I -banking career discussion!

Hello all I wanted to know how easy is it to go from the Trading/structuring/financial products side of the Investment Banking to the Corporate Finance/Mergers and Acquisitions/COmpany valuation side of the industry. I am presently getti…

Hello all

I wanted to know how easy is it to go from the Trading/structuring/financial products side of the Investment Banking to the Corporate Finance/Mergers and Acquisitions/COmpany valuation side of the industry.

I am presently getting a job at UBS group in one of their groups that would work along/support a group that would structure financial products in Fixed INcome securities for its clients. Now this job would let me learn about how clients are to be serviced, products to be structured, term sheets prepared, so and so forth..

However I have been investing in long term perspective for around two years now, and I like the idea of actually studying a company's annual reports, go through its balance sheets, P&L; and cash flow statements and try and figure out what it might to in future. I know that this is a very basic approach, and I wouldn't know better unless I actually work in that industry say as a strategic consultant. The M&A;, company valuation and corporate finance side of I-Banks deal with this sort of stuff.

I wanted to know how much of a chance do I have once I join the financial product/trading side of I- bank to learn all that I can and then shift into to Corporate Finance side? .. Do I need to work in an industry before I do so? .. Would me joining a structuring kind of job hinder my coming back to operations or going over to corporate finance?

Thanks a lot for all the help

Warm regards

Hello all

I wanted to know how easy is it to go from the Trading/structuring/financial products side of the Investment Banking to the Corporate Finance/Mergers and Acquisitions/COmpany valuation side of the industry.

I am presently getting a job at UBS group in one of their groups that would work along/support a group that would structure financial products in Fixed INcome securities for its clients. Now this job would let me learn about how clients are to be serviced, products to be structured, term sheets prepared, so and so forth..

However I have been investing in long term perspective for around two years now, and I like the idea of actually studying a company's annual reports, go through its balance sheets, P&L; and cash flow statements and try and figure out what it might to in future. I know that this is a very basic approach, and I wouldn't know better unless I actually work in that industry say as a strategic consultant. The M&A;, company valuation and corporate finance side of I-Banks deal with this sort of stuff.

I see your sign as IIT KGP. If possible learn stat packages like SPSS, SAS and take econometric modelling classes in VGSOM/humanities-eco deptt. Will help you greatly in analytics and shifting to pure trade/invstmt side research desks of i-banks (in US/EU) later. Studying US fin/mortgage mkts also helps.

I wanted to know how much of a chance do I have once I join the financial product/trading side of I- bank to learn all that I can and then shift into to Corporate Finance side? .. Do I need to work in an industry before I do so? .. Would me joining a structuring kind of job hinder my coming back to operations or going over to corporate finance?

Thanks a lot for all the help

Warm regards

Hi Koolsome,

UBS or any other i-Bank outsourcing profile (goldman, JPMC etc) are almost same. they will send pre-formatted excel sheets (or login to some SW application form) from US/EU offices. In India you have to go thru annual reports, SEC filings, bloomberg etc and copy the relevant details and paste in appropriate boxes.

The excel sheet or applcn will automatically calculate the details and thereafter it goes to US/EU offices to analysts. They call this KPO but actually BPO work only. All UBS/Goldman type work is like this only irrespective of the division. Sorry for the bare facts. They never send actual investment decision making work in India. Starting pay is usually very good for fresh MBA's.

If you want to shift to strategic consulting in corp fin sector involving M&A;, invstmts etc, you need to join either Big 4 (PWC, EY, Deloitte etc) or corp fin group of some big reputed co.
Getting in to Big 4 will be relatively easier. A CFA (Indian or US), FRM etc will be opening the doors easily. Getting in to corp fin group of a reputed orgn will be tougher as they prefer CA's and ICWAI's and promote them thru the ranks over years where they can make or participate in these kind of decisions(Tata's, Reliance etc). Starting pay is less, u have to work it up in time. Also corp fin groups are very small, rarely crossing 25-30 ppl even for big orgns like Infy/Wipro etc.

