HKU MBA 2012 - Aspirants

Hi Everyone, I couldn’t find a dedicated thread for HKU-MBA 2012-13 aspirants. So, have started this thread to first look for people who also might be applying to HKU, and second to invite comments on the admission process from HKU-MBA alumni…

Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for HKU-MBA 2012-13 aspirants. So, have started this thread to first look for people who also might be applying to HKU, and second to invite comments on the admission process from HKU-MBA alumni.

Thanks...

Here's my first question. "Do I have a good chance of getting through to the full-time program?"

My profile's as follows:

GMAT -- 680
Work Ex -- 4 years (Big 4 Accountancy Firm)
MBA (Finance) -- BIMTECH, Greater Noida
MS Finance / CFA -- ICFAI, Hyderabad
Under Grads -- Commerce (passed with Hons.)
Other Acads -- decent

Your comments will be most helpful.

@ ashwingoel84 ..I'm planning to apply for HKU - 2012 Full-Time MBA Program too.

My profile

Demograhy: Male/Indian/25
Industry : IT-Banking Products
Work-Ex : 5.1 by Aug 2012
GMAT : 730

The application portal looks quite different from the other b-school one's. And, a greater emphasis on Interview.

Hi Guys,

I am also looking for HKU Full Time MBA program for 2012 intake.

My profile:
GMAT: 650
4+ Years experience in IT - Solutions (Samsung)

My aim to go for consulting sector in IT domain.

Is HKU right college for me?

Guys, please throw some light into this.

Hi All,

It is useless asking for profile evaluation. Even a 650 guy can make it through while a 780 guy might fail.
It would be better if we discuss the following:
1. Career prospects of HKUST MBA
2. Its core specialization and strength areas
3. Dates and deadlines
4. Essays
5. Batch profile
6. Other misc college info

Hi All,

It is useless asking for profile evaluation. Even a 650 guy can make it through while a 780 guy might fail.
It would be better if we discuss the following:
1. Career prospects of HKUST MBA
2. Its core specialization and strength areas
3. Dates and deadlines
4. Essays
5. Batch profile
6. Other misc college info

Hi Utsav,
I was looking into HKU which I suppose is different from HKUST Business School.
If you have any idea about the following for HKU, please help me:
1. Career Prospects - in terms of choosing the Consulting career

Vishal.

Ohhh...I am not aware of that :)

Maybe you can do some research and let me know as well.

What i could get from the HKU MBA site and going through the placement profile and course, the college is much bend towards the finance stream.

But this does not means that people opting for management consulting has no role to play.

Consulting companies do visit the college.

What i could get from the HKU MBA site and going through the placement profile and course, the college is much bend towards the finance stream.

But this does not means that people opting for management consulting has no role to play.

Consulting companies do visit the college.

definitely its hong kong and the college statistics prove that, its all finance, but fmcg & consulting also hold the number 2 spot..
is detailed information on placements available anywhere?

Hi All, I too am interested in applyinng to their MBA programme. However a look at their prospectus higlights that they are very China focussed. Is that correct? In that case, what are the career opportunities ?
My profile
29-F/700/7 yrs/IT. Want to move into strategic/management consulting.

Please share your views.

Hi All,

I was looking to apply for this college, but the fees is shooting way over my budget. I want to know if we can completely rely on bank loan for both tuition fee and living expenses (if we manage to get thru)?
Do we get a chance to work part time for our living if it mandates?

Furthermore, do I stand a chance with this?

Sex: Male
GMAT: 710 (49Q, 38V)
W.EX: 5.3Y by August-2012 (in IT yaar what else)
Acads: just average
Extra Curriculars: decent (If I had to sound modest)
: Strong (If I had to project them well)

Thanks in advance
Pradeep Mavilla

delete it wrongly posted here

Sorry

Hi All, I too am interested in applyinng to their MBA programme. However a look at their prospectus higlights that they are very China focussed. Is that correct? In that case, what are the career opportunities ?
My profile
29-F/700/7 yrs/IT. Want to move into strategic/management consulting.

Please share your views.

Hi,

I am looking for the same stream 😃

Hi,

I am applying to the MBA program for 2012 intake.
I have one query from the application.
Under the section English Requirement Sections:

There is a section which is as follows:
Exemption^1,2 Please note that exemption will only be granted in exceptional circumstances and the outcome of your application for exemption will be disclosed at a very late stage. If you do not have a valid TOEFL score by then, you will not be eligible for admission to our taught postgraduate programmes in the coming academic year. You are therefore strongly advised to take the TOEFL or other recognized English proficiency test listed above, even though you intend to apply for exemption. (max. 200 words)

I need to know since my Graduation was done in English medium i should be waived of for TOEFL exam.
So what i have to write here?

If anyone has any idea please help me.

Vishal.

Hello All

Can anyone please tell me,what is the total intake for 2012...

Hi,

I am applying to HKU MBA Program for 2012 intake.

I have two queries:
1. Referees has to submit their recommendations to me and I have to send to HKU in the following address by post:
Faculty of Business and Economics, The University of Hong Kong, Room 104, Cyberport 4, 100 Cyberport Road, Hong Kong
My question is what should I mention in the subject field?
There has to be some reference (like my application nos etc., to these documents linked to my application right?

If anyone knows about it, please help.

Regards,
Vishal Kr Sinha

Hey all,

The application process is very tedious at HKU I must say. We need to courier the official transcripts and also hard copies of the references. Am I missing something?

Yes, indeed it is. However i negotiated with them telling them that i would submit all the hard copy documents ( including LORs) in person when i meet them for interview on Dec 3rd, here in Bangalore
They happily agreed

Puys... i have a query. does the chances of getting in decrease considerably if someone applies towards the end of January(i.e. before the deadline of Round 1).

Also when is it better to apply? Towards the end of Round 1 or start of Round 2?

Thanks in advance.:cheers:

Puys... i have a query. does the chances of getting in decrease considerably if someone applies towards the end of January(i.e. before the deadline of Round 1).

Also when is it better to apply? Towards the end of Round 1 or start of Round 2?

Thanks in advance.:cheers:

Apply when ready! There's no ideal time. 😃