HEC Montreal MBA Fall 2012

Hello All, I am Mukul, currently pursuing MBA from HEC Montral. This thread is meant for all prospective applicants to HEC, Montral for the academic session beginning in Fall 2012. More about the College in my next post. If yo…

Hello All,

I am Mukul, currently pursuing MBA from HEC Montral.

This thread is meant for all prospective applicants to HEC, Montral for the academic session beginning in Fall 2012.

More about the College in my next post.

If you have any query regarding the admission process, visa requirements or any other question, please post them here.

Happy to answer all your queries.

Regards,
Mukul & Team
MBA, HEC Montral
Class of 2012

HEC Montral was founded in 1907 by the Chambre de commerce de Montral, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2007. HEC Montral currently has fifty research centres, including 22 research chairs. The student body is made up of approximately 12,000 students and the faculty consists of 250 professors.

HEC Montral's 12-month Intensive MBA program, offered in French and in English, brings together over 100 students from 20 different countries. The School holds the three most prestigious international accreditations, from AACSB International (United States), AMBA (United Kingdom) and EQUIS (Europe).

Official website : HEC Montral Business School | Montral, Qubec, Canada

More about the School and Rankings : HEC Montral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest Rankings(August 2011) : http://blogs-images.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen/files/2011/08/Best-1-year-non-US-bschools1.png

Important links:

Economist : Which MBA? HEC Montral
Business Week : Hec Montreal: Full-Time MBA Profile - BusinessWeek
MBA Tour : The MBA Tour: HEC Montral

Take your time to go through the above links and learn more about HEC Montral and feel free to post any query which comes to your mind.

Best of luck for your admissions.

The complete list of faculty can be found out at :

HEC Montral Corps professoral | Complete faculty list - Department of Management

The professors currently teaching us in our first trimester are:

1. Taieb Hafsi: He is an MBA From MIT Sloan and PhD from Harvard, has over 30 years of teaching experience and has been with HEC since 1984. More about him can be found at HEC Montral | Taeb Hafsi Professor . There is also a Wikipedia page on him; Google Translate

2. Olivier Bahn: He is PhD in Economics and Social Sciences. More about him at HEC Montral Olivier Bahn | Associate Professor

3. Claude Beaudoin: He is expert in Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Marketing. He is in Board of Directors of many Canadian Firms and has been a CEO himself. Currently purusing his passion i.e. coaching and mentoring MBA students at HEC, Montreal. More about him at HEC Montral Claude Beaudoin Adjunct Professor

4. Wendy Reid: She is an MBA and PhD from York University. More about her can be found at HEC Montral Wendy Reid Guest Professor

5. Jackie Di Vito: She is a MSc, PhD and a CMA. More about her at HEC Montral Jackie Di Vito Associate Professor

6. Robert Clark: He is a M.A and PhD in Economics from Univ of Western Ontario, more about him at HEC Montral | Robert Clark Associate Professor

Feel free to ask any question you have in your mind about the school and the admission process...

Hello Mukul,

Thanks for the info. I wanted to know bout the scholarship oppurtunities available in HEC Montreal.
My profile:

3 years work experience
gmat 660
bachelors in hotel management(bangalore) and 1 year post graduate diploma from humber college toronto

Thank you.

Hi Mukul,

I am interested in HEC 2012 session. I have a score of 610 GMAT IT exp 4 yrs, Extra curricular are good.
Is my score enough for the selection of application.

Thanks
Mayank

Hello All,

This is Suresh here, a current student of the intensive MBA program at HEC Montreal.

As you would often hear from MBA students and admissions committee, it is difficult to give an exact answer on admission prospects based only on GMAT scores. From what I know, HEC Montreal gives weightage to GMAT scores because that is the only common denominator for all candidates. However, the GMAT requirement is not that high. I will try to find out the average GMAT score for this year from the adcom. The average work experience for our batch is 7 yrs.

Should you have any questions about the program, please write to us and we will address those.

Regards,
Suresh

Hello Mukul,

Thanks for the info. I wanted to know bout the scholarship oppurtunities available in HEC Montreal.
My profile:

3 years work experience
gmat 660
bachelors in hotel management(bangalore) and 1 year post graduate diploma from humber college toronto

Thank you.

Hi Rohit,
There are various kind of Scholarships available...to start with...the entrance scholarship is based on your overall profile; gmat score, essays, work experience etc etc..it varies from one individual to another.
after you get in the school most of the scholarships are based on merit i.e. how you perform in exams.

Regards,
Mukul

Thanks Mukul for the prompt reply.
I have applied for the admission by sending the scanned copies of the transcripts and other documents.

What is the placement scenario there? are the placements local and how important is the knowledge of french language. I have started taking classes in french though.

Thanks again

HEC Montral was founded in 1907 by the Chambre de commerce de Montral, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2007. HEC Montral currently has fifty research centres, including 22 research chairs. The student body is made up of approximately 12,000 students and the faculty consists of 250 professors.

HEC Montral's 12-month Intensive MBA program, offered in French and in English, brings together over 100 students from 20 different countries. The School holds the three most prestigious international accreditations, from AACSB International (United States), AMBA (United Kingdom) and EQUIS (Europe).

Official website : HEC Montral Business School | Montral, Qubec, Canada

More about the School and Rankings : HEC Montral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest Rankings(August 2011) : http://blogs-images.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen/files/2011/08/Best-1-year-non-US-bschools1.png

Important links:

Economist : Which MBA? HEC Montral
Business Week : Hec Montreal: Full-Time MBA Profile - BusinessWeek
MBA Tour : The MBA Tour: HEC Montral

Take your time to go through the above links and learn more about HEC Montral and feel free to post any query which comes to your mind.

Best of luck for your admissions.

Hello Mukul ,

I wish to start my MBA in 2012 at HEC .
Thanks Mukul for the prompt reply.
I have applied for the admission by sending the scanned copies of the transcripts and other documents.

What is the placement scenario there? are the placements local and how important is the knowledge of french language. I have started taking classes in french though.

Thanks again

For placements - non French people generally move to Toronto and other places to pursue job oppurtunities as companies in Montreal 'generally' prefer people who are bilingual.

But having said that it is a great opportunity to learn french and you shouldnt miss it. Try to learn it as much as possible before coming here.
Hello Mukul ,

I have Close to 5 years of Work Ex in IT Industry here in India . I am holding a Bachelor's of Engineering Degree from Mumbai University . Recently i Gave the GMAT and scored a 610 . My Graduation percentage is 57.84 % . Is this good Enough for the MBA program at HEC Montreal ? I will not require a scholarship . I wish to start my MBA in 2012 at HEC .

Well considering GMAT and graduation % is on a lower side(4 indians in current batch have average gmat of 700), make sure you do very well in your essays and interview to compensate for your low gmat.
Its the 'overall' profile that matters and not just the gmat and undergrad score. But make sure you do excellent in the things that are in your hand now i.e. essays and interview.

Mukul ,

Appreciate the prompt reply and the inputs . I'd like to add that i've done some good work in the organisation i've worked in and should be able to generate some good references by my supervisors . I also have some community service, extra curricular activities to talk about in my application . Been a jack of all trades . Keeping my fingers crossed .

Kind Regards,

Mukul ,

Appreciate the prompt reply and the inputs . I'd like to add that i've done some good work in the organisation i've worked in and should be able to generate some good references by my supervisors . I also have some community service, extra curricular activities to talk about in my application . Been a jack of all trades . Keeping my fingers crossed .

Kind Regards,

Good..very good...best of luck !
keep me updated and ping me in case of any issues...

1. whats the avg w.ex of the class
2.how much does school grades matter or only college grades matter or if both.
3.does a good GMAT score help.
4.is scholarship available before admission or after admission (sorry for sounding a bit ignorant..i'm new to this mba school admissions under GMAT)
5.minimum how much scholarship is available.
6.what's the total cost including course fee ,living expenses..etc etc...

TIA

1. whats the avg w.ex of the class
2.how much does school grades matter or only college grades matter or if both.
3.does a good GMAT score help.
4.is scholarship available before admission or after admission (sorry for sounding a bit ignorant..i'm new to this mba school admissions under GMAT)
5.minimum how much scholarship is available.
6.what's the total cost including course fee ,living expenses..etc etc...

TIA

1. Average workex of the present batch is 7 years and average age is 32 years.
2. Undergrad grades matter much more than your 10th and 12th.
3. a big YES
4. First step is to secure admission. School can not offer scholarship unless they give you admission !
5. Minimum 0 to maximum 80%.
6. Course fees this year was 30k CAD for international students. Living expenses can be roughly between 8k-10k CAD for full year.

And an advise to all prospective students; please do some research before posting your queries. For questions such as average age/exp/batch size/course fees/living expenses etc...you can find details on the school's website.

Try to ask questions where you could not find answer on the internet and on school's website. This will save your and my time as well. I am here to solve your personal and important queries and not 'general' queries to which you can find answer almost everywhere !

I hope you all will appreciate the effort my team is putting to help you know the school better.

Thanks for the understanding.

Continue asking your doubts; hope we can see you all in Montreal next summer 😃

1.how's the placement there i mean is it the conventional Indian way or does a student need to reach out to the companies...

2.secondly i want to do mba in finance and my inclination is towards corporate finance.... so should i consider HEC Montreal ..i mean how's it for finance..

TIA..

1.how's the placement there i mean is it the conventional Indian way or does a student need to reach out to the companies...

2.secondly i want to do mba in finance and my inclination is towards corporate finance.... so should i consider HEC Montreal ..i mean how's it for finance..

TIA..

It is mixture of both...right now companies are coming to campus...today is deloitte, and in next 10 days BMO, RBC, CIBC, Casgrain, Banque Nationale etc are coming.

I have no clue about your background..plz tell what you have done(degree and experience) so that I can give my suggestions...

Excerpt from wiki page of HEC: 'HEC Montral is also well known for being a centre of financial expertise.On june 22 2009, the Financial Times listed HEC Montral's Msc programmes in finance (MSc in Finance, MSc in Financial Engineering and MSc in Financial Economics) among the best MSc in Finance programmes in the world.'

I gave wiki link in my 2nd post, you 'should' have read it along with other links I gave. If you have not done so, please do it.

And do let me know your background so that I can advice you better.

Thanks.
It is mixture of both...right now companies are coming to campus...today is deloitte, and in next 10 days BMO, RBC, CIBC, Casgrain, Banque Nationale etc are coming.

I have no clue about your background..plz tell what you have done(degree and experience) so that I can give my suggestions...

Excerpt from wiki page of HEC: 'HEC Montral is also well known for being a centre of financial expertise.On june 22 2009, the Financial Times listed HEC Montral's Msc programmes in finance (MSc in Finance, MSc in Financial Engineering and MSc in Financial Economics) among the best MSc in Finance programmes in the world.'

I gave wiki link in my 2nd post, you 'should' have read it along with other links I gave. If you have not done so, please do it.

And do let me know your background so that I can advice you better.

Thanks.

sir i'm b.tech (bio medical engg)..but i have no interest in it and want to shift to finance ..i plan to apply with good amt .of w.ex like 5-6 years and my w.ex would be in PSU Banking (commercial banking)..but i would like to shift to the corporate finance domain post mba..