How do I go?? A fear..

Hi, I have a doubt regarding my plan of doing an international MBA and I thought of taking suggestions from you… Profile: An engineer, B.Tech. from a reputed engg college, having average or little below average acad (6.8/10). At…

Hi,

I have a doubt regarding my plan of doing an international MBA and I thought of taking suggestions from you...

Profile:

An engineer, B.Tech. from a reputed engg college, having average or little below average acad (6.8/10). At the moment total work exp of 2 years. 1 year and 4 months in Industrial Sales with a well known MNC and 8 Months in Medical Devices Sales, again with an MNC giant.

Problem:

Well.. actual story starts from here.. I was planning to prepare for GMAT, along with my job for last two months. But my job being in sales & marketing field, my life @ job was so hectic that I never used to come back to home before 11 or 12 PM. I never used to get holidays.. I was getting paid a lot in terms of money but no personal life and worstly, no time for preparation.. For last month I tried to prepare along with job, I tried different ways out.. but couldn't really succeed, having lot of job pressure.. Company wasn't ready to give me leave without pay.. I wanted to focus on GMAT prep and hence an MBA. So finally I was left with no option but to leave the job.. and so did I. Yeah, I left the job couple of weeks back and now I'm completely concentrating to GMAT and I will take it in Sept.

Now my doubts are....

If I'm unemployed when I apply.. will it have any impact on my chances of admission ? If yes, then what should I do?

If I get good GMAT score and I don't join any job till the time of admission.. would it be ok with the school?? And if so, how do I convince the panel if asked about my resignation? or Should I try to convince the panel about my leaving the job and my great focus on taking GMAT and doing an MBA.. blah blah..!!!?

I'm bit confused as to how I should go now... I mean, after my GMAT (may be in early September) which activity I can do for few months (till admission) or any other possible option; so that I can have total work ex of 3 yrs till the time I start my course of an MBA..

How do I stand as far as chances of my admission are concerned?
Would colleges consider my app, I having changed 2/3 jobs in the period of 3 years?:(

Please let me know ur views.. Sometimes I feel I did a big mistake by leaving a job but then I had no option if I decided to do an MBA.. I hope there is a positive way out make my journey to an MBA successful..

I'm mainly interested in ISB, NSU and if possible, some US Universities...

Regards,

-Ppapers.:

Apologies if my response sounds from someone with a generation gap, but having worked for over 13 years now, it is bound to come across that way.

Even after resigning from your job, if you are still talking in terms of "...maybe in September....." then I would question the reasons of your quitting. I think it was a rushed decision on your part to quit. Secondly, if you are absolutely sure you wish to do an MBA, then let your actions speak. Register for GMAT and take the exam. Set your goal post. You don't need anyone on this forum to tell you what to do.
However, if you are unsure, then the least you should have is a bird in hand.

Look at another aspect - 2 years, 2 jobs on your CV - isn't a very healthy equation. It would conevy to the reader that you are a slippery professional.

My 2 pence - get back into a job ASAP. Work for a few more years at least if you wish to derive the max out of an MBA. And in every decision that you take going forward, please consider a backup plan - it's your own career and professional life that is at stake in every decision.
Good luck to you dost!

Ppapers,

Your focus is admirable, your decision however is (with all due respect) premature. Firstly if you want to pursue a Top International MBA, 2 years of experience ain't enough. Secondly, no adcom in the world would approve your story of unemployment by choice to focus on the GMAT because top b-schools are attended by professionals who can manage dual or multiple priorities.

Write the GMAT, but get a job and fast. Then work for 2-3 years both to progress in your career and portray stability to the adcom of the school you apply to. Your GMAT score won't leave you for 5 years...

If not me, at least listen to Sandeep, the man is talking a LOT of sense.

dude.. tell the guys that u quit job to get high gmat and be assured that ur application goes in the trash-can. period.

Hi ppapers,
I am sure there is a truth to all the comments above .... But to me its not all that bad ..... I am sure that if you put forward blatantly that you quit the job for GMAT .... its not healthy ... but you can justify it by putting something exceptional .... like say: "I quit the job because I wanted work for the Mumbai serial blast victims for a few months, to bring their maladies to public"
or "I wanted to spend some time with the school kids of some interior villages"

See sitting completely idle and keeping (or atleast showing) only activity as GMAT .... Bad thinking .... Could have worked with CAT not Schools abroad for sure.... ISB might not mind it to some extent (great Indian Mentality)

Another part of it ... Switching two jobs in 2 years in ok to some extent if you can justify well ... for example I shifted from a Business domain to a technology domain .... but you cant do it very often

Dont leave ur Application in the "just another candidate" category .... Best of luck Buddy ... you are very motivated ... care to share some motivation with me 😉 ??

Thanks ats, baccardisprite and bdsam for giving ur views.

Bdsam, ur reply seems to be very practical and encouraging. Thanks !
ATS and Baccardisprite dudes,

I know the fact that I can't say to the college that I left the job to focus on GMAT. I know it and I understand it well... That is one of the reasons I wanted to get suggestions from you as to how should I convince them and go ahead. Please reply me in that direction. Moreover I have few personal responsibilities and hence I can't do an MBA after 2 more years of job exp. By the way till the time I start my MBA, I would have 3 yrs exp. Now let me know with such an exp which all colleges I can get in or at least have chance of getting in???

Guys, I know I've done wrong and I see no need to make me realise it again and again. The intension behind posting it was to get some fair ideas as to how I can convince people and get an admission soon or rather few things that I need to concentrate more on while facing interviews etc.. Rather than replying to my actual questions, I got the same reply which I've been hearing since I left the job. Looking forward to get some positive replies whether I stand a chance to get into an MBA or not, provided a decent GMAT score.

Regards,

-Ppapers: .

Ppapers,

Your focus is admirable, your decision however is (with all due respect) premature. Firstly if you want to pursue a Top International MBA, 2 years of experience ain't enough. Secondly, no adcom in the world would approve your story of unemployment by choice to focus on the GMAT because top b-schools are attended by professionals who can manage dual or multiple priorities.

Write the GMAT, but get a job and fast. Then work for 2-3 years both to progress in your career and portray stability to the adcom of the school you apply to. Your GMAT score won't leave you for 5 years...

If not me, at least listen to Sandeep, the man is talking a LOT of sense.
ppapers Says
Guys, I know I've done wrong and I see no need to make me realise it again and again. The intension behind posting it was to get some fair ideas as to how I can convince people and get an admission soon or rather few things that I need to concentrate more on while facing interviews etc.. Rather than replying to my actual questions, I got the same reply which I've been hearing since I left the job. Looking forward to get some positive replies whether I stand a chance to get into an MBA or not, provided a decent GMAT score. Regards, -Ppapers: .

Believe me buddy, asking you to reenter the workforce anyhow is NOT to remind you of your mistake. Adcomm do (I admit somewhat subjectively) view current employment, or lack thereoff with some concern.

Assessment and recommendations:

1) Outperform on the GMAT - you'll need to be at the top of the pile (750+).
2) Send your CV out try and get a job immediately as you finish OR start doing something else that keeps you productive until you (hopefully) get admission. Leave the job after the admission and after the school completes the background check on you.
3) Assuming you don't get back to the workforce, your chances with your current 2 odd years are slim unless you make a case on the application essays adcomms can't overlook and find interesting enough to interview. Meaning, you essays have to contain solid rationale for an MBA, why now, why the particular college. In your case, if you're unemployed, you will need to reveal your not working while giving the GMAT or applying, but your rationale for leaving the job should be beyond focus on the GMAT.
4) In your favor is that you're not an IT person :-). Medical devices is one of the hottest industries to be in right now.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decisions.

Papers,

It is a cliche but leaving the job was not the best of ideas ! Anyway, unlike others, I think that it was not such a bad decision if u can use it well and u r 'lucky'.

Since u have already left the job for the GMAT, It makes tremendous sense to actually give the exam before doin anything else......Work ur ass out to do well in the exam........

Once u r through with the exam, join a job!

Abhi