How to improve Extra-Curriculars?

Hi all. I’m starting this thread to know what one can do to improve the extra-curricular activities’ part of one’s application. About me: B.Tech. Mechanical Engineer 2007 batch from Jamia Millia Islamia. Grad: 7.27/10 Xth: …

Hi all.

I'm starting this thread to know what one can do to improve the extra-curricular activities' part of one's application.

About me:

B.Tech. Mechanical Engineer 2007 batch from Jamia Millia Islamia.

Grad: 7.27/10
Xth: 71.4%
XIIth: 80%

Worked in Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India (HMSI) for 10 months. Joined DRDO in 2008. Currently a scientist in DRDO.

Work Profile: Techno-Managerial. Can't state much here but I can confidently say that the kind of work that I'm into is not done by more than 50-60 people in India. I'd say exclusivity is the strongest part of my work profile.

Extra-Curriculars: Not much. Participated in a few events here and there at college level. I believe this is my Achilles' heel and I need to work on this.

Recos: Can manage decent ones.

I shall be taking the GMAT in May-June this year. Targeting 750+. I believe I need a higher score on the GMAT to somewhat offset my not-so-good record on the Extra-Curricular front.

I'm planning to join an NGO very soon as a volunteer.

I want to know what else I can do to improve my Extra-Curriculars.

It'll be great if we could share on how to improve the extra-curricular aspect.

Others are also welcome to post with their queries regarding the Extra-Curricular thingy.

Regards.

Prashant

Hi sahniprashant,

For extra-curricular activities, I would look for an area that you are passionate about and where you can make an impact. Business schools are going to not only look at your extra-curricular activities, but more importantly the impact you made there. If you know of anyone working at a non-profit, this would be a great place to start your search.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team