How to get Application fee waiver from Schools

These are some things that I think you could do, so you MIGHT get an application fee waiver. These are NOT sure shot ways, but you can try these. I got a couple of app fee waivers cuz I happened to do these. 1) Attend MBA Tour: Google it…

These are some things that I think you could do, so you MIGHT get an application fee waiver. These are NOT sure shot ways, but you can try these. I got a couple of app fee waivers cuz I happened to do these.

1) Attend MBA Tour: Google it. It happens throughout the world, all the time! I live in Chennai and attended it at Bangalore in Sept 2010 and I got a $90 app fee waiver from Carlson. Just make sure you pay a visit to every stall in the Tour and ask one sensible question, whether it's a school you're looking at or not, ranked or not, etc. no harm at all. Just ensure that all the schools have read the bar code on your MBA tour ID card. The worst that can happen is that you have a couple of more emails knocking on your inbox.

2) Mail questions to Adcoms: You need to do this in say Sept/Oct/Nov 2010, if you're looking at a Fall 2011 program. Ask them specific questions the answers to which won't be on their site, say, specifics on scholarship info, how students are chosen to get into the XYZ fund that the MBA grads run, about housing and conveyance options in the city/town the school is in.. etc.. Let them know if you have a good GMAT, unique profile, etc in that mail. Again do this for every school that you're even considering, as you would have nothing much to lose if the app. is free! (but pray that the essay questions are similar to the ones you've written already :))

Hope this helps.. Comments welcome