All banks have treasury oprns where they manage trades and invstmnts. again entry is tough and growth is time taking thru the ranks. Advance degre helps.

Globalisation of MNC banks means you may have a chance to work oversea.... It could double your current income if you gain some experiences and then deciding to move on to oversea posting to places in Asia like Singapore, Shanghai or Hong Kong

:) 😃 :)

hii puys...could'nt find a more suitable thread to post and share my prob. wid u guys...first smthing abt my backgrnd - i m doing my grad. in B.Com(Hons) frm DU and i managed to get an offer for the role of a research associate (most prob. in d M&A; dept.) and will be joining in june/july.......i hv a really strong interest in I-banking esp. d M&A; aspect of it....nw wat i wanted to know is dat would it be possible for me to get into an I-bank after arnd 3-4 yrs of work exp and widout any specialized degree ???
puys i badly need ur valuable inputs 😃

hii puys...could'nt find a more suitable thread to post and share my prob. wid u guys...first smthing abt my backgrnd - i m doing my grad. in B.Com(Hons) frm DU and i managed to get an offer for the role of a research associate (most prob. in d M&A; dept.) and will be joining in june/july.......i hv a really strong interest in I-banking esp. d M&A; aspect of it....nw wat i wanted to know is dat would it be possible for me to get into an I-bank after arnd 3-4 yrs of work exp and widout any specialized degree ???
puys i badly need ur valuable inputs :)

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys! .. Well, as for M&A;, as I found out more, they usually recruit MBA's and that too it is preferable you have some kind of industry exposure, say in manufacturing or telecom or pharma, etc etc! .. That kind of exposure for a couple of years is something that the Corp Fin division (which handles the M&A;) of I-banks look for!

Keep the thread going 😃
Friends,

Myself Abhijeet. I need help.. Its VERY URGENT. I will be very very grateful to anybody who replies to my question.

I have around 9 years exp (pre and post MBA combined, pre-4, post-5) in FINANCE and ACCOUNTING. I am currently working in Genpact as Assistant Manager in F&A; domain. I got a call from UBS (Now cognizant) in INVESTMENT BANKING domain (PRODUCT CONTROL) . Now, I dont have any INVESTMENT BANKING exp. I got the call since I have 9 yrs Reconciliations exp in F&A; domain. They wanted a guy who has good exp in Reconciliations. UBS/ COGNIZANT said that they will give me PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE if I get selected. Now , my CTC is 5 lacs ( fixed). Guys I want a suggestion from you. Since I have 9 yrs exp and an MBA ( ICFAI Business School) and CFA ( Level -1) from ICFAI and my CTC is very low. How much should I ask as salary????? Kindly advice. Please GUYS HELP ME..ITS A REQUEST TO EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM . I will be highly indebted to him/her who advises me.

Hi...you should ask not less than 12-14 lakhs since you have 9 years of work exp....be confident and All the best for ur selection...

Thanks a million for your reply.

KRISA01 Says
Hi...you should ask not less than 12-14 lakhs since you have 9 years of work exp....be confident and All the best for ur selection...

Thanks KRISA01. The latest news is that my CV got rejected from Product control ( i was not interviewed) at the last moment ( maybe they got better profile) . Now the news is that it did get shortlisted for FINANCIAL REPORTING TEAM MANAGER ROLE. My interview is next week. i DONT KNOW WHETHER I CAN QOUTE 12-14 FOR THAT DEPTT ( SINCE ITS NOT PRODUCT CONTROL. ITS FINANCIAL REPORTING).
Customers' Experience & Expectation from Indian Banking Industry Please give your 5 Minutes to fill up this Survey. I use this method because it a part of my summer project. Hope you guys help me out.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgaLfPPVrCEedDJyZU9zNWVVV2dzdGZId3lHSHZsTUE&hl;=en