How Good is Industrial engg and mgmt @ IITK

hi all i want to know whether doing either MBA or M.Tech from IITK is good at all…i have had some negative responses frm a few ppl regarding IITK…as the MBA course is offered by the Industrial Engg and Mgmt, i do hope fellow forum member…

hi all

i want to know whether doing either MBA or M.Tech from IITK is good at all...i have had some negative responses frm a few ppl regarding IITK..as the MBA course is offered by the Industrial Engg and Mgmt, i do hope fellow forum members can enlighten me on this....

i have got M.Tech Admission into the Industrial Engg and Mgmt at IITK..donno much abt the placements....i now count on the esteemed members of this forum to let me have the facts ,placement opportunities and et all...

i am in bad need of this info coz i have got a job offer frm CTS...and last date for paying fee for IITK is 2nd July

regards
pavan

Hi,

Technically and a a bit by content MTech (industrial Engg & Mgmt) is similar to MBA. There isn't much difference except for more of mgmt kind of approach in MBA which includes Mgmt games, cases etc.
As far as MBA is concerned IIT K is not highly rated taken into perspective many other B-Schools. But MBA programme at IIT K did have 100 % placemens which they can easily manage given the good reputation in the industry. I don't consider it's a problem for u not being placed. May a problem here might be you might ultimately end up in similar company like CTS but may be with slightly with higher pay. I guess as of now CTS pays 2.4 to 2.6 Lakhs per annum. After two years or so it might pay upto 2.8lakhs. You might be drawing some 3.2 to 3.7 L after completing your masters.
If u have inclination towards studies then go for IIT K ,else if u r looking for a mgmt career later and join an IIM join CTS work for 2 yrs appear for CAT. My suggestion would be join IIT K , you would be getting stripend close to 70k per year and also an IIT brand, and your almost equivalent to an MBA. You most probably after 2 yrs would be working with MBAs from top B-Schools and u will be drawing the same scale as they do.
So ultimately its u r choice if u ask me I wld rather say join IIT K MTech

Swaroop

thanx swaroop for ur prompt reply

i will make up my decision in a day or two...

once again many a thanx man

regards

As far as i could get , u dunno have an aim of doing research. In that case dont go for the MTech in Indo IITK. Its not at alll a good idea. After MTech it might happen that u dont even get a job offer. The MTech placements there is approx 55-60% that too with very few companies giving extra package for mtech over a btech. The only Exception is MTech in ComputerSC. Otherwise most of the people who do MTech there are either driven by their wish for Reaserch or if they have no prospectes of any job at the moment. My 0.02$ dont take up MTech in Indo there ever if u want to end up as a job.
Regarding MBA. Again the ranking of IITK in that is not good, and i have difficulty in believeing that it has got 100% placements. Maybe, but 1 thing is sure, the Avg. /Med. salary is def. lower. So as pointed out earlier u may end up with say 30-40 k more than what u have. A better idea is sure to go for CTS and then try for CAT or maybe someother top institutes next year. And yes, apart from the top 10 intis, its a major plus and helps u immensely in the placement post MBA. SO even if u gaian land up in IITK MBA ext year, u wud be in a much better position

my Advice - go for CTS

In my letter I was taking into the placement record of both MTECH regular (CSE,ECE,EEE) and MBA batches which had 100 % placements ; If as stated I m not fully aware of only having 60 % placements at IIT K u need to clarify it u r self, but i do say IIT is great institute, If u r n't interested in studying go for CTS and start earning 2.4 l pa.

pswaroop Says
In my letter I was taking into the placement record of both MTech regular (CSE,ECE,EEE) and MBA batches which had 100 % placements ; If as stated I m not fully aware of only having 60 % placements at IIT K u need to clarify it u r self, but i do say IIT is great institute, If u r n't interested in studying go for CTS and start earning 2.4 l pa.

MTech of CompSc. & Ele may have 100% placement, but overall, indo dept included don't have 100% palcement, and its not the case with just IITK but in all IITs the scenario is same. Even few Mtechs form CompSc. get in companies like CTS only. MTech from an IIT is not a good choice to make for campus placement purpose. IITs are known for their BTechs. ha if u r hell bent of becoming a researcher/prof, nothing better in India atlest than an MTech from IIT.

I have no knowledge about the 100% placement in IITK so wont say much on that, except that given the preception about IITK MBA, the quality of jobs may not be a very good , more so for a fresher. Its almost always difficult to place freshers when the reputation of the institute is not very good. This is one of the reasons why IIM K & I formed work ex dominated batch in the initial years of their formation, tho now they are moving away from that...
So being a fresher it is very likely that 1 may end up witha job profile similar to CTs at the end of two yrs. Thats y i suggets to take up CTs and go for MBA next yr, try for bigger intis, and even if u end up in IITK next yr, it wud be better than IITK this yr, coz of workex, the chances of a better job profile wud be much higher

Thanx frnds for ur views on it..
i will make up my decision bearing all these facts and views

thanx once again