How much can i expect in my real test?

I got 78 percentile in Quant and 22 percentile in verbal in GMAT Prep test 1. How much can i expect in my real test?

I got 78 percentile in Quant and 22 percentile in verbal in GMAT Prep test 1.

Its very difficult to draw any conclusions based on just one test. I would not worry about the practise test score too much. Make very good notes of what you learn from your prep and keep going over those notes everyday.

your score seems to suggest that you are not getting some of the easier problems right and/or you are making too many mistakes. go back and look at your test. you may be able to find areas that need work.

let me know if you need any help.

hope this helps
htowner

I am messing up the verbal .Do you think Quant score is ok .Only 8 questions were wrong in quant section .

msrijna Says
I am messing up the verbal .Do you think Quant score is ok .Only 8 questions were wrong in quant section .

If its your first practise test, then its an ok quant score.

obviously, its the verbal thats hurting you. if you are in the US, visit your local library regularly and read through articles from the WSJ, Economist, Scientific American etc. I am sure your verbal skills will improve.

This question really doesnt make sense. What is your target score? If it is above 700, then this score isnt enough.... with this score you would probably get a below 550 score (may be less)....

So the question you should ask is 'what is my target score' and then compare your mock test scores with the target.....

Ketan

I think rather then thinking that how much you should expect in your real test it is better that you improve on your mistakes.
Go back to each and every problem and solve it again(without seeing the answers) and then see if you are doing it again wrong. If you are not able to solve it correctly then the problem is with concept and if you get the right answer that means you were not able to perform becoz you were under pressure.

GMAT is basically a 4 hr online test. To perform well in test you not only need to be good with your fundas but should have the stamina to sit for 4 long hrs. This is one reason why most of the ppl are not able to perform in the test.

My suggestion to you would be: sit and analyse your weak areas and try to work upon them. If u have screwed verbal theh which part in verbal? CR, SC or Reading Comp.

8 mistakes in quant also not good becoz if verbal is your weak area then make quant your strength. You cannot afford any mistakes in quant.

Don't need to worry much. Try and solve the test again and analyse your problem. Go thru all the basic material and after 7 - 10 days again take a test and see how u perform.

What books are you referring to and When are planning to take the test?

Hope it helps..........

pooja

Thanks a lot Pooja for help and suggestions.I am referring to OG and Princeton .I took one test from princeton and got score of 560.

This was my second test from Power Prep.I get good scores in short tests but i dont understand why i screw up the long test.
Does GMAT Score depend on overall performace in quant and verbal or if i do well in quant i could still get good score.
My target is 700

This was my second test from Power Prep.I get good scores in short tests but i dont understand why i screw up the long test.
Does GMAT Score depend on overall performace in quant and verbal or if i do well in quant i could still get good score.
My target is 700

You are not alone... rest assured !

This happens to everyone: Getting good score in small test, but screwing full ones...

Reason: STAMINA

It is no joke to keep up your focus for the entire four hours of the test.... even if you are software enggineer.... Its totally a different ball game.... You need to build up that stamina....

And yes overall performance is important for a target score of 700.... You CANNOT neglect verbal......(what would happen if you got screwed in Quant on the exam day:shock: )

Ketan
Thanks a lot Pooja for help and suggestions.I am referring to OG and Princeton .I took one test from princeton and got score of 560.

My target is 700

My suggestion for you is that go step by step. Don't try to do everything at one time. I don't know for how long you have been preparing but still I will tell you what should be your approach.

First start with OG and solve each and every problem(I mean it). It will help you a lot. Then refer to Kaplan. It is a gud book. PPl say that kaplan test are very difficult but then the material and explanation of sections is very clear and good. So do kaplan also. Princeton is ok but Kaplan and OG are most important.

Power prep should ideally be taken before your real test but since you have already done them its ok. For test you can refer to princeton, kaplan and any other.

As you said you get good scores in short test but screw up the full length test, I would say this is with everyone. Ketan has already told you the reason for it.

One more thing while you do short test do you write issue and arguement? If not, start it now. Don't take it lightly. May be it sounds easy but this is the real crux. On the D-Day u will write them first and then jump into other sections. Its is one hour section and if you are comfortable with it then it will be easy for you to do other sections also. PPl get tired in writing these essays and this where u screw up your rest of the sections.

All the best for ur preparations and try to keep cool and build up your stamina.

pooja

Hi,
Your scoring potential would be in the ballpark of the average of your PP tests give or take 30 points. (The GMAT manual says that your score would be within 30 points of your "true" potential.

Based on your current scores, I strongly suggest you desist this urge to take full length tests for the moment and spend some time firming your fundamentals...especially in the verbal.
Spend some time studying the basics and test your strengths per section thru. "sprint" tests of not more than 10-20 minutes.

I am sure you'd improve your scores this way signficantly. Once you are confident with the sprint tests graduate to longer duration tests and finally to full-length tests complete with the AWA section.

At any rate, do not jump to register for the test at the first available slot now. I don't think you are anywhere near your best score yet!