Harvard Business School

Hey guys This thread is dedicated to people who have applied to HBS. I just got an interview call from Harvard Business School and I am totally freaking out right now. They have some international locations where they are coming for…

Hey guys

This thread is dedicated to people who have applied to HBS.

I just got an interview call from Harvard Business School and I am totally freaking out right now.

They have some international locations where they are coming for interviews but none of those are in India. They are also offering a telephonic interview which I hope to get a slot for.

Do you guys think that there is an obvious disadvantage of a telephonic interview over an in-person interview.

Secondly, I couldn't find out a thread dedicated to HBS on PG and so I started this one. Could someone help me find out the experiences of previous PG members with HBS interviews.

Hey Sahil

I am in Hyderabad right now and all the locations are either in Europe or America. It is practically infeasible for me to travel to these locations.
Are you also in India currently ?

Is it so important that I should travel for the interview? It will create a big hole in my pocket.

btw, whats your profile and when did you receive an interview invitation ?

Hi guys, good to see quite a few people getting invites..I got one too.
I will give a face to face interview too...man its HBS!!!...nt decided on the place yet. i am in delhi currently...

ATB to all.
Mayank

Hey Guys

Now that you have put it this way, I am also thinking of doing a face to face interview.

Hey Mayank, do you want create a plan to go to a place together and do the interview ?

We could have some fun in Europe :smile:

I thought Harvard had only one business school???

neo_joe,
Please search. PG has a thread on nearly every b-school.

harvard Threads - Forum Tags by Zoints

Congrats and all the best for the interviews guys!

Have you guys heard of any other Indians who've gotten invites...just want to check if it's still worth waiting...:whatthat:

I was pretty much expecting an invite with my profile: 26/ male/ IIT/ 3yrs WE at top 10 global MC/ very strong academic and professional background

Just disappointed...please lemme know if there are any other Indians out there who've gotten invites...seems like it's time to move on...

Congrats and all the best for the interviews guys!

Have you guys heard of any other Indians who've gotten invites...just want to check if it's still worth waiting...:whatthat:

I was pretty much expecting an invite with my profile: 26/ male/ IIT/ 3yrs WE at top 10 global MC/ very strong academic and professional background

Just disappointed...please lemme know if there are any other Indians out there who've gotten invites...seems like it's time to move on...

The admissions blog says that you can expect them to send out an invitation even few days before the last day. But that being said, it will be your personal choice to wait or not wait.

You haven't received any communication from them yet, right ?

The HBS blog say that for R1 HBS send out 850 interview invites. On Nov. 11, 08 they sent 750 of them. There are 100 that remain. So its upto you to decide whether to wait or not! Congrats to all who got invites and all the best for your interviews!

Yup, I guess there's no point waiting...but just curious coz I haven't heard from many Indians (on this forum or Businessweek) if they received invites...

that's why just wanted to know if you guys have any idea if there are any other lucky Indians out there...thx!

Congrats to all for most covered HBS invites.I intend to apply next year.
Wish you good luck for interviews.

Coolmayank ,i sent you.Please do reply when you get time.

coolmayank123 Says
Anyone else getting a call from H...anyone got a call from W...please share ur profile

Your PS message shows that your HBS interview is already done. How did it go. Did you take in person or over the phone ?

Hi there!
This is Mohinder (HBS MBA Class of 2010). I'm back at PG after 3 months! Lemme know if I can be of any help.

Mo

I am an Applicant for R2 in my last leg of finishing the essays.. Any one whose applying in R2?

S

sahiljain22 Says
Not me. Good Luck with the apps and keep us posted on how things go.

Definitely.. I think writing wharton essays first helped me with framing the ideas.. so Harvard essays arent taking all that time ...The only thing now is iam looking for a 3rd recommender..

I dont see any action in Wharton/HBS threads.. which is a little scary because if ur an Indian applicant to US schools , u have 2b on pagalguy..

thanks a lot for the wishes...

S
haha .. well I applied R1 and interestingly, I first met other R1 applicants only after the interview calls went out and this thread was created.

so it's probably the fact that folks are busy writing and thinking (and not posting).

seems like you are making good progress !

sahil did u apply to wharton by any chance.. I have been visiting lot of forums..like gmatclub , businessweek where the action on Wharton thread is lot.. and frm what i can make it ..this year the WL number stands very very high.. i have some very very interesting and beautiful profiles on WL..this is something that we need to think off.

All the best for ur HBS results.. another 20-25 days to go, I wish u all the success..

S
nah .. Wharton was a R2 choice and I never got to it. Applied to Kellogg (admit), HBS (interview) and Sloan (dinged without interview).

I heard some big horror stories about Wharton too on BW forums and some other blogs, mostly about people with background in finance (IB, PE etc.) From my understanding, the applicant pool this year is very very skewed in more than one way. A lot of people with good backgrounds are applying, the schools are being very very careful and folks with 2-3 years of WE are competing with others who have 5-6 yrs of WE for the same spots. As a matter of fact, someone I know who applied to HBS had a couple of subordinates at work who were HBS grads. From a candidate's and from the school's point of view, this has many implications.

So, I agree things are different. We need to be careful. Most importantly, I felt while writing my essays that we need to distinguish ourselves more strongly than before, and in a more succinct and recognizable way.

BTW, whats your profile?

I am an Indian, 26 M, First attempt chartered Accountant and Cost and Management accountant. I have 4.5 yrs of post qualification experience.. but my Articleship of 3 years is also considered as worked.. which takes it to 7.5 years. into Top I banks 😞 ...( May be being an Indian I banker will help ).... 1 year of intl experience in whole of europe and NY..very good extra curriculars/community services and very decent leadership roles..

Hi sahil.. my other doubt was... why is none of the questions of HBS traditional ones..like "why MBA", "why HBS" , "ST/LT goals" and "why now"... how will the adcom get to know abt the fit of the applicant then ... None of the essays even have the scope to write abt these issues...

any clue?

Sudhir

Hi Mayank ... i understand what u said... yes its definitely not very career oriented essays and u need to show them how well involved ur with community , ur society and yes above all leadership...Harvard = Leadership

As u correctly said .. we dont have to cook stories here..we have to be very honest... i for one have done lot for the community/society which i dont wanna boast off.. but while doing all these i never knew i would have used them here... i am absolutely loving writing Harvard essays... i said writing wharton essays would help because.. the first thing i do when writing essays is jot down all the ideas.. be it leadership.. community ..extra curricular... so i dont have to recollect again abt the stories which i wanna pick up...

i am applying only to Harvard and wharton ... u probably have seen my profile as well.. i hope my essays and overall application pulls me ...

i think we need more action on these 2 threads....

regards

Sudhir

Hey mayank ... i think that we are drafting the posts ....its creating confusions.... i absolutely concur ur view... pm me ur phone number ... i will pm u mine just after this ... let talk over the phone ... I stay in Hyderabad..

more on the phone 😃

regds

Sudhir

Congrats Sahil & coolmayank for HBS int invite! Great job. Thanks Mayank for starting a thread for HBS.
I also got interviewd with HBS, and waiting for the result.
So far I have been admitted to Kellogg, Chicago Booth, Wharton and interviewd with HBS, Stanford, MIT (although withdrew my application from MIT) after Kellogg admit.
So far lening towards Kellogg, as I feel I am a good fit there, but ofcourse all bets are off for Stanford and HBS.

I am an older applicant (will be 31 next february), so I am not sure about Stanford and HBS, as there is a lot of talk about HBS and Stan going for younger applicant.
Mohinder, can you please share your HBS experience to validate/bust the myth about HBS going for younger crowd?

Good luck to all for R2 apps and keep your fingers crossed sahil and mayank:-)