Hku - Fbe (mba)

Hi folks, I’m all ready with my application to the MBA program at HKU - FBE. Will submit by Monday (16th Jan) or so. I thought I’ll start a thread to help answer some q’s that other prospective applicants to this program might have. Of course…

Hi folks,

I'm all ready with my application to the MBA program at HKU - FBE. Will submit by Monday (16th Jan) or so. I thought I'll start a thread to help answer some q's that other prospective applicants to this program might have. Of course, I'm no subject matter expert on HKU but I've done a fair bit of research. And yes, I'm looking to learn more about the school from you folks as well. Incidentally, it ranks highest on my list of preferred b-schools.

My profile:
Work exp: 3 years (BPO)
GMAT: 710
Acads: avg undergrad (its a pity nobody cares for how you performed in school)
Co-curriculars: good
Case for MBA: good - hope the adcoms think the same!

Hope to get some good discussion going about this brilliant school.

Cheers!
KrYpTiCKluE

interesting...why HKU ?

well, I think it was a perfect fit for me... the nature of my post-mba aspirations required that my business school had focus on a globalizing Asia and strength in Business Strategy... the Faculty of Business & Economics provided this... and much more - small batch size (40 odd), international perspective (last term at LBS), very strong research backbone (6 research centres), quality of students (I'll prolly be the least experienced if I get admit) etc...

Ok...makes sense - the focus though seems to be primarily on China if that interests you then it seems to be a good program.

What about the 'cultural' fit? If you intend to return to India at the end of the program then its just 9 months of 'adjustment'...

Do you know any current/past students?
Do you anticipate any language problem?
Is the AACSB accredition expected anytime soon?

1. Yeah, post mba I'm looking to capitalize on the boom in the knowledge services outsourcing domain which is slated to primarily hit India, China and to some extent other A-pac countries. Now that I have first hand knowledge of the Indian BPO (and to some extent KPO) scene, I am looking forward to gaining insights into how this industry operates in the other services outsourcing giant... China. So a China-Asiapac focus is a good thing for me.

2. The class has good ethnic diversity... so I will definitely not be the 'odd one out'.

3. I dont know any past students but I'm in touch with a current student... actually he's responsible for handling some of the MBA related queries to HKU - FBE... and it looks like my 'account' has been assigned to him!

4. Language prob: not in the campus... outside in the city - yeah, but thats the least of my worries right now.

5. AACSB accredition: I didnt know what this was... till you asked and I looked it up in Google. Frankly, I don't know how much it matters to have/not have this accreditation. Maybe you could tell me.

1.i always thought india was the services superpower, isnt china the manufacturing hub of the world

2 and 3. trust me there are ppl who have been miserable during the course of their studies - in turn affecting their studies and placement etc hence the question

4. AACSB , EQUIS and there's one more- are benchmarks - it increases the 'travel' of your degree. Again, it may not matter to you if you're focussed on Asia. just a 'nice to have' perhaps. HKU is in the process of acquiring this accreditation, just curious abt the status

1. Ofcourse, India is a services superpower, but I am not talking about the entire 'Services' industry - only the Business Process & Knowledge services outsourcing piece of it. China is slated to match India's BPO revenues by 2008, and it'll be second only to India in the KPO vertical as well. I've seen the Indian side, now would want to learn more about arch rival!

2. Like I said - no language prob in campus! And yeah, I'll most prolly be back in India for a job.

4. Thanks, gathered that much from a website as well. I believe the better the reputation of the univ/school, the lesser significance these accreditations will hold. Harvard prolly doesnt need one at all! Though not in HBS's league, FBE is still a top-3 business school in Asia and can attract good talent and high profile recruiters alike. (FBE has the EQUIS accreditation btw).

1. Ofcourse, India is a services superpower, but I am not talking about the entire 'Services' industry - only the Business Process & Knowledge services outsourcing piece of it. China is slated to match India's BPO revenues by 2008, and it'll be second only to India in the KPO vertical as well. I've seen the Indian side, now would want to learn more about arch rival!

2. Like I said - no language prob in campus! And yeah, I'll most prolly be back in India for a job.

4. Thanks, gathered that much from a website as well. I believe the better the reputation of the univ/school, the lesser significance these accreditations will hold. Harvard prolly doesnt need one at all! Though not in HBS's league, FBE is still a top-3 business school in Asia and can attract good talent and high profile recruiters alike. (FBE has the EQUIS accreditation btw).

Hi,
First of all best of Luck for your HKU process.
I like to know what is the current rank of the HKU in asia or in world (esp the prog
related to IT) and also i will be grateful if you can give the rough estimate how musch
will be the expense of total program (college fees+ housing+ lodging).
And also whats the duration of the program .
What about the visa? Does it take time? as i have heard that Chinese are hard in dealing in case of Visa?

Thanks in advance

Him

Hey Himanshu,

1. The MBA programme at HKU- Faculty of Business & Economics is ranked#1 in Asia by The Economist (http://mba.eiu.com/).

2. Total expense ~ Rs.22 lacs

3. Duration: 14 months

4. I am afraid I do not know enough about the visa processing time. Will try to find out.

Cheers!
KrYpTiCKluE

KK,

All the best for your MBA and future plans.
Do share your experience with us if you get in.

Hi,
Thanks for the Useful Info.
By Faculty of Business & Economics do u mean it ahs good rank in No It areas.
any info abt ranking of its IT rel course (MBA)...
reg the amount u mentioned is it only fees or it includes living expense too.

Thanks and best of luck.

Regds
Him

Himanshu,

I don't quite understand what you mean by the "IT related course(MBA)". If you are talking about specializations, the MBA at HKU - FBE is not a technology MBA. You might want to research the MBA programmes of HKUST (Hong Kong) or Queens (Canada) - both are among the top programmes in their respective regions.

The amount I mentioned is my estimate of the total expenses (tuition + living)

Cheers!
KrYpTiCKluE

Hi KrYpTiCKluE,

This is Vipin. I also applied for HKU. I have got final admission letter. What abt you? My profile is:

GMAT Score: 710
Work Ex: 4 Years (IT Consulting)

Is there anybody who has information (Job Prospects and Faculty) more about University Of hong Kong - Faculty of Business and Economics.

Hey Vipin,

Due to a weird turn of events, I never ended up applying to HKU even though it was right on top of my list. I have an admit to ISB which was second on my list and I am going there.

I have a fair amount of info about the school ( though not exhaustive by any means)... if you want to talk, you can call me on +919886300141.

Cheers!
KrYpTiCKluE (Varun)

Hi KrypticKlue,
Congrats on ISB... could You share some info about the job prospects after an MBA from HKU.. I got an admit and I have to take up the admit in a couple of days. you can email on [email protected] as well..