Hectic job & GMAT prep... Need suggestions ::>

Hi Guys, I’m B.Tech.(Met.) from REC Trichy, having 2 years of experience in the field of Sales & Marketing in two different MNCs of very high repute. I’m a GMAT aspirant. Now my question goes here… *My current job is very demandin…

Hi Guys,

I'm B.Tech.(Met.) from REC Trichy, having 2 years of experience in the field of Sales & Marketing in two different MNCs of very high repute. I'm a GMAT aspirant. Now my question goes here....

My current job is very demanding in the sense of time and dedication. As I said it's in the field of Sales & Marketing, it needs lot of local traveling within the city and takes lot of time & energy of mine. Working hours are like morning 8 to night 11 with no weekend holidays. The company and its renumeration are simply great but I'm just not finding even a single hour for my GMAT prep in a day. Very common answer to this situation for a firm GMAT candidate like me comes out to be- try to find some time out of a day... isnt it?? Yeah, but even I did that. It's really difficult to be in this job and find time because if I go for finding time for prep, it'll affect my performance and dedication to the job which will make it difficult to be in the company !

I've TWO options at this point of time... ONE is to leave the job, sit at home and prepare for GMAT and SECONDLY to leave this job and go for a new job which is of 8 hours working profile and requires less of dedication in the rest of the day.. i.e. call center etc. I personally feel that as I already have two years of good work exp, there won't be any harm in working for a call center for few months until I appear for GMAT and get admission into some known international B-school. I guess I can convince the interview panel for my leaving the said good job and an MNC and joining a call center, for this genuine reason.

For this situation please give me some suggestions.... how should I go ahead with this situation.... to leave the job and sit at home and prepare??? Or to leave this hectic job and go for a comparatively cool job like call center or something else which u could suggest for few months.... etc etc.

Regards,

-Tej.

1) get yourself familier with GMAT for a couple of months; be more active on pagalguy, read the posts in the GMAT thread, try to solve problems, post problems; in short, get yourself into problem solving mode, exercise ur grey cells...collect all materials you can...both softcopies and hardcopies
3) chalk out an extensive preparation plan for two months with one hour a day and five hrs on holidays...that should be more than enough...with a full time job, isse jayda kar nehi payoge...
4) leave your current job and jon a call centre...
5) write GMAT after two months...

btw, don't mention that u've quit ur high paying job to prepare for GMAT...that doesn't sound good; tussi khudhi intelligent ho, hum iske baremein aur kya bole ?
just tell that I joined a BPO to get exposure to the finance vertical of business...blah... blah...

all due respect, but i completely disagree with chandler...no offence.

Hi Guys,
I've TWO options at this point of time... ONE is to leave the job, sit at home and prepare for GMAT

That is an absolute and complete recipe for a disaster. Dont even think about having a gap right in the middle of a successful career. It will ruin your application, and career.

and SECONDLY to leave this job and go for a new job which is of 8 hours working profile and requires less of dedication in the rest of the day.. i.e. call center etc. I personally feel that as I already have two years of good work exp, there won't be any harm in working for a call center for few months until I appear for GMAT and get admission into some known international B-school. I guess I can convince the interview panel for my leaving the said good job and an MNC and joining a call center, for this genuine reason.

VERY BAD IDEA. Everyone in the US knows what happens at call centers...getting away with a tall story would be rather difficult. Move to the BPO space ONLY if you get profiles like marketing, data analyst, business development, process, quality, operations, etc. Customer service executive and other voice based profiles are a strict NO NO. Remember, GMAT is PART (in some cases, a small part) of your overall application. You cant committ a career suicide and score a 750 and expect to get into a good school. You do need a very good score, but u CAN position even a morderate and average score pretty well by adding other dimensions to you r application.

There is no option but to prepare for gmat along with your hectic job...please accept that reality. Start studying whenevr u can, get a feel of it, and then decide a realistic date around when you will be sufficiently preared to take the gmat. With an ordinary job, one can prepare for the gmat in about 45-60 days. in your case, i`d say allott about 100-120 days. Gmat does not require crazy slogging for hours, basic preparation will be sufficient for quant....some extra efforts will be required on the verbal front though.

I second CTD!!! Both the options are, like he said, a career suicide.

I have a heavy burden job as well. Well i work for lesser duration compared to u, but i do work for 12hrs per day on an average. I was able to give the preps proper time over the past 6 weeks or so and i was able to cover enough ground.

Just give a weekend for this stuff, collect all info. Make arrangements for all materials and start working on them. Sketch out a schedule which covers all possible deviations for aroud a month or two, where u try to cover basic material (Kaplan, Princeton for me). Do not do the OG during this time. Stick to ur schedule as if ur life depends on it (wel - it does ). Use the nights - sleeping at 3 for some 10 weeks isnt gonna be bad at all, and by the 2nd week you'll get used to it .

See how it goes. You'll know ur pace and ur progress. Hopefully, you must have covered ur schedule. Else give it some more time. With all this new info abt ur progress and confidence level, sketch a schedule for OG and book a date.

Having read ur post, i'd give that a 8 week schedule 1 and a 4 week schedule 2. So in about 3 months, you must be ready man!!!

Things to keep u motivated:
1. Keep reading up on posts made by ppl who've cracked GMAT. It is a real booster dose!!!
2. If you dive head first into this with commitment, you'll see that you like this stuff.
3. GMAT prep is fun - really!!!

Rock it man!!! ATB.

Iday

For this situation please give me some suggestions.... how should I go ahead with this situation.... to leave the job and sit at home and prepare??? Or to leave this hectic job and go for a comparatively cool job like call center or something else which u could suggest for few months.... etc etc.
Regards,
-Tej.

Hi Tej,

Try out what CTD and Iday say. They make sense. If, even after trying it, nothing is working for you, and leaving the current job is the only option, then please try for a good quality job which reduces/ eliminates travel from your schedule. Please do not compromise on the quality of job. Call centre will NOT do. It will work against your candidature.

Cheers

Hi Tej,

Like most of the guys here have already told you- DONT QUIT UR CURRENT JOB!!!!!
Call centre would be a disaster. One option that I have for you is see if you can reduce your sleep hours for a few days- though that doesnt work for every one but start trying.

Take One month sick leave with/without pay from your company- most good companies would agree to it. You continue to sow your workex with the current company and get time to study. Remember take the leave the month prior to taking the test. Another thing a continuous experience in one company for 2-3 years at the onset of your career speaks alot about your stability as well.

hope this helps

Adi