How to get into pre sales profile

Hi All I have done BTech (Chem) and having 8.0 yrs exp in software testing . I am working as test lead for a telecom billing product company for last 3 yrs. I want to shift to presales. Could anyone advice how to proceed. ThanksSumit

Hi All

I have done BTech (Chem) and having 8.0 yrs exp in software testing . I am working as test lead for a telecom billing product company for last 3 yrs. I want to shift to presales. Could anyone advice how to proceed.

Thanks
Sumit

Hi I am a Pre-Sales Consultant myself. Your best bet would be to undergo an MBA (Marketing with Finance would be good) from a Premier B School and then get into an IT Company whee they will take you predominantly for a Pre-Sales role only. You can have one option: Since you already have experience in the Telecom side, you can may be get into the Pre-Sales team of the Telecom Vertical in any IT Company. I hope you must also be exploring the same possibility. Once you are in Pre-Sales, then you will need to work in either Bid Management(RFI,RFP etc)/Market Research Oriented tasks/Handle Customer Visits etc. It is an interesting area to begin your Management Career...!!!

Thanks Harish. Ya I am exploring same option --> getting into pre sales of Telecom Vertical..Could you please tell a typical day of yours..How it starts and ends...

I am working in the Pre-Sales team at HCLT for the last more than 7 years now. Typical Day would be as follows:

1. If you are pre-occupied with an RFI or an RFP, then most of the time would be spent in responding to the RFI/RFP Questions, follow-ups with Delivery/Sales/Other Supporting teams like HR, Finance etc.

2. Regular EMail watch - EMail is the most powerful tool and one must be on top of it 24/7

3. Sometimes, you may get ad-hoc requests like "I need this PPT to be made for an upcoming customer meet" OR "I need this case study, that case study of this customer that customer etc". You will need to cater to this

4. Research Activities may be required to be carried out to chase up with a prospect

So its a lifecycle of activities starting from prospecting till handshake with customer for a deal. And Pre-Sales will be an enjoying role. But to inform you, it is usually a thankless job - and one needs to accept it and live with it. What I mean to say is if you win a customer, people will not come to you (its like a normal scenario), BUT, if you lose a deal or lose a customer, then people will point fingers at the Pre-Sales Department citing that we are not productive, etc etc. However, the opportunities that will come up after a successful stint in pre-sales are very many...

thnx buddy..are 1 year programs by IIM . MDI good for these roles ?

Yes of course...You can look at IIMs, XLRI's 1 Year General Management Programme (GMP Programme). Even SPJIMR's 1 Year PGPM is good. Other alternative could be IMT Ghaziabad's 1 Year PGDM (Executive). These are good programmes for the pre-sales role...

Hi, I have done my MMS in Marketing and have 2 years of experience as a software delveloper. I am looking to get into PreSales roles but most of the companies require 2-3 years of experience for this role.

So, its been difficult for me to find such roles.

Also please guide me how can I move about from Business Dvelopment/Inside Sales to Pre-Sales.