how does one get into stern school of business???

Hey guys, just signed up 4 this thing…say could anyone give me a lil’ gyaan as to what does it take to get into Stern, NYU??? heard that if one wants to make a mark on wallstreet, thats the conventional way to go…how far is that true?? …

Hey guys,

just signed up 4 this thing...say could anyone give me a lil' gyaan as to what does it take to get into Stern, NYU??? heard that if one wants to make a mark on wallstreet, thats the conventional way to go...how far is that true??

Thanx

The Smiling Assassin

p.s. i know the name's a lil out there, but if anyone is a CounterStrike buff, they will understand...

i am not sure where you got the correlation from!!
Stern is known for its Finance program but I am not sure what kind of Impact you are looking to make on wall street.
If its trading, markets, Protofilo managment etc you might want to do a CFA/CFP before an MBA...unless you are already from finance background or have done these already

Hi guys,

well, i'm a chartered accountant from pune, but working in mumbai at the moment...just wanted to find out how many other's r like me out there, looking to break into the elusive world of investment banking...
say, while on the topic, does anyone have some dope on the new concept of 'kpo's started by all the US firms? u'know, like morgan stanley, jp morgan, goldman sachs and the likes...
what i want to inquire is that would i be commiting harakiri by entering such organizations and be tagged as a bpo worker going ahead?????
really anxious to know the answer to this one.

not many in the US do a CFA/cPa if they wanan get into ibanking...boom just do an mna from a top scholl and if market isnt tight and ur interview goes well,,ull be taken as an associate at a top ibank / boutique firm ...

what exactly KPOs arei dontk now..someone cud shedl ight on that ....

the action has shifted to asia...why is all the FDI coming here and to china...there must be a reason m&a; isnt happening on a big scale out there right now...america is in recovery mode from its recesiion ...when itll fulyl recover no one knows,,,so until such time best to stay put in ur home country unless u wanna bank on doing an mba in the us the next 2 yrs and then landing a swell job upon graduation .....well americans themselves are fiding ti hard to get into ibanks and all at this time, let alone international students whod need ot be sponsored for work visas

read this boon called monky business (available thru amazon) to get the skinny on ibanking in general (the book is not dry stuff but humorous) and visit the message boards at vault.com and wetfeet.com to find out more avout the professsion ....

assasin if u have any specific qs , just pm me ...but in an utshell what ti wud take to get into stern or columbia is a great gmat score, excellent referecnes, stellar workex and most importantly solid essays ...

i am not sure where you got the correlation from!!
Stern is known for its Finance program but I am not sure what kind of Impact you are looking to make on wall street.
If its trading, markets, Protofilo managment etc you might want to do a CFA/CFP before an MBA...unless you are already from finance background or have done these already
Hey guys,

just signed up 4 this thing...say could anyone give me a lil' gyaan as to what does it take to get into Stern, NYU??? heard that if one wants to make a mark on wallstreet, thats the conventional way to go...how far is that true??

Thanx

The Smiling Assassin

p.s. i know the name's a lil out there, but if anyone is a CounterStrike buff, they will understand...

cannot guide u on how to get into stern... but yes stern has certainly got a good brand name in wall street n other financial biggies @nyc. most of the stern alums r into wall street or other major finance conglomerates...this helps in ur career into finance, once u pass out from stern.
apart from tht stern being in the heart of the city has good linkages with finance sector companies...students get good exposure during their 2 yrs in new york city. n yes, NYC is a true cosmopolitan capital of the world...

no doubt, new york city is a place to be for finance....

p.s.: m not tht interested into finance but unfortunately m currently working for a major banking firm @ new york city...

refer to a book on b-schools published by Petersons. I forgot the actual name of the book though.

Columbia is far higher up than NYU and is in NY...
If u want to aim high in finance aim for columbia...

K

getting into stern would be as difficulat as any other top b-school in US
Even I was looking at stern have posted some detials regd it on my blog, link below. It is a good option for Finance. Infact it is known for its finace program and being in the financial captial of the world helps. Now that you have mentioned that you are CA trying to get into IB, it does make sense.
your chances would depend on lot of factors like career goals, work ex, GMAt, recos etc
there are other schools also known for thier Finace program that you might want to look up