HKUST 2009 application process & admits

Dear Saket,

Since the school has a batch size under 100 , with very good diversity , u wont find many Indians in the class which leads to low alumni overall from India , also most of the them prefer to work in Hongkong/China ..and hence overall lower awareness in the mass.

ATB
Preeti

nice to know abt HKUST. what about the placement scenario. is MBA degree of HKUST enough to get you a decent job in Asia (as an ISB/IIM degree in India assures a good job).
is the degree given value by the recruiters? or is it the pre MBA work ex, which matters more than degree(like NUS, where MBA degree is not given any importance).

and what about the brand name of HKUST in India?

thanks
P.S.- I dont want to be jobless or underemployed after a MBA from HKUST.

the journey is important and not the destination...

Hello

I'm going to be applying for HK UST in 2009. I'm British with a financial services background and a China theme.

2 years for UBS Investment Bank in London (clients in Europe and US, lots of travelling)
1.5 years working as a financial consultant based in Beijing, China while learning chinese on a very intensive course.
Good mandarin (enough to hang out with all-chinese groups, ive been taking a lot of lessons!)
Worked for 3 scientific projects for 4 months at a time in Africa (Tanzania and Ghana), and in Grenada. Not paid though, except for flights/accomodation/food.
Passed CFA level III
Doing GMAT in Nov, getting 750ish in practice
Scholarships, extra curriculars, etc no real gaps I think.

What im concerned about is that my work exp at 3 years is the lower end of the pile, and my age if accepted would be 26 at the start of the program, which makes me relatively young. Which means I have the ace the essays/other things, gonna be a challenge.

Anyway, goodluck everyone!

Preeti,

I am also an aspirant for HKUST MBA....how good are my chances of securing an addmission?

I have work ex of 6+years... 2.5 years in India with Easy Bill, a Hero Group startup company that time, with my role in S/W design and development.
Rest 4.5+ years in Malaysia in S/W design and Consultancy for Banking and Credit ard industry.

GMAT Score is 680, Maths 50, Verbal 31.
AWA: Result awaited

My accads are average, though I do have a strong extra curricular activities background.

Thanks,
Yogesh

Hi Preeti

I am looking fwd to HKUST. and I have read the other thread in which Prathap and Randhir (your seniors i guess) have given a real good insight about the school.
I am looking for a career in IT/General Management but not in finance as of now. Since HK is financial hub, could you throw some light on the IT/General management jobs in HK, China. yes, i know it depends alot on the current scenario, companies, my profile and so many other things, but could you give some input on IT/Gen management jobs.
Just want to know if it is really difficult to land in a good non financial job?
my profile:
work ex: 2.5 yrs IT, good companies
GMAT: 700/5.0
BE- 74%
XII - 85.6%
X - 82.4%
ECs- decent
am a bit inclined towards jobs in asia only.. hk, china.. no probs
Thanks

Hey Preeti,
I am currently in the process of writing my essays. Since u r a student at HKUST I just wanted to know the various campus clubs and significant events(by name)that take place during the year.

I want to show that I can play a significant role in organizing these events. Please help

Dear HKUST Students / Alumni,

I am in the middle of finalizing my CV for HKUST. What's your suggestion on the length of the same? I have already compressed it from 4 pages to almost 1 and a half. Is it advisable to shrink it further to 1 page or a 1.5 to 2 pages will do.

Thanks in advance,
Yogesh

Hi !

Honestly , no one other than the MBA programme office knows how good your chances are to get in.

But all what I can say from my experience of last year is that all the sections in the entire application are important . They dont give a lot of weightage to just one factor . Be it GMAT , workex , acads or extracirc..everything is equally important.. So dont worry about your acads so much and u could try to highlight your workex in your essays .

ATB,
Preeti

Preeti,

I am also an aspirant for HKUST MBA....how good are my chances of securing an addmission?

I have work ex of 6+years... 2.5 years in India with Easy Bill, a Hero Group startup company that time, with my role in S/W design and development.
Rest 4.5+ years in Malaysia in S/W design and Consultancy for Banking and Credit ard industry.

GMAT Score is 680, Maths 50, Verbal 31.
AWA: Result awaited

My accads are average, though I do have a strong extra curricular activities background.

Thanks,
Yogesh

Good Luck to you

Hello

I'm going to be applying for HK UST in 2009. I'm British with a financial services background and a China theme.

2 years for UBS Investment Bank in London (clients in Europe and US, lots of travelling)
1.5 years working as a financial consultant based in Beijing, China while learning chinese on a very intensive course.
Good mandarin (enough to hang out with all-chinese groups, ive been taking a lot of lessons!)
Worked for 3 scientific projects for 4 months at a time in Africa (Tanzania and Ghana), and in Grenada. Not paid though, except for flights/accomodation/food.
Passed CFA level III
Doing GMAT in Nov, getting 750ish in practice
Scholarships, extra curriculars, etc no real gaps I think.

What im concerned about is that my work exp at 3 years is the lower end of the pile, and my age if accepted would be 26 at the start of the program, which makes me relatively young. Which means I have the ace the essays/other things, gonna be a challenge.

Anyway, goodluck everyone!

Yogesh,

You may consider shrinking it to one page .

ATB,
Preeti

Dear HKUST Students / Alumni,
I am in the middle of finalizing my CV for HKUST. What's your suggestion on the length of the same? I have already compressed it from 4 pages to almost 1 and a half. Is it advisable to shrink it further to 1 page or a 1.5 to 2 pages will do.
Thanks in advance,
Yogesh

Yogesh - I am applying to HKUST this year as well, but am surprised to know that you have to upload CV. I did not find any such mention or link within the application. Maybe I missed, could you let me know where to find the CV requirement in the app ?

Preeti - Did you have to upload your CV while applying last year ?

Thanks
Kuldeep

Yogesh,

ATB,
Preeti

Kuldeep,

You don't have to upload it on site, but sooner or later, you'll need it.

Yogesh

Fair enough. Thanks.

By the way, I was wondering if the group has started to draft essays. I am particularly stuck on the 6th essay : What do you want the Admissions Committee to know about you as a person?

I am unable to decide if this is a 'strenth/weakness' question or a 'personality/passions' question. All comments from current and prospective students are most welcome.

Kuldeep,

I haven't even started my essays yet.... finishing them for NBS. 1st Deadline is 17th December ... right? Will start soon and let you know. Anyways!! I have similar essay for NBS and I mentioned things which I couldn't mention in other essays.
Best of Luck
Yogesh

Hi preeti,

Can u please let us knw the nature of the admsson process followed at HKUST (rollin or staged) ?

Cheers
Abi

Yogesh,

ATB,
Preeti

HKUST follows staged process and has 2 rounds of application intake.

Hi preeti,

Can u please let us knw the nature of the admsson process followed at HKUST (rollin or staged) ?

Cheers
Abi

I dont recollect uploading it .. they had asked work info in one of the sections.

Yogesh - I am applying to HKUST this year as well, but am surprised to know that you have to upload CV. I did not find any such mention or link within the application. Maybe I missed, could you let me know where to find the CV requirement in the app ?

Preeti - Did you have to upload your CV while applying last year ?

Thanks
Kuldeep

Thank u very much for the info :)

preeti2909 Says
HKUST follows staged process and has 2 rounds of application intake.
Hi Preeti

I am looking fwd to HKUST. and I have read the other thread in which Prathap and Randhir (your seniors i guess) have given a real good insight about the school.
I am looking for a career in IT/General Management but not in finance as of now. Since HK is financial hub, could you throw some light on the IT/General management jobs in HK, China. yes, i know it depends alot on the current scenario, companies, my profile and so many other things, but could you give some input on IT/Gen management jobs.
Just want to know if it is really difficult to land in a good non financial job?
my profile:
work ex: 2.5 yrs IT, good companies
GMAT: 700/5.0
BE- 74%
XII - 85.6%
X - 82.4%
ECs- decent
am a bit inclined towards jobs in asia only.. hk, china.. no probs
Thanks

Hong Kong have a current drive towards IT and Technology. As such there will be a surge in opportunity. www. cyberport.hk and the Hong Kong science and Technology parks are up and running and are incubating many technology companies. In terms of General management, there are consumer goods companies who recruit in Hong Kong such as LVMH, Hong Kong is a shopper paradise so many consumer companies have offices in Hong Kong. Most jobs are focused around HK/China including the tech companies like google, microsoft, skype etc. Although not traditionally an IT Hub, the finance sector always needs IT managers, and with the initiatives of the government in trying to bring in more technology companies, its set to improve. In terms of China, there are plenty of technology companies with regional head offices setting upi and establishing there. The prerequisite for most mainland jobs is the requirement to speak Mandarin.