Help from Seniors - IIML vs CFA

The results would be out soon and I think I should be able to make the cut. But this brings out the conundrum, should I join the institute or not? Would CFA be a better option than IIML? Currently I am working as a software engineer and am taki…

The results would be out soon and I think I should be able to make the cut. But this brings out the conundrum, should I join the institute or not? Would CFA be a better option than IIML?
Currently I am working as a software engineer and am taking the CFA LI in June. If all goes well, I should be able to get an entry level job in an i-bank. If I donot join IIML, I would have 2 years of valuable experience by 2009- the year in which I would have passed out. I am not sure which is more valuable the 2 years experience or the MBA degree from IIML.
I am told not many global i-banks go to IIML and the position offered won't be much better than the one I would have after two years of experience.

Please seniors give your valuable inputs and help me out!

PS: CFA here refers to the one offered by The CFA Institute, US.

most of the B school students are pursuing CFA alongwith their MBA. If they can manage it, then I am sure you can also do it. My take would be join IIML and continue your CFA studies along with the course :thumbsup:

dude r u sure u would be able to get an entry level job in an I bank , after doin CFA L1?

amitnsitian Says
most of the B school students are pursuing CFA alongwith their MBA. If they can manage it, then I am sure you can also do it. My take would be join IIML and continue your CFA studies along with the course :thumbsup:

Pusuing CFA is not the question. The problem is the opportunity costs of two years at IIML. I would be foregoing two years of experience in the field. If the job profile after MBA and the profile after two years of work aren't much different, then I might have to think again!
Buddy ...

Plzzz PM the person if u have any specific queries & dont post on the thread...

As far as ur ques is concerned , Entry Level Job after CFA L1 wud depend on other factors like ur educational background & work experience & i believe it wud be tough for a fresher to find a job after CFA L1 ..

It is sometimes tough to get the job but then most of my friends/batchmates have been able to get the job. So I am quite optimistic and hopeful about my job prospects.
Buddy ...

Plzzz PM the person if u have any specific queries & dont post on the thread...

As far as ur ques is concerned , Entry Level Job after CFA L1 wud depend on other factors like ur educational background & work experience & i believe it wud be tough for a fresher to find a job after CFA L1 ..

It wasnt a query/ question dude.. It was just a plain rhetoric....

@khali: I think wait till IIML comes out with its results....
khali Says
Pusuing CFA is not the question. The problem is the opportunity costs of two years at IIML. I would be foregoing two years of experience in the field. If the job profile after MBA and the profile after two years of work aren't much different, then I might have to think again!

well, now that call you can take. its better to wait for the IIM result. then also, you will have ample time to decide about this
khali Says

MBA with CFA in long run prove more beneficial than the 2-yrs you are talking about
xcoolaryan Says
MBA with CFA in long run prove more beneficial than the 2-yrs you are talking about

guys,...MBA + CFA wud b awesome,.,..BUT it isnt dat easy.MANY ppl doin dat flunkt he CFA exam.i cleared Level 1 aftr quite a bit of effort...n am not using self as a benchmark...but wid d hectic schedule of MBA..CFA wunt b easy.plus most ppl doin the CAF r alsdrdy int he industry..n have got hands-on knowledge.directly jumping in the CFA wid no prior expereince or bckgrnd will b VERY tough wid an MBA program !

If u r interested in gaining knowledge too, then doing a full time mba from iim in finance will get u much more knowledge than just the CFA exam.
It will also open doors to lot more opportunities.
May b if u dont do an mba now u will regret ur decision later. but if u do ur mba now u can clear CFA any time u want.
The learning u will get during 2 years if u pursue seriously will make CFA level 1 and 2 look much easier.

Regards
Amit
class of 2008
IIML

A bird in hand is worth 2 in a bush. If you already had an I-Bank job, then it would have been an intresting question. But assuming you get an IIM-L convert, you can't risk dropping it on a speculation that you would get an I-Bank job. Too many ifs and buts.

And as far as my knowledge goes, CFA is a great point on a MBA guy's resume. However I don't know if it has value by itself without a MBA. If it were so all the people running after I-Bank jobs would prefer to clear CFA instead of writing CAT and undergoing 2 years of MBA

The results would be out soon and I think I should be able to make the cut. But this brings out the conundrum, should I join the institute or not? Would CFA be a better option than IIML?
Currently I am working as a software engineer and am taking the CFA LI in June. If all goes well, I should be able to get an entry level job in an i-bank. If I donot join IIML, I would have 2 years of valuable experience by 2009- the year in which I would have passed out. I am not sure which is more valuable the 2 years experience or the MBA degree from IIML.
I am told not many global i-banks go to IIML and the position offered won't be much better than the one I would have after two years of experience.

Please seniors give your valuable inputs and help me out!

PS: CFA here refers to the one offered by The CFA Institute, US.

hey Khali....am glad i found sm1 like myself.....i've also got an admit into a couple of b-schools and i am a former software engineer too....and have the same aim as urs.....i wud seriously advise u to go ahead with ur L convert and join.....since u'll be completing the CFA Lev 1 this june only....so it'll be much easier for u to study Finance related subjects at IIML. and then u can also pass Lev 2 and also Lev 3 if u manage ur time wisely. and take it like this ,,,,,within 2 yrs.... u'll have an MBA from a great B-skool and also atleast a Lev 2 if not Lev 3 CFA pass..!!!! so u just need to slog and slog and slog the next two years....and after u pass out u'll be offered a job at a much higher position (and salary). i think that wud b a much better scenario.....
also if u pass Lev 1 and start wrking who knows whether u'll get enuf time to prepare for the next level(s) along with the job???? atleast at IIM u'll remain in the flow of studying hard....so u can manage to study for CFA too....

and i feel the i-banks etc. will always give more weightage to a MBA+CFA than to a CFA alone. 'cos with MBA + CFA u'll be able to go in for both management and invtsmnt profile and u can rise up the ladder faster than just a plain CFA .
and anyways u'll need 4 yrs wrk-ex to get the charter ....so u can pass as many levels as u want while studying at L and then get the charter.
Also u can choose the profile u want during ur placements...and if u have passed lev 2 by the time u sit for placements then its a big +.

and remember its tough to find a decent job by doing just level 1 unless u just want to b a petty trader or smthing.
and first of all....CONVERT that L call dude....!!!!!!!!!