How to analyse and benefit from Mock CATS

Hi, It would be good if some could tell their strategies for analysis of their performance after a mock-CAT. One could break up QA into different topics, VA into RC, sentence correction etc., DI into DS, Line charts, bar graphs etc. H…

Hi,
It would be good if some could tell their strategies for analysis of their performance after a mock-CAT.

One could break up QA into different topics, VA into RC, sentence correction etc., DI into DS, Line charts, bar graphs etc.

However, what kind of data should be generated which gives a good feedback for future improvement. e.g. I think, calculating speed in a paper with all 1 mark questions can produce different results with one having both 1 mark and 2 mark questions.

I tried searching the forum but couldn't come up with any good post on the issue. If any such is present, do direct me to the link.

when i analyze mocks i do it in this way...i throw the keys away and solve the paper in unlimited time....solving question 1 by 1 i maintain a log book in which i write the type/topic of question.....weather i have attemped it in mock test or if i din't attempted it wat was the particular reason for not attempting it...and than weather i m able to solve it now withpout key or not....if attempted weather i got it correct or not...if i got them wrong than wat was the reason for dat....weather it was a silly error or grave mistake or wrong funda...or time pressure...than i take the key and see the concept of doin the questions which i cudn't solve even during the analysis...also i search for a better way of doin a particular question....i think in this way by looking at the log book i am able to easily find the topic where my concepts are weak....so ithink this is a gud way of getting benefits from the mocks....

cheers:) 😃

analyze the topics you are good at .

find out the topics you are bad at generally permutations combinations probablity ...

so while choosing qs its but obvious to solve the qs you are good at.

also calculate sectional as well as total accuracy. a good score with a bad accuracy is bad. so try to keep the accuracy at 90%

try out different strategies in different mocks. see what pays off. after a series of fine tuning use that strategy in the actual cat. in actual cat its not advisable to "experiment"

CAT is all about rght selection of questions. while analysing, i see whether i was able to recognise and solve all the easy and medium questions. if the problem is in recognition, whether it is due to underpreparation or due to not understanding the problem. while solving, if i got right answer in right time then it is ok otherwise check the reason of wrong answer- whether underpreparation or errors. review the remaining questions and see whether easy and medium questions have remained unattempted and reason for not attempting them.

Hi Guys,

Just testing out my login id :)

Bye

Hi Guys,

Just testing out my login id :)

Bye

Then test it by making sum valuable addition to the thread naa ..
Or just disguise by asking a relevant doubt, or replying to ne (in relevant threads)....

:) 😃 😃 😃 ..

hi i got a ques. hw gud are the mock test if sit for teh m without any sorta prep. i mean i am aimin for CAT06 and hvnt yet strted ne solid prep, though i did give the free mock test.
now i am in split minds actually shud i do some prep this yr and go for mock tests etc. nxt yr only or shall i sign up for teh AIMCATS neway and keep up my prep side by side.

hey all the xperts out there plz guide me ....cuz if i plan to join the AIMCATS i must hurry right ??

I am sorry if what I write is redundant as I have not checked other responses to this (or other similar posts). My take on the MockCat thingy is this:

Firstly, realize that opinions are like a**holes everyone has one. I think a mistake most people make is by generalizing what the "topper" says. I was told by the powers-to-be that I should take each mock CAT atleast 2-3 times and focus on the questions again and again till I get it into my brain. I was told that an actual mock lasts just 2hours but alteast 6-8hours should be spent on analysis. The result was I managed to do it for about the first month then I started dreading the whole experience. The moment I would take a mock, I would come and hide it in some obscure corner thinking that I will take it again once I am able to finish that chapter on P&C; or that technique in DI. The fate of those mocks is that I am still unable to ascertain where I have put them So STOP dreading analysis and STOP making it into a painful experience. The marathon 8hour post-test analysis sessions might work for some but if you are like me (the basic premise for reading this post) then DON'T DO IT. Make it enjoyable. Try taking up the quant section and try figuring out a what-if-i-were-taking-this-section-again approach and see if you are still there in the top scores. Try to see which were the red herrings you failed to read. Try to see which were the sitting ducks you failed to shoot at. Try talking it in a group. Responses other have might surprise you (Praveen and I would have marked almost identical responses to trick questions which has often led me to an A-ha experience). Or still better confuse you further (sitters for me would be toughies for him and vise-versa). Having such conversations over a smoke or at lunch or just hanging out at Barista seemed to work for me more than having to sit in a clautrophobhic (sp?) room racking my brains over it.

Secondly, there is an undue importance on tough questions. The premise here is that once you solve that damn tough equation using exponentials you will solve everything else that the CAT committee throws at you on that cold November morning. I agree partially but I feel one should focus more on the basic underlying thought process rather than on getting the answer right. Many a times we fail to figure out the rationale and just worry ourselves sick on why we are never able to get it. I remember the famous "Badminton problem" at the CAV quant workshop. I realized that its not so much as getting anything similar in the exam but more to do with the way you approach problems. So next time you see something that makes the JFK assasination look like an open and shut case don't worry too much about it. Remember to see what is the thought process involved. Remember to see what are the different approaches and which one is the best. Remember to tell yourself that you might probably not solving it in the exam but the process of internalizing the problem will in itself help you.

HTH,

Arun

long time since i had seen an HTH,
Arun
Post....!!
where art though d00d..???

n here r my 2 cents...

no use solving the whole paper again.. even if u wanna solve u shd only solve the attemptable Qs..
the ones u will attempt if they come in the CAT itself..
n an analysis of 2 hrs is moreeeee than enuf...!!

c h e e r s

p u n e e t

Some valuable suggestions have poured in. Now its time to incorporate them.

I am working. Hence, cannot afford to give 6-8 hours after each Mock CATs. Thats somwhere like 2-3 days of my study days (post the attempt at the Mock CAT). The general consensus seems to be:- Do not fall into "Analysis Paralysis".

The aim should be on collecting these data points:
A. % Accuracy
B. % Attempts
C. Efficiency in selecting the easy and moderate questions.

This should be done separately for diff sections. And maybe also separately for QA and DI 1 markers and 2 markers. Perhaps, it is much more quicker to generate such data than doing atomic research of the paper.

Even if no significant improvements are made in the concepts and personal strengths, the above data points can help in playing to one's strength. Agreed that a good overall performance is necessary to get a call, a jump in %ile by simply observing the above data points of 1-2 tests can generate lot of confidence boosting.

Papers can have varying levels of difficulty. But A and B should remain consistent across the papers. One can trade-off between B and C, depending on the feel of the papers by glancing over the sections in the first 2-3 min.

If it is also possible to identify one's weak topics in each of the sections by generating some data, it will give info into:
1. Practice the weak areas and/or
2. Leave the questions which generally go wrong.

one way to analyse might be to jus work on the mistakes. spotting sitters would develop over the course of mocks, maybe arnd 10th mock. understanding the mistakes made itself would help boosting scores greatly.

well i've jus started with my series of mocks......

what i do is, after the test, try doing the paper to completion. then analyse the questions i could have done in the time given during the test. Then check on my answers, analyse my mistakes(which obviuosly will be ther), n try to improvise on my strategy.

cheers,
Resly

!. Coz my eng. section is week. Therefore, I revisit all the qz again and go for a rigorous analysis of all the questions. Here, I'm trying to strengthen my weak area, therefore, I need to give it more time.

2. For maths and DI-DS usually I try to find sitters. I think its imp. that you try to find out what all you could have done and then why you couldnt do it in the exam.
Was it exam pressure or silly mistake or whatever.

Many a time I have found out that if you are able to figure out all the sitters you can easily score well (If your accuracy is decent .. ). But depending upon the toughness of the q paper the level of sitters may vary. :grab:

Sm qs which are very lengthy or very tough in quant or di, I never touch. Coz anyway I'm not going to do them in CAT.

Apart from accuracy and stuff, I would recommend to make an analysis of :
" Could have scored " vs. "Scored". This shall provide you with a whole lot of loopholes.

Apart frm this do not leave any area untouched especially quant, practise all these areas upto "moderate" levels. At least, you should never regret about leaving sitters.

Hi,

I have observed that the Level of difficulty of questions in SIMCATS(IMS) is much higher than AIMCATS(TIME).
My friend has consistently scored between 87-95%ile in AIMCATS but when he appeared for SIMCATS he never got above 80%ile.
This is really demotivating.
So how could u make the best out of MOCKCATS in such a acse??

Bye,
Sachin

that may be bcoz the number of ppl taking the SIMCATS from IMS is much more than those of TIME.

so if you are getting 80%ile in ims it may happen that in CAT when the no of students are even more your %ile could drop further.

or it could increase! you can look it either way!

assuming normal distribution(as in all the intelligent students dont go only to one coaching class) i think it will decrease.

Hi,

I have observed that the Level of difficulty of questions in SIMCATS(IMS) is much higher than AIMCATS(TIME).
My friend has consistently scored between 87-95%ile in AIMCATS but when he appeared for SIMCATS he never got above 80%ile.
This is really demotivating.
So how could u make the best out of MOCKCATS in such a acse??

Bye,
Sachin
that may be bcoz the number of ppl taking the SIMCATS from IMS is much more than those of TIME.

so if you are getting 80%ile in ims it may happen that in CAT when the no of students are even more your %ile could drop further.

or it could increase! you can look it either way!

assuming normal distribution(as in all the intelligent students dont go only to one coaching class) i think it will decrease.

Thanks for the prompt reply buddy.

In view of the discussions going on viz., analysis, 2 hrs, 6 hrs, 8 hrs, AIMCATs, SIMCATs, etc.-- ofcourse these are timely, and are blessings in disguise in the form of wake-up call -it's high time for the working fraternity to start preparing seriously if they have been a serious victim of procastination hitherto.

Unsurprisingly, the working fraternity can fish out not more than 2 or 3 hours on a daily basis . This premise raises the following interesting questions:

1. What is the maximum number of hours such aspirant can spend per week?

2. How long can he/she spend for analysis of the paper? How can he minimise the time taken for analysis and maxmise the lessons?

3. How would his comfort levels be, given the time he/she spends per week (particularly non-maths)?

4. Last but not the least, unlike non-working aspirants, week-ends are the most awaited ones for satisfactory preparation. How to plan out a schedule which would compensate for the minimal preparation during the week-days? (But remember we too are human beings, who require some recreation to make the term ' life' meaningful!)

Members of the working fraternity, please help me with your strategies.

Regards
Ranjee4uall

analyze the topics you are good at .

find out the topics you are bad at generally permutations combinations probablity ...

so while choosing qs its but obvious to solve the qs you are good at.

also calculate sectional as well as total accuracy. a good score with a bad accuracy is bad. so try to keep the accuracy at 90%

try out different strategies in different mocks. see what pays off. after a series of fine tuning use that strategy in the actual cat. in actual cat its not advisable to "experiment"

hi,
can u give me an example of a strategy thats being talked about here?

Gurdeesh
hi,
can u give me an example of a strategy thats being talked about here?

Gurdeesh

u just bumped into a 6 yr. old thread dude.......:lookround:

for quick reply avoid posting on dead threads like this one......

not a single post since ages on this thread..:-P

ATB!!!!