rubicon of 700 with 35-36 in verbal and as u mentioned....the more the better...

I am back!!!

and how did you fare this time around??

am gearing up for it... i should be able to answer you in 3 months time, if things go as planned!

Hi, can you please evaluate my profile. Gmat - 630 10th - 87.28 12th - 77.50 GRAD - 66.41 (Engineering) Completed 26 months of work experience in an IT firm I am a junior diploma in Singing Also, I have a very active role in social service. Have many certificates verifying that... starting from school days to this day. Can you please tell me which all colleges I can apply?? And if I should give GMAT again. Thanks